1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Dynamic racing line?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by magzire, Mar 2, 2018.

1. magzire

magzire Alien

Since this feature isnt added to AC I wonder how far ACC will take it.
    Overtaking off line will effect braking etc.

HemiR and Schnipp like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Physics Bugs & Issues Bmw m235i racing aerodynamics Sep 4, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Iracing – dynamic tracks preview video Jul 3, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Dem racing simulators (drs-13 3/4 dynamic suspensions) Jun 11, 2015
    Suggestions Dynamic Racing Line / Monza Speed Ring Mar 23, 2014
    General modding discussion Shadow (not supposed) dynamic rendering Feb 2, 2023
    ACC Physics Did ACC get robbed of FFB dynamic range & understeer feel in 1.8.12 update? Mar 30, 2022
    ACC Gameplay Not so Dynamic track Nov 25, 2020
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Dynamic resolution scaling Jul 16, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer Always thunderstorms With dynamic weather settings May 8, 2020
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Dynamic Damping May 3, 2020
    ACC General Discussions Online Servers with mandatory pitstops and dynamic weather? Apr 28, 2020
    ACC General Discussions Poll: Does your league use Dynamic Weather? Apr 25, 2020
    ACC Hardware Discussions Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO VS DT 990 Pro? Mar 10, 2020
    ACC Gameplay [1.1.1]Championship not using dynamic weather and track? Oct 28, 2019
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres Exporting AC PhsyX Data to Vehicle Dynamics programs? Oct 15, 2019

3. WallyM

WallyM Alien

I'd like to see that too. It adds another complexity for the racer to deal with.

HemiR likes this.
  4. martcerv

martcerv Alien

A good dynamic track model will be nice and as they want to do rain well its pretty much a key part of this. Regarding braking off line it really doesnt make as big a difference in regular passing spots on dry tracks as the road is normally fairly clean in all useble lanes. Its more of an issue when running wide as thats where the marbles and dirt stay so miss an apex it will be even worse with a better dynam8ce track.

Even as is in AC with the same grip for the entire track surface braking off line means you need to brake more to slow more if on the inside or when side by side and not having the full track for your regular line. This is why most still crash into others, they seem to think going to the inside and braking later then normal will actually work. Having less track to use and a car alongside means you need to brake sooner then usual not later. ;)

Nahkamarakatti and magzire like this.
  5. kakusso

kakusso Hardcore Simmer

Dynamic race line is an unacceptable driving aid. I used to admire a race driver in the F1 series only to be disappointed by his YouTube videos. The only thing he did was fallowing the dynamic racing line, absolutely no driving skills needed, unfair advantage to those that use it.
    Edit: It's like passing a test while being able to see all the correct answers.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  6. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Hardcore Simmer

???
    Sorry, I don't get it. How can it be an advantage for him if others use it, too?
    And do you mean a driving line aid like in Automobilista?
    I thin OP refers to a dynamic racing line which gets rubbered in and dries faster when it stops raining (like in PC2 or rFactor 2 or Automobilista).

I'd love to see such a feature in ACC.
    But it shouldn't be as simple (I think that is everything else but simple to program it) as in rFactor 2 where the fastest line in the dry is also the fastest line in wet conditions.
    In PC2 you have to find a different line in wet conditions because of standing water. That's great but it still isn't like in reality where a strongly rubbered-in racing line can be very slippery when it's wet (cmp. "Kallenhard" at the Nordschleife).
    I don't want to complain about rFactor 2 and PC2. I love the implementation of rain and "realroad" or "livetrack". I guess it's one of the hardest things to develop.
    Hopefully, Kunos will find a way to make a similiar or even better dynamic racing line.

I hope I've understood the OP correctly and it's about something like "livetrack" and not something like a dynamic driving line aid (where a coloured driving line shows you where to brake, turn in and accelerate).

Schnipp and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  7. kakusso

kakusso Hardcore Simmer

Maybe I misunderstood the topic.
    Dynamic race track surface - Yes.
    Dynamic race line, (painted in the tarmac telling the driver when to brake and when to turn) - No.

dermonty and Alistair McKinley like this.
  8. Pulley

Pulley Simracer

A Dynamic Racing Surface is a must for me in todays racing sims, I just find it hard to race on a static track knowing that it's not "alive" so to speak. If the Devs are to get this right then the whole surface needs to be Dynamic, that is all of the tarmac/bitumen, Curbs, Painted Lines etc and they all have different properties in wet weather. A Dynamic surface brings so much more realism to a sim but it doesn't stop there, the Sun/UV when shining on the surface is different from shaded parts, track & ambient temperature also play their part so it would be good to have those features in as well.

magzire likes this.
  9. ya I guess you were thinking of "ideal line" as an aid.. which is not what the thread is about at all.

