1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Discussing Driving Position and Ergonomics

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by SharpeXB, Feb 20, 2022.

1. SharpeXB

SharpeXB Gamer

What is the best position for a wheel? I’ve heard wrist length of an extended arm, or maybe that’s for a regular road car. I know racing wheels are set closer. I recently got a severe case of tendinitis in my shoulder from weight training followed by long sim racing sessions. It’s embarrassing to admit that I hurt myself playing video games Going forward I should make sure I have this set correctly.

Cascader likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC General Discussions Discussing Driving Views Apr 8, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Discussing AI (no reports) Mar 20, 2021
    ACC General Discussions Discussing AC vs. ACC Aug 24, 2020
    ACC Physics Discussing the BMW M6 GT3 Jul 28, 2020
    ACC General Discussions Discussing GT4 in ACC Jul 21, 2020
    ACC General Discussions Discussing MP Mixed-Class Racing - GT3/GT4 Jul 9, 2020
    ACC General Discussions Discussing Release 1.3.1x Apr 15, 2020
    ACC General Discussions Who's at Fault? - Discussing Racecraft and Incidents Jan 15, 2020
    ACC Hardware Discussions Discussing hardware, rigs and performance [CONTROLLER REPORTS IN THE CONTROLS SECTION PLEASE] Nov 1, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Discussing Unreal Sep 13, 2018
    ACC General Discussions Discussing ACC Safety rating Feb 6, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Discussing Real-Life Motorsports - 2019 - 20 - 21 - 22 - 23 - 24 Dec 28, 2018
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds All AI cars on all tracks are driving 50 mph during race! Jan 14, 2024
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds cant get my standard Interior driving view Nov 15, 2023
    Chit Chat Room Your personal Driving Coach Oct 6, 2023

3. I guess a lot can be written here with theoretical information and lessons, but instead I will tell you how I managed the best position for myself.
    I was also trying different positions and variants and aways there were no perfect.

So I decided to go "real". Found a good photo of real gt3 car with pilot sitting inside. I "measured" the distances and angles, and replicated it as close as possible on my rig. Initially it felt a bit strange, but very quickly I get used to it, and now I feel very comfortable and dont get pain or something after playing.

If your rig allow you enough adjustability, try this approach :)

p.s. later i will try to find the photo i used.

4. anthonylroy

anthonylroy Hardcore Simmer

5. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

6. Nuu

Nuu Gamer

The most important aspect is to have a comfortable and relaxed position imo.
    All links above show a pretty good baseline.
    However I found that 3cm here, a little different angle there can make quite a difference for being comfy.

Another aspect is your grip on the wheel. Underrepresented topic.
    Many strains and bad driving come from being too tense there. Should also be relaxed.

Relax should be the word of the year anyway if I look at peoples attitudes ;-)

7. Turk

Turk Alien

I got a shoulder injury from a combination of a wheel that had no FFB and mouse shoulder where I'd been holding my right arm over the mouse, not resting the palm on the table or anything for 20 years. I'm now using weight training to fix it.

I see this image online a lot. It's probably covered better in the boostedmedia video Anthonylroy posted.

[​IMG]

RafaRace and Mogster like this.
  8. WallyM

WallyM Alien

My biggest issue is with ankle soreness from a very stiff brake pedal. I was left foot braking, keeping my heel on the heel rest and flexing my ankle to brake with the ball of my foot. I gather that's not the best - perhaps it's better to keep your ankle fairly static and push with your whole leg (without flexing the ankle much)?

9. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

"Race beyond matter" (might be miss-spelled) has a video about the optimum setup. I've set my pedals up as hanging or inverted and that has improved my braking a lot and also made it less painful for the knees.
    I use the SRP pedals. https://www.simracing-pro.com/

10. I suspect that I actually damaged my back muscles in 2009 from too much online racing. I remember doing a few 2 hour endurance races, and the muscles were really aching by the time that I completed them. Subsequent to that, I experienced strange symptoms where my back muscles would feel like they were on fire maybe 20 minutes after eating every meal. This lasted for over two months, and it was extremely uncomfortable. I had to stop racing completely at that time, and I have not done an endurance race since!

11. Turk

Turk Alien

I would guess yes. You'd be moving the work to your bigger muscle groups. You should avoid making joints do the work.

WallyM and AndyK70 like this.
  12. AndyK70

AndyK70 Alien

Yes! Do not brake using your ankle, especially when you have a load cell brake.
    Always brake using your thigh muscles and keep your ankle stiff.

Look at Post #3 in this thread and the video by Boosted Media: "How to set up seating position correctly"
    at 2:11 he starts talking about the pedals, how far they should be away, how your legs should not be full straight when pushing a pedal to the max and how to apply brake pressure (which muscles to use)

Tundra and WallyM like this.
  13. Mattze

Mattze Gamer

Wonder why the monitor is placed behind the wheelbase at this image. I've read that the monitor should be as close to your wheel as possible. This makes sense, since you get a more natural FOV (especially with an ultra-wide screen).

AndyK70 likes this.
  14. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

upload_2022-2-26_16-5-21.png

Mattze likes this.
  15. I would not want the wheel pressed up against the monitor. Mine is about two feet away.

16. [​IMG]
    I aimed to get the screen right up to the back of my wheelbase. Ideally it could be closer but Id also have to move it up wich would be no bueno.

Right now the MOTEC display lines up perfectly behind the wheel (with correct FOV) at around the same distance it would be irl.

Point of View
    [​IMG]

Feels pretty solid.

17. Jason PLAdoh

Jason PLAdoh Rookie

Do GT3 Cars have a fixed wheel position per car, ie distance to dash, vertical Angle, Height etc? if so, we could do with this data to replicate it in those rigs that can.

jat

J

18. Mattze

Mattze Gamer

I was talking to a friend about the monitor topic, in particular about curved screens, a few days ago. He made a valid point as he said that most of the curved screens have their optimal viewing distance at 1.5 to 3 meters in order to match the natural curvature of your FOV. However, this conflicts with getting the screen as close to your wheel as possible. What would you prefer? Ignoring the curvature radius and bringing the screen closer or sticking to the recommended distance?

19. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

Bringing the screen closer for sure. I have my 32" curved screen about 52cm from my face.

Also, you don't sit 1.5 to 3m from your windscreen when you're driving your car.

romandevision and AndyK70 like this.
  20. Rebel_488

Rebel_488 Racer

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  21. Tundra

Tundra Hardcore Simmer

I love how the put that pedal plate downwards, after buying vertical load cells pedals I find myself looking for a similar solution, and all my simracing partners strongly disagree lol