1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Can someone explain physics of this accident in detail ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by mantasisg 2, Mar 2, 2018.

1. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Accident is seen at 1:20. Maybe you know more similar accidents captured on video ?

Mini Cooper rolls after hitting kerb.

I find this very interesting, and I'm trying to understand why it happened.

To begin with I'm wondering how hitting kerb generated so much force to launch inside side of the car so high ? Is it some kind of resonance of front inside, and then rear inside wheel kerb hit ? Is it some fault, lock of suspension, or suspension geometry ? Is it because low susp travel ? Is it because too stiff roll-bar ? Is it because some weird play of dampers ?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC General Discussions Can Someone Explain The Digital Notations-Numbers on the Windscreen? May 30, 2019
    Chit Chat Room Can someone explain these update notes? Nov 26, 2016
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Can someone explain the IsOpen (acServerManager Can Join) server option please? Jun 28, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Can someone explain fanatec gear to me? Feb 26, 2015
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Someone please explain fxaa to me Oct 23, 2014
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Someone please help!! Jul 15, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Game crashes - Could someone please help interpret log? Jul 15, 2022
    ACC Multiplayer someone please help with entry list? Feb 28, 2022
    Chit Chat Room Someone is using speed hacking? Jan 30, 2021
    Chit Chat Room Someone is using speed hacking? Jan 29, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Hi can someone can help? When i wanna click on "Assetto Corsa" then i got an error of "Asseto Corsa" Dec 20, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer Can you report someone for wrecking and corner cutting Nov 7, 2020
    ACC Physics Would someone be willing to share a Motec file? Oct 26, 2020
    Chit Chat Room Could someone send me my missing car data files? Sep 5, 2020
    General modding discussion Someone to make a custom track Jul 9, 2020

3. mms

mms Alien

Sorry, but video playback got stuck at 0:30 :D

It's hard to say really just from the video, but I don't see anything that should prevent this happening, it's probably a combination of different things that resulted in a force big enough to roll the car...

4. TheBoss

TheBoss Hardcore Simmer

It is a little heavy car and very rigid, when passing by the curb the inner wheels have more height and all the weight of the vehicle goes towards the outer side generated by the inertia making it take more grip on these wheels and not allowing them to slip.

You can see videos of the same type with Fiat500 abarth, some day we will recreate this in Assetto Corsa ... Some day.

This was easy to do in netkar namie:D

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  5. dermonty

dermonty Hardcore Simmer

All I can say is, that physics in real life are really complex. There are so many variables who influence what happens at the end. But in this case I would say its mostly because of the kerb is really high and the spring and damper system is absorbing a lot of energy through the hit. This force have to go somewhere and spring is giving it back and so the car jumps. And if you are on the left 2 wheels and rotating the car to the right then there is a sweetspot where the cars flips.

mms likes this.
  6. Neilski

Neilski Alien

Yes, mostly right. However, you're slightly mixing up what's going on between dampers and springs. Really stiff dampers could make this happen all by themselves. Stiff springs could also do it. The physics of what's actually going on is a bit different in the two cases though. (Stiff dampers would prevent the wheel moving much relative to the chassis, and basically this would force the whole chassis up when the wheel hits the kerb.)

dermonty and mms like this.
  7. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

@dermonty But the dampers should slow dawn the compression, and extension of the spring too. Also the kerb doesn't look extremely high, medium maybe.

@Neilski Ninjad, I also think whats the difference in the pace of motion in this case. It must be fast_bump thing to hit the kerb, an I see that some cars in AC has separate sliders for fast bumps. So maybe very stiff fast bump, or very soft fast rebound ?

Neilski likes this.
  8. MrDeap

MrDeap Hardcore Simmer

The bluecar by blocking the path forced human steering & the front roll + the rotational inertia force made the rear ARB rear tire load grip created a higher the center of gravity which resulted flip.

9. william1141

william1141 Simracer

well, it looks like the car is quite top heavy. So with racing suspension being quite stiff and springy at the same time, taking that kurb indeed caused it enough to put too much force on the left side on the car, which causes the center of gravity to shift it all to the left side. Hence this result

10. It has a relatively high center of gravity and short track width, so in hard steady-state cornering, it's not going to be in particularly stable equilibrium - it's at a disadvantage to start. Hitting the curb allows the car to get up onto two wheels, making a situation where the outside wheels act as a pivot point. Once the centripetal force from the tires reaches a certain point, the torque caused by gravity can be overcome and allow the car to roll over.

11. esox71

esox71 Alien

kerb of death....fix in next update.

GCCRacer, Neilski and mms like this.
  12. LeSunTzu

LeSunTzu Alien

Same as this one:

Both guys were much too fast in the corner and hit the inside curb. If you try it in your own car, chances are you might get the same result whatever the dampers :B

mantasisg 2 likes this.
  13. Nao

Nao Alien

If you look closely start of the kerb is quite steep and goes up *a lot*, so it works like a ramp used in stunts. As i see it it's not the dampers (or springs) being too hard but rather the bump too big, also you'd have to have above critical (fast) damping to see significant increase in jumpiness.

