1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Dirt Rally 2.0?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Andrew_WOT, Sep 24, 2018.

1. plaid

plaid Alien

Looks nice.

What always fascinating is how natural DX9 games can look compared to newer titles regarding lighting and sharpness/cearity. Also it got more depth. Thats at least my perception. DR and ACC look both kinda artificial and 2d-y imo for example.
    R3e and IR both profit to some extent from having not so many effects.
    RE2 Remake is a great looking game, but it got the usual downsides.

With google you should find all there is on racedepartment or the official-, steam- or fan- forum for the game , usually. Otherwise there isn't better advice.

For DR1 there are various threads and especially the Impact 7 mod with instructions/settings, for example on steam.

2. TTM

TTM Alien

I don't know how to say this, but "tihs" continues with DR2.0. I and probably all other deluxe version owners didn't get Skoda Fabia or Citroen C4 today, but we can buy them 1,99€ per car. :p Sorry, but i have lost all my hope to Codemasters....

3. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

Interesting handling (not in a bad way;)) but, the FFB is truly lacking in a big way with the OSW. I haven't tried it with the AccuForce yet but, I've heard it's much better with SC4-FFB. I know SimX is having problems making a proper plug-in for the tactile effects and is waiting on CM to help them solve some com-issues. Hopefully, CM figures out what's wrong soon and I don't end up regretting my purchase but, it should be entertaining based on my early session. The D-box seems to work well, so that's a positive.

Andrew_WOT likes this.
  4. I still cannot see how the FFB can be bad with OSW. Today I also changed my wheel rim which required a bit of FFB adjustment but the result were just as good if not even better than with the smaller rim. :eek:

And where were those moanings when DR1 released because that was a disastrous FFB implementation? :D

All I have done is:
    -Limited max force from MMOS to 40%
    -Added 36% non-filtered damping
    -Lowered Self-Aligning Forces to 90%

With smaller rim 32% max force, 40% damping and default SAT.

5. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

Sure, the basic forces are present but, there is no bump detail, sense of grip-loss, sense of torque-steer (FWD/AWD). No sense of rut effects, mud, water affect - nothing, just fundamental SAT and large suspension movement. Dirt Rally provided way more detail but, the game-FFB still lacked some things that SimCommander managed to provide. SC4-FFB improved torque-steer effects and sense of surface transition and contour changes very effectively in DR. I recall being perplexed as to why SC4 could produce such FFB using telemetry while the game FFB could not. I don't know how it will work in DR2 but, I'll give it a try when I have some time to change steering systems.

Mika from GD has expressed some issues with CM titles & SimuCube in general before. I don't know if there is something going on with direct-input effects not working or what but, other users also report a complete lack of detail with DR2.

Andrew_WOT and Nahkamarakatti like this.
  6. Isn't many of these physics based issues instead of FFB? For example I'm very surprised if DR2 physics takes different lenght drive shafts into account.

Suspension movements comes through very well. No "road texture" but that isn't something you would expect from heavily assisted rally car steering either.

7. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

Possibly due to physics but, I've read posts by some using other wheels say that they can feel ruts affecting the steering. I do prefer some bump detail in the FFB, not much really but, subtle detail. My wheel is mounted separate from my race-rig so I don't get any residual benefits from the motion system into the steering-system like we do in a real car but, I like to have that symmetry in feedback where one system supports the other. It's similar to why I feel ACC-FFB needs a couple more effect options but, I guess I'm a "more is better" kind of guy anyway. :p:D

8. I can feel some of the ruts but not every one of them. Not sure if every "visible" rut is actually a rut. Also the steering with FWD cars do follow even the slightest road cambers. Many of the "effects" are quite gentle though. Haven't tried if raising Suspension slider would work. Mostly because I don't feel the need to. :)

For me the FFB provides everything I need but nothing that distract.

Edit: It's funny actually that AC1 is currently the only title that is screaming for more FFB details... :D

Once again I was struggling to get used to the dead wheel mid-corner.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  9. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Really befuddled by above comments on both titles. :confused:

10. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/178-dirty-gossip-thread/?page=1310&tab=comments#comment-408336

[​IMG]

So... no FFB update. :confused:

I've gotten kind of used to the FFB. But it's weird that you for example don't get any FFB vibration, when completely locking brakes on tarmac. That applies to all tyre slip, but that's the most notable situation where I would expect to feel something.

