1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

PS4 Assetto Corsa vs Project Cars.

Discussion in 'Console Lounge' started by Stevesixty7, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Stevesixty7

Stevesixty7 Racer

Why am I finding Project Cars more difficult to drive than Assetto Corsa? I love both games, but I enjoy PCars the most due to the shifter and clutch use, Assetto doesn't seem to support it as well. PCars is also realistic as is Assetto, but I can control the cars in Assetto much easier. What am I missing? In PCars I set everything to real. In Assetto, I set things relevant to the car I drive. I love both games, but PCars has been the most difficult.

These are my findings, it's not a competition, I welcome your feedback.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Chit Chat Room Assetto corsa 2 Tuesday at 10:25 AM
    Console Lounge How to share clips to Assetto Corsa club Mar 17, 2024
    ACC General Discussions An official Assetto Corsa discord server please. (iracing, raceroom, and gt7 has one) Mar 16, 2024
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Assetto corsa competizione ps5 Mugello best track Mar 14, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting Assetto Corsa Competizione UE4-AC2 Game has crashed and will close. Feb 25, 2024
    Chit Chat Room Assetto Corsa 2 Silence Feb 22, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting Moving Game Files from One Drive to C:\Users\Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione Feb 19, 2024
    News and Announcements Assetto Corsa Competizione v1.9.8 hotfix update OUT NOW! Feb 1, 2024
    Bug reports Assetto Corsa Competizione PS5 Version 1.9.7 Wipers Bug Jan 29, 2024
    News and Announcements Assetto Corsa Competizione v1.9.7 hotfix update OUT NOW! Jan 26, 2024
    News and Announcements Assetto Corsa Competizione v1.9.6 update and GT2 Pack DLC are OUT NOW! Jan 24, 2024
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Unable to Play Assetto Corsa on Steam due to Malicious code found by AV Jan 5, 2024
    General modding discussion TOP 10 car mods for Assetto Corsa Dec 30, 2023
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Assetto Corsa won't launch thru steam Dec 19, 2023
    Chit Chat Room Assetto Corsa 2 Trailer Dec 18, 2023

3. Slamdrunken

Slamdrunken Racer

Realistic physics doesn't always mean difficult to drive physics, you'll be surprise how easy some cars are to push beyond the limit IRL & how some others will beat the crap of out of you at 70kph.

4. iwanchek

iwanchek Simracer

When I was preordering pCars from day one game behaves strange. Ok, on then beginning Ive to say I was on a controller, but still, for me GT3 car were ONLY driveable, other cars were undriveable,
    Switched to Assetto and from the first moment I felt the game, ok missing few things, BUT game got huge potential and the upcoming update will bring us private lobbies and other improvements which will make even more fun driving the cars.

The most aspect of the booth games is the community-in pCars the community is rotten but here in AC is just amazing + you get to chat with the developers, they inform you about everything etc.....

I of course respect your opinion but in my eyes the AC as a whole game is far more superior then pCars + the community, almost everyday you hear from the devs what's up.....

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. SlimCharles

SlimCharles Alien

Assetto Corsa physics are much deeper.

Where is the magic trick? Force feedback. Assetto has one of the best (if not the best) force feedback in the market, while PCars is one of the worst in the world of serious racing games.

6. Stevesixty7

Stevesixty7 Racer

The Devs from both reply, and that is brilliant mate. I just find the cars are harder to drive in PCars. The shifter doesn't work well in Assetto, they need to address that. I'm using a G29 and shifter btw.

bradleyland, Grijo and paul_wev like this.
  7. Stevesixty7

Stevesixty7 Racer

Force feedback isn't everything though, it might be for some. I can't use my shifter on Assetto, it's not good, I have to use the paddles.

Grijo and paul_wev like this.
  8. danowat

danowat Hardcore Simmer

Don't fall into the all to common sim racing trap of thinking 'hard to drive equals realistic'.

Some of the cars in PCars handle unbelievably badly.

9. xela1

xela1 Racer

well, pcars looks amazing good also on 8.1.17. but deep love is depend on inner values (my parents told me). AC is well provided with these values like physics and fb. Best is both like my wife .... :cool:

10. SlimCharles

SlimCharles Alien

Yes, it is everything. Only two things are involved on driving: physics and force feedback. Physics are deeper in Assetto for sure: the cars have much more complex reactions, inertias penalize a lot more your driving, it is easier to lose the rear of the car...

Force feedback makes possible to control with more accuracy this more complex physics. The Force Feedback in assetto communicates much better when the car is overstearing and how, it communicate much better if the car is understearing or not, if the car is getting loosey, if the car hits a bump, if you have fewer grip... etc

11. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Hardcore Simmer

It's easier because you can feel the car (better: each car with its unique characteristics) in Assetto Corsa - you know what your car is doing.
    Like others have already said: AC's physics are deeper and AC's FFB is more refined.
    I find the cars of/in Project Cars more difficult to drive because I can't really feel the car through my G27.
    Thus, I have to look (with the eyes) for hints/feedback what the car is doing (e.g. how the car reacts to a bump). In AC I can feel the bump immediately - very subtle; so I can react to it a lot faster and have, concordantly, more control.

Exactly, what you wrote. :)

12. Dafunk

Dafunk Rookie

When i was playing Pcars i never felt much what the back of the car was doing, and all those ffback option :eek: If i remember well the AC developers said one time that the FFback code for ac is just few line of code and not something super super complicated.

About the shifter problem, have you tried to activate it from the options menu? it should work anyway i guess, but maybe disabling and re-enabling that option will fix the problem.

paul_wev likes this.
  13. Kembro

Kembro Hardcore Simmer

Prefer AC for the progressive handling physics others have mentioned and 'feel'. Haven't been back to PCars since.

