1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Best collision avoiding method in your opinion

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Poguinhas, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

I'm watching a live stream of the rookie league on RaceDepartment, and the guy is using a spotter app, and it got me thinking: What is your favourite method to aid space awareness and avoid collisions?
    I already tried spotter apps, but I found them hard to get used to, the same applied to helicorsa. My method basically consists of the realtime app to give me a notion of how close the car behind is, the overlay mirror and the proximity arrows, and it works well.
    But from you guys' experience, is the spotter apps a good option after you give it some time? Or what is your favourite app?
    (I think VR is probably the best method, but I'm talking about methods that won't cost half the price of a new computer).

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Assetto corsa competizione ps5 Mugello best track Mar 14, 2024
    Chit Chat Room Best version of Sebring Jan 6, 2024
    ACC General Discussions What is the best advice to fix understeer and oversteer Mar 11, 2023
    General modding discussion Whats the best way to use mods for AC ? Feb 11, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Seeking opinions for buying the best Jan 22, 2023
    Chit Chat Room Best way to setup reverse grid-second races offline? Jul 5, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions Best settings for Nitro 5 with I7 11800H, RTX 3060 and 16 GB of Ram Jun 10, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Best Lap Problem Apr 18, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality Dlss 2.3.9 is the best experience so far [Not recommended] Apr 15, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions ACC G923 PS5 Best settings Force Feedback??? Feb 25, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality Simple BestSetting VR for G2 3080ti 90fps Dec 17, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting Ferrari 488 GT3 Evo Incorrect Lap shown as Best Lap on Q Dash Nov 29, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality About pull the pin - latest thoughts on best VR headset for ACC? Nov 5, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality What is the best cpu/gpu combo to run ACC at max settings Sep 2, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Best Wheels to Play Assetto Corsa Competizione Aug 18, 2021

3. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

helicorsa/virtual mirror/trackmap/realtime together is what i used on a single monitor.

OliW likes this.
  4. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

Did you get used to helicorsa right away? To me it feels unnatural. Either I pay attention to Helicorsa, or I pay attention to keeping my line when somebody is alongside me.

5. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

I dont remember but dont think it was any issues to get used to it. Have you put it in the middle of the screen?

6. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

A good portion of common sense is by far the superior method.

Helicorsa, spotters, crew chief etc. are good helpers, but they rely on the above. ;)

demetri and LeDude83 like this.
  7. chakko

chakko Alien

If you assume someone aside of you, leave room. If you're really in the gearbox of someone before a braking zone, brake early to not drive in his back. And hope for the best that the guy behind you does the same. Doing these two things, i don't really cause many collisions. Also on a single screen here. I frankly have no idea why so many accidents happen. But then, if you brake to the ragge edge, or further, or use your opponents as the braking block, you will cause collisions for sure. Especially people from specific countries always feel like going with the head through the wall. No offense, just something i noticed (and of course, they're not all like that, just many). I won't mention the countries though. ;)

8. LeeTBTS

LeeTBTS Gamer

Crew Chief has taken over from helicorsa for me, but i still value helicorsa as being one hell of a handy app.

9. Drive offline ;)

Biner, Vel, SMOKING__MONKEY3 and 6 others like this.
  10. mms

mms Alien

Helicorsa for me, VR helps, but considering the limited FOV I still need the app. You just need to find the perfect place for it, it should be close to the center, but should not distract too much.

11. bondyboy

bondyboy Alien

When I use it I have it in the center of horizontal over the steering wheel, can easily see with your peripheral vision if the car is to the left or right

12. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

Single screen with virtual mirror and HeliCorsa positioned in the middle of the virtual mirror.
    HeliCorsa isn't hard to get used to, but experience in online racing helps quite a lot on making a good decision and the right reflex.

But I hardly focus on Helicorsa, only on straights and if I look in the mirror.

Otherwise I use the info from peripheral vision and react if Helicorsa flashes. I guess this takes a bit of getting used to, can't say for sure as it's been long ago since I started using it.

13. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

There will always be some contacts. Especially if racing really hard with Miata :D

I think it is possible to do without any helping apps, only virtual mirror and single screen.

