1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Best nvidia drivers for win7?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Mathieu Labbé, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Mathieu Labbé

Mathieu Labbé Hardcore Simmer

Is physx actually needed for AC?

2. jarqus

jarqus Racer

Don't believe so, But yer a fresh install. Cause then that would eliminate AC as the issue.

Start AC, got a race/practice what ever, Alt tab out of game, start the task manager by right click the windows bar, select acs.exe (and it was priority not affinity but good to check affinity that all cores are selected) and set priority to above normal or high.

3. Mathieu Labbé

I did that (had no clue that existed!) and still some very bad stutter, this time with a field of 16 yellowbirds at imola. Blue bar of the stats app very high during qualy and on race starts, major stutters and PHY_LATE was growing like crazy... Went from 0 to 700 in 10 seconds after the start.

So, downloaded 358.50 drivers, uninstalled old ones and ran DDU as well. Then uninstalled AC and started downloading it from scratch. Lets see what happens, thanks to everyone for the version 358 suggestion. Hope this will finally cure this weird problem.

4. jarqus

jarqus Racer

Hopefully in the end its just a AC reinstall.

5. Mathieu Labbé

Well, did a freash AC install and it did not change a thing. Did a couple of races online this evening and had some bad stutters, again nothing steady but every now and then. I tried to remove my Assetto Corsa folder to let AC create a new one, but the results were very similar... Well, I'm running out of ideas. Will endure this until I upgrade PC I guess.

6. _Fulgore_

_Fulgore_ Racer

play around with fps limiter and vsync
    sometimes combine the two
    also set render frames to 1 in nvidia control panel

depends on update of ac that i had to put it on or off. check renderstats, see if every line is flat

cant remember but i thougt dark blue is cpu line, red line gpu line, light blue ffb

also microstutter can caused by audio drivers, disable in bios audio controller...

i updated from a 60 hz to 144 and windows 10 and latest driver of 28 october, i use only vsync, reason little screen tear, but no stutter...

7. jarqus

jarqus Racer

And also check to make sure you dont have steam overlay or streaming or the like. Ive read here somewhere that those items where causing AC issues for some

8. Mathieu Labbé

I'll try messing around with fps limiter. So far I only tried uncapped and 144 cap, with same results. I dont want to use vsync because then my hard earned 144hz monitors would be useless ;) Alos render frames is set to 1 in nvidia panel and MAXIMUM_FRAME_LATENCY is set to 1 in the graphics.ini file as well.

As for the render stats, the dark blue and red lines used to be flat almost all of the time before the stuttering appeared out of nowhere. Now they are always pikes, not huge pikes but its never flat, thats translated into stuttering when driving it seems.

I'll look into audio drivers, never heard of that correlation but its worth a try! I use the onboard audio though so if I disable it, no sound. Worth a try for testing though.
    This overlay thing can be disabled in the AC menu right? I have it unchecked. Or is there something to disable in steam as well?

9. rafikens1000

rafikens1000 Racer

I also got problems like u. Currently Im on windows 7. To get really smooth gameplay I use 100 hz, fps cap (in game to 100), vsync on (in nvidia panel), render frames is set to 1 in nvidia panel and MAXIMUM_FRAME_LATENCY is set to 1 in the graphics.ini file.

With vsync off, I got always a bad background stutters during cornering. What do u mean, that with vsync ur monitor is useless? I dont get it. Try fps cap to 144 or 140 or change hz. I am so tired of searching a solution of not smooth image with vsync off.

The input lag with vsync on is marginal with settings I wrote above. Also, check threads with video bugs on forum. People got same problems. I dont know why, but optimalization is rather bad without vsync. TBH, I am curious which settings Aris or Stefano uses.

For me, playing without vsync on is a horror. (btw I am a guy who plays quake and cs go with 140 hz CRT (around 300 fps) and spent couple of months on getting no input lag).

