1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties.
    Dismiss Notice

Devs please fix the AI in the Misano wet sprint race event.

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by fabT, Oct 13, 2018.

1. fabT

fabT Hardcore Simmer

I'm going to write about some major issues with AI in the sprint race event, i'll do in a polite and constructive manner ( hope anybody commenting further will do the same ).

The (wet) Sprint Race event at Misano is a bit of a mess currently, as there are many issues with AI.

First big problem is AI overall aggressivity, i think it should be toned down.
    It took me 12 attempts to see the finish, 11 times in a row i was put out by AI within 4-5 laps, usually by ramming and spinning me from behind.
    All this despite me being as cautious as possible, so much boils to luck.

Examples ?

A single time got to the end and got a 5th place final.

Second big problem is AI can't actually stay up to pace in a few turns.
    This is especially true for the last turn, AI cars brake too much there.
    That's a problem because it's easily exploitable by the player and is dangerous because AI it's definetely too slow there.

Third big problem is ... Mr. Loggie.
    This AI guy drives the second Bentley and uses to start from 5th place, if i recall correctly.
    He's totally unable to keep the pace of other AI, i think he laps about 3-4 second slower than the rest of the pack, so he splits it in two. Curiously other AI cars seem having problems getting past him.

By looking at the replay i noticed Mr. Loggie usually slows down to about 70kph before the last turn, wehereas the other AI slow down to say 100-110 kph.

That's not the only spot where he slows down horribly, so that's the only guy i managed to rear-end 2 times within a single race ( the one i did complete ). Here's what happened ...

So be cautious when you meet him :rolleyes:

---

I reckon AI is a difficult matter, but please devs (at least) take a look at the last turn issue and teach Loggie how to drive a tad better or trash his driving license :D

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    Poguinhas, dvo, 2Lame2Aime and 7 others like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC General Discussions please devs can you add trackir if not ive waisted thousands of dollars Sep 21, 2018
    Console Lounge Devs, please rewrite the game pad code the right way! Aug 27, 2016
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Devs, please do something about the trolls May 14, 2016
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Devs, please listen! Mouse look needed! Apr 19, 2016
    Suggestions Ac devs please read Mar 19, 2015
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Acs.exe crash! logs attached, help please devs! Nov 13, 2014
    Tracks modding Please don't contact devs for nKpro conversions Jun 15, 2014
    General modding discussion Little explanation from devs... please Jun 12, 2014
    ACC Troubleshooting game crash - for the DEVs Oct 15, 2018
    Console Lounge Devs online PS4 Jul 27, 2017
    Console Lounge How to get a proper third person view and a request to the devs Jul 18, 2017
    Chit Chat Room @Devs, locking threads Feb 20, 2017
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Devs - what's the logic behind the G920 default preset? Jan 6, 2017
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Question to DEVs, DD wheels support Dec 28, 2016
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Question to the devs about "GYRO" Dec 5, 2016

3. liakjim

liakjim Alien

Ai is also broken in nurbgring when wet (heavy rain and storm) , where all ai cars brake at the middle of the short straight between turns 5 and 6 with no reason.

Στάλθηκε από το m2 note μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

fabT likes this.
  4. Typer

Typer Racer

That yellow Ferrari is definitely ****ing with you. Did you sleep with his wife or something?

Yeah, looks like some work needs doing, good job on taking the time to post the videos.

sissydriver and fabT like this.
  5. Rehooja

Rehooja Racer

Yeah the AI really doesn't care much about avoiding collisions. They ram you the instant you are off your racing line. I done about 20 races so far so I learned the hard way how the AI behaves in every turn and where I need to be so that I don't die :'D

That Mr. Loggie really surprises me in that video. As if he's trying to park the car into that turn :D

Bet Kunos will make the AI better along the updates. Soon as multiplayer is here that's all I'll be playing besides practice :)

fabT likes this.
  6. mms

mms Alien

@fabT you pretty much summed up what I don't like with the AI, thanks for taking the time putting all together. Hopefully they'll fix these issues soon enough.

sissydriver and fabT like this.
  7. fabT

fabT Hardcore Simmer

Thanks guy for the endorsement, hopefully devs will consider these issues among others.

Let me further clarify a point.
    Despite the issues shown above the AI in ACC has clearly a very good potential.
    Otherwise i wouldn't waste my time checking / reporting those issues.
    So mine is not a rant, but rather a prayer.

I hope the issues above will be fixed, because there are many things i do like about AI cars, for instance:
    • They have different personality
    • They're brilliant at evading the player when he dive bombs
    • They usually manage to keep good pressure on the player
    Racing AI may be a blast when it works, the only race i got to finish was great ( despite Loggie :( ).
    The problem is now you have probably a 1 vs. 10 chance to enjoy that, because of a few noticeable issues.