1. Always know whats around you, if you don't then you should leave a little space. I'm sure apps would help, but they will take away concentration.
    2. Don't use too small FOV. I think at least half of A pillar should be visible. Maybe some bit of side mirror.
    3. Drive only in AB servers, I had some very nice races on C grade servers, but it is rare.
    4. If someone behind you is very likely to divebomb, better let him through, he most likely will overshoot the corner.
    5. Rejoin carefully. And always expect someone to rejoin the track like if they were the only ones on it.
    6. Know whats the situation on the track as far ahead as possible, I guess would be difficult in the rain with the spray lol

14. MrDeap

MrDeap Hardcore Simmer

It's simple.
    -Only pass if you're side by side at the braking point or if the player at the front messed up.
    -If the driver brake too late you'll eventually pass in the inside
    -If the driver is inconsistent, leave some space & charge with drafting
    -If the person doesn't leave the inside, pin him there(without contact). He'll eventually screw up at the braking point.
    -If the driver make no mistake, simply keep up until he mess up.
    -Like in F1, only attempt to defend once in the straight, avoid moving back to the racing line.
    -Fight for position only if the disparity of time is low.

As of the rest... it's the other fault. Obviously you'll get some race where that same driver attempt to dive bomb many times in a row. Sometime it's not intentional as your car setup may be vastly inferior to the driver fighting for position. Let the other driver pass in that situation.

Hagen likes this.
  15. Hagen

Hagen Hardcore Simmer

I am biased towards helicorsa ;)
    I suggest Helicorsa to be placed near a mirror, that way you train yourself to check the mirrors for when you no longer need it.
    The intention of Helicorsa is to help newcomers to get a feeling for the movements of opponents, while they are in the blind spot.
    Once you have learned to check the mirror (and helicorsa) without moving your eyes (using your peripheral vision) the information where others are in relation to you, will start to get processed subconciously.
    Which, in my opinion, is the goal and will result in no longer needing helicorsa, proximity indicators or other spotter apps.

mantasisg 2 likes this.
  16. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Thats how you overtake 7+ cars in first lap when you start from the 24th position.

If overtake happens like this it is just a glitch for me, something which doesn't matter at all. Overtake for me is trying to brake later, get more midturn speed, and most importantly get more exit speed. Trying to squezze car into a gap, almost touching bumper to bumper and never making a contact, thats racing.

Waiting for someone to mess up and climb up in higher position in that way is just silly, doesn't count as racing at all. Unless it is hell of a fight for multiple laps and someone cracks under pressure, but it shouldn't happen.

17. GamerMuscle

GamerMuscle Hardcore Simmer

If you drive into people first no one can drive into you !

18. Kaaarp

Kaaarp Racer

Does anyone use the engine sound of the other car to establish its relative position (simply is it to the left\right, level/behind/slightly ahead)?

Having not raced IRL I don't know if this is even viable or if the soundscape of AC lacks the ability to communicate this information on a surround sound system.

I usually estimate bases on mirrors and then leave loads of room (yeah, I really am a push over as I want a, to finish and b, not ruin anyone else's race). So, my tactic is pretty much the non-racey approach of not cocking up and waiting for others to fall of the track (which has given me a decent number of podiums to be fair).

Are apps a bit cheaty or just helping to overcome sim limitations?

19. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

CrewChief is more "immersive" and gives quite accurate callouts. (Well ok, IRL there is no spotter outside of oval racing)
    Helicorsa is good, but adds HUD clutter which I dislike. I keep helicorsa on in multiplayer, with CrewChief for maximum awareness
    Virtual mirror on, headphones instead of speakers
    Right attitude ("I rather finish last, than ruin someones race")

20. MrDeap

MrDeap Hardcore Simmer

The main reason is due because It's not on lan,

Internet & lag compensation is a wonder. Even if you didn't do contact on your screen with the other driver, the other driver may get into contact like if you were dive bombing. The thread is about avoiding collision while aiming for a clean race.

Yeah, you can stick out the nose at the apex, but will ruin the pace to aim for 1st place. If you fight too much for position at 3rd place & below, the leader get away(stuck at 3rd or pass 2nd). If you are aware that 2nd place have the ability to get 1st place, it's better to leave him lead until you catch up to 1st & have a triple battle(possibility being 3rd, 2nd or 1st) even if you're no better thanks to drafting.

Consistently blocking will lead to contact
    Aim to fight position on all time, make you lose potential position

aotto1977 and mantasisg 2 like this.
  21. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

@MrDeap

Yes you are right, sometimes it is not wise to fight, for example when somebody does very late braking gets really quickly to mid apex, but then has very slow exit, it gets quite exciting. But I think it is always nice to attack someone if there is a gap left, race is fun when it is full of those little gambles.

As for ping, AC works very well, till ping gets really high, or ping spike hits. Definitely should take that into account, had to quit races a lot of times because of this reason, weak internet connection is big trouble.