1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Discussing Driving Views

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Diablo_rf, Apr 8, 2019.

?

What type of camera view are you using?

1. Interior

92.5%
  2. Exterior

3.6%
  3. I use both, depending of the situation

3.9%
  1. Strawberry

Strawberry Racer

Why do you care so much about winning though? Are you gonna gonna get a prize, or are you one of these guys in the top 25 that stands to make some money from it? If it's for the feeling of accomplishment and achievement, will it really make you feel accomplished if you won by using a camera view that you deem illegitimate while the other 19 guys in your race were in the cockpit? (Your poll shows 95% use cockpit view).

My point is that the vast majority race to experience close clean racing with others at their level, and also to improve and get faster over time. To that end, everyone should use the view, car, equipment, etc that is most comfortable for you. Ultimately, the more enjoyable it is, the more you're going to practice and the faster you're going to be. That's gonna make a lot more difference than whatever fractions of a second you perceive being able to gain from an external view.

2. fnegroni

fnegroni Racer

True, except there is one problem.
    In cockpit view, you have to use wipers to see. Not so in the other views.
    Heck, in iRacing that’s why they force everyone into cockpit view: dirt build up management does add another level of skill. I had to remember not to remove the tear off visor too soon from my helmet tonight otherwise I would have had trouble seeing the road.

3. Default

Default Racer

IMO higher fps is a bigger difference in performance compared to view choice. The difference of 60 fps vs 144 fps or higher is huge in terms of input lag.

It may not make you faster over 1 lap but over a long stint it really helps with consistency and also makes catching slides easier. If you're performance focused and choose graphics over fps you're doing it wrong.

nangu and dek like this.
  4. Diablo_rf

Diablo_rf Hardcore Simmer

Yeah, I can agree with you about this. While I never tried it, but some of faster drivers also tend to lower the graphics to minimum, to get as much fps as possible.
    This is something that is more fair on console tho, everyone has 60fps locked. So no advantage on this matter.

5. Diablo_rf

Diablo_rf Hardcore Simmer

Competition
    noun
    The activity or condition of striving to gain or win something by defeating or establishing superiority over others.

Wining is not only about the prize, is the main point of racing, as in any other competition ;)
    I guess everyone has it's own point about this. Some are racing just for the sake of driving, some for fun, some for wining, there is no point arguing about that...
    I'm racing with the main focus to win, that's my goal when I compete in a race, and I try to use anything that helps me to accomplish that, because if you are not trying to win in a competition, what's then the point of competing?:)

6. dek

dek Racer

I hope it gets better with 1.0 because it's huge even with lower settings. Don't have any with the other competitors. That's the only thing I can complain about.

7. tazza1986

tazza1986 Gamer

Dashboard only. I can already see the steering wheel in my hands.

Inviato dal mio EML-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

8. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

I use only helmet cam modified (closer, no helmet)
    20190423134833.png 20190425101721.png

9. cr4wl3r0

cr4wl3r0 Racer

Hi,
    I always use inside because I want the "simulation factor" and IMHO driving in external view is Gamish....
    Speaking about ACC i often switch to dashcam (modified to be very similar to the regular inside view) because there is more driving feel, but I can' t explain the reason why.
    I use external views for replays only.

10. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

This is a car racing simulator, with drivers sitting on the seats of the car, not sitting on the hood of the car.

If someone can produce a video of a RL race, with RL cars, with the driver sitting on the hood of the car, please show us that simulator.

11. Luis Branco

Luis Branco Alien

Challenge accepted :D

dajdosta, Deyu, Freddie Seng and 7 others like this.
  12. fnegroni

fnegroni Racer

I know what you mean, I'm with you, but I've seen professional rally driver playing Dirt Rally (1 and 2) using hood cam because they are faster that way, and their FOV is all wrong but they obviously kick *** anyway.

13. th3o

th3o Hardcore Simmer

I am mostly using hood cam, not because of an advantage but because i can see more of the beauty of the game, i can enjoy graphics, weather effects etc much more than in a sorta obstructed cockpit. I am using however cockpit view in normal street cars in AC 1 for example. I am not planning to use ACC mainly as an online racing experience so you guys who fear that i might have an advantage: don't, i probably will play 90% offline :)
    However i think that there should be the possibility for admins to allow only cockpit view. Depending how serious the server is taking itself there should be more strict but also more loose regulations.
    For official Kunos events i suggest there should be definitely only cockpit cam allowed. After all, this is no Gran Turismo Sport.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    PiretSS2000 and chksix like this.
  14. plaid

plaid Alien

Hood view offers more visibility and feels quite a bit faster, especially with many cars having a fat a-pillar and those awful stickers cover half the windscreen, in case of the blancpain not even transparent...ugh. Cockpitview obiviously offers the only really immersive perspective, also cause of the dials and mirrors.
    Dashcam or a similiar zoomed in cockpitview can be a good compromise, while you probably need the hud and virtual mirrors. Only problem is some sims dont offer camera locked to horizon - which is awful.

Who f**** cares?!

PiretSS2000 likes this.
  15. Vel

Vel Simracer

Cockpit view during all situations except for rain.

Hood/roof cam when when driving with rain, as it is very immersive and wonderfully challenging. However, in the rain the window wipers are rather visually irritating. Not quite headache inducing, but uncomfortable and somehow very distracting.

16. D.Jankovic

D.Jankovic Alien

Just watched F1 2019 video of Wet gameplay and they are even doing effects of water in other camera anlges

Every camera should have rain effects if you drive at rain..hopefully we will see it in 1.0

Thug and PiretSS2000 like this.
  17. It does not make an iota of difference in my opinion, if your fast your fast from any view you choose. I use the cockpit view with the proper fov settings for my setup, but I have seen crazy fast guys change from one view to the next, and there just as fast no matter what they use.

18. f.e.negroni

f.e.negroni Racer

Could ACC simulate the effect of having wipers on other views too perhaps? It would make it more fair.

19. I use cockpit view, as I do in all sims. I also couldn't care less what view anybody else uses when they play, so long as it's a camera setting provided by the developers. If they're cleaner and more stable for it, then all the better. They paid their money, let them drive how they like, since they're not cheating.

Freddie Seng and PiretSS2000 like this.
  20. I was watching Jardier race on monza, and he has only played the entire game a time or two. Anyway he played from the cockpit view and was knocking off 147-148 like it was a sunday drive, but I think his preferred view is the bonnet cam. The guy can read and answer chat questions talk about his dog, and still circle the track in 147-148.