1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Does having force feedback wheel help?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by KubiG37, Mar 6, 2020.

1. KubiG37

KubiG37 Rookie

Hi,
    I'm thinking about buying a new wheel. I'll certainly buy something with FF, but do you think it can actually help you drive better? Having the feedback, and/or more degrees of rotation?

I have just an old and cheap FGT Rumble 3in1, no FF, only like 240°... And the major issue I have with this wheel is that it is extremely difficult for me to recover any oversteer and spins (note: I play mostly GT3 cars), since I have only about 1cm or less of tolerance which I have to catch, otherwise I overcorrect or not apply enough countersteer and loose control completely.

I'm also wondering, does FF help you recognize slide? Sometimes I spin out, because I'm thinking I'm turning, while it's actually my rear slowly getting ahead of me, and when I find out it's usually already too late (+the above mentioned issue)

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Programming Language - Apps - GUI Themes Does having more apps hurt FPS? Apr 29, 2014
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards Track Rating does not reset properly on Nordschleife Apr 2, 2024
    ACC Physics Does ACC not implement real life braking mechanics?(Need some insights on this recent youtube video) Mar 16, 2024
    ACC User Interface View settings doesn't get saved anymore [A/V intervention] Mar 9, 2024
    ACC General Discussions GT4... but does the bop exist? Dec 29, 2023
    ACC Physics Asphalt temperature does not change tire temperature and pressure Dec 2, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Does xbox one version become x/s optimised version? Nov 19, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting game does not start or even launch Nov 19, 2023
    Physics Bugs & Issues Tyres doesn't change in pit Oct 8, 2023
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Does anybody know where Fanatec stores its brake settings? Sep 15, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals DDoes anybody know where Fanatec stores its brake settings? Sep 15, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Cheating, does it happen, is it possible on Xbox Sep 10, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Changing steer lock doesn't work with Thurstmaster TS-XW Aug 4, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Fresh Windows 11 install and ACC does not start! Jun 28, 2023
    Audio Bugs & Issues Sound doesn't work on my speakers Jun 25, 2023

3. hristo1026

hristo1026 Racer

Yes, and the more powerful and faster the wheel is, the better it transmits that feeling.

4. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

A better wheel will give you better immersion, nothing else.

You will waste your money if you think any wheel will make you "drive better" as you wrote, which probably really mean; be faster.
    Fast people who compete and win online do not have particularly sophisticated wheel and usually reduce FFB to a minimum as it an hindrance to them going faster.

listen to podcast where fast e sport driver discuss how they do it, wheel is not the key to how they compete and win.

A good load cell pedal brake will help you a lot more than any wheel to get faster.

Immersion, hell yes, the better wheel, among other accessories are greatly contributing to the pleasure

5. WallyM

WallyM Alien

The FFB provides extra inputs for your brain to inform what the car is doing, so yes, it helps.

Snoeipaard likes this.
  6. Hagen

Hagen Hardcore Simmer

You dont need to have a fancy wheel, (like cote dazur said).
    240° rotation sounds horrible to drive, so any entry level 900+ FF-wheel will make it much easier to correct slides.
    More rotation will help you also to not cause slides. It is easier to be precise if 5° input translate into 5° on the car.
    With your wheel 5° input might be 15° on the car. (Those cheap wheels often have huge deadzones around the center)
    Pedals are important too, as you use them to balance the car in corners.
    There are aliens still winning comptitions on g25 wheels, so it is not like you need to have direct drive + loadcell brakes.
    Of course even more precision is always nice...

7. KubiG37

KubiG37 Rookie

Thanks for the replies!
    I know it won't suddenly make me faster ;) , but I'm really much more worried about loosing control when driving, than going through a difficult corner. It forces me to use mostly the cars with engine in front, and use very stable, slightly understeering setups, which I feel are a bit slower than when using setup I'd like.

It has a few degrees of deadzone at the center too, even when set to 0, it is annoying, glad to hear it's not the issue with better wheels. Guess I never knew AC would grab me so much and I'd spent so many hours in it. :rolleyes:

I never really thought about pedals. Is there something specific about them you would suggest if I decide to buy some? Or are those I get with mid-high level wheel range 'good enough'?

hristo1026 likes this.
  8. Laky Tom

Laky Tom Rookie

yes ffb is really helpful, the wheel turns on its own when you start sliding and helps you correct it. Been using the entry Thrustmaster T150 for almost 2 years now, its not amazing but gets the job done.

9. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

Yes, load cell brake.

10. Atak_Kat

Atak_Kat Simracer

As someone who has gone through a range of purchases over a few years, I can only offer a couple of pieces of advice based on my own experience.

If you really enjoy this hobby, sacrifice quantity for quality. Assuming limited finances (like 99.9% of us), invest in fewer things, but whatever you purchase, target the higher-end you can.

A decent/good FFB is the cornerstone of everything. Yes, it can help you recognize when the car is getting a bit loose, but it is really dependent on the wheel and how you set up the game. Lower end wheels can make 'forces', but it can still be quite difficult to recognize clearly what they are coming from. I think many people have way too many forces going on, and it can get a bit muddy, and be hard to recognize the related messages on the lower/mid range wheels. That doesn't mean you can't, but different people have different capabilities to recognize those forces and make the connection. Personally, I still struggle a bit with this, but since getting a DD1, it's like a different world.

There are a million discussions on 'what makes you faster'. The truth to that is that 'you' are the main element in that. The equipment helps, but you make much more of an impact.

What is far, far more important (my opinion), is to consider what brings you some joy in the hobby. I guess you do it because you enjoy it. So it's more about what you enjoy, rather than finding the magic piece of gear that makes you faster. I can buy the most expensive and high-quality guitar available.... but it won't make me play music better if I don't practice and develop. At the same time, if that nice quality guitar somehow brings me some joy and motivates me to play/practice more.... then it's a wise investment, for me.

If you've already decided this is a long-term hobby for you, then I would try to save up some $ and look into Fanatec. There are pros/cons to Fanatec, but they have one thing that the other brands struggle to really offer.... a really good range of equipment that works together, and all of it is quite good. Once you're in that eco-system, a lot of it works together, and you can add/upgrade as you go. You can go really far in the Fanatec range, if you want. You can also usually find some used stuff around on local buy/sell sites... you might need to be patient, but usually things come up and you might find a decent deal.

But it never seems to end if you love the hobby, trust me. I made some pretty significant purchases in the last year. Thought I was pretty much done. Now, I recently discovered tactile/buttkickers.....

11. Shang Xue

Shang Xue Rookie

12. Shang Xue

Shang Xue Rookie

get T300