1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Generic Devs, please rewrite the game pad code the right way!

Discussion in 'Console Lounge' started by Monkey-CH, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Monkey-CH

Monkey-CH Gamer

The game pad support of this game is absolutly bad actually. AC does the same error as any other PC simulation, where they try to simulate the steering wheel 1:1 on a game pad. This can, does and will never work on a gamepad. Serioulsy the game pad steering shoud be reprogrammed and be completly separatly form the steering wheel code.

Forza or GT have perfect game pad support out of the box and there is no settings or such thing needed to get a good handling with a game pad. Both do a very good job here. Play this games to understand what we console game pad players want to see in AC too.

Every PC Simualtion who tries to simulate the wheel steering on a pad has failed as now AC too. The proof that a simulation can be played very well with a game pad is Forza and GT, so take a look at them!

AC is no fun actually to be played with game pad! :(

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    giulianbu, Dam351 and SublimedNine like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Devs - Crossplay PLEASE! Sep 12, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions CPU boost drops. Please help, Devs? Experts? Sep 8, 2022
    ACC Physics Please Devs fix the contact system, it's getting more and more frustrating to race like this Jul 6, 2022
    ACC Gameplay Devs please fix the AI in the Misano wet sprint race event. Oct 13, 2018
    ACC General Discussions please devs can you add trackir if not ive waisted thousands of dollars Sep 21, 2018
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Devs, please do something about the trolls May 14, 2016
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Devs, please listen! Mouse look needed! Apr 19, 2016
    Suggestions Ac devs please read Mar 19, 2015
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Acs.exe crash! logs attached, help please devs! Nov 13, 2014
    Tracks modding Please don't contact devs for nKpro conversions Jun 15, 2014
    General modding discussion Little explanation from devs... please Jun 12, 2014
    ACC Gameplay A request to the devs regarding AI… May 24, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Still no FOV and total lack of communication from devs. Jan 27, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting When will the devs fix the GT4 DLC price on Argentina? Aug 7, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Request for Devs add AI to Online races Aug 6, 2020

3. Kubr0

Kubr0 Racer

nate and ears1991 like this.
  4. Monkey-CH

Monkey-CH Gamer

No it has nothing directly to do with your link. The game pad code can't work well if it tries to silmulate a steering wheel and all other PC Games which try to do the same, have this problems. Console only racing games as Forza and GT have very good game pad steering, but all PC games are failing here. So what does Forza and GT different? They use special steereing code for playing with gamepad and don't try to simulate a steereing wheel.

The fact, that the visual steering wheel behaves strange in cockpit view isn't what I mean. I fully agree with your other post, but this is a different issue.

5. TXC_IJOJOI

TXC_IJOJOI Racer

FORZA and GT put horrible filtering above the inputs to make it as easy as possible for "everyone" to enjoy.
    These filters allow you to even go full lock - no lock - full lock and make a corner smoothly, but this is not GT, not FORZA.
    This would be CHEATING, but that's not the goal here.

AC, like pCars (I assume you mean that with "other PC Simulation") don't use that kind of filtering to allow you full control.
    You have to learn this new form of inputs ofcourse, but once you've mastered it, it's way more precise than the other system.

LeDude83 and Kwisatz Haderach like this.
  6. Kubr0

Kubr0 Racer

played more then 400 hours on a xbox 1 gamepad on PC, no need to explain, I know whats up ...

ears1991 likes this.
  7. Keisuke

Keisuke Gamer

Forza is actually bad on a gamepad, no matter what you do theres always deadzones in the controller, I think the only thing AC needs to do is allow you to reduce the rotation to like 360 or 270 for controller.

8. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

I think its about steering linearity when at speed, so that the faster you go, the less sensitive the pad should be to inputs, or rather the steering ratio should be dynamic, so that as you gain speed, the steering ratio becomes reduced. As a former pad gamer on PC I think I understand what the guy is on about.

9. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

I cannot agree at all with your thread. The gamepad implementation in Assetto Corsa is to me one of the very best I've ever experienced, on a similar level to titles like GTR2 and so on. Meanwhile I've had major difficulties setting up ProjectCARS for example, the gamepad implementation there is an absolute mess in my mind.

