1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory.
  2. FOR ASSETTO CORSA COMPETIZIONE: If you report issues with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder!
  3. If your game executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, then run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether.

Botton Box for Ignition and Starter

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by Team DTO, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Team DTO

Team DTO Gamer

I'm losing time in the pits due to the engine not starting with the starter mapped to a button on my G25 wheel. I plan on getting a button box and mapping the Ignition and Starter to 2-way safety toggles. Anybody using a similar set up with good results?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Console Lounge BAC1 Xbox One Open Championship Mar 24, 2020
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Xbox controler + fly sim pedals Mar 21, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting D-Box not working with ACC Mar 19, 2020
    XBox One Discussions BAC1 Xbox One Open Championship Mar 18, 2020
    Online Leagues / Championships room BAC1 Xbox One Open Championship Mar 18, 2020
    Bug reports Xbox One Assetto Corsa: No servers found... Mar 16, 2020
    Console Lounge Weekly Hotlap Challenge 169 - Hot Boxin' da Club Mar 7, 2020
    Chit Chat Room Calabogie track on xbox?? Mar 1, 2020
    ACC Controls & Peripherals ACC Seeing 2 Button Boxes as Once Feb 28, 2020
    ACC Physics Bentley Continental GT3 2018 - weird Gearbox Issue Feb 19, 2020
    ACC Controls & Peripherals multiple add on for upgrade your wheel, gearbox and pedal Feb 15, 2020
    Console Lounge WHL #161 The Orange Box Jan 11, 2020
    XBox One Discussions XBOX ONE Remove Arms & Steering Wheel from cockpit view . Dec 25, 2019
    XBox One Discussions Mount Panorama for XboxOne badly needed Dec 14, 2019
    ACC User Interface [1.1.2] Chat Box - Pitstop (***No Issue***) Dec 4, 2019

3. Seelenkrank

Seelenkrank Racer

im using a normal button box (ignition.com)
    these safety stuff i had on my old box but serious: take normal buttons. it is a waste of time to open the plastic part and activate the switch.
    and most games need a button that not send all the time a signal so a normal button will do the job (even keyboard will work or a external USB numpad as a very cheap button box.

Serge M and Team DTO like this.
  4. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Racer

I use dsd button boxes, good quality and work fine, I just leave the plastic cover up until I finish for the night.

Team DTO likes this.
  5. Serge M

Serge M Alien

6. Team DTO

Team DTO Gamer

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  7. Seelenkrank

Seelenkrank Racer

Most games want a temporal press and not a permanent on signal. So always on is in most cases useless. And the knop will work for nearly all functions that has a +/- ( tc or abs etc).

Team DTO likes this.
  8. Vunnible

Vunnible Gamer

DSD (Derek Speare Designs) uses almost all ‘momentary’ toggle switches, meaning one up press will register once, like a button, and then mechanically spring back down to the middle/neutral toggle position - without affecting the initial press. Same actuation with down as up (separately programmable though I think, so two buttons in one)

This was a big reason I went with DSD. Most button boxes (surprisingly) use standard on/off switches that stay in either position, and like the above poster noted, are a headache in most titles - especially in ACC - as the game is inevitably going to get off-sync with the switch, so half the time ‘off’ will correspond in-game to ‘on,’ and vice-versa.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Team DTO likes this.
  9. Vunnible

Vunnible Gamer

Try to find a review on any box you’re considering, because I didn’t find many with descriptions that covered what type of toggle switch was included (usually standard on/off though).

Team DTO likes this.
  10. Tristan Cliffe

Tristan Cliffe Simracer

Yes. I'm using one of these - cheap but brilliant.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/192430846513

I have ignition mapped to left toggle and starter to right toggle. Works really well. The covers don't really do anything as the toggles are two position (off- momentary on).

I then map ctrl-space to the tiny button under ignition with Joy2Key for centering VR. The remaining buttons used to be for lights, wipers and so on, but they're now on the wheel and I use them for moving the seating position.

Team DTO likes this.
  11. GRFOCO

GRFOCO Alien

12. Team DTO

Team DTO Gamer

13. GRFOCO

GRFOCO Alien

Team DTO likes this.
  14. Vunnible

Vunnible Gamer

That is the CSW version. For whatever reason he only sells the podium mounted versions in pairs, left and right. I went with both as you can really never have enough buttons, but not all rigs may accommodate both. I figure I’ll just map more buttons than initially planned (seat movement, etc) as a luxury, not having to use the keyboard at all.

You might email the guy and see if he’ll make an exception, but I’m sure he included ‘sets only’ in the description for a reason. You can always get the box standalone and use a ram mount to attach it to your rig. I prefer the aesthetics (and ease) of the dashboard though, as apparently you do too.

Team DTO likes this.
  15. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

No, simply not possible in ACC.

Same applies for lights, wipers, etc.

Team DTO likes this.
  16. Vunnible

Vunnible Gamer

Yes and no. You can’t program on and off functions separately in ACC currently, but you should be able to quasi work around it.

The only way is to program both up and down toggles to do the same thing using a 3rd party software like joy2key. You’d map up-toggle and down-toggle to the same keyboard shortcut in the 3rd party software, and then map that keyboard shortcut to ignition on/off in ACC.

This would give you to up-toggle start and down-toggle stop, albeit a bit redundantly since up-toggle would also stop, and down-toggle would also start, depending on which state you’re already in...

That’s as close as you’ll get, and I think this is still best suited to a spring loaded toggle that sits in a neutral position when not being used.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Team DTO likes this.