Also give us some feedback about this streaming, overlay thing. About audio drivers... There are some rumors that they can create some problems in games (for example realtek drivers), but tbh I personally dont have proofs about that. Im telling u that about after 2 years of digging and trying to solve my problems with quake engine. But of course u can try disable them in Bios, why not.

cheers

10. Mathieu Labbé

What I mean is that v-sync will cap FPS at 60 so it dont make any sense to have 144hz monitors then. Or is that wrong?

And yeah it seems a lot of people are having these kind of stuttering, whats bugging me though is I did not have that for at least 6 months, even on windows 7. It was butter smooth then, its quite frustrating to have stutters when you experienced that smooth feeling. I mean, I value the immersion factor very much and getting 1 second freeze in the middle of Paddock Hill bend is killing it completely.

11. rafikens1000

rafikens1000 Racer

Nope. Vsync basically lock ur fps to the number of frames ur monitor can display. It means, that If I am using 100HZ, it means that vsync will lock it to 100 fps (unless I got fps cap in game to the lower number). If u got 144 hz monitor, try vsync without fps cap ingame. It will lock ur fps on 144 fps (or 143,9998 :p). Of course if u can achieve this number of fps on ur settings/pc. Mine settings allow me to play even on 150 fps, but as I said, with vsync off I got this annoying stutters. I found out that with vsync on, the problem has gone. Also things mentioned earlier by me helps a bit(for example fps cap ingame to 100 fps - without that I see that game is struggling and trying get more fps but cant because of vsync (which is locking fps to my current hz settings which is 100)).

Also u can try this: enable vsync in ur nvidia drivers for acs.exe application and go to the practice mode in assetto. Start a ride and try Alt+Enter. It should turning off ur vsync. Alt+Enter again and it will turn on ur vsync again. U can try it to see the differences between these two settings. (alt+enter is about fullscreen mode,but there were some bug about vsync off despite proper settings in Nvidia COntrol Panel after minimizing AC, details here: https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/fps-drops-with-1-9-1.38183/)

edit. Oh, and try 372.90 driver, not the newest one

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  12. _Fulgore_

_Fulgore_ Racer

like the post said vsync is capping to the hz to fps... :) and im using also a 144hz (since saturday) oh yeah :):) and just set vsync on , ...

will keep you posted, reinstalled a clean install of windows 7, some reason my pc don't like windows 10 .....

in your signature i read that your pp is off, i thought that i read that one of the devs said to leave it on since the last 2 or 3 updates......

at the end, we will find your issue ;)

13. _Fulgore_

_Fulgore_ Racer

small update after trying many settings, windows 7 has an issue with keeping fps steady, played a few days on windows 10 and steady 144 fps, same settings on windows 7 and frames stays between 139 and 146 , still got no real stutter, but feels like windows 10 runs ac better.....

14. Mathieu Labbé

Well, I did some testing tonight and nothing positive came out. Here is what I tested:

9AI + me - Audi GT3, Magione, 13h, clear

FPS cap 144 - vsync off: stutters
    FPS cap 140 - vsync off: stutters
    FPS cap 120 - vsync off: stutters, but flat lines on back straight
    FPS cap 100 - vsync off: no real stuttering, flat lines pretty much always (and steady 100fps)
    FPS uncapped - vsync off: stutters

FPS cap 144 - vsync off - PP on: stutters
    FPS cap 144 - vsync on(in AC) - PP on: minimal stutters

9AI + me - Porsche 718 Cayman S, 10 AI Alfa 4C, Norschleife, 13h, clear
    FPS cap 100 - vsync on(in AC) - PP on: heavy stuttering, 99% CPU occupency in turn 1
    FPS cap 100 - vsync on(in nvidia panel) - PP on: heavy stuttering, 99% CPU occupency at start

Disabled steam overlay and local streaming and tested last config, same results.

I have yet to try disabling the onboard audio and setting another refresh rate for my monitors.

15. jarqus

jarqus Racer

Very interesting indeed. Sort of sucks though.

What I would do from here is.
    - Use CCleaner and do a clean (registry)
    - Disable Antivirus and what not.
    - In one of the .ini file in AC you can set timing to use a higher fidelity timing, so see whether its on or off, and change it to the opposite it is set at now
    - Check cpu and gpu temps underload (are you overclocking?)
    - Disable Apps
    - Run single screen
    - reset Bios and reconfigure.
    - Backup AC in Steam and reinstall into a different folder preferable on a different drive.