Since this is posted in the console lounge I presume you play on one of the consoles, but I've seen that the settings to adjust steering are pretty much the exact same there (in the console options under Advanced). All I can do is recommend you to take a look at these settings: speed sensitivity ~80%, steering speed 100%, gamma 2.0, filter ~ 0.8, deadzone of course according to your controller (maybe 0.10) - then spend some time with it. Assuming you know how to drive (racing line, entry speeds, etc.) and once you know the car and track this might be more natural to you. Of course everyone has different preferences, but it's worth a try. Really can't follow your criticism though.

10. gregack

gregack Racer

Forza or GT have perfect game pad support out of the box and there is no settings or such thing needed to get a good handling with a game pad. Both do a very good job here. Play this games to understand what we console game pad players want to see in AC too.

But Forza doesn't have good wheel-support.;)

AC with controller will always be a compromise because: IT. IS. A. SIM.
    Sorry if you are disappointed but that's how it is.

11. aphidgod

aphidgod Alien

I've been playing AC with a pad since 1.0 release day. It works just fine. Absolutely, perfectly fine.

Padders33 likes this.
  12. Gabrien

Gabrien Rookie

There is no problem at all with the controller code in AC. In fact, it's the most flexible and malleable I have encountered. You can have the steering feel like Forza if you want to, or anything else you might prefer, *if you know what you are doing*. And therein lies the rub: the problem is that the game does literally nothing to explain these settings to the player. If one tenth of effort spent on the driving model was afforded to presentation, accessibility, and technical soundness, this really would be something special.

Padders33 likes this.
  13. hman

hman Gamer

I play on pc, and the game pad support in this game is actually really good. While not for everyone, I personally love the default steering settings. It is responsive enough for me to make quick adjustments, and smooth enough to keep the car stable while turning. Here is a video of me driving.

Epistolarius, nate and gregack like this.
  14. BearNVa

BearNVa Gamer

is that with Gamepad? I haven't gotten my game yet but I'm hoping it handles and drives like that with a controller

15. hman

hman Gamer

Its with a xbox controller. Don't expect to be as smooth as I am in that video because it took a lot of time and practice to get to that point. Expect something more like this after a few days.

16. Minkyrich

Minkyrich Rookie

All of these controller settings are for Xbox one game pad on the pc, does anyone have a decent setup for the console because options are different .

talby71 likes this.
  17. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

The settings are the same as far as I can see, the exact same five settings for steering are present on PC too. Lack of button binding with pre-defined layouts instead seems to be the only difference.

18. Minkyrich

Minkyrich Rookie

From the other posts ive seen the values are different, for example the gamma on Xbox one goes from 100% to 400 % but on pc its in tenths ie 0.8 etc so I can't use them. Also the trigger is super sensitive, you only have to move it slightly and its wheelspin tastic, doesn't seem to be very linear.

19. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

On PC (in-game, without any file editing) speed sensitivity goes from 0-100%, steering speed 1-100%, Gamma 1.0-4.0 (equalling 100-400%), Filter 0.1-1.0, deadzone 0-0.45, rumble intensity from 0-100%. That appear to be the exact same settings as on console, with slightly different names and in different order.

20. Monkey-CH

Monkey-CH Gamer

Why are the PC gamers posting into this thread at all? :mad: PLEASE STAY AWAY, IF YOU ARE A PC GAMER!!!!! You are no help here!

We are talking about console gampad steereing (specially for XB One) and here is something right wrong actually and it is NOT the same as on the PC. On the ONE it behaves totaly different than the PC version of the game and also differently to the PS4 Verison.

Also the setting can get corrupted someway and after that the gampad is overs sesible and not anymore playable. If this happens, there is no way to correct that with changing the values at all. I have a solution found for me, but this seems not to work for everyone. After I did a reset of the steering mode to wheel and back to pad, it's now again much better working than before I have done this. This switch of the controller mode does reset the pad settings and has solved the issue for me more or less. I will now never ever again touch the settings there until it is fixed.

Somting is seriously broken here on the pad settings on the ONE (and the PS4?) and the Devs should look into it.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    talby71 likes this.
  21. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Get your attitude in check.

hman likes this.