1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

PHYSICS Bumpstop telemetry in the setup screen

Discussion in 'ACC Blog' started by Aristotelis, Oct 11, 2018.

1. SimGuy_1

SimGuy_1 Alien

That would make it setting up way to hard.
    While we do have suspension travel i don't think we have bumpstop compression/travel.
    If the bumpstop rate is force produced at 10mm of bumpstop compression then there is no way of knowing at what corners the bumpstop is actually compressing 10mm.
    Even if you set a value for bumpstop rate it wouldn't matter as long as it not compressed to 10mm which is impossible to know hence currently impossible to setup.
    My guess is that it is initial force when you touch bumpstop which for all cars might be at 10mm of suspension travel.
    This way it makes sense and easy to setup.
    @Aristotelis please help lol

2. ????nani?

3. No no, the bumpstop compresses. And when it is compressed by 10mm, it is giving back, so to speak, xN. You can decide the stiffness, in other words.
    You can also decide when to make it work (you decide its positioning). That is not in mm, probably that's why it is called range.

4. SimGuy_1

SimGuy_1 Alien

I know that bumpstop compresses.
    I'm talking about bumpstop rate.
    In aris video he says that bumpstop rate is force at 10 mm of compression.
    but he doesn't specify about the force at compression of either the suspension or bumpstop itself.
    If he is talking about bumpstop rate is force at 10 mm compression of bumpstop then we have a problem.
    Because in motec as far as i know there is no bumpstop compression/travel channel.
    only channel is whether the suspension is touching bumpstop or not and it is yes or no only value i.e either 1 or 0.

Now tell me how am i supposed to figure out when bumpstop is compressed by 10 mm so that i can make bumpstop rate changes accordingly?

This is why my earlier theory makes more sense, bumpstop rate has to be initial force when suspension touches bumpstop for first time.
    So IMO bumpstop rate is initial force of bumpstop and then it follows the variable curve.

5. Wait a moment. It depends on the load on the tyre if you will ever arrive at compressing the bumpstop by x or y.
    That 10mm is nothing special, it is just a reference to tell you that the bumstop is stronger.
    Probably it is is fixed point, probably it an intersection with one of the axis, or probably Aris likes number 10 :D.
    There is nothing special that happens at 10 millimiters, except for the bumpstop to provide the force you set.

6. SimGuy_1

SimGuy_1 Alien

see thats the problem. there is no way of knowing when you are touching that 10mm point especially if you are NOT using 0 bumpstop range which i never use and in many cars by default it not at 0.
    So there is always some suspension travel in default setup before it hits bumpstop hence impossible to judge the effects of bumpstop rate as there NO way of knowing how much compression is there on bumpstop.
    In motec all you can see is suspension travel and a boolean value whether suspension is touching bumpstop or not i.e 1 or 0 ; true or false.
    each tyre has different load on different corner making the setup for bumpstop rate of front impossible given current info.

7. Shooter80

Shooter80 Racer

@SimGuy_1 From various comments Aris made in streams I agree with @Salvatore Amato and also believe the bumpstop rate is the spring rate of the bumpstop once it has been compressed by 10mm. And indeed, if that is the case then your concerns with not knowing exactly how far the bumpstop has compressed is valid.

Although, within the context of the telemetry, I don't think its an issue itself that there is no channel for bumpstop compression, indeed that would be handy, but its reasonable to assume that the real teams wouldn't have a specific channel for that either, and (if they wanted to) would just need to calculate it from the overall suspension travel, and the known bumpstop range, to be able to tell how far the suspension has compressed past the point where it would have reached the bumpstop. But even if you could get all that data, its made even more complicated because the bumpstops stiffness does not increase linearly, Aris mentioned in a stream that they have a curve, so even knowing how far the bumpstop has been compressed wouldn't let you know the actual stiffness at a given point in time, without knowing the exact curves, which we do not have.

For me I just figure out the range I want from the bumpstop contact telemetry, and then adjust the rate in 500's, and figure it what I want by feel. Since I usually always drive the same car its got to the point where I can guess what I want and usually not hate it.

Salvatore Amato likes this.
  8. If you want to change, let's say, how it works, you have to play with range and
    rear wing, and then fine tune with rate, if you feel you need it.
    That's sure for high aero, rake setups.
    With low aero, low wing rate is more important.

When you see bumpstop 1 in motec chart, the spring still goes up compressed more and more. Their effects are overlapping.
    The plot is the same for all possible values in bumpstop rate settings, that's why we have the value at 10mm.

Anyway you have suspension travel, you have time, you know spring stiffness, there would enough data to calculate the bumpstop rate point per point.
    If you are able to make two identical laps, you can try to get the plot from motec by comparison.
    Otherwise you have to know also how every other component of the car is contributing...forget about it :D.
    And anyway it is useless, because you cannot change it, the shape.
    Add that every car has its own characteristic curve for rate. o_O

Artur mendes likes this.
  9. did you feel any sort of connection while you were writing? :eek:

Shooter80 likes this.
  10. SimGuy_1

SimGuy_1 Alien

Yea sticking to 1 or 2 car and driving them continuously i can tell the difference between bumpstop rates.
    I just hope they not placebo tho lol.

11. SimGuy_1

SimGuy_1 Alien

I wouldn't say it is useless,it may be used for tiny changes but hey it is there and i want to know how it works. :)
    I just love to know what each setup does in detail plus how they affect each other.
    Tweaking the car is sometimes so much fun its equally good as driving.

Shooter80 and Salvatore Amato like this.