1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Discussing Driving Views

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Diablo_rf, Apr 8, 2019.

?

What type of camera view are you using?

1. Interior

92.5%
  2. Exterior

3.6%
  3. I use both, depending of the situation

3.9%
  1. Liakitsos

Liakitsos Gamer

There is a choice of indoor camera races and outdoor camera games in multiplayer.
    sorry
    Google Translate

2. Diablo_rf

Diablo_rf Hardcore Simmer

Do you really need statistics to understand that a better overview lets you judge things better, hit the chicane more precisely, get rid of the raindrops (at least at the moment) limiting your visibility and etc?

But if you want statistics, I have a statistic here for you:
    100% of the top leaderboards players in GT SPORT use bamper cam or hood cam.

It won't make you automatically faster, but to those that know its advantage, will make them in the end faster and more consistent.

Many of you say that the most important thing is the skill. Tell me then, why is everyone in GT SPORT using the bamper cam, especially the top players in the leaderboards?
    Show me at least one top player in GT SPORT that use the cockpit camera.

Maybe in the end, I shouldn't have been making this thread, and use the external view in my advantage.
    But I want everyone to be in a fair place, and I also want to enjoy the game in the way I want it to enjoy, and not in the way I'm forced to play it...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  3. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

And here I though this was a racing simulator !

chksix likes this.
  4. fnegroni

fnegroni Racer

A racing simulator can be different things to different people.
    For example, your ability to drive faster thanks to a better setup transcends the camera view you choose.
    Your ability to race a laser scanned track transcends the speed at which you do so.
    iRacing forces everyone to use cockpit camera. That’s to avoid having to worry about whether one is better than the other. But doesn’t force you to have the mathematically correct FOV now does it?

5. Guidofoc

Guidofoc Alien

I think the bumper cam is easier to drive in, so potentially faster. Better view of the road, stays in the center of the car, no windshield. I would never use it in a "serious" sim-racing game but I have seen other people using it in ACC and AC. I hope there are options for forcing cockpit/dashboard/helmet cameras in multiplayer for important events, leagues and whatnot. It's obvious that everyone tries to be fast, but to qualify an event as "e-sport" means that people need to have a minimum set of constraints, the very least of which is driving right behind the virtual steering wheel.

As for FOV honestly I don't see a big problem: reducing the FOV to a realistic number (which in my opinion makes driving more natural) comes at the cost of less lateral visibility, so we are talking about a "best compromise" setting here, not a "cheating" setting.

Apart from that, of course every one has his own rig with different hardware, and different displays or VR, all of which ultimately affect their performance. Not much one can do about this, except for having big events happen in a specific location with the same rigs for everyone. But if there is something that costs zero and ensures a bit more fairness, like forcing cockpit view, this should be done for esports events..

6. Oberonone

Oberonone Gamer

I don't race solely to be the fastest guy on track. If I did i'd be sorely disappointed nearly all of the time. I race because I enjoy it, and I want to immerse myself in that world as much as possible. I have VR, aa modest wheel and pedal setup and it brings me great joy. I've always raced in cockpit view, even on console before I got a pc and vr. It would feel odd to race in any other view for me. Would I be faster in chase cam/bonnet view? Maybe, but I wouldn't get the same enjoyment out of it.
    Do I care if you use any other view? No, chances are you're quicker than me anyway, but i'm ok with that.

Don't sweat it bro, just take the pleasure out of the experience, not the result, it's entertainment. Besides, there's probably a server setting. If you're that hung up on it, you could always just play against the AI, but then, what view do they use?

Ace Pumpkin, LATE4APEX and tjr like this.
  7. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

when you guys talk about cockpit view. are you talking about this?

[​IMG]

Or this?

:D

8. fnegroni

fnegroni Racer

Incidentally there is now the dashboard pro view in ACC for those who have their own cockpit.

9. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

Sorry, I just don't see sitting on the hood of a race car while driving a round a race track, is simulating racing, but different strokes.
    Plus, you will definitely lose some visual feedback of the car rotating on its front wheels.

