1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Driving Technique Discussion

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Karsten Beoulve, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Justin Cruze

Justin Cruze Racer

People moving under braking triggers me big time, I don't see much wrong here though.

But man that send from the Porsche....

2. Unf

Unf Racer

Is it possible to do a good trail braking on basic poor pedals?
    I have basic Thrustmaster T150 wheel + pedals (just simple rubber coin under the brake pedal) and I know for 99% that I lose time, beacuse I don't do proper trail brake.

I bet that on expensive pedals, especially with this "cell" stuff it is much easier? I just can't hold left foot on brake pedal so long... it's unnatural for me.

3. I do it on gamepad.

Nevermind im joking. I had a g29 and I found it much easier, or at least I was much more consistent, when I increased linearity.

Thats because the g29 pedal have a spring at some point. Having almost all the braking over the spring made it much more "intuitive", since there is more and more resistance, instead of constant travel.

If your pedals have a spring, try to put 5.

Unf likes this.
  4. Unf

Unf Racer

It seems to be logic and sense idea. Thx, go testing!

5. Burnleyhome

Burnleyhome Racer

Thrustmaster T-LCM pedals are what I upgraded to and they are awesome load cells for $200.
    I use USB to plug them into my PC, so can be used with any steering wheel.

Steve Redfox likes this.
  6. Mogster

Mogster Alien

I don’t think there’s a pay to win factor in simracing. To some peoples anger on the old AC leaderboards some of the fastest hotlap times were set by people using gamepads or even just the keyboard. It’s a shame the ACC leaderboards don’t reveal what gear people are using, I bet it’s surprising.

Expensive DD wheels and load cell pedals are nice to have but I really believe they wouldn’t make me faster, I just need to practice much more with my G25. High end gear is just much more immersive. I can imagine that a decent gamepad is better than a low end wheel though.

7. Be extremely carefull tho dude. Find a very confortable position for your back and you knees, because those are not loadcells. I almost lost my left knee after six months since my seat was not confortable for my knee and I was constantly applying pressure on it.
    So first take care of yourself.

Unf likes this.
  8. As i am an old school gamer, i never get used to the gamepads. I can do much better with KB and mouse. So i have not tried driving with them. Just take my comment with pinch of salt. Console players have a tendency to play with out of board cams which allow them to have a clearer view of the track, provide better situational awareness and make more precise turns. I do not know if this will make huge difference in hotlaps but it does in race. Though there is nothing to complain about it. It is our choice to use wheels and onboard cams to immerse more. Comparing gamepads to any wheel may not be appropriate.

I played with G920 for a long time. As long as you have a fixed rig (nothing fancy needed) which you can be sure that your body and feet potions are same every time you sit on it, you get used to the feeling over the time. When i switched to Fanatec, it took time to get used to it. The difference is the consistency. With G920 you have to think, plan, start braking and control (be aware of) your braking. With Fanatec it becomes an instinct after a few hours of practice on the track. I am not sure how much of this can be attributable to loadcell. IMHO the general design is much better that it provides better control. Less thinking of brakes allows you to focus more on your driving and you consistency increase.

For me; Wheelbase do not make much difference, only the sensation changes. The con of it is, even i have CSW; it is much heavier. It becomes tiresome after an hour or two. As Aris mentioned in one of the videos, it is kind of a language. Your brain learn to interpret and associate the vibrations to certain behaviors. Rim types do effect your driving for good or bad. Some rims provide better control in certain cars. G920 has a fixed rim. Neither big nor small but just in the middle so suits to most cars and sim types except F1.

9. wjdalsdn

wjdalsdn Rookie

Hey guys, first timer to sim racing.

I've bought ACC about 4 days ago along with the G29 wheel and pedal set.

I heard that choosing one track and car is the best way of practicing and getting better at the game. So I've chosen Misano and the 720s (I really enjoy driving the McLaren over the other noob friendly cars like the Aston Martin etc).

However, my times are not great - my PB so far is a 1:36:831. I want to get this down to 1:34 so that I would be at least remotely competitive in multiplayer.

I know I can get much faster, because I missed an apex on the second last corner, and some other errors as well.

Thanks alot! Any feedback/tips/tricks would be much appreciated.

10. You are waiting too much turning in to release that brake. You are clearly having too much understeer and you are scared to spin mid corner.
    Try to increase the rear wing up to the maximum, decrease brake bias like 30 clicks or more.
    Soften the car a lot and increase a bit front bumpstop gap, but also increase a lot front bumpstop rate.

Alternatively, learn to enter the corner a lot faster by trailbraking. And hit the apex in coasting. You are basically waiting to hit the apex and then you accelerate, but you should hit it at the maximum speed possible.

