1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory.
  2. FOR ASSETTO CORSA COMPETIZIONE: If you report issues with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder!
  3. If your game executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, then run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether.

Discussing Driving Views

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Diablo_rf, Apr 8, 2019.

?

What type of camera view are you using?

1. Interior

92.2%
  2. Exterior

3.4%
  3. I use both, depending of the situation

4.4%
  1. Creegz

Creegz Gamer

I use the exterior views to review stuff so if I am in a collision I'll view it from my POV, theirs and then external from each car if I want to understand what happened better. But I'll drive in either helmet or cockpit view depending on how I feel.

2. Mudguts

Mudguts Rookie

My 2 bob... I have always used bonnet cam as a single screen user, in rFactor and AC. But since ACC with rain and night it's an obvious advantage not being behind the glass. (I race against someone who uses VR, my brain can't handle it for long). So I now use dash cam and move the camera right up so it's just behind the windscreen.

GCCRacer and LeDude83 like this.
  3. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Racer

Something like that Mudguts?

[​IMG]

4. I recently bought VR, on the screen sure only cockpit it the fastest for me but on others I can at least drive, in VR oh boy, you can’t even come close to normal driving in cameras other than cockpit , it sounds stupid but when you think about it is quite a interesting experiment :)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  5. Whitestar

Whitestar Hardcore Simmer

Which one did you get? :)

6. Magnum26

Magnum26 Rookie

Cockpit view with the view of the dash only. Not sure my FOV is right but I like to have the dash appear to sit over my DD.

Maciej Malinowski likes this.
  7. Used rift CV1, considering I use a laptop higher resolution wasn’t really an option

8. michael_

michael_ Simracer

You can't force cockpit view unless everyone is using VR.

Cockpit view if you have a monitor is really just another chase cam - how far it is behind the driver depends how far your monitor is from your steering wheel - the further they are, the further behind
    the virtual driver you are - and if you're behind the virtual driver, well, that's a chase cam.

There's only one steering wheel in the car. You have to put your hands on that to be in the cockpit. To do that you need VR.
    Although you can get reasonably close if your monitor is nearly touching your wheel.

If you look at most professional sims that F1 teams use, they don't draw a cockpit view with a steering wheel on the display. They show the nose cone and front tyres. The cockpit is the physical cockpit of the simulation.

Not sure why you'd force it anyway, it's not slower to drive inside the car. It may be slower for you, of course, but our individual limitations are just anecdotes. It's like asking people to force everyone to drive a blue car because your laps in blue cars are slower.

9. chksix

chksix Simracer

Improving the forward view by looking above the spray in chase cam should be considered cheating.

Guidofoc likes this.
  10. Guidofoc

Guidofoc Alien

The point, as many people said already, is that if you put the camera outside of the car and it rains you get an unfair advantage because you don't have water on the windshield and wipers moving. This is why there should be an option (an option!) for server admins to force internal views in multiplayer, and possibly also on CP servers.

Cockpit/helmet view is more realistic than bonnet or chase cam, even if you adjust it to an unrealistic position. There is a very simple observation about driving POV: everyone wants to have better visibility. In reality though drivers are inside of the cockpit for obvious safety/aerodynamics/cog reasons, so they have to accept the compromise and drive with a helmet on and strapped to a very low seat. They have a limitation in real life, and we should have limitations in the sim, too. Simulating means getting closer to reality, as much as reasonably possible.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  11. th3o

th3o Hardcore Simmer

I use the hood view while playing with Wheel. I know its sacrilege for Simracing but i love the visibility and the fact that i just see more of the game's beautiful graphics, lighting etc.

12. michael_

michael_ Simracer

Well, the post I replied to and quoted said what I quoted from it. Nothing about rain or wipers.

No it isn't. For reasons already given.

13. Guidofoc

Guidofoc Alien

I am sorry, your answers are funny. Are you trying to have an honest conversation on the topic or did you just lay upon us the gift of knowledge?
    1) "Ok but I was just answering the OP, I did not take the time to read the other posts, so my point stays." Er, what?
    2) "No, whatever you said doesn't matter and I won't challenge it with a counter-argument. I am spent."
    Good luck.

