1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Does complete lack of performance customization bother anyone?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Tacoscent, Aug 31, 2016.

1. No, what most people are saying is "omg nfs arcade **** im so hardcore simracing bro".

Cause they're freaking retarded.

P.S. Fully aware that Kunos doesn't have the mean to bring proper customisation.

2. plaid

plaid Alien

I believe the hardcore-ism isn't strictly related to the IQ of those majorly affected. Current physics are so realistic that a wide variety of people believe that they actually drive real cars. The ability to distinguish sim and reality decreases, sometimes till its perceived as basicly the same. The strong believe in the realism leads to major aggression whenever non affected spread disinformation, like questioning the physics about the title they are fanatic about, asking about features from several other sims - even worse simcade or arcade games - or being asked by noneffected where car is that the affected wanted to show them, after he took them to his livingroom.
    This isn't something new, in other (major) unrealistc kinds of games its allready known of fan-ism and fanboyism, depending on the age or mental age of the affected.

But there is no cure yet for that major dismutation. Several suspects attacked harmless reviewers in the last week for critizsing a sim released on the console cause of the non hardcore (softcore?) parts of it , even if the reviewers praised the hardcore parts. But even worse: They gave reality/the sim low ratings.

I heard some real racedrivers and supercar collectors noticed these events and they started a fund that makes it possible for the major disfigured to get therapy lessons in real cars to end their struggle and percieve reality and sims properly again.

kofotsjanne likes this.
  3. Johnnypenso

Johnnypenso Simracer

Doesn't bother me at all. There are other games for that. I much prefer in a racing simulator that no advantages can be gained through tuning tricks and spending dozens of hours trying different combinations to find the best one. I'd rather race and compete on tuning and driving talent alone.

Glen Hipperson and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  4. McGraw

McGraw Racer

No.

Only ever raced stock cars in Forza and the one mod I tried to do (mclaren f1 engine in the 850csi to make an M8) didn't work.

5. Louizf

Louizf Racer

With the way AC handles physics, it would be cool to see how a car reacts with a aftermarket suspension for example. Maybe it would turn into a total piece of c*** and, changing more components, you could make it work, things like that.

Anyway, I don't see this happening at this point on AC.
    I think the @OP should post this on the suggestion forum, just so people who would like this could weigh in as well.
    Maybe Kunos would consider this for a future title.

6. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Watch from 18:15 on, ending quote come in at 19:50, and one more at 22:08. Then keep it running after 22:08 to hear about their forza/GT comparisons.
    End of story?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  7. Timberwind

Timberwind Racer

I understand why you would want upgrades, though I don't really think it fits into this sort of racing game Assetto Corsa tries to be. For me, the GT3 car setups already have more than enough choices to customize at least the driving part to my liking and being able to create unique liveries just as you want them.
    Even if I sometimes wish myself to be able to fix annoying characteristics of otherwise interesting cars by using upgrades. As they can be totally optional I see no problems with the existing playerbase.
    But there are much higher priorities Kunos should continue working on: AI behavior, difficulty, career, breaking temps, V10 tires for all, balancing Special Events, multiplayer replays, rolling starts, maybe safety cars, transmission sound, transmission model, lowspeed ffb, ignition. dynamic racing line grip, pit lane limiter, pit stop app and a new engine which should at least enable propar lighting from multiple sources, shadows etc.

8. Stereo

Stereo Alien

Let's be real, lots of people don't even understand AC's toe/ride height adjustments, a realistic performance customization would just be meaningless gibberish if it didn't say "+5 hp" "+2 cornering" on each item. Which is almost certainly not how it would look.

9. Quffy

Quffy Alien

Race cars or track only cars (zonda r, fxx k, etc.) wouldn't make sense or worth of custom upgrades. So there half the car list would be unchangeable beside setup.
    Then certain manufacturers wouldn't allow even on their road cars. For the rest, I guess manufacturers would have to preapprove all possible tuning parts to their cars.
    The way we have Step versions in AC, it could be made in a way that AC offers the base car and make a system for people to tune their own Step versions, but with enough customizations to make it worth for the player to do this instead of the current upgrades offered from the devs.

10. Chazz Ranger

Chazz Ranger Alien

When I first got into AC, I thought the lack of car upgrade/customization would eventually bother me. When I fell in love with how AC felt, I realized modifying cars in Forza/GT was really a waste of time anyway - what difference does it make if the car has 176hp or 500hp? So it can go faster, so what? If I want to go faster, I can always just... drive a faster car. It's fun for the first little while when you have limited cash flow and you need to think about your upgrades. But as soon as you have ample cash, modifying just becomes tedious as you slap on the best and most powerful everything for your car. The only real fun part was choosing wheels that look good for a particular car.
    I realized most racing games simply use fun gimmicks like painting and upgrades to make up for the fact that the actual racing never felt all that good or realistic. AC feels so damn good to drive, I don't care what I'm driving most of the time :D

11. Boris Lozac

Boris Lozac Alien

I honestly didn't expect this kind of thread in a PC section..

12. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

In AC, a lot of work goes into tuning and setting up the physics of the cars. If you're going to change parts of the cars, there likely is no reliable way to do this properly without checking the car physics again.
    Even with the current way, it can happen that it behaves weird or just messed up.
    Happened with the SF15-T in the original DLC release (1.7?), where it went mad and jumped around if you stiffened the dampers to unrealistic values.

With interchangeable parts, that would mean that there is a close to infinite number of combinations and very likely some of them are going horribly wrong.
    So doing that would be like playing with a time bomb. At some point, it would be going »booooom«.
    The less complicated the physics are, the more likely it's going to work out.
    And this is very likely the reason why AC does have pre-defined S-stages instead of customization.

The second problem there is that it would be a horrible concept for multiplayer games.
    Or maybe you wouldn't allow these cars in multiplayer? But that would possibly mean that people get used to driving cars offline they can't drive online, which can be dangerous for multiplayer races as well.

In the end, the setups and skins will be the most amount of customization you can expect in a simulator.
    If you have a problem with that, look somewhere else, it's that simple.
    Or install or create a mod.
    But keep in mind that very likely you're going to make things worse.
    It's a bit like in real life where a lot of people »tune« their cars and in 99.9% of the cases they're absolutely horrible (handling-wise, beauty obviously is in the eye of the beholder).

13. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Hardcore Simmer

On the one hand I'd like to see performance customization, on the other hand I fear that it would go along with curtailed physics (as others said) and therefore I rather live without customization in Assetto Corsa. Considering that Kunos would have to ensure that every combination (inner-carwise; if this is a word) would be "bug-free", I doubt that it will ever happen. There are so many (new) variables. Kunos would have to hire an entire staff just dealing with the implementation of upgrades and checking all the interdependences.
    15 years ago, I really enjoyed Need for Speed Porsche, where you could buy certain parts to increase performance. But back then I didn't care for accurate physics, though I was very happy to see that each upgrade had an impact on the car's behaviour - accurate or not.
    Assetto Corsa is something else for me: It's the sheer driving experience that brings me back and back again to Assetto Corsa. Every car feels different. And (as others said) small adjustments to the setup can make big differences on the car's behaviour - so even the same car feels different.
    But if Kunos were able to implement performance customization or better were able to deliver it within their high standards for accuracy, I would definitely appreciate it. And, I would probably spend money on it.

14. Tberg

Tberg Alien

15. Berry

Berry Alien

Yes, I want bigger wings and chrome wheels and #dorifto stickers on the japanese cars :(.

16. V8_KB

V8_KB Alien

Fits as good as Electric cars thread. ;)

To answer the question. No it doesn't bother me at all. I wouldn't like to see NFS U2 style tuning where you have tons of parts from visuals to performance. Mainly because it's impossible to do it with realistic-ish results and in reasonable time frame. But also because it would be very unbalanced to race against those cars - for some that's make it more fun, for me not.
    But I'd like to see more "preset" tuned versions as Stage 1/2/3 etc. for street cars.

Car tuning is "arcade" is so ridiculous that it's mad funny when I read it as an argument to not implement something like that. Tell that to all those people in real life that track and tune their cars. Their lives must have no simulation value whatsoever.

Michael Hornbuckle and Jebus like this.
  17. Orne

Orne Alien

Doesn't bother me at all. IMHO people need to concentrate on driving the car, learning the tracks and appreciating the nuances of each cars driving characteristics. Its a driving simulator, drive the car! Everything else is a distraction and best saved for a completely different game. AC has around 60 cars or so. I've logged 452 hours in AC since I bought it 3 months ago and I still haven't driven every car at every track. So many nuances to explore in this simulation without missing performance customization.

AmorFati and Boris Lozac like this.
  18. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Hardcore Simmer

What do you exactly mean?
    I don't get it. :-(

Is it because Stefano said that it will never happen? (Did he actually say it? I didn't watch the whole stream.)

PS: I don't try to be sarcastic - I just want to understand.

19. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Watch the stream at said points, it really sums up how futile this thread is. If everybody watched it, we could get rid of half the threads on the forums, meaning half the fingerpointings going on too :)

Sorry, I know that is not what you are doing in your comment, I was generally refering to OP and people that keep the idea going.

20. Except that what he is talking about has nothing to do with this threads topic. Nothing. He is explaining how the typical reviewer doesn't understand that the 'goal' in AC is to simply enjoy the driving and to spend countless hours simply working at shaving a tenth of a PB.

A better stream would be one of the early ones where he explained that he considered remaking the folder system for cars because Aris wanted a system where it would be possible to add a wing or change rims without it needing to be an entirely separate car folder.
    Aris is the one that created the step versions of cars, he used to TT cars at the Ring (which involves souping them up with aftermarket parts), and he would love to have full customization with realistic values in AC. Does that make him part of the crowd that should go back to NFS or Forza?

Louizf and kofotsjanne like this.