I'm also using a G29 on PS and have recently set the H shifter up. From memory I set 'H shifter to on' in one screen and 'auto clutch off' along with 'auto blip to off'. It will still be paddle shift if that's what it has irl as well as auto blip. Takes a bit swapping back to right foot braking and heel/toe down changes, but personally I find it more fun.

14. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

It's been a few years since I last drove PCars, so I don't judge or compare it here.
    I do remember what it was like, but since it's been so long I don't know how it is today.

Anyway, the part about being difficult to drive is mostly just wrong.

Until the 2015 season the german F1 free-tv broadcast was split to two channels, the free-practice was covered in full length, but the commentator was always paired with either racing drivers, engineers or racing team crews.

I remember two different ppl. talking about that, one race engineer and one racing driver/race-driving instructor.

The cars are built to be easy to drive, especially the endurance cars like GT3, GT4, GT2/GTE or single-make like 911 Cup.
    Yeah, they could make them faster, but the minor improvements often mean higher tyre wear or simply the drivers lose more time by doing mistakes in the harder to drive car than they can gain with a clean lap.

Of course, to win the drivers really need to push to the limit and sometimes over it and then the cars can get tricky, but at the pace of (above) average drivers the cars are meant to be easy to drive.
    Also so they are less stress to drive and concentrate over a stint or in 6h, 12h or even 24h races.

Another quote was that sometimes instructors of pros for the Cup racers can result in significant improvements. One instructer mentioned that a slight tweak in setup (like a bit softer suspension and more aero on rear) results in 1.5s-2s improvement on a track like Spa.

Though the pure setup may only be two or three tenth, but the drivers sometimes can trust the car more as it's easier to drive on the limit and so the driver can improve a lot by driving the car closer to it's potential.

And this is a point I really like in AC, sometimes minor tweaks in the setup can make a big difference.
    Like a while back as I drove the 650S GT3 and it was very unpredictable and edgy on the rear, with snappy turn-in and/or lift off oversteer.
    A bit of tuning the setup (toe and suspension/dampers) and the car was way more stable, so I could really improve my pace.

So, if the setup is ok and fits your style of driving, AC can be quite easy to drive.

Stevesixty7, paul_wev and Kembro like this.
  15. DonZmeuheu

DonZmeuheu Hardcore Simmer

I like them both, but Assetto Corsa offers you a greater driving experience which imo is unbeatable on the console.

paul_wev and Kembro like this.
  16. iwanchek

iwanchek Simracer

Hmmm I preordered pCars from day one I was writing on the forum, critizining the **** out of the game bcoz it was a big pile of instead giving feedback they banned my *** immediately! Banned me like few times then I gave up on the forum and on the ****ty game.

Stella Stig a YouTube made a video how the CEO Ian Bell from pCars insults dudes who payed solid money for the game but get rekt by the CEO, this is not the way IMO!

Harder?! They're not harder they're more realistic then the one from pCars mate. You've to just take your time as I did. I drive all the time GT3 McLaren in pCars drove it here in AC for the first time I couldn't believe myself how different the handling is!!!

Your problem will be solved Monday or Thursday when the new update will arrive :)

paul_wev likes this.
  17. OriginalR6kid

OriginalR6kid Hardcore Simmer

Ive been involved in a tt that has been running an identical track/car combination between pcars and ac, using the same temp and time of day.. http://consoleracing.boards.net/post/4981
    Pcars has been consistently 4-5 seconds a lap faster than ac,and the ac times have been much closer to irl times.

I've not experienced any issues with manual clutch on ac using the thrustmaster tx on xbox?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    paul_wev and Kembro like this.
  18. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

Do you drive in real life? Which one is closer to real driving to you? To me AC is much closer to my real life driving experience which makes it my preferred SIM over PCars, but it should not matter to you, what should matter to you is which one feels better for you. If it is PCars then enjoy it.

19. Grijo

Grijo Simracer

Steve my man, how are you? I hope you´re fine and healthy. I was reading what you wrote and let me tell you my personal experience with those two games. I´ll stick only in the handling subject.

In racing cars, I prefer Project Cars. I think they react more like I expect from a race car. For example, the Mercedes SLS GT3. In Project Cars it feels more powerful, awesome braking capability, with an excellent grip and even with TC off, is more controlable than in AC. In my opinion, race cars in Project Cars are more predictible.

The road cars feels strange. With a gamepad they react in a horrible way, uncontrolable and not predictible at all. With a wheel it´s better (now I have a G29), but still feels floaty or something like that, I can´t feel the tyre grip, the road, it´s not really good. But the road cars in AC feels real, predictible, you can feel the road, the tyres fighting to keep it in the track, the work of the suspension, the weight transfer, in other words, an awesome experience.

In my opinion, both are great in your own way and complement each other. I have both, I like both: when I want to use a race car, Project Cars is the name. Some road car racing? AC it is.

Bultaco85, Maxx69 and Stevesixty7 like this.
  20. iwanchek

iwanchek Simracer

But that"more controllable"is real performance of the car or fake? I would say that otherwise-in pCars all GT3 cars are predictable, same breaking point, same shift pattern same everything at least that's what I experienced during my pCars love affair, when switched to AC I really notice the difference, GT3 cars are having more grip, they're more "live", you can actually feel the car, grip, movement....so maybe easier to drive if/when you master it.

xela1 likes this.
  21. Grijo

Grijo Simracer

I don´t know, I don´t have any real experience with race cars. Like I said, I think they react more like I expect from a race car. And it´s not only the GT3 but basically all race cars. In AC they feel a little "loose" for me, I don´t know how to explain exactly. But it´s just how I feel, I´m not creating a discussion or something. It´s only my experience with these games, nothing more.

Maxx69 likes this.