1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Could the AI stop pushing if there's someone in front, please?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by OrganDonor, Mar 11, 2019.

1. OrganDonor

OrganDonor Racer

As the title says - this behaviour has been present since the start and doesn't seem to be going away. Even in 0.6.3 it feels like AI are just oblivious of anyone else being in front of them. God forbid you're ahead of them and trying to take a corner, they just don't back out. Instead they just keep pushing and pushing and pushing until you're off the track, spun around and they're gone.

Here's an example: https://streamable.com/osyqm. I know I didn't overtake him fully but the Bentley in front of me braked too early (as the AI always does in turn 1) and I had to dive right. I think in any real life situation the driver behind me would have realised that I'm going into the turn first and there isn't room for two but not in ACC. Even though the AI was 10cm beside me, they still think they're entitled to take the corner. Makes me be afraid of everyone in the first corner, which ruins the whole excitement of the race simulation.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Gameplay AI disqualified( not attempting to pit during mandatory pitstops ) Mar 5, 2024
    ACC User Interface CTRL+Left/right for HUD moving stopped working Dec 10, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Did the developer stop updating events on xbox series x? Nov 20, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Xbox controller rumble randomly stops working correctly Mar 16, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Nitrado pitstops Mar 13, 2023
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues Pitstop countdown Mar 11, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Mid-Race Saves in Championship Mode Stop Working Feb 22, 2023
    Physics Bugs & Issues AI behavior on pit stops Nov 20, 2022
    Physics Bugs & Issues ACC keeps crashing non stop Nov 4, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting ACC stops at startup Logo Screen Oct 26, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions ACC 1.8 Update AI Pitstop Issue Sep 30, 2022
    General modding discussion (question)how to stop a car from setting stance from data Aug 14, 2022
    Chit Chat Room New software for Assetto Corsa - AI-based race assistants incl. strategy and pitstop control Jul 1, 2022
    Programming Language - Apps - GUI Themes AI-based Race Assistants with full (remote) Pitstop automation Jun 17, 2022
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds AI pit stops. I discovered the error, but you can only solve it. Jun 12, 2022

3. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

Sorry, but totally your fault. After you dove into the Nismo's lane to avoid the Bentley, you tried to go for the apex while he was still on your inside. You basically tried to force him off his line, you should've just kept to your line, which was on the outside of the Nismo.

Dookie, PiretSS2000, Guidofoc and 4 others like this.
  4. Adastros

Adastros Racer

you right but the ai could slow down a bit too

CrimsonEminence and mms like this.
  5. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

I disagree. This is like getting divebombed into T1 and then getting blamed by the divebomber for not leaving enough room.
    Overtake was way too aggressive, too late on the brake, switching into Nismo's lane whilst braking, forcing Nismo off line into the first part of the chicane. Not to talk about the rejoin :rolleyes:

Sure, Nismo could've slowed down a bit, but asking for the AI to stop pushing when there's someone in front (at which point was OP in front even???), after driving like basically a rookie, is pretty laughable.

Not defending the AI like a fanboy or whatever, I've seen some weird moves from the AI too, but this incident shouldn't be blamed on the AI and was pretty much avoidable if OP would've driven a bit more carefully.

GoBo likes this.
  6. Adastros

Adastros Racer

like i said you right but I was talking about the moment after the crash when the car kept pushing it ( sorry i have bad english )

Reinart86, mms and OrganDonor like this.
  7. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

Ahh, I see. Yeah, I agree on that part. I think the AI has still more to learn regarding those situations. I see them standing still on the track with their noses in the barrier from time to time, seems like they don't know they have a reverse gear :D

PiretSS2000 and Adastros like this.
  8. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

I consider this a very dangerous statement. Let's zoom out of the AI situation for a second - during braking, we should always assume everybody is on the limit. That's how braking in (GT) racing works: You pick your brakepoint, slam the brakes into ABS and hope you correctly estimated your brakepoint, which equals to you hit your turn-in point and so on.

There is no room for "brake harder", or "slow down a bit". Once the braking starts, you are a passenger in terms of deceleration. The only possible action (aside from moving laterally) is to release the brakes.

So yes, in this quite special situation with the AI we know they are going slow into T1, but that doesn't mean you should start to treat them disrespectfully. And what I can see here is that you give no room to the AI, but instead cut into their way. Yes, you could argue we could add complexity to try to cover this (although I think it will already take care if you reduce the aggressivness enough), with the risk of making them worse in other situations. Or we agree on you probably wouldn't have done this to a human opponent, and maybe just need to treat AIs a bit more like humans, and the experience suddenly becomes better?

Dookie, GoBo, ctnich and 5 others like this.
  9. Son

Son Hardcore Simmer

Watching the video carefully, you turn in quite early and get caught by the Nissan who is simply braking the only way they can. There is no where else for the Nissan to go there, so you should have gone deeper into the corner to allow for room, rather than try and cut the AI off.