Does it stutter with just you on track, no AI?

16. _Fulgore_

_Fulgore_ Racer

well have no idea any more what it can be, seems you tested a bunch off things last night, like i did yesterday when i was back on windows 7, in your first post you said you did a rollback from 10 to 7 , so if im not mistaking your windows 7 is not a full clean install from start? with only windows 7 drivers and etc..... just asking cause in my daily job i noticed that my customers did this, had issues with progams and daily pc work.... mostly it ended to reinstall a fresh windows 10 or a fresh windows 7 depends on customers...

in my opinion windows 10 handles better vsync stuff, from saturday when i bought my new 144 hz screen, i played only with vsync on and this was on windows 10, it was all the time 144 fps with the steam fps overlay, i installed windows 7 for the reason i had issues with sound + sfpdif, but thats a minor issue, i noticed directly that 7 has vsync issues, is it maybe because its now a 2 k screen with displayport 1.2 , and windows 7 can't handle this, have no clue :=)

17. S.Cargo

S.Cargo Rookie

My 2 cents:
    1. In my view this tells you that your config (in combination with your chosen AC graphics settings (smoke, reflections, PP, etc...)) is struggling to deliver more than 100 fps
    2. With a roughly similar config (but only 60 Hz monitors) I had to turn Post-Processing OFF (too big a hit on fps)
    3. fps cap & vsync can be enforced by AC and/or by Nvidia driver. I guess it is not good to enforce it in both. Personally I ended using both (fps cap & vsync) in Nvidia driver (not in AC) (but it's a long time since I performed some testing as I am now happy with what I have)
    4. you should perform tests always with the same track/cars combo (no need to have one more variable o_O) (this comment is not meant to be sarcastic or whatever, I did the same in the past... and it did not help at all :eek: )
    Good luck!

18. Generally my problems with stuttering ended with W10. Every game works better on 10. Ofcourse made clean W10 install.

_Fulgore_ likes this.
  19. Mathieu Labbé

I did these two test to test two scenarios. The first one being low numbers of cars (9AI) and a relatively low demanding track. The second was to push the system a bit more, very demanding track (Nords) and lots of cars (19 AI). Why am I doing this, because before I had these problems, I could run a config like this with no stuttering or 99% cpu occupancy message. FPS were low (50-60 min) and not stable, but it was very much playable.

You're right, my system is struggling to push steady 100fps (especially with PP on which I normally dont use, was just trying to figure if it would help in any way) with these offline scenarios (I rarely play with AI, mostly online or hotlapping when online is boring ;)), but before my recent win7 fresh install, 80fps was very much fluid. Whereas now, 80fps feels like 15fps and its stuttering as hell and I get these CPU warning.

Good to know about capping FPS inside nvidia panel, didnt know you could do that, thanks for the tip!

20. rafikens1000

rafikens1000 Racer

OK, here we go. I know that u tired etc, but u have to check other settings:

IN PRATICE MODE:
    1) FPS cap (in AC) to 144 - vsync on (only in nvidia drivers, off in AC)
    2) FPS cap (in AC) to 100 - vsync on (only in nvidia drivers, off in AC)
    3) FPS cap (in AC) to 100 - vsync on (only in nvidia drivers, off in AC) WITH changing hz to 100

Right now I see that u use 5760 x 1080 resolution. It means that ur pc CANT achieve over 100 fps with pp on (no mentioning full grid on nords). I didnt see that yesterday, just looked at ur spec and was sure that u play on 1920x1080. The S.Cargo is right. Have u checked ur fps during testing? I mean, I am 85% sure, that u got less than 100 fps with pp on. If yes, u can buy me a beer.

I belive that here:
    ur pc is just struggling with fps.

BTW, 5760 x 1080 or other 4k miracles is a reason why almost everybody here plays on 60HZ. BUY A NEW RIG, man (who uses gtx 970 these days... ) ":D"