Let's hope to have this sorted soon, as with no multiplayer AI matters!

sissydriver and evil_overlord like this.
  8. Rehooja

Rehooja Racer

9. Gopher04

Gopher04 Gamer

I would say the AI awareness needs tweaking a tad, but we don't want to loose abit of body rubbing..

Rehooja likes this.
  10. Rehooja

Rehooja Racer

Rubbin is racing :D

Arlo likes this.
  11. mms

mms Alien

His problem is that he follows team orders, he was told to hold back other drivers so his team-mate can catch up :D:D:D

Rehooja likes this.
  12. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Rookie

Yes. I gave up on this event. They're overly aggressive, blind and too slow in certain parts of the track. It's impossible to pass that Ferrari on the left at the beginning of the race, it will always crash into you.
    In the end, i don't care about a single event but looks like the AI in the wet overall needs to be looked into. They are much better on a quick race in dry conditions.

Collision physics also has to be looked into. A single tap and you go out spinning while they can just continue like nothing happened

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    Rehooja likes this.
  13. Arti

Arti Gamer

Almost the same thing as in Crash #3 happend to me yesterday. I overtook the Ferrari on the straight before and even braked later than him but he still bumbped into me on the inside of the curb (I had two wheels on the curb).

14. Rehooja

Rehooja Racer

Hahaha those crashes look like as if the Ferrari driver doesn't want to be overtaken :D

15. falkeGT

falkeGT Gamer

I also tried the race yesterday. Besides all AI cars were really slow in the last corner, it was quite fun, I ended up P8 and will try again tonight.
    There was an Audi behind me who managed to put pressure up especially the last two laps which felt really great, if there would have been no last corner sleep he might have gotten me again the end.
    I had no stress with the ferrari ai Drivers as seen in the post above.

Where did you guys finish the race? Is it possible to get the Podium?

cheers falke

16. Lawr3der1080

Lawr3der1080 Rookie

The interesting thing is, that some (maybe only one or two of them) ai cars managed to get the last corner very well, but not in every round...

17. fabT

fabT Hardcore Simmer

In order to aim at the podium you need a decent pace and a lot of luck.

It took me 4-5 laps to overtake 14 drivers and it's not easy to safely do it.
    AI cars are not that fast overall, but they're quite careless ( as i wrote above ).

Imho the easiest way to deal with them is to push hard on lap 1 and gain 8-10 positions there, when cars are still "tight".
    On the following laps you may exploit the last turn weakness and pass 1 or 2 cars clean at each lap.

If you manage to get past Loggie ( usually 5th ) by lap 4 or 5 then you'll have plenty of clean road in front.
    You'll have to push from there to end, probably doing 1:38-1:39 average in order to catch with the 4 cars leading.
    It's nothing groundbreaking, but challenging for very average drivers (like me).

At least that's what i suppose.
    With an average pace of 1:40 (in the second half of the race) i ended 5th, leading on Loggie by some 15 seconds (!).
    Yet i was about 10 seconds beind the leading 4 group.

Obviously each race is different, so your mileage may vary.

Have a nice challenge, wish you (alot of) luck.
    You need it.

18. mms

mms Alien

Yeah, I did once finish 3rd and the last time I almost got the second place, but with one lap to go an AI magically started to get way faster than he did before and passed me, not without a contact and a spin for me.

But as you said, luck is needed, most times the first 3 cars are way faster than the rest of the pack, no chance to catch them (unless you're an alien of course).

19. fabT

fabT Hardcore Simmer

Sounds good and relevant to above issues, will check.

20. Mr.Mugel

Mr.Mugel Alien

Crash #1 and #2 are pretty obviously on account of that Ferrari, but looking at #3 I can't see what the Audi should have done to avoid the crash after you cut his line. In my opinion you were a bit late for blocking him.
    I guess this als be considered a race incident without blaming you or the AI driver specifically.

I had a lot of crashes with the AI when I tried the Special Event, but most were caused by myself for switching lines recklessly (like that #3), or not seeing an opponent or braking too late...

I also agree that the AI is very promising so far, the cars behind me managed to put me under pressure like I've never experienced it in a game / sim. Of course, they still have some issues I won 't deny, but I have tasks high hours for this!

21. Gopher04

Gopher04 Gamer

Done this race couple times last night and the same thing happened to me for a few starts, and with the same cars, especially the Ferrari at the start, no matter what line I took it just t-boned me out the way..

Also is anyone finding this particular race the AI are bloody fast, stupidly fast to be honest?

evil_overlord likes this.