10. OrganDonor

OrganDonor Racer

I try and treat AI just like I would human beings. I know it's all functions and classes at the back of it so I need to play by the rules for the AI to feel realistic. However, I was more talking about the AI continuing to accelerate even though they're already spinning me around. I agree to an extent that I cut them off and I totally see your point about being a passenger while breaking, but if they did hit an obstacle they should at least try and slow down. Watch the moment when I'm already at 90 degrees - the AI just keeps accelerating as if I wasn't there. If they weren't I could've saved the spin, but as it stands they kept flooring it until their path was clear. That behaviour to me is wrong, no real human being would keep pushing in that instance.

I'm just too afraid to touch anyone else. I lost 25 SA points in one online race alone and now I'm at 45. Every single touch penalises me no matter whose fault it is (a different topic of conversation) so I was trying to stay away from the cars on my left because they don't really give you any space when turning in at turn 1.

Reinart86 and CrimsonEminence like this.
  11. bgil66

bgil66 Alien

lol that vid reminded me of a situation this weekend on the highway. While I was driving at a good rate of speed and obeying the laws the car in front of me looked like an undercover cop so I kept a little distance. In my rear view I could see an aggressive driver going in and out of traffic thinking he was in a fast and furious flick. He got up to me on my right and lately I get sick and tired of being cut off so I sped up a bit so he didn't have room but sure enough he tried to cut off guy in front of me swerving in and out and wouldn't ya know lights and sirens came on guy in front and pulled over mr aggressive=winning!

12. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

Don't be afraid! If you drive mainly clean, there's no need to worry if you sometimes touch an opponent. The occasional touch will get cancelled out by the overall clean driving.
    I'm not sure if the Safety rating is already implemented correctly, as from what I know the Safety rating still shouldn't be working in multiplayer mode (unless this has been changed recently).

I wouldn't worry too much about it if you're mainly a clean driver.

OrganDonor likes this.
  13. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

My experience is that if you are well up beside AI, the behave really well, even if there is some contact.

But if you are well ahead, with even what appears to be inches ahead, and you turn in, they will contact and keep pushing as posted here.

Again, its strange that they can be bumped, or they can bump you, and they will try to back off, but if you are almost completely ahead, you have to leave them room.

In conclusion, I do have a lot of fun with AI, a lot of what I want to blame AI for, is really my fault,... except the above mentioned issue.

But can be frustrating, especially with the current rolling starts, and lack of virtual start lights, and AI's milli second response.

OrganDonor and Reinart86 like this.
  14. Turk

Turk Alien

The Ai does seam oblivious to the fact it's been in an accident. Accidents happen but the AI just wants to leave the scene ASAP even if they're T-boned into your car and are pushing you down the track. It does make some accidents much worse than they could be.

Pheebau, OrganDonor and Reinart86 like this.
  15. mms

mms Alien

The problem is not during the braking, it's when the AI starts to accelerate, it does that no matter if you're blocking the way or not.
    And it does not matter if it's your fault or not, in some instances if you're in the way of the AI they just push their way through. As I already mentioned in another thread, this happens to me once in 2-3 races, I can record videos if you guys want it...

bgil66, OrganDonor and Reinart86 like this.
  16. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Right, there you have a point for sure.

Don't care about SA atm, there is something wrong and I'm on the way to fix it.

sissydriver likes this.
  17. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Simracer

Yeah it's tho only thing that needs fixing i think with the AI once you get into an accident with one they need to just back off and stop pushing you down the track its that simple. Weather its your fault or not they just don,t stop pushing it's really frustrating.

OrganDonor, Reinart86, mms and 2 others like this.
  18. Max Doubt

Max Doubt Racer

Just wondering, do you often speed up to close gaps then blame the other driver for the resulting danger because you were obeying the limit and they weren't?

19. bgil66

bgil66 Alien

Yes I blame the punks driving like idiots and I was well within limit when sped up a bit.

Reinart86 and sissydriver like this.
  20. GT Me

GT Me Gamer

Especially T1 at Monza, after the formation lap, a quarter of my races end with the AI lunging into me even though I am ahead.

The most irritating thing, as well as unrealistic, is that, once contact occurs, all of the AI cars behind me continue to accelerate and push the car along the track as if they are completely oblivious.

Observe the green Ferrari -
    20190310_123016.jpg

20190310_123021.jpg

20190310_123026.jpg
    After this incident, the rest of the AI cars behind continued to smash into and push my car along the track, still accelerating.

21. Adastros

Adastros Racer

This is like playing Detroit become human again !:p

this situation never happened to me, maybe it is necessary to allow the AI to cut the turn to avoid the contact in the 1st corner? But yes I agree that it was not respectful and the result would be very likely to be the same against humans

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019