1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Build 5 Thoughts

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Son, Jan 6, 2019.

1. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

You're attributing strict definitions which don't actually exist, alpha and beta terminology are very arbitrary. While wikipedia might describe alpha software as 'not feature complete', it also describes beta as "typically the first time that the software is available outside of the organization that developed it".

Alpha software is generally extremely crashy, but you wouldn't know unless you had access to it in that state. If I had to stick a label on ACC EA it would be beta, which is what Kunos seem to reckon it is.

mESCx likes this.
  2. DSK123

DSK123 Rookie

A game is considered to be in Alpha when not all features are in game. Once all features are in the game goes into Beta and then Devs deal with bugs and further polish the game for Release.

3. JnJ | Rayleigh

JnJ | Rayleigh Simracer

I don't really know guys but I think the game is in fact pretty feature-complete. Those features are just not released to the public yet because they're not polished (or for other reasons). So I'd stick to the term "beta" when talking about development state of ACC ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    As I said earlier: Just by the fact that it releases in March it kinda has to be a beta because I doubt Kunos is gonna release a beta or skip the beta state. And I guess you know that the 1-2 weeks of "beta" that a lot of big publishers offer isn't really a beta.^^

4. Alpha or beta? :confused: I would consider this as unimportant o_O

5. D.Jankovic

D.Jankovic Alien

Build 5 thoughts = everything that is not build 5 discussion :D

andrea.chiovato likes this.
  6. JnJ | Rayleigh

JnJ | Rayleigh Simracer

You're probably right, sorry :oops:

After_Midnight likes this.
  7. No problem mate :)

8. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

You're right, Kunos can call it whatever they want. Fact is that it's not a finished game and what they're doing is not just polishing.

I don't think you're entirely correct, given how previously the AC Early Access period went and how development tends to work. Plus, what we have in the game now is not what I would call polished so that argument that they have everything finished and just release polished parts of the game on the given schedule doesn't hold.

It also took AC quite a few patches to be more polished and "feature-complete for a racing simulation" after release. Kunos are to be commended for supporting their games like that but one hopes they can do better with a high-profile product like ACC and support of their publisher - but at this point in time the game is not in a release state and there's only so much time left until the end of Q1 2019, so we have to wait and see. Kunos have been doing tremendous work so far but I do fear the game could release in a pretty buggy state if they want to stick to the tight schedule. I don't want to see that happening.

9. JnJ | Rayleigh

JnJ | Rayleigh Simracer

Me neither buddy but if there are no BIG improvements with release 5, I don't think we can expect the release to be taking place in Q1 2019. :/ But I'm excited to find out about what Kunos has worked on the last weeks for build 5 :)

10. Sorry, again a little bit off topic.
    What I hope is that the cars physics will be fully developed by the 1.0 release.
    I remember that in AC I had to completely change the GT car setups due to the releases of the tyre model and that RSR had to reset the times board more than once.
    It would be annoying if the Rating system had to be reset from time to time after the 1.0 release and also having to develop a setup from scratch.
    Anyway I think this will not happen with ACC.
    Regarding the release 5:
    I'd like there be multiplayer race working properly
    And rating system improvements (I like this system very much, it already helped me a lot to improve)
    I am also very happy to find Zolder, I have not been driving there since GT legends.

Son likes this.
  11. martcerv

martcerv Alien

It really doesn't matter as technically its neither as its just Early access, there is obviously an internal Beta team working on testing things even before we get it either now or at final release. What we get is a fairly clear release schedule of the things they want to test in a larger public release as a small internal test team wont see everything and having a larger group to give an opinion on some features and issues is helpful. Plus we get to actually play some of the game prior to release rather then just view some PR screenshots and videos til release which is the other way they could have gone.

As build 5 isn't out there isn't much to really discuss, we know the track and car is coming plus advanced MP and likely other updates beyond that. Outside of the content its pure speculation about what else we are getting so really the thread came a bit early. Maybe a better thread title for thoughts once we have tried build 5 not before we know much about it. ;)

12. Son

Son Hardcore Simmer

Yeah I realise that now :p I will be sure to wait until after build 6 if I do this again.

13. fabT

fabT Alien

This.

Currently MP has still a whole lot of issues.
    I don't mean advanced features issues, i mean basic issues:
    • Stability issues
    • Connectivity / sync issues, such as lag / warping
    • Gameplay issues: session laptimes not properly reported, messy rolling starts with cars overlapping, laptimes (sometimes) not properly recorded, unreliable flags ... etc.
    Imho most of the issues should have been solved within 0.3/ 0.4. releases, but that wasn't the case.
    Hopefully it will drastically improve on wednesday, because so far i think basic MP isn't really working.

By design ( roadmap ) ACC is still low on contents ( tracks, driveable cars ) and i can live with it.
    Yet unless MP starts working properly i fear the game may face a shrinking players base.
    Most of the servers are usually pretty empty already.

Hope for the best.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  14. Rioku

Rioku Racer

Thats why i won´t install ACC till Release 6

Meanwhile, AC

15. sirgaric

sirgaric Hardcore Simmer

The point of Early Access is to install the game, try it, and provide useful feedback to the developers so they can make a better product. If you didn't install the game, you are not providing any feedback, either actively with logs and reports in the support forums, or passively, just by letting them collect statistical data. I know no one is forcing you to install it and test it, but what you are doing basically defeats the principles of Early Access.

But then, if you are going to tell me that you did it to support the developers, I will tell you that a better way of supporting them would have been buying the game later, paying more for it. Or even better, waiting until full release and paying full price for it.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  16. Fernandito

Fernandito Racer

You might not be aware the game automatically sends all kind of data to them everytime we fire and play it. Even after every crash to desktop we all have an automatic report generated and sent to them instantly; not to mention most stuff we see and suffer during MP gameplay, and not just MP.

You may see it as some friendly kunos trojan™ serving a greater purpose during early access processes.

17. sirgaric

sirgaric Hardcore Simmer

I fail to understand in what way what you say contradicts what I said.

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A5010 mediante Tapatalk

LeDude83, ShredatorFIN and Son like this.
  18. Fernandito

Fernandito Racer

You fail to understand because there's either no actual contradiction nor the seek of it on purpose, other than what you might have wanted to believe or extract from it, in which case both scenarios would have been product of your imagination.

Tú ya me entiendes

19. Son

Son Hardcore Simmer

What are you on about?

Jebus and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  20. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

If the guy installed the game, it won't send much data lol... sirgaric had rather good point about Early Access

LeDude83 likes this.