1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Dynamic Weather Discussion

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by MsportDAN, Apr 4, 2019.

1. pankykapus

pankykapus KS Dev Team Staff Member KS Dev Team

If you choose a race weekend with practice sessions, high variability is pretty much random from the 2nd session on, because you can't predict in which direction the weather is going to change over the weekend.

f.e.negroni, R. Iván and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  2. admix

admix Gamer

Yeah, I was referring exactly to the slope of those curves. What I was asking was whether the slope was fixed and slow (i.e. that the conditions deteriorated with a slow progression between dry and storm), or whether it was possible to have a drastic change in weather(according to the cloudiness of the sky), even from dry to heavy rain in 1-2 minutes, as it happens in reality when the rain suddenly surprises you without warning you with a light drop of rain. From your answer it would seem possible, thank you.

3. pankykapus

pankykapus KS Dev Team Staff Member KS Dev Team

If the cloud level is sufficient for such a rain intensity, then yes. I mean it won't go from clear to thunderstorm in 3 minutes, but you can have sudden high-intensity rain in overcast conditions.

Tim Meuris and mr Switchblade like this.
  4. admix

admix Gamer

Exactly. That's what I wanted to know. Thanks for amazing job!

5. Coanda

Coanda Alien

What does Precipitation do and why is not enabled in custom configuration mode?

mms likes this.
  6. iVG

iVG Alien

Just a quick one - Is there any chance we can see weather forecast while driving, not only in pits. Also ambient temperature seems to be missing ? How do we know if its 10 or 40C outside? Driver would certainly feel those things even without a thermometer on track... Seems a bit odd that we can't see that.

7. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

You see it down at the tyres app - except it has the message "no change", then it's hidden.

Yes

Edit: being more precise; we talked about it and for sure will give indications, but as you know we would like to have something more subtle that 21.3157°C texts floating around. But for sure you should have a clear indication if it's cold, hot, medium

Tim Meuris and After_Midnight like this.
  8. iVG

iVG Alien

Oh okay, so forecast only appears if there's change coming. Good to know. As to temperature a basic track/ambient temp would suffice me thinks. I mean it's not exactly rocket science and pretty sure all GT teams have at least one thermometer in handy or they can google their location and it will give them the temperature :p

9. Coanda

Coanda Alien

It's ok Precipitation is enabled once cloud cover => 60%

mms likes this.
  10. Mitja Bonca

Mitja Bonca Alien

Why not having all weekend random, starting from 1st session?
    I don't really get why setting 1st session's weather.

And btw, I tried with some variaty but most of the time it was just raining (less or more), but when lots of standing water on track (and off it) there was really not much rain falling, steange view, almost no rain from the sky, but lots if puddles.

One more thing, for me, best weather forcast and its implementation was in pra-old GP4 from Crammond. Take a look, maybe you guys get some ideas. Not saying do the same, but just to see how the forcast was made and how weather then evolved actually. Great stuff, specially for the time being, in late 90s.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    tow, ShredatorFIN, MsportDAN and 3 others like this.
  11. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

100% agree just been playing and the fact that you have to pre determine the start of a race (if you only do a race) feels a bit unauthentic.

Definitely needs a random weather at start, then you can choose the variation. Hopefully be added for full release.

p.s never got my random temp etc added for AC :(

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    Mitja Bonca, tow and warth0g like this.
  12. SebiTheJoker

SebiTheJoker Gamer

I don't quite understand this, can someone explain me this? So the weather will get to rain and back to dry faster, but the track will be "lagging behind" the changes? If i understand it correctly, that's a big no-no for me

13. iVG

iVG Alien

It's not going to lag, just make the weather change very quick compared to what you'd get in real life. That doesn't mean anything will lag...

14. SebiTheJoker

SebiTheJoker Gamer

You totally missed the point. I want an information, and that's it. I'm not criticiseing the devs or whatever went by in your mind. I'm not a native english speaker

Then explain me what this "It will give you a faster weather progression, while the corresponding track conditions will still be updated in realtime" means, if i'm wrong?

15. iVG

iVG Alien

Instead of using high variability when setting up the weather, an accelerated time can be used for the same purpose. That way actual time will progress faster rather than having in game time tick as slow as real life but have very high weather variability which will lead abrupt weather changes (think of the extremes like 1 min of thunderstorm followed by 3 minutes of sunshine followed by another 2 mins of rain etc)

Coanda, SebiTheJoker and Minolin like this.
  16. Jacobs

Jacobs Racer

Don't quite understand where is the problem. You rather have dry track after just one lap when weather changes quickly? Or normal speed? Only weather transition affected and surface condition being normal speed seems good to me.

17. SebiTheJoker

SebiTheJoker Gamer

A'right, this explains everything, thank you.

18. GRFOCO

GRFOCO Alien

@Aristotelis @pankykapus @Minolin
    I've some question about the whole system, maybe it's already explained but i don't find this king of info anywhere...

The weather is related to time multiplier, ok, but is the same for the track conditions?
    I mean:

1- Track going from green to optimal. I just don't care weather, let's make an example where is always sunny, is this possible only by track usage, right? so time multiplier don't change anything in this situation, right? But, into a running session, let's say a 24h race, can the optimal status and so ideal line go back a little bit if only few cars remaining on the track?

2- Track status going from dry to wet. Is it related to weather (and so, related to time multiplier) or the changing phases dry->wet / wet->dry are always simulated by the real time (time multiplier x1)?

3- Track going from wet to dry. Is possible to see the track slowly dries by itself without any car on track? If yes, is this phase always fixed, or is it related to weather (sunny / some clouds / heavy overcast, obviously no rain...) and air temps?

I know could be boring answer to this, but know how the system work is important for us when build up a server or some organized race...
    Thanks.

19. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

Rubber on track exclusively depends on cars lapping the track and it is cumulative. If less cars are running, they still add rubber. There is no time multiplier on this.
    (we have some ideas for the future about rubbering but we'll see)

Changing phases always in real time. Generally all physics are always in real time. So yes you might have heavy rain from sunny in say 2 minutes time, but the time needed for the track to get wet, clean up and dry again, is always 1x.

If there are no cars lapping, the track can dry itself but all together, not the "dry line". Some puddles will stay and dry up later.
    The phase is related to sun or clouds presence and air temps.

20. iVG

iVG Alien

Pretty much real life apart from this variability term that has to be there to please sim racers these pests ;)

Coanda, Aristotelis and Minolin like this.