1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Basic tips for clean online racing

Discussion in 'Screens & Videos' started by Akis Kev, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Akis Kev

Akis Kev Alien

A lot of the things I mention may seem obvious, but judging from my online experience they are not!!!
    Let's go!

1. Be cool and try to give space to others at the start of the race. Avoid aggressive moves at the first corner. Most accidents happen there. Don't forget that your tires are still cold!
    2. If you have high ping (above 200), be extra careful or even consider disconnecting. Others will see your car teleporting around and it will be very difficult to race bumper to bumper.
    3. Always use the virtual mirror (F11).
    4. Use the map application so you can see where the other cars are. Consider using this radarstyle-App
    5. If you hit someone by accident, wait for him and give his position back when it is safe to do so.
    6. If you get out of the track, be extra careful when rejoining it. Be sure that noone is coming when you rejoin or come out of the pits. Rejoin the track parallel to the track edge, not perpendicular.
    7. When you are getting lapped by the first racers, just stay where you are. Don't try to change your line, because that's not what is expected. You are expected to hold your line and just let the first drivers pass.
    8. If you run in a multiclass server, be careful at the braking points. Other cars may brake earlier/later than yours.
    9. Don't divebomb. For example if you are more than one care length behind the car in front, don't dive into the corner. Just wait for the right opportunity for a clean pass.
    10. Don't use other cars as brakes :D
    11. If you see smoke or wreckage in front, go slower. If you try to pass at full speed, there is a high probability that you'll wreck too!
    12. Enable chat-app, so you can apologize (sry)/see that the other guy feels sorry. This helps calming down.
    13. Be predictable.

Respect your opponents and have clean and nice races!
    See you on the tracks ;)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  2. Skyline slut

Skyline slut Rookie

Thanks for making this post, online races are usually disasters in the first laps. I hope mad drivers will look at this post :D

Some people think they're playing need for speed

3. raceface

raceface Gamer

Here's something I like to do. If ya get in a race room that says there are 10 drivers and there are actually only two or three of you.. I like to start the race and if I see the others dropping back or get track penalties,
    I like to slow up, and regroup and keep the racing tight. Usually the other drivers recognize what you are doing and return the favor. Good practice at keeping it clean and close.

4. Bailey

Bailey Alien

Decent list you have here.
    I would change a few things though off of the top of my head.
    5. If you hit someone by accident, wait for him and give his position back when it is safe to do so.
    6. If you get out of the track, be extra careful when rejoining it. Be sure that noone is coming when you rejoin or come out of the pits. Rejoin the track parallel to the track edge, not perpendicular.
    8. Be careful at the braking points. Other cars may brake earlier/later than yours, especially if you run in a multiclass server.
    12. Be predictable.

The reason for #5 is that I have seen people try to give places back, only to cause another incident or hold another person up.
    The reason for #6 is rather apparent when you visualize it.
    The reason for #12 is to lessen the number of accidents during the course of the race. I could give a few examples if necessary.
    ~Bailey

Akis Kev and GTHQ_koop like this.
  5. Akis Kev

Akis Kev Alien

You're absolutely right Bailey!

6. Deatroy

Deatroy Alien

13. Join a club/league or else public will be always crashfest.

7. WallyM

WallyM Alien

That's a very good summary of what it takes. I would add:

Be aware of where the car is that's just gone out of sight behind you. He's probably in your blind spot. Judge whether he was fast enough to make a pass into the corner, figure if he'll be narrow or wide on the track, and give him legitimate room without squeezing him off the track. E.g. if you can assume that he's about to make a legitimate pass on the inside entering a corner, stay wide yourself on corner exit so you don't end up just drifting back across the track and squeezing your opponent out of room.

8. adi518

adi518 Hardcore Simmer

Sad, but some idiots really do need such an educational video.

9. One word can sum up most rules about racing, both online and in real life: Respect

Without respecting other racers, the circuit you're racing or the car you're driving, you haven't got a realistic chance of racing with others time and time again.

10. mike9572

mike9572 Racer

Main rule: start assetto corsa with offline practice. A looooooooot of practice before joining online rooms...

11. ChrisR

ChrisR Alien

Go race with the ai until you can do 5 laps without touching a thing. If you can do that you should be alright online.

esox71 likes this.
  12. Akis Kev

Akis Kev Alien

I believe that constant hot-lapping may hurt (to some extend) one's mp skills. It's like the first race after the long F1 testing season at winter. We've seen some amazing crashes there :D

13. Hagen

Hagen Hardcore Simmer

Hi Akis,
    saw your video in the Steam-Guides. In the comments section of youtube you said "Feel free to post it wherever you want!"
    So i linked your video in my -Clean Racer List- thread. Thank you for contributing to improve the multiplayer experience in AC.

I would like to add to the list:
    4. Use the map application so you can see where the other cars are. Consider using this radarstyle-App: https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/helicorsa.20223/
    enable chat-app (+explanation how to do that), so you can apologize (sry)/see that the other guy feels sorry. (this helps calming down)
    dont expect to win the race if you qualified in the middle of the grid. (Overtaking 16 AI in 3laps GT-style isn´t going to work online)
    explain voting system, while in car simply press "y" or "n" on your keyboard, possibility to map the buttons to wheel (get rid of the green x-bow)

I would love to brainstorm for a updated Video, after we´ve seen what V1.1 brought.

Minolin and Akis Kev like this.
  14. Akis Kev

Akis Kev Alien

Nice input, thanks. I'm planning on making a video after the version 1.1 which will have the new features.

Minolin and Hagen like this.
  15. Icarus

Icarus Racer

I would change, if you're getting lapped get out of the way, allow the front runners to keep their line, only hold your line if you're fighting for position. Face it, if you're being lapped and it's not a league race and you're in a battle with another slow car, you're just a spectator racing for practice.

How many times have we been fighting for a podium finish with worn tyres and some guy two laps down on fresh tyres and can hold the corners slightly better but can't take them properly ruins our race.

Unless it's a 50 lap race and you have 30 or more laps to catch up, get out of the way.o_O

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  16. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Wow very nice. Really should follow @Hagen Oo
    What a shame this went down in the last forum, you should post this (maybe the 1.1 version) in the Chit Chat.

I'd like to contribute ideas or driving if you do another one, this is really cool stuff. We wouldn't have to write down any rules, if we knew this video.

17. Bailey

Bailey Alien

I don't agree.
    ~Bailey

Akis Kev likes this.
  18. Akis Kev

Akis Kev Alien

Changing line to help overtaking 9 in 10 times leads to destruction and death. :D
    The car being lapped should just ease off the gas and keep its trajectory. No panic braking, no zig-zag moves.

Alessandro Greghi likes this.