Maybe placebo, but I've set my wheel at 540 degrees in Windows, and then calibrating in-game based on that, the wheel feels less "dead" in some of the cars. I know the correct method would be using max DOR and then calibrating, would get the real DOR (900, 720, 540) per car. But I feel that some of the older cars (such as group B and Historic RWDs, which are my favourites anyway) feel better this way

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  11. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

I tested Dirt Rally2 FFB last night using the AccuForce and - as expected, the detail effects are indeed present in the telemetry FFB. It works much the same as Dirt Rally did but, I have some more testing to do as SimXperience has a couple of new effects that I haven't played with yet. Overall, the FFB is so much better when the bumps are there imo, and the forces for torque-steer and surface-transitions now make sense. The FFB now matches the motion-effects so the results are proving that the data from the physics is there, just as it was in Dirt Rally. And maybe better, because SimX said they still don't have all possible effects working with the plugin; they are waiting on a fix from Codies to address a couple of things before it's working 100%. SimX said there is more data in the telemetry to utilize so, that's a positive sign imo.

So with that information in hand, I feel like there is a fair chance that the FFB will be improved with other wheels in time. I have more testing to do to see how the game-FFB that we currently have compares to SC4-FFB or, if a combination of both types of feedback works even better. I feel a bit better about DR2 now that my fear of the "Less FFB is More" movement striking DR2 appears to have been a false alarm in this case. :p:D

12. So.. ..DR2 got an update and my wheel isn't recognized anymore. Good old Codies...

[​IMG]

13. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

Not surprising at all. They probably overwrite the hardware config file & more with every update. I had the same issue with Dirt4 too.

14. Raklödder

Raklödder Simracer

It took CM one month to come up with that sorry excuse of a "patch" and they didn't even bother to tweak the ffb or remove the always online drm?

I was going to give the game another chance, but now that they've showed their hand and monetary priorities, it's time for me to close the book for good.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  15. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Yep, crappy update. Took them a month to come up with this, and nothing about FFB.

Also nothing about the stupidly forgiving "hardcore" damage. And still can't select transmission type by car, like in Dirt Rally 1 (lot of people requested adding it back... nope). So that you could use paddles for sequential cars. Driving rallycross with H-shifter and clutch is silly, apparently Codemasters doesn't have H-shifters at the office

16. plaid

plaid Alien

Waiting Till the sucessor is announced and playing virtua fighter 4 evo instead.
    At that Time you will get Double the polish for half the Price.
    But im rather optimistic.

TDS likes this.
  17. TDS

TDS Alien

Tested, and realized again how spoiled by ac and acc ffb/physics i am...

Not reinstalling.

ffb and physics for me are the real game changers or breakers nowadays, because with bad physics and ffb i personally cant enjoy a racing game this days.

jaxx_za likes this.
  18. jaxx_za

jaxx_za Hardcore Simmer

Same here - have less than 4 hours on PC2 for this very reason (though I know some find the ffb/physics pretty good).

What surprises me is that Jimmy Broadbent rated both physics and ffb pretty decent (with the exception of the tarmac physics) in his 'will this replace RBR' video, which promoted me to buy.

I haven't installed as yet as I was waiting for VR, but after seeing the feedback here I'm not so optimistic anymore. Guess I'll be waiting for more community feedback in future before deciding on a title.

Back to RBR I guess.

TDS likes this.
  19. I rate too.

I suggest to give it a fair change take some time to fiddle the FOV to feel natural because that has quite an impact to how you feel the game. Honestly, driving RBR because of physics isn't even funny argument anymore. Even DR2 physics aren't perfect (especially on tarmac, still) the physics are still lightyears ahead of modded RBR. Same goes to FFB. Gosh, even R2 cars feels good to drive in DR2 where in RBR for example, every 2WD car feels more or less wrong. And it's not just the 2WD stuff but the differential modelling is just so much better in general in DR2. Ironically both games shares the same physics trouble: tarmac. More accurately, how the tyres work on a smooth surface. The "basic stuff" that is on a very good level no matter what circuit focused sim you choose.

The only thing that is better in RBR is the moddability.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  20. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Yeah I wouldn't write the game off as bad sim. Physics are miles ahead Dirt Rally 1, notably better on tarmac too (while Dirt Rally tarmac was so bad, that it isn't really saying much). On gravel it's day and night difference. The FFB isn't intolerably bad, the information it lacks is mostly immersion thing (gravel doesn't rattle at all, tyre slip doesn't vibrate the wheel). The information that is required to be fast is there. Codemasters is apparently still working on FFB, and may update it later

There's some other crappy stuff like online only and DLC scheme, but if you can overlook that, it's worth the money I'd say. I don't regret purchasing it, like I did with Dirt 4. FFB is meh, but not that terrible that I couldn't enjoy the game, the key elements are right. Dirt 4 probably had better FFB, but this game is soooo much more enjoyable than Dirt 4 was, due to the physics

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Nahkamarakatti likes this.