1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Generic Brake squeal? Seriously?

Discussion in 'Console Lounge' started by Snowman38, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snowman38

Snowman38 Hardcore Simmer

I'm so sick of driving games putting things like brake squeal and dirty windows in games..

Can we not just assume the car has brand new, high quality racing brakes? And that before driving around a track at sunrise or sunset, that we were smart enough to wipe the windows as to avoid blinding glare?

Please remove these things. They won't stop me from playing but they are extremely frustrating.

vegaguy 5555, uHu and earlyapex like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Sounds modding Brake squeal possible ? (Nvm, got it) Sep 19, 2017
    Audio Bugs & Issues squealing brakes Sep 7, 2017
    Audio Bugs & Issues Brakes squeal sound Oct 27, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Do not you miss squealing brake pads noise? Jul 16, 2016
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Brake always on slightly. Jan 29, 2024
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Is a desired brake trace possible with Fanatec V3 pedals? Dec 10, 2023
    Chit Chat Room Getting brake data to look right in Track Attack Dec 4, 2023
    ACC Physics Brake Bias Backwards? Nov 28, 2023
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Does anybody know where Fanatec stores its brake settings? Sep 15, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals DDoes anybody know where Fanatec stores its brake settings? Sep 15, 2023
    ACC Physics Brake Cooling Performance Change on Brake Change in Pits Jul 21, 2023
    ACC Physics brakes, motec no longer works to adjust the car? Jul 17, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Brake Gamma change not working Jul 13, 2023
    ACC User Interface False Brake Bias value with SimHub Dashboard with new v1.9 cars May 13, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Cannot remap throttle / brakes on gamepad Nov 27, 2022

3. Luke7

Luke7 Simracer

Sorry but I find windscreen dirt and brake squeal very immersive.

Besides, in AC brake squeal is only present on the older racecars. And if you select late morning or early afternoon, screen dirt will be virtually invisible.

4. Snowman38

You may like it, but it doesn't make sense.. The car is in tip top shape.. Except for the brakes? The car might be old, but it's in mint condition.. Personally, if I owned any of these cars and the brakes made that kind of noise, I'd consider it unfinished.

If some people like it, cool I guess.. I find it distracting and unrealistic, unless of course I never bothered to service the brakes.

Maybe an option to remove this noise?

uHu and ingrobny like this.
  5. Chazz Ranger

Chazz Ranger Alien

I'm sure KS will get right on that, removing all those realistic details that they put many hours into creating, just to make the one guy who is sick of "driving games" aiming for more authenticity happy. Maybe you should stick to Need For Speed?

AmorFati, Grijo, Redxbcoupe and 10 others like this.
  6. Luke7

Luke7 Simracer

But it's not unrealistic; race brakes really do squeal, and widescreens so do accumulate dirt. And that's why I like it, because it's realistic.

Your finding it distracting is not a good reason to ask for removal. Cockpits of racecars are extremely distracting environments. There are squeaking brakes, gearbox whine, misfires, explosions on overruns, stones hitting the underside, bottoms/diffusers scraping on the Tarmac, wind noise/buffeting, DRS/upshift beeps Etc.

My advice: learn to love it.

7. Snowman38

My Honda doesn't even have brake squeal, and it's a 92'
    Are you suggesting that if you owned your dream car, let's assume it's the Lamborghini Miura,. You'd not service the brakes and would be content with brakes that squeal as much as in the video I posted?
    I'm not sure what need for speed has to do with anything. I like realistic racing sims.. I spend a lot of time at the track. Most guys running high performance vehicles, slowing down hard into corners, lap after lap, would have their brakes looked after if they made noises like that.

ingrobny likes this.
  8. Luke7

Luke7 Simracer

Brake squeal is normal, even on new cars, as the the discs and pads glaze due to heat.
    Squealing is also common on brakes that near the end of their life.

9. Snowman38

My advice: fix your brakes lol

You're lumping in squealing brakes with transmission whine?! One of those things can be fixed.

Anyway, I'm not here to argue my point to people who aren't interested..

I'm just suggesting that I'm probably not the only guy who would sort my brakes out. And I for one would like the option to not hear brakes in need of servicing.

uHu likes this.
  10. Luke7

Luke7 Simracer

See my response above.

11. Snowman38

Sometimes I forget this is the Internet.

12. Snowman38

Has the whole world gone crazy? Or am I the only one who only hears brakes squealing on unmaintained cars?! And not high performance vehicles...

uHu likes this.
  13. Snowman38

See MY response that you replied to... "not even my 92 Honda has brake squeal"..

14. Luke7

Luke7 Simracer

I've heard brake squeal on brand new cars. On assetto corsa so far I've only had brakes squeal on the 73 Porsche carrera.

So what other cars have squeaking brakes in AC?

15. Snowman38

I think I noticed it in the Ford gt, and that Lamborghini in the video posted. To be honest I've only driven about 8 of the cars so far.

16. Luke7

Luke7 Simracer

So it's on the old cars, as one might expect.

Sorry but I find it difficult to be sympathetic with your views, as in my experience squeaking brakes have been implemented very realistically in AC. They're not over the top, you only get them on the older cars at higher temps, and when you really abuse them.

17. Snowman38

I've heard brake squeal on new cars as well, or a car that's been sitting a while.. But once you brake a few times it goes away. If it doesn't, there's another issue.

I kept expecting that to be the case, the squeal to subside after a few laps and some hard braking.. seeing as this game is very realistic, but when it didn't, I decided to post a video and see if it bothers anybody else.

So far I'm getting a strong "nobody cares" vibe. Lol

18. Luke7

Luke7 Simracer

Brake squeal can actually only begin to happen once the brakes get so hot that the pads crystallise. That's what causes the squealing in many cases.

So it's not that nobody cares. It's more a question of: is it realistic or not?

And the answer is that yes, it is realistic.

19. Snowman38

Start a lap with that Lamborghini.. See if they start to squeal when it gets hot or if the squeal immediately.

20. Luke7

Luke7 Simracer

They squeal immediately because the Lamborghini has brakes with a high metal content. This was common back in the 70s.

Hugo Catarino, Grijo and Horus like this.
  21. danowat

danowat Hardcore Simmer

Leave it as is please, adds atmosphere , sim games can sometimes feel sterile, and all the little extra sounds make a big difference room the immersion .

maybe they can add a separate volume adjuster?

miika2, Snowman38 and Luke7 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.