1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Blue flag etiquette

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by John Caetano, May 5, 2019.

1. John Caetano

John Caetano Racer

So I was racing last night and had a bit of a situation that I haven’t been in before. I was racing with a guy behind me when we pulled up to a guy that was a lap ahead but also slower than I was in corners. (Had an accident so had to pit).

Anyways I wanted to respect his position however the guy behind me was catching up and I didn’t want to lose my position. I eventually battled the driver that was ahead of me with the blue flag and as we went around a corner I took the inside line and he bumped me, on accident I’m sure.

My question is because I was faster, was it appropriate to pass him even though I had the blue flag? Does the blue flag really only apply when the driver is approaching from behind?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Gameplay AI Blue Flag Behaviour after v1.10 Apr 11, 2024
    ACC Gameplay Blue flags not working during final lap? Mar 28, 2022
    ACC Multiplayer Blue flag at starting line Jan 12, 2022
    ACC Gameplay No Blue Flags After Clock Reaches 00:00 Dec 3, 2021
    ACC Gameplay Brands Hatch AI Blue Flag Collision (1.6.3) Nov 27, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer No blue flag after leader has finished the GT3&GT4 race Nov 16, 2020
    ACC Gameplay Set AI to ignore blue flags please Aug 29, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer BLUE FLAG PENALTY NOW! May 3, 2020
    Bug reports BLUE FLAG PENALTY NOW! May 3, 2020
    ACC Gameplay Ignoring Blue Flag - starting from pits Mar 26, 2020
    ACC Gameplay So this is how AI handles blue flags huh... Mar 18, 2020
    ACC Gameplay [1.1.2] car racing for position blue flag Nov 17, 2019
    ACC Gameplay AI blue flags Oct 6, 2019
    ACC Gameplay AI disqualified, blue flag and SA rating Sep 18, 2019
    ACC Troubleshooting Problem blue flag AI with update 1.0.8 Sep 17, 2019

3. sirgaric

sirgaric Hardcore Simmer

You are always allowed to unlap yourself, but only if you can overtake safely and not hinder the other car in any way. Normally if a lapped car comes to me and he is way faster, I would let him pass, because there is no point on racing him... unless of course its a long race and he is a lap behind due to different pitstop strategy.

Luatz1 and John Caetano like this.
  4. Would be good penalty for drivers who do not respect the blue flag. A throug drive would be perfect. Also affect the safaty rank.

5. John Caetano

John Caetano Racer

But this doesn’t really answer my question....which is why I am asking...

6. John Caetano

John Caetano Racer

So I’m glad but this is my other concern. I had the inside line and was side by side on the last corner of Monza and he turned into me trying to go from outside in where I guess he didn’t realize I was on the inside... luckily he bounced off and continued to go straight but I stayed ahead after that point ... So in a normal situation I believe I had every right to take the inside but because of the blue flag I am questioning myself...

7. D.Jankovic

D.Jankovic Alien

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/understand-flags-fia-regulation.56314/

thread dedicated to flag rules straight off the FIA regulations

d) Light blue flag
    This should normally be waved, as an indication to a driver that he is about to be overtaken. It has different meanings during practice and the race.
    At all times:
    - A stationary flag should be displayed to a driver leaving the pits if traffic is approaching on the track.
    During practice:
    - A faster car is close behind you and is about to overtake you.
    During the race:
    - The flag should normally be shown to a car about to be lapped, if the driver does not seem to be making full use of his rear-view mirrors. When shown, the driver concerned must allow the following car to pass at the earliest opportunity.

Edit: To answer your question.. you can un lap yourself but if you have pace... that`s what i would do. If i am faster un lap and leave that car behind. But if i don`t have pace to follow i would just leave it be and follow him closely and get some slipstream :)

John Caetano likes this.
  8. Nesja

Nesja Racer

It's not like F1 where lapped cars need to let cars that are a lap up pass.
    In Blancpain you don't need to let lead cars pass if they're going to lap you. But you can't take defensive lines against them either.
    So you can just stick to your racing line and if they can't pass you that way you're not doing anything wrong.

9. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

You are allowed, but it depends. Let's say you join mid race with fresher tyres and the guy is fighting for position with someone ahead, in that case I'd stay behind because I wouldn't really be fighting for anything. Usually on shorter races on public servers I just leave it alone, unless the guy in front is an absolute snail.
    So like I said, you are allowed to pass, but analyze the situation first to see if it's worth it.

BoinkTheBeaver likes this.
  10. D.Jankovic

D.Jankovic Alien

11. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

I wonder how many times stuff like this would happen on public servers :p:D

12. John Caetano

John Caetano Racer

Great, thanks all for the info.

13. Atak_Kat

Atak_Kat Simracer

I think the key point is that he had damage, and was expected to pit.
    So regardless blue flags, I'd think that it just makes sense that he would not want to impede your race (within reason). I think that is what I would do, if I was damaged and knew I needed to pit. Let the guys around me go through cleanly.

14. trasgu

trasgu Simracer

You have every right to unlap, but it should to be done in the safest possible way. But independently of that, if a car has a crash and is heavily damaged it seems stupid for him to dispute a track position with a faster lapped car, because he risks another crash and while he is trying to keep the track position he is loosing time with his real rivals in the race because his lines and braking points are optimized to keep track position instead of maximizing laptimes.