1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Assetto Corsa Sound is still improving? -opinions

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Michele Papis, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

great post, explains a lot! I wonder why they chose to do that for internal sound (1 track for on throttle 1 for coast) could it be a performance thing? there must be a pretty good reason.

i've been wondering for a while why f5 cam in cockpit sounds so much better than f1. f5 is a little OTT for cockpit but shows some variation atleast.

2. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Overall improved in past 6 months or so.. in JP, RP, 3P. Some sounds that could be better, but difference to some of old cars is night and day.

Here interesting post from Luca. Seems AC sound improvements aren't so simple thing... because of modders.
    This was about FXX K internal shift sounds on "Audio bugs" subforum, but it is universal thing, not just that car.

3. F2kSel

F2kSel Racer

As mentioned in one of the online reviews the engine start up is very electronic sounding.

4. Fonsecker

Fonsecker Alien

Thats just how the sounds works in the past 10 years in all racing games. For some of my new sound mods (Soundpack 3 available soon™) i use a new technique where i have 3 tracks for internal sounds: 1 for 100% off throttle, 1 for 100% on throttle and one third track for mid throttle position. So it will be more dynamic.

There is no performance hit , but u need for this real good recording and most of the youtube videos i have, are not good enough for this technique.
    The Mazda MX5 Cup, BMW M3 E30 DTM and the McLaren F1 GTR (and the sound for the Caterham mod) will have this internal sounds technique.

liakjim and Dean Ogurek like this.
  5. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

I agree that iRacing sounds tend to be more dynamic overall and both it and AMS have proper gearbox / drive-train physics modeled that make the sounds and car behavior much more convincing. iRacing also uses a custom-built sound-engine based on fMod and has proper drive-train modeling. AMS now has a more advanced drive-train model than what rF1 used and when Reiza switches to a new sound-engine next year, the results should be even more apparent. I wouldn't be surprised to see them setting the bar in Racing-Sim sounds based on their work.

No amount of audio wizardry can replace the proper linkage between audio and physics if the fundamental code is not in place. In order for AC sounds to get to the next level, there needs to be a focused effort to include the feature but, I fear it may be too late for that in AC just as it was in Pcars. The fear of a major bug becomes overwhelming as the title expands beyond a certain point and now that AC is multi-platform, the option to add such a feature becomes less likely.

In Pcars case, early development talks included such a feature (advanced drive-train model) but, it was later abandoned due to complexity reasons, console limitations and lack of resources / time; the end result was a very disappointing and unconvincing feeling of driving-dynamics. No matter how much bling and fluff you add to that title, it just feels wrong to drive because our senses know something is missing. In Pcars case, there's more to what's missing but, it still speaks to missing physics components and artificial attempts to compensate can be like applying lipstick to a pig.

For those of us that that sense such details (or lack of) in modeling car physics - both driving and mechanical aspects, it can be quite hard to find ourselves immersed in the driving experience and that's why some titles can be more convincing even though they may lack nice graphics or other features we value otherwise. I tend to think of these things (physics detail / driving dynamics / mechanical connection) as being something of an "X-Factor" in Racing-Sim's. For titles that have it; many people don't know why it works, it just does.

AC already has a certain "X-Factor" of it's own but, it doesn't have to exclude the link between sound and drive-train model either, we need more people to request the feature and voice an appeal to have it added. That aside, Kunos have certainly improved their title in many ways and the sounds are among those IMO, for which I am grateful.

liakjim and Andy-R like this.
  6. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

im glad you can put it into words Dean, that is the biggest issue with AC for me. I really rate iRacing sounds. if AC could capture that joy of accelerating in AC like in RL and iR with the legendary cars we have it would be amazing!!!

Dean Ogurek likes this.
  7. ouvert

ouvert Alien

i think new cars are getting better, few of them accualy sounds pretty good ... but the sound from idle going up until engine sample kicks in (or whatever is going on) makes me wanna "alt-F-four-myself" from that digital artificial hell .. but with R3E and AMS around they are kind of limping behind in this department .. right now it is like having nice GTO in good shape but with broken exoust system ...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  8. plaid

plaid Alien

Cars, cars, cars...

Do you even ambiance?!

Granted the dude with the sirene could be a bit less enthusiastic.

9. Salajutsu

Salajutsu Hardcore Simmer

It's not the volume necessarily, but more, the pollution of sounds. If you turn the opponent volume down, they become too quiet when you're right next to, or behind them. Fixes the further distance, but breaks close proximity.
    I for one like the loud drowning of other cars (depending on which ones) when you're near them. But add to that 50 feet and 5 minutes of reverb decay, and it loses immersion. Well, not immersion, clarity.

10. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Ok, I understand. Anyway, I'm with most of you, improve dynamics, transmission and idle-sounds, make proper stereo for 2.1 use on all samples, edit: tyresounds, and finally: why the hell would you not alter the code to improve it, just because of mods?? I think ks already dropped da bomb on modders, so please go ahead and make things happen :)

Ps: yesyes, easier said than done..

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  11. liakjim

liakjim Alien

Exactly that.
    Personally I have 5 mod cars in my disk which I rarely use since there are almost no server including any of them.
    As such, I would choose better sounds for official cars over some mods a million time.

Στάλθηκε από το m2 note μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Michele Papis likes this.
  12. Jos_theboss

Jos_theboss Hardcore Simmer

Dont forget better tyre sounds.

Tberg and Michele Papis like this.
  13. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Actually one thing that pCars does alright.

Are the tyre sounds locked in AC? Haven´t seen or hear much about modded sounds here.

14. Fonsecker

Fonsecker Alien

No u can create your own tyre sounds but only in sound mods. U cannot just change the tyre sounds from a car and let the rest original. In 2-3 weeks i release my new sound pack and some of the new cars also have new tyre sounds :cool:

At least it makes nothing better if u feed a new supersoundenginelinkedtophysicwishlistcrap with the same old samples.
    Remember the switch from the old crapy NKPro sound engine to FMOD. Cars like Lotus Elise didn´t changed at all because of the same samples they used.

Sure, i would love to see a transmission physic model like in Raceroom, would make the sounds more real, but as KS said, its a lot of work and they even don´t have data to do it, i doubt they make it in the next few years.

I like the sound engine and i have proved more than once that with good samples, it sounds not that bad ;)

Michele Papis and liakjim like this.
  15. Jos_theboss

Jos_theboss Hardcore Simmer

Strange that you cannot adjust the tyre sounds for an original car :(

16. Fonsecker

Fonsecker Alien

tyre sounds are part of the sound bank and u cannot change sounds of an existing sound bank. Only way to change it is to create a new bank with all sounds new.

17. Of Course it isn't all bad at all, but a lot of things need to be improved... I've made this video to the nice sounds of Japanese cars at release of the pack, not bad at all ;)

rycil likes this.
  18. Fonsecker

Fonsecker Alien

95% of the external sounds of AC are great! The weak sounds are the internal, the one usually are more easy to create...

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

ouvert likes this.
  19. ouvert

ouvert Alien

yep .. only external part that is bad almost in every case is that reving in neutral he is doing on that video

20. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

I don't think the stock internal sounds are weak. It needs volume balancing, a more dynamic sound scape based on what the car is doing (like the drivetrain, brakes, tyres, chassis...) and such but the engine sounds themselves are pretty authentic and overall very good to me. And external sound will never sound great until the sound engine they utilise can simulate proper physical audio in real-time. It'll always lack realistic propagation and reverb making it very hard to get realistic sound on track.

rycil and Michele Papis like this.