1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Generic Can we expect button mapping or external keyboard support with the Red Pack release?

Discussion in 'Console Lounge' started by Jason Duchac, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Jason Duchac

Jason Duchac Gamer

Wondering if these features are going to be implemented before the new DLC with the SF15 and the 919 hybrid.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions When do we expect the hotfix? Mar 18, 2022
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres 'Unexpected error' when modifying car mod Feb 4, 2022
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Fanatec Formula Wheel v2.5 rotary encoder not working as expected Feb 3, 2022
    Physics Bugs & Issues HELP ME!!! Unexpected error - file dx_utils.cpp - Funcion dx_step_tex - Line 507 Jun 23, 2021
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds unexpected error Jun 13, 2021
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds "Unexpected Error" when loading a track Apr 3, 2021
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Unexpected error Oct 16, 2020
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Multiplayer unexpected crash / race cannceled Jul 2, 2020
    Console Lounge Impressions on base XBOX - not what I expected Jun 24, 2020
    ACC Hardware Discussions What performance gain can I expect from overclocking an i5 6600k? Apr 2, 2020
    ACC Hardware Discussions Will try ACC again..but what performance can i expect with this system? Feb 4, 2020
    Chit Chat Room Can we expect VRSS for Assetto Corsa? Jan 28, 2020
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds SLI RTX 2080Ti Unexpected Limit? Dec 2, 2019
    ACC General Discussions What do you expect from 1.0.0 ? May 5, 2019
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Unable to connect to server. "Internal error: Unexpected character encountered while parsing value" Apr 5, 2019

3. ZX636

ZX636 Hardcore Simmer

Wonder if Kunos decided to implement a "commo rose"-style quick menu, which shows up when you hold the R1/LB button.
    Has its pros and cons, but It could work if done properly.

Edit: Something like this..
    [​IMG]
    ..with more than 3 quick menus, of course.
    The SF15-T would need one more, if I'm not mistaken:
    1) MGU-K Regen rate
    2) MGU-K Deployment profiles
    3) MGU-H Mode
    4) Engine Brake
    Then you can use L1 for KERS, R1 for TC and Triangle for DRS.

Selecting one of the 4 menus above, another sub-menu would open (pic below), displaying all the available settings (For example: Charging, Balanced Low, Balanced High, Overtake, Top Speed and Hot Lap, when you need to choose a MGU-K deployment profile).

[​IMG]

Just an idea.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  4. Donnced2

Donnced2 Alien

Easier way is to provide personal button mapping.. A feature that is basic in a sim driving game like Assetto.. And should been there since beginning.
    PC version have it since beginning.. Why they didn't port it like it was in the original game??

Some very bad decisions where made from Kunos "porting" the game.

ingrobny, SlimCharles and ppbucko like this.
  5. ZX636

ZX636 Hardcore Simmer

The main problem is that pads only have X buttons. To assign a new function, you need to get rid of the old one first. Will that be possible? Unless I completely missed something obvious, sorry if that's the case.
    PS: I don't know how many buttons wheel users have access to, because I never used one.

bradleyland likes this.
  6. danowat

danowat Hardcore Simmer

All they need to do is look at how Elite Dangerous manages to do it.

7. Donnced2

Donnced2 Alien

On my wheel i have the same amount of buttons a controller has...
    Same problem for everyone...

Thats why the game should have come with personal button mapping like the PC version or basically every single driving game on consoles...

Man..even Pcars has keyboard compatibility.. And you can map extra options on it...(Assetto in PC also)
    And that's perfect!
    Basic and most useful option you map them on the wheel / controler and the rest of options on the keyboard...

Like that i play Pcars on PS4:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ingrobny and bradleyland like this.
  8. fredzy

fredzy Rookie

I was just thinking about this, and had an idea similar to the OP. I hope Kunos sees this and incorporates it, because it would be ideal.

There definitely needs to be an in-race settings menu similar to the Gran Turismo RA menu function. I couldn't find a good picture, so for those who are unfamiliar, video below.

The key would be how the custom button mapping could work with it. One button (let's use X) would pop the RA menu up on the HUD, at which point 1 or 2 buttons (Up, Down, for example) can be used to cycle through the menu options (TC, ABS, brake balance, boost level, hybrid recovery/mode options etc. etc.) and one or two buttons (Left, Right) can be used to adjust each setting. Press the X button again, the RA menu clears off the HUD and the buttons that functioned to cycle through and adjust settings are now back to their primary functions, like Up = cycle HUD layout, Left = look left etc.

At the same time, if you would like to be able to cycle TC or adjust hybrid recovery on the fly without going into that menu - you could still assign one button to cycle those functions independently from the menu. Finally, the same button that is used to bring up the RA menu thing (X in our case) could work as an "alt" button that toggles the function of any button with dual-purpose. This would make it possible to cover every game function with just about any controller in a reasonable way. The RA menu/alt-function should not be able to interfere with driving in any way (gas, brake, clutch, e-brake, gears etc. can not be assigned with any dual-function) and the RA menu shouldn't interfere with view. The RA menu/alt function should also clear after 5 seconds or so with no activity.

