1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Correct FOV/POV settings

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Gevatter, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

Hi everyone, maybe you can help me out here.

Pretext (inb4 the FOV discussion kicks in):
    I've read a lot of discussions about the correct FOV over the years, and that one should use his calculated FOV to avoid distortions in depth perception when racing. My calculated FOV is ~31°, and some time last year I tried to use that for a few months. Now I still use a setup with a single 27" monitor, so that FOV was very far forward and it felt incredibly slow. So slow in fact, that I constantly misjudged my speed going into corners. I also couldn't see anything that was to my side, even sharp corners became guesswork. I read that it takes some time to get used to it, so I kept at it but after a few months of trying I lost a lot of my enjoyment in Sim Racing that I only got back once i reverted to the 54° FOV that I used before. I'm quite content with the feeling of speed I get and I can generally judge corners and distances quite well with those settings - I use visual cures for braking and turning anyways. Calculated FOV will only become viable for me once I upgrade to triple screens, which I hope will happen some time this year.

OK, rant over, here is my question: Using 54° FOV, I am not sure about the POV. I obviously center it at the steering column and adjust the height just enough to be able to see out of the car. I usually also like to set the POV a bit to the front using the seat position setting in the onboard app, so that my physical steering wheel kind of lines up with the virtual one (which I then disable). Now some days ago I read a discussion on the rF2 Forum about POV and that detting the POV to far to the front or back messes with your perception of the point of rotation of your car, making it harder to judge the cars behavior and distorting visual cues about what the car is doing.

It was the first time I heard that, and I've been unsure ever since. Doe you have any more info on that, or any experiencees? I tried the use the standard POV Assetto gives us, which alignes with the driver figure in the cars, but it just seems not right. In relation to my physical wheel I feel less like being in the car - as far as that goes with a single monitor - and more like playing a game.

So is there a correct way to set POV (excluding calculated FOV)? Should I take the FOV down a few clicks instead of bringing the seat position forward or does the seat position not matter at all?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions 2023 Season Opponents not correct Mar 27, 2024
    ACC Gameplay Red Bull Ring PitEntry state not set correctly Jan 25, 2024
    Programming Language - Apps - GUI Themes Perspective correction for curved monitors Aug 19, 2023
    ACC User Interface Tyre Pressure Bars not working correctly for dry tyres after 1.9 patch Jul 7, 2023
    ACC Physics Steering lock of Ferrari 296 not correct Apr 23, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Xbox controller rumble randomly stops working correctly Mar 16, 2023
    ACC Gameplay Personal lap time displayed incorrectly Sep 18, 2022
    ACC Controls & Peripherals G920 not synced correctly May 11, 2022
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Pit Box at Brands Hatch in incorrect place (Car number 31) Feb 23, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Incorrect Competition Server Region Feb 13, 2022
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds FSR/DLSS and Projection Correction? Jan 11, 2022
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues Temperature not show correct Jan 8, 2022
    ACC Gameplay no correct continuation after pause Nov 29, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting Incorrect Documentation for Max Steering Angle of BMW M4 GT3 Nov 29, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting Ferrari 488 GT3 Evo Incorrect Lap shown as Best Lap on Q Dash Nov 29, 2021

3. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

No such thing as correct point of view, and it's totally unrelated to field of view. PoV is entirely dependent on how tall your 'simulated' driver is and seating position preference.

Obviously the adjustments make it possible to use a totally unrealistic PoV but there's no definite right/wrong.

4. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

Or you could get VR goggles and all those issue would magically disappear. the FOV and POV would feel totally natural.
    Getting the impression of being in a car by watching a monitor or monitors will always be a compromise at best.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  5. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

Please try to explain how VR makes PoV 'correct'.

Edit: Sorry, realise that's not what you were suggesting. Even with VR tho, the PoV needs adjusting so it feels natural to each specific user. It's never automatically correct cos there's no such thing.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  6. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

VR is not an option until there is a uniform standard across all variants - although I do see your point.

@BrunUK so car rotation feeling isn't influenced by my seating position is what you're saying? I#m not going forward massively far, just so that it fits. Sadly there is no counter on the seating postion, so I have no reference to give.

7. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

It is always correct for this specific user, :p, but there is also a way to fine tune, as we don't all drive the same way in real life, some like a close to the wheel position, some like to be further back, so yes it might not be set exactly like you personally like it in real life, the point is either way it feels natural in VR, and it always feel awkward watching a monitor.
    It is one off those thing that always feel weird to me watching monitors for years, big, small, triples and used to drive me crazy because it is never right, and using the goggles for 30 second, all of it feels "perfect" as in not an issue anymore. with VR you are just there, not anymore trying to convince yourself that you are in a car like with monitor(s), but suddenly trying to convince yourself that you are not really there.

8. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

That is understood, good luck in your quest.:D

9. Kade

Kade Hardcore Simmer

I used to have 24-inch monitor with 30 degrees of calculated fov. It's been a little over half a year since I upgraded to 27-inch 1440p monitor and just recently re-calculated the "realistic" fov. The new result was 35 degrees which instantly felt better because now I can actually see the apex most of the time.

I wouldn't go any higher tho' because you start to lose accuracy further you go. 30 degrees of "incorrect" fov made me more accurate only in the corners that I could see. I would suggest to use fov close to your calculated fov but large enough to actually see where you are going. 35 degrees works very well for me personally.

10. Alex S

Alex S Racer

Cote Dazur already explained but I will add further.

With VR the virtual drivers "head" is replaced with your head, quite literally.

Your 'head' will be placed where the virtual drivers head is, meaning, when you look down at your body in VR you will see your legs and the seat straps as if they were on your person. From there I usually move the seat up a tick or two as I am taller.

My seat is on sliders, so I usually just center the 'camera' with the seat in a neutral position and just slide it as I would in real life and it all reflects as it would.

So having experienced VR POV, here is what I would do if I went back to a 2d screen: 1) Move the camera way back, as far back as you can with the FOV set as close as possible to what the calculated FOV is.

When I tried to run with a calculated FOV on a 2d screen my camera was pushed all the way up front so that the dashboard gauges could be somewhat visible through the gap in my steering wheel. and I barely saw any dashboard or even my A pillars. However to get what looks like it does in VR it's nearly impossible, you really do need a triple screen setup or a massive curve screen I guess.

With a single monitor setup you just need to compromise.

On a 27" single screen and around 25" away from the screen I believe I ran an FOV of around 35 and found that to be the best compromise, when calculated was 29 (or 30) but that was impossible to drive with.