And if one wanted to see if they were hitting apex's or not, watch replay videos, that what is done IRL.

But again, what ever turns you on, is correct for the individual.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  10. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

You're not 'forced' to use bumper cam, lol. The only advantage you think it has, is because maybe you're not comfortable with driving in cockpit view or simply haven't set up your view settings correctly.

You're making a fuss about nothing if you'd ask me, just focus on your own driving. Your poll even shows 96% of people use interior views anyway.

Ace Pumpkin and Cucumber_86 like this.
  11. f.e.negroni

f.e.negroni Racer

Don't get me wrong, I am with you on that, I can't see how driving sitting on the front splitter is really driving... *but* we must accept that we are not all the same.
    Having said that, there is value in restricting to a certain camera setting. Mind you, ACC has 4 different internal camera settings so.

LATE4APEX likes this.
  12. cobrettee

cobrettee Gamer

Just wanted to post my experience here since I am a hood cam driver and voted accordingly. Tonight I tried dash cam in event #24 and gained almost a second as I was able to judge my braking points and apex better. As said before we are not all the same.

I have to ask though (as one would do in a good debate :p ) where do you draw the line? If VR drivers all of a sudden start taking the top spots will we say it gave them an unfair advantage and start calling for restricting it's use?

13. Luatz1

Luatz1 Racer

ACC is a much more advanced simulator in many many ways. Specialy in phisycs. I dont need any dash or hood cam to know where my wheels are and what part of the circuit or kerb they are touching, I know it at all times and I can judge it from the inside.

That hood or bumper is faster in one game, it doesnt make it a rule for all the other games. I also heard that in flrza the fastest drivers use gsmepad instead of wheel. Does this mean that gamepad is always faster?

Each person drives as they want, and trying to extrapolate a rule from GT sport to ACC is just wrong, the games are too different. ACC IS a simulator, GT sport says to be a simulator.

If you think that external camera suits you better and it is an advantage, then use it, there is no problem with that.

You can try to check the fastest word drivers in... Lets say iRacing instead of gtsport, thy are much more similar games from the simulation point of view. I am pretty sure all of them drive from the cockpit view.

lero and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  14. fnegroni

fnegroni Racer

In iRacing there is only one camera and that’s cockpit view. The question would then be about triple vs single vs VR (excluding other equipment, load-cell in particular)
    Even though both VR and triples in iRacing are definitely more viable options than in ACC due their maturity and performance.
    There is a question at the back of my mind, if I would be faster on a single monitor in ACC and that’s because using triples the performance is not what I would expect, I experience what I can only call stuttering, certainly vastly less smooth than when in single monitor. It might be just a sort of effect due to the graphics quality level setting having some impact on the texture rendering, I don’t get that in iRacing or Assetto Corsa.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  15. MakeMeLaugh

MakeMeLaugh Simracer

Actually yes, it would be faster if you were a bot with amazing precision, since it's much harder to turn a wheel than an analog stick.

16. Luatz1

Luatz1 Racer

Luckily for us, we are not Bots :)

I didn't know that, never tried to change the camera, I guess I was fooled by the different options during the replays. Thanks for the clarification.

17. MakeMeLaugh

MakeMeLaugh Simracer

Just you wait a few years, hybrid humans will probably be a thing lol.

18. mikendrix

mikendrix Simracer

we already have the wreckers
    they are still a bit human after all

Luatz1 likes this.
  19. viffviff99

viffviff99 Gamer

done a bit of league racing and I think there are advantages in external view, especially in traffic. I drive in cockpit view and in a Stewards enquiry, when submitting replays, the awareness you get with chase or roof cam is so much more than cockpit cam, that i also submit my cockpit cam footage to show how little I can see - especially with cars to inside or outside that are closing for example. I therefore have to give them extra room to be sure I do not touch them. I will always drive cockpit cam, for the realism. (Please please add TrackIR support/Opentrack at v1.0 or v1.1) even though I am single-screen only.

Diablo_rf likes this.
  20. PiretSS2000

PiretSS2000 Racer

I only cockpit unless I'm in the pits to see better my pit box