GCCRacer and Maciej Malinowski like this.
  14. wait what? Isn't more realistic for what reasons? XD

15. do you know that camera position in cocpit view is not where the screen is but approximately where your head is when you sit in the simrig and corectly mathematically calculated FOV makes distances between objects right size as well as correct distance from you so steering wheel on the screen is shown as a wheel being right in front of you and objects in the distance are shown being as far away as they are from you while the screen itself is one fixed distance from your eye,
    f1 simulator is just the same its just cocpit part is made as a 3d object because being close to yous it the part of what the driver sees that changes its looks by your small head movements, it seeen from tiny different angles and having that part in 3d gives driver so much more connection and understanding of the car movement (wheels are far enought for example not to make a difference), on single screen its all the same just that cocpit is on screen in front of you or at least as much as you can fit in that window, actually if its al set up correctly then your wheel will line up with the virtual one (it resembles part of the cocpit that you actually allredy have as your own 3d object -> therefor there is an option to turn it off, OH WAIT, just like F1 team that we are using in this example needs to turn off the cockpit of the car because they already have it, (also it not olny is there just for that, its just the whole representation of drivers enviorment, his siting positions, all the controlls etc

next one I dont undertand, to put your hands over the steering wheel?, you are and as I explained, your wheel is for example 30cm from you and the virtual one is shown like it is 30cm from you (we are talking here still about mathematically calculated FOV and correctly adjusted siting position) wheel being a 3d obbject should be turned off but it may be there if you want they will allign anyway if you wont move up down left right obviously, camera position is fixed its not moving with your head it makes a bit of difference in perspective but only with close objects, its small difference you are siting in place most of the time anyway,

That being said, I don't care what view people use because being in the car gives IMO the biggest advantage of a car being arround you and better sence arround you, I am still talking about mathematically correct FOV or VR,

Also think about it, VR is
    1. cocpit view with camera placed where the driver head is -> cocpit cam with mathematically correct FOV and siting position has it too CHECKED
    2. cocpit view with high FOV due to small display(made larger by lenses) that is super close to you, its the same mathematical FOV just just calculated for those screens in the headsets at the certain small distance -> cocpit cam with mathematically correct FOV and siting position but smaller portion of it because of smaller screen, screen ammount advantage for VR
    3. cocpit view with camera placed where the driver head is with aditional 3D effect due to that view displayed for both eyes separately, one perspective for one one for another -> advantage for VR for close to mid distances and gives better sence of surroundings and distances to objects that are close
    4. its all that and because its moving with your head the perspective and camera position changes constantly

well IMO thats mopre realistic than floating behind and above the car or having head somewhere on the hood or right behind it,

again I dont care which one you are using and if it gives you any advantages but I do care if you say that cocpit one isn't more realistic, it is
    sorry thats a lot of text but sometimes I just like to write about it, #fov_police XD
    cheers

LATE4APEX and chksix like this.
  16. McGraw

McGraw Racer

My view is that thread titles should say what the thread is about.

JanR, chksix and GCCRacer like this.
  17. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Simracer

Maybe an option for admin to force chase cam view? Or how about rear view only- Kinda like a "knives only" match in COD.

18. michael_

michael_ Simracer

No it isn't.

No, they are not. The closest view in games to the view they use is the bonnet cam. They don't render steering wheels on their displays.

Example here:

VR is you're sitting in the car driving it. None of the cockpit views in racing games displayed on 2d screens achieve this.

If there's anything at all realistic about what you see when playing a sim that's because of billions of pounds of research and development by Oculus, Valve et al.
    That's why sims are immersive today. All the cockpit views otherwise were just because people wanted to see pretty renderings of the inside of a car.

Although, as I said, if you minimise the distance between your toy wheel and the monitor then you can get reasonably close with triple screens but Weber shows what you should
    really do if you value realism.

19. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

This is racing SIMULATOR, simulating sitting IN a race car, NOT simulating sitting on the hood of a race car.
    Plus,you loose the sensory input of the car rotating.

Maciej Malinowski and vortex19 like this.
  20. McGraw

McGraw Racer

You’ve written a lot here but aren’t really saying much.

Other than correctly stating that F1 sims don’t show a wheel, what are you actually saying?