The jump up is caused mostly by rear left getting compressed from the significant roll moment created at front right while climbing the kerb. It's not really a resonance, same thing happens to table if you put a rock under one leg. Also rear right going up a the kerb helps, but is not required for this kind of jump to happen.
    Then as the front continues to fly up on inertia, rear is pushed upwards by compressed spring which results in a jump up. Rest comes from track having a lot of camber and still rising as well as the delay on jump in the rear causing oversteer on landing.
    I'd say most cars with "sporty" suspension could jump like that. It's down to springs/chassis being stiff/strong enough to store enough energy in compression, instead of bending.

ps: And if we take stiffer suspension ...
    [​IMG]

14. Winston

Winston Hardcore Simmer

15. LeiF

LeiF Alien

Looks perfectly reasonable to me. The weight of the car has already shifted to the left before hitting the kerb.

When the right wheels hit the kerb that side of the car is pushed up easier as all the weight has already shifted to the outside of the car. So then as the right wheels leave the ground even more weight transfers to the left hand side which actually gives more friction between the tyre and the tarmac, helping it grip to actually encourage the rollover.

Then conservation of angular momentum does the rest!

mms and Blamer like this.
  16. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

I think that Kerb is not that steep, not the flattest one maybe, but I don't think it has much of ramp effect there, maybe a bit, but the whole accident is more like a trampoline action, I think. Interesting point about left rear wheel being compressed, haven't paid much attention to it before, mostly looked at the inside wheel.. But yeah, I can see now, front right goes high up very suddenly, compresses rear and especially rear left so incredibly much that it bounces up. Interesting to see that both rear wheels are off the ground for brief moment, and when it comes down there is second compression happening, and then the extension into oversteerish slide, which probably was caused by that short moment of rear wheels being in the air. Interesting isthat left rear susp extensions didn't result in saving the car from roll over, but more like the opposite. Also it is interesting how that part of tire had a capability to keep some grip, can be seen nicely from the skidmark, which follows the curve nicely. I suppose he would have gone straight, he wouldn't have rolled over, but maybe he couldn't as he was sliding struggling to get grip.

I think that is not entirely true for the first phase (when car is still not on four wheels, or inside wheels are not very high up), because weight doesn't shift, though it is called weight transfer, but what really shift is load, of course some of weight may also transfer, I think weight shift is directly tied to coG shift, so as there is still little CoG shift the only thing that really transfers is the load. But I think the same like you for the second phase when inside wheels are high up.

I think that the weight which hits the curbs of the inside actually creates that much upwards force, and energy to accelerate that side of the car upwards. I don't think that it is only ramp effect, more like trampoline and a little bit of ramp too.

LeiF likes this.
  17. LeiF

LeiF Alien

I suppose weight shift is not the correct term, more that there is more force on the outer wheels. Technically weight is just a force. Mass is just mass, what we think of as weight is just the force on a mass due caused by gravity, in this case we mean that the weight is added to by an additional force on the outside wheels caused by cornering, and of course it then follows that the opposite effect is experienced on the inside wheels. So in a sense the outside of the car IS heavier and the inside IS lighter before we actually hit the kerb.

18. Neilski

Neilski Alien

Yeah, I just watched it frame by frame and I think the left rear lifting was crucial. When I watched it the first time I wondered what had induced the oversteer but yes, the left rear lifting off the ground, just for a moment, allowed the rear to step out and that essentially tightened the turn from the car's point of view, increasing the torque trying to roll it.

I do think the driver could have saved it pretty easily if he had only countersteered - the video makes it look like he didn't even try to do so. I know it all happened pretty fast but still...

mantasisg 2 likes this.
  19. Skybird

Skybird Alien

He was too fast when hitting the cornerstones. Right side springs get compressed, then must release again of course, making the right side lift, and downforce interrupted, think of it as a "reverse stall". Since he was too fast, and turning, G forces slowly flipped over the already lifted right side of the car, et voila. No secrets there.

I recently saw another video by pro-driver Steffen Seyffahrt where he evaluated laps done by players, and time and again he stared in disbelief and told people that they were driving too fast were braking too aggressively, and should use pedals smoother, not so abrupt, and be less aggressive. And he was talking about drivers /players NOT flipping over. I can only imagine what he would say to this one in this video.

Too fast over the curbs. Thats the summary.

20. Neilski

Neilski Alien

LOL! Those cars look as though they have net lift, not downforce ;)

Fabri Fibra likes this.
  21. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Yes, thats why I said downforce INTERRUPTED, and what I mean by saying "reverse stall".

The net lateral forces without the jump over the curbs probably would not have made the car overutrning. The hop however elevated two of the four contact points, also lifted the car's base plat, and however low compared to formula cars the downforce from that plate on such a car is - it is there, just not as excessive in net effect as in said formula cars. As long as the net lateral force is lower than the net downforce, the car stays on all four wheels, maybe will slide, but will not overturn. When the laterla force exceeds downforce vector - then it overturns.

I think of it in force vectors. These cars have no explicit lift vector, like an aircraft's wing is designed to intentionally create.

An aircraft stalls if the flow of air over the wing is not sufficiently faster than the stream of air under the wing, yoiu then have not the effect of the vacuum over thwe wing sucking the wing upwards, because then the delta between both streams of air can no longer equalise and surpass the force created by the mass of the plane which makes it wanting to drop down (downforce vector). Thats why I ironically comparerd the car acicdent to a stall, calling it a reverse stall. Dont take it too serious, though, it was meant more as a funny term.