10. martcerv

martcerv Alien

I really do hope that Kunos dont go the way SMS did, they had a cool feature but went way over the top just as I expected. Barcelona had snow this week and the track was closed, the puddles you get in PC2 are enough to red flag any circuit race other then possibly rallycross. We really dont need snow as Blancpain would never race in it, and weather that brings out red flags would be kind of pointless even if cool the first time you see it.

Tomcul, GhostMan, Ace Pumpkin and 2 others like this.
  11. Alistair McKinley

So, my dear Lord, would you be so kind and gracious as to throw us a bone regarding "livetrack" / "realroad" or however it could be called?

12. Alistair McKinley

I know exactly what you mean.
    The puddles can be a pain in the ***, especially because AI are able to accelerate whilst we mortal humans have to avoid the puddles or lift off.
    Nevertheless, I love the approach of standing water. But I have to admit that I don't know how accurate/authentic that is.

Edit: Again, it has to be done accurately so that you don't have the problem of a race track which is more like a swimming pool. Would be cool, if a race would be postponed due to standing water on the track. (But now I'm wishlisting.)

Doesn't matter what and how, I do believe Kunos will be doing a great job on rain and night.

13. martcerv

martcerv Alien

The odd bits of standing water are ok and races would still usually go on until its at the point where you just aquaplain at any speed with no bit of road that is still useable. One example of PC2 is any decent amount of rain at Bathurst the final turn is a swimming pool and you pretty much need to go over inside curb as even 5kmh on the track you have zero control with even wet compounds. This is pretty much the same at most tracks I tried in the wet there and its just taken so far beyond realistic racing conditions it is a bit of a joke there.

The other issue PC2 had last I ran it which was a while ago now, in MP the conditions weren't equal for all and not even close at times. Some getting a heavy downpour while others on the same bit of track have it completely dry still making it pointless to run in rain in MP and their AI are pointless to race in any conditions.

Alistair McKinley likes this.
  14. chuky

chuky Alien

Does it really need to be dynamic ? Static would be enough. The driving line in a race will always be the same, people will use the same trajectory over and over. There can be a secondary driving line when it's wet, so people avoid wet places. You would only need 2 static racing lines for each track and that's it, one for dry and one for wet, and then a multiplier based on the number of laps like what we have in AC1.

Mauro Delegà likes this.
  15. I can say that it'll be an improvement over what we have in AC. How much of an improvement? Too early to say.

16. kraM1t

kraM1t Racer

It's pretty nice in AMS, as the race goes on you get lots of marbles around the edges of the track, really makes you not do the wild overtakes after slipstreaming round the outside, makes braking distances much longer too, would be cool if ACC had that. Driving line in the wet is pretty important, especially as it's drying, but in the dry it's a bit meh tbh, would be good if it has it but not the end of the world if not.

Paratus and Alistair McKinley like this.
  17. Pulley

Pulley Simracer

"Too early to say" is the new "Soon" :D

ShimonART likes this.
  18. Alistair McKinley

Thank you very much.

It's not too early to say that I won't be disappointed. :)
    I'm really looking forward to your new game.

19. Skybird

Skybird Alien

The ideal racing line you talk of only is as good as the driving line of the person who decided that this line is the one to be put into the game. It ignores driver- and car- and setup-specific characteristics that vary from car to car and from driver to driver and from setup to setup. So, it is not really an ideal line, but a safe line meant to aid a newbie to the track. However, I would recommend to switch it off from the beginning, and instead of trying to practice in a race, practice before the race, and that means: learn walking before trying to run and sprint. It also means to learn the trackside objects to help you marking your braking and apex and accelerating points. For this, you need eyes, and a certain miniumum consistency in your driving. An ideal line marked on the tarmac does not train your eyes, but teaches you the wrong thing: to get fixiated on a line on the tarmac that in reality would not be there, nor would be allowed in a serious, managed racing event online.

An ideal line marked aon the tarmc, thus is no unfair advantage. I rate it as a distraction, and as an invitation to learn how to learn wrong.

In other words: Switch it off, and in your mind start to mark your own line. That will take time, and that will be a line that you time and again will slightly correct and change, depending on your skills, and the car and setup you currently use.

20. Johnnypenso

Johnnypenso Simracer

What you're asking for is the racing line to change over time in response to changing weather/atmospheric conditions, cars rolling over the surface, debris scattered on the track etc. In which case the answer is yes, I'd love to see that feature make it into the game. It would be especially fun in the more dramatic conditions provided in the longer races, with a large number of cars rubberring in the racing line, rain bringing oils to the surface and washing them away, marbles building up on the outside of corners etc.

21. dentalfloss

dentalfloss Rookie

Early Access is out this month -- can you offer any more details now?