This is hella complicated for an average gamer, and so I wouldn't expect it to be part of a standard controller setting or anything. I'd guess anyone with a wheel, or who would put more than a couple hours into the game would utilize this sort of control scheme.

Currently my T300 settings are working OK for me (I think I'm back to using the generic wheel settings scheme) but there are plenty of problems. The biggest right now is that with some cars, changing view simultaneously changes my brake balance!

9. Donnced2

Donnced2 Alien

Yes i now the GT RA system... But it's distracting while you have a look between the options and then enter the option and do the set....If you want to change the brake balance twice on a straight for the next bends it's to slow...

I realy like more the Pcars style..full personalised button mapping and keyboard compatibility.
    So you map the most need /used things on your wheel / controler and the rest on the keyboard.. Cause you can use them together and button layout stays saved.
    [​IMG]
    And easy and fast inputs while playing.

TheGT500, SlimCharles and ingrobny like this.
  10. SlimCharles

SlimCharles Alien

Yes. PCars is brilliant in this matter.

TheGT500 and Donnced2 like this.
  11. fredzy

fredzy Rookie

Definitely agree that RA menu can be distracting, but I'd take it over requiring an additional peripheral. That said, I do see some pretty cheap bluetooth keyboards. If they go that way, I'll go that way. Would be best to have all options available!

12. JIJDAN

JIJDAN Racer

It would be really nice to map buttons to the actual buttons on my Thrustmaster Ferrari F1 wheel.

ppbucko and Donnced2 like this.
  13. Jason Duchac

Jason Duchac Gamer

Not a bad idea, but I think it would be cumbersome to hold the button and cycle through modes while trying to drive. I feel pretty strongly that the only way this can be done properly is with keyboard support and custom button mapping. I obviously don't know enough to say how difficult it would be to implement from the coding side, but Project CARS managed it, and Kunos seems amply capable.

TheGT500 likes this.
  14. TheGT500

TheGT500 Racer

For its many faults and bugs, pCARS got at least one thing right with its inclusion of keyboard / button box capabilities to go with custom button assignment.
    When I'm racing I want only what I feel are the most important features on my wheel, whilst others may want different ones. For me, looking left/right and rear view are are first and foremost essential, especially since the FOV adjustability is so restrictive. KERS / DRS is obviously better suited to wheel / controller mapping whilst MGU recovery / deployment I could happily have mapped to a keyboard, along with headlights and HUD cycle.
    With so many options available for adjustability it is essential we can customise what the individual player needs and wants !

15. Jason Duchac

Jason Duchac Gamer

That's precisely how I feel. At the very least, I hope that the next patch introduces button mapping if not external keyboard support. I hate that the previous update made it impossible to look left and right.

TheGT500 likes this.
  16. ZX636

ZX636 Hardcore Simmer

This is the main reason why I started thinking about something like the "wheel menu" that's used in Battlefield.
    The GT system seems useful as well, since It lets you chance different settings on the fly.
    And then we have Elite Dangerous. I never played it but I guess this is what @danowat is talking about. Once again, hold a button, bring up a new menu.
    [​IMG]

If Kunos choose the keyboard route, then fine. I'll be happy for those who would like to use that.

fredzy likes this.
  17. danowat

danowat Hardcore Simmer

ED actually has two systems, you can hold the button down with a long press and get the context menu, or you can hold the button down with a short press and access the command without having to wait for the context menu.

This solves two issues, firstly you can learn the command prompts easily with the long press system, and then once you know them, you can just short press the button without having to wait for the menu.

fredzy and ZX636 like this.
  18. ZX636

ZX636 Hardcore Simmer

That shows how much you can do with just one button.

19. danowat

danowat Hardcore Simmer

Yeah, it's a perfect example of just how well you can implement a vast amount of functions to just the few buttons that the console controllers provide.

20. SlimCharles

SlimCharles Alien

That would be a very good idea. If for some reason button mapping is too complicate to add, that would be a solution until they finally are able to add keyboard compatibility and button mapping.

For example, with the current button set up: if "Driving modes" and "Traction control" are in the same button, you change driving modes by pressing and the traction control by holding (because TC is used less than driving modes).

Cant figure out why they havent implement that yet. At the begining there was a combination of buttons between looking right and left to look back.

21. Donnced2

Donnced2 Alien

On PC sims the people play with the wheel /controler and use keyboard for extra button mapping.

The PS4 is already compatible with keyboards..so it would be easy to Kunos to implement it,cause, it should already be in the code..as the PC version got it.

I use an cheap 2€ USB number keyboard for the extra button mapping on Project C.A.R.S... And it's way faster method than an distracting and slower RA system like GT or F1 2016..

Chance brake balance.. Moving the seat..rollbar options.. Just push the assigned button and done.

How more distracting things you have playing racing games with an RA system then you can have a crash due it or miss braking point,or been overtaked,or losing time with the driver in front of you..

How faster your inputs are, the better it is no?

Reinart86 likes this.