1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Buttkicker Gamer 2 and similar devices

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by ShredatorFIN, Jul 30, 2016.

1. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Saw a Inside SimRacing video, which hyped the Buttkicker Gamer 2 and said it vastly improves any sim rig, with affordable price. Few questions:

- It seems to be out of stock in Europe everywhere. Is there affordable alternatives?
    - How does it work? It takes the signal from audio, or actual physics engine?
    - Is it actually worth the money & improves sim racing somehow?

When I first heard about it, the idea seemed silly. AFAIK it takes the signal from audio? So, it shakes my chair when there's bass signal? Does this somehow improve the driving experience? :D

To me it sounds like cheap gimmick, that would tell nothing about how the car handles. But after seeing the Inside SimRacing video, became curious. I can't afford expensive systems with multiple shakers in 4 corners of the rig or anything like that. And I don't even have a "rig", just a regular chair, I use the same PC for work and other games.

Are these shakers total waste of money? Was thinking if it would take the signal from physics, shake the chair when the car for example makes contact or bottoms, it would be good. But taking the signal from audio seems odd.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    PlayStation 4 Discussions PS4 & BUTTKICKER GAMER 2 Nov 1, 2016
    ACC Physics Using Simvibe with a Buttkicker. High pulses when car is in garage. May 16, 2020
    Suggestions Better LFE for Buttkickers Jan 22, 2018
    Suggestions buttkicker and vr Mar 6, 2017
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Oculus Rift Sound Blaster z Buttkicker Assetto Corsa Nov 22, 2016
    Suggestions buttkicker issues Nov 2, 2016
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues AC gives random spikes to SimVibe / buttkicker Aug 21, 2016
    Audio Bugs & Issues Buttkicker Clipping May 21, 2016
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Buttkicker with ac Nov 5, 2015
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues ButtKicker still running after I press "ESC" Dec 3, 2013
    Chit Chat Room ButtKicker setting suggestion?! Nov 18, 2013
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions No Gamertag Apr 23, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions Butt kicker Gamer 2 SimHub profile Apr 10, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer Help with dedicated server configuration (Elite gamers) Sep 25, 2019
    Chit Chat Room Gamers and Devs Aug 11, 2019

3. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Racer

BK2 worked fine on my rig, much better than I had expected. It does not turn your rig/chair into a real motion simulator, but it adds a lot to immersion.
    Sadly it had an issue and I got an RMA. The manufacturer is now working on a better one to replace the old BK (so they told me).
    Almost all Guitammers' stuff is still out of stock (should be available again within a few weeks).
    I now asked for an upgrade to the LFE, but if you use a chair, the BK2 is for you.
    And yes, I miss the shaker...
    There are other brands that work as well or better than the BK2, but none of them have that smart clamp for your chair.

4. Rudski

Rudski Alien

Imo I think if you only have a regular seat you are best to spend money on something else to improve the immersion level.

This is just opinion but I also think the BK is just a gimmick, a single transducers sure is better then none but if it's not going to do the job accurately why have it in the first place? The correct time to get transducers would be when you already have a sim rig and the ability to place them on each corner.

The single buttkicker isn't bad and I'm not sure on your budget but I always thought if you want tactile transducers the best ones for sim racing are the mini LFE's paired with SimVibe software and I'd save up the money to just get the correct solution first time. Doing it right the first time also saves money when you eventually upgrade, you might have to wait a bit longer but it's usually worthwhile.

For those who haven't hear of the mine LFE's the link is below, same with the SimVibe software.

http://www.thebuttkicker.com/mini-lfe
    http://simxperience.com/en-us/products/simvibe/simvibesoftware.aspx

5. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

So AC does take the signal from physics and not sound? Otherwise wouldn't be much point to have multiple transducers (?) Or it requires the SimVibe to able to do that?

6. Rudski

Rudski Alien

Transducers are just subs essentially so they always need an audio signal, how that signal is generated and relayed to the speakers depends I believe on the software you use. I don't know too much on it, I did read up on it a few years ago there is heaps of material on the internet, I don't know how simexperience do it but it's very accurate and that's all that matters.

7. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

At the moment I use same PC for everything, and that's the way it's gonna be.. building some sort of self-made sim rig could be possible, without that. I wouldn't have room for it either.

So something that can be attached to a regular office seat and slightly improves immersion, would have to do. Other thing I've been considering is VR, but triples offer pretty good immersion already (and were an investment) so not sure if I want to go into VR in anytime soon. So this feels like the only way at the moment to really improve my sim. Obviously a single transducer won't give any directional feedback, but even if it can somehow communicate what car is doing and adds immersion, could invest some 100-150 euros into it. Not much more

8. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Racer

If you don't use Simvibe the audio signal triggers the BK2. But it does a pretty nice job at that. It does shake on impact, bottoming, shifting, hitting kerbs and so on.
    Only downside (in pCars) was that it also reacted to the sound of thunder, and pretty hard too.
    It also reacts to music, but that is no issue for me since I don't listen to music while racing...

9. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Alright. Other cars passing? Shame it can't take the signal out of physics natively.
    I have some wooden chairs, that I could permanently attach an unit into. (Under it maybe) Is there any alternative for BKG2, that wouldn't require more than 150€ investments? Like using single Mini LFE?

10. Rudski

Rudski Alien

It does if you use SimVibe, if you don't then it's messy I think that's how it works. SimVibe is smart enough to not play the sounds of other cars and stuff like that. Just google simvibe and have a read of how it works because it's amazing software and pretty cheap for what it does.

I just got my CV1 about a month or so ago and I can say it will truly improve the immersion over triple screens. Such as twisting your neck to look out a window to see the AI side by side. I've also noticed I hit the apex way better now and also the elevation changes on a lot of tracks make some of them look completely different especially compared to a single screen. The CV1 is a pretty big investment but I think it's worth the money.

I waited for the CV1 so I never purchased triples I guess if you already own three screens it might be worth upgrading something else, one thing I would stay away from is the Fanatec V2 base because by the time you purchase a wheel the total cost is around $1300 or more. Considering they only offer a one year warranty on their gear I would hesitate and purchase another wheel base over that purely for the warranty.

11. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Alright. SimVibe would require 2 sound cards I believe? Which I happen to own already (onboard + external). But also an amplifier, that I don't. But I would need that with LFE minis anyway? Wonder what the total costs would be for single transducer + amp + simvibe + wiring etc.

Actually I use trackIR (which I had earlier) together with triples, might feel weird to many people. I don't have my screens in classic 45 degree setting, can't set them on my workdesk without the perspective looking wrong. My screens are parallel (sidescreens not pointing towards me). Also with TrackIR it works better like this, perspective doesn't distort when changing viewpoint and I can check cars on my sides/behind by turning my head. VR would be no doubt better, just a bit too expensive.

12. RReed43

RReed43 Hardcore Simmer

The technology you are describing goes by the name "tactile". It is no gimmick and adds a lot to the experience of sim racing.

You can use the audio output from the sim, filter off the higher frequencies and pass the remaining audio to a low frequency amplifier and on to a bass shaker. It will add a lot to the sim experience. This is the cheapest solution but far from the best.

As mentioned SimVibe is an add on software package that analyzes the actual physical events in the car (engine, transmission, shocks, wheels and road surface). It translates these into output for the bass shaker. It can produce outputs for the four corners of the car or for specific elements. It costs just under $100 so it isn't cheap.

ButtKicker are a branded name for bass shakers. There are other manufacturers who probably offer better value for money. You definitely need an amplifier designed for high output of low frequency energy. Normal audio amplifiers aren't suitable.

I have SimVibe, four bass shakers (~$50 each) and four 75 watt 4Ω sub woofer ampliers ($50 each). My set up cost me just under $500 and it is worth every penny. A single transducer system with SimVibe would cost aoubt $180 and would be expandable as you add onto your system.

ShredatorFIN and Rudski like this.
  13. Rudski

Rudski Alien

Also as you can see Reed is using the brand Aura which are also very very decent, I believe some say better then BK's and I also believe the mini LTE's. And yes, you're gonna need an amp, there are a few everyone recommends - google is your friend :)

ShredatorFIN likes this.
  14. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

15. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

I modified my office chair using one LFE, two ADX bass-shakers and one Aura base shaker. The LFE does large bumps duties, the ADX units are L/R suspension and the Aura unit is for engine rpm's. By having the individual units doing effects that are best suited to their respective characteristics, I get a very broad and full range of Vibe-effects that can be surprisingly convincing and the seat's built-in spring/shock suspension work great in replicating large bumps - enough to shake my view in VR. :)

I had to fabricate custom brackets for the transducers but, they are work great despite being on an office chair (racing seat style).

Fanapryde likes this.
  16. Snoopy

Snoopy Alien

I've had a buttkicker and two smaller shakers for a long time and it has always been such a great addition to my rig. Don't expect realistic motion from them, but they give a great feedback when going over bumps and curbs. When coupled with VR they add even more to the whole experience.
    Ive got one for the front suspension, one for the rear and for the gear stick.

17. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

Yeah, tactile can't replace motion but, it sure can enhance it and serve to close the gap a bit when you don't have motion. I think every added layered effect ramps up the immersion factor just a bit more and it's even more relevant with VR.