11. Burnleyhome

Burnleyhome Racer

I love the 720S. Probably not the best at driving it, but I have fun.
    My opinion is that the 720 likes to coast over the apex and it doesn't turn in with 100% brake
    I found that it can snap on you if you put too much power down with the wheel turned.

Ideally, brake 100% straight line, trail brake just before apex, coast over apex. When just about straightened out, put down power.
    720 has great mid corner speed, so you have to trust that the car will continue to rotate over the apex without any pedal input.

I would find a good brake marker and drive the corner. Each lap decrease the braking zone by a small amount and have a faster apex speed. Repeat until you can't take the corner or compromise your throttle on the exit.
    Use replays or Motec to find the apex speed and you'll see it increase.

This is great if you are consistent (I'm not, but aim to do this really well for a few corners, and you'll be impressed how fast you can take the apex).
    Hard part is that when you are racing, you gain so much vs other cars, that its easy to hit them, even though they braked later than you.

My personal opinion is use safe or aggressive setup until you get lap times close to 3 sec vs aliens.
    Misano is a great short track to practice on. The above technique is great to use on the hairpin before the main straight.

Other things I would suggest is:
    - Youtube vids and track walks
    - race with only 2 AI cars (50% aggro). Increase their pace until you can just about match theirs and they will show you good lines. They will brake earlier than you btw, so be aware. This is also good training for following car so your braking points are obscured.
    - When racing in public lobbies, first lap give LOADS of room to everyone and let them overtake you. Its better to lose 4 places with no dmg after first lap.
    - Join a league. Most welcome new players, even if they are way off the pace. They usually help out, tips, etc.
    - Slipstream racing is US & EU based with leagues for both time zones usually on Thurs / Fri / Sat nights

Enjoy, its a mega game.

chksix likes this.
  12. wjdalsdn

wjdalsdn Rookie

Mmmm okay I see, I’ll try the setup changes you suggested. I’ll also try to get off the brake earlier during the corners. Also the coasting thing.
    Would it help if I reduced TC? I have it at 6, which is the default TC for the 720s.

13. wjdalsdn

wjdalsdn Rookie

Thanks a lot! I’ll definitely try the coasting thing!
    I see that the aliens are doing high 1:32/low 1:33. So I would assume just stick to safe/aggressive setup until I get to around low 1:36?
    Im located in Australia - not too many servers that I’ve seen with good ping haha

14. Burnleyhome

Burnleyhome Racer

I personally would NOT make any setup changes apart from:
    TC / ABS (base it on aggressive setup. More TC = less likely to spin on throttle application which is something 720 likes to do)
    tire pressures (to get 27.5 after 3 laps)
    brake pads = 1
    Front and rear brake ducts down 1 click (for 23 track temp which is what most public servers run)
    fuel = whatever you need

We have an Aussie in our league (plays with us in US - our 7PM Sat start time is 7AM Sun his time, which works out). Very fast racer. He has a red bar (high ping), but its stable, so can race with him

15. Steve Redfox

Steve Redfox Rookie

I have the same pedals and are very happy with them. Great value for the money. I use them on USB with customized calibration tool.

Main Apps I use them for are ACC, R3E and AMS2...work great with all of them.

16. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

I've played a lot of sims but I usually make the mistake of just practicing over and over and not actually doing longer races.
    Yesterday I tried doing a 2 hour race against AI with the newer Ferrari at Spa, just used the safe preset and went with it. On the first stint my front tyres were overheating (not sure if because I had too little ducts or the setup is just understeery), and overinflated, for the second sting I fixed the pressures and started relatively fast, but the tyres seemed to go away quickly and the people behind me started catching me.
    That made me remember that on AC1 on longer races I also didn't know how to handle the car once the tyres started to get a little wear.

TL; DR: What tips can you guys give me about how to drive and conserve the tyres for longer stints? Is the Ferrari just bad (seems unlikely but who knows) with tyre wear? How should I set up the car and drive to preserve the tyres, and what should I change once they have some wear on them? I know I can eventually figure this out by practicing but I thought I'd get a head start by asking for some tips.

17. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

@Poguinhas
    No expert here, but I would think the "safe" setup would be harder on the front tires.

Edit: Looks like you already figured that out. :oops:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  18. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

Yeah, that was a bit of context, but my issue overall is not knowing how to handle the car properly once the steering gets lighter because of tyre wear.

19. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

I've tried a 1 hour race around Kyalami with the Aston and the tyres felt Ok after an hour. So in the case I mentioned it was probably car and/or setup related. I'm not sure how kind each car is on tyres.

20. WallyM

WallyM Alien

I'd hazard a guess at maybe go with slightly higher TC & ABS than you would for a short stint? You'd probably sacrifice a little lap time for better longevity.