1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Easing newbies into ACC

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by tdsamardzhiev, Jun 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Ok pal. Good work. I'm sure this newbie will get on just fine by trying to drift on a different game. Good one. ;)

I know you're not the OP. I tagged the OP in the second paragraph of my response, below my reference to your troll comment.

Ace Pumpkin, Jebus and chksix like this.
  2. SimGuy_1

SimGuy_1 Alien

My advice never for you so i don't know why you are so bothered don't you have anything else to do ? other than calling other people troll who are genuinely giving response to help others.
    If OP finds my post helpful or not thats upto him i gave advice that worked for me.
    Don't butt in.
    Edit:If you can't understand where drifting comes into play i doubt you are any good lol.

3. A-Jin

A-Jin Racer

Drifting is only possible if a person know limits of grip and as said by all racing drivers finding limits is key to be fast.I can understand what @SimGuy_1 is trying to say :)

SimGuy_1 likes this.
  4. Ok. I'll bite. Why not. :D

I know your advice isn't for me, but I don't think telling someone to drift in a different sim is helpful for them when they appear to be struggling to even keep the car within the white lines. I totally understand the "you need to learn the limits of the car" idea, but how is drifting in a totally different sim helpful? I mean, it's not as if GT3 cars are designed to drift and the physics in ACC are different - it's not even the same engine.

And yes, I have other things to do. Your point is, caller?

"Don't butt in"? Oh apologies, there was me responding to an open topic, how silly of me. I won't post anything until someone asks for my specific opinion in future :(

:p Oh boy, here we go. Let's start the "I'm quicker than you, so I know best" sim racing elitism attitude again.

Ace Pumpkin and Jebus like this.
  5. SimGuy_1

SimGuy_1 Alien

This advice was never meant for you.
    you just butted in for no reason other than trolling or you straight up don't understand anything.Gt3 are not for drifting but you have to know grip limits and drifting helps with that.
    How hard is it to comprehend that lol.
    I'm done with you because obviously you are troll nothing more.

BrakeCheck101 likes this.
  6. Wiser words were never spoken, no matter what sim/game you choose to play hours and hours even years need to be spent.

Froomer likes this.
  7. DHMoto

DHMoto Gamer

When I started sim racing I used to wreck practicing on ovals. I didn't understand that the games were advanced enough to calculate inertia and centrifugal force, down force, and all of the other physics properties we love that make the games more real or sims. There are still a lot of turns I struggle to be fast on at many tracks, but the ones where I put in the time, I can usually get....eventually. OP, if your friend likes the Porsche, add a couple clicks of rear wing and glue it down. If he likes Spa, that's fine, take Radillon in 5th short of the red line to learn it. Also watching race replays from the helicopter will show him his line versus the AI (who typically have it right). Lather, rinse, repeat. Patience, walking away for a while when you get frustrated, and studying what you are doing (right and wrong) will improve anyone's skill. The internet is overflowing with instruction and advice (some good some bad) , but it's all free - so have at it.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  8. Froomer

Froomer Rookie

Also, the setup of a car is also reliant on the drivers style. Like in real life, Hamiltons & Bottas' car are essentially the same but setup based in their style. And equipment also helps. I moved to a load cell pedal recently and found my times are getting a lot better :).

tdsamardzhiev likes this.
  9. Turk

Turk Alien

Racing is a skill that you need to learn, no professional race driver is thrown the keys to a car and told to drive it around a track until he gets it. They go to trainers, they do theory, they get feedback.

Driving fast isn't intuitive, there are some basic things you can do wrong intuitively and until you know how it's done right you'll just keep going down the road of doing it wrong and more wrong until someone corrects you.

He needs to sit down with a book or video (the series posted by [ATF]Shanti looks very comprehensive, search for skip barber for a lighter introduction). Then he needs to start practising the correct way of doing things.

tdsamardzhiev, Ace Pumpkin and chksix like this.
  10. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

In my humble opinion enabling the racing line assist is not a good idea. It's better in the long term if they get a feel for race tracks and each turn by simply driving and learning from mistakes instead of focusing on 'following the line'. The learning curve may be higher but so is the reward. It helps if the basics of looking for markers and looking ahead (as well as car control) are already covered.

11. Tundra

Tundra Hardcore Simmer

These guys have all track lap guides so I think that´s better than enabling ideal trackline while playing

tdsamardzhiev and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  12. trasgu

trasgu Simracer

I highly recomend that channel, very good track guides and he goes right in to the money, no BS, great respect for the guy.

But for a beginner maybe seeing those videos can be a double edged sword. If he get in to a competitive mood It has potential to lead him astray. Brendon is really fast even if in his videos from a novice point of view he can seem so collected, "slow" and very "far from driving on the limit" that what he does seem easy. If a begginer try to drive in the same way will keep getting out of the track everywhere, overshooting corners, crashing, spinning, and growing a lot of frustration trying to do the impossible way before of being ready enough.

Furthermore, even in the videos, one must to have in mind that the braking points and references that he shows in the videos are the ones that work specifically for him or someone with the same reaction times as him, but everybody has different reaction times and therefore even with 2 people with equal skill while using the exact same braking reference one can take the car to the apex perfectly fine but the other can overshoot the apex, experience teaches you to how to slightly adjust to that difference in timings, a novice can fall in to a trap. Maybe the best course of action would be racing against IA at the lowest settings for a while, there isn't a faster way to learn the lines around a track for a novice than follow other car while catching him.

tdsamardzhiev and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  13. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

"Noobs" (when my friends try driving AC/ACC) usually forget how a car works once they start driving the sim even if they have a licence. I guess most common error is max breaking and turning the wheel at the same time. (Not trail braking). The car plows straight ahead and he turns the wheel further to try to force the car to turn while pressing even harder on the brake since he's running out of track.

Avoid left foot braking until he/she starts understanding understeer due to overspeed. The left foot is usually less sensitive since it is used to work the clutch. Make pedal inputs smoothly instead of stomping like a tram driver where there's only 1/0 thrust or brake.
    Trying to teach him how to drift is just a waste of time IMO when a GT3 is made to avoid any slip angles to be fast.

Ace Pumpkin and BrakeCheck101 like this.
  14. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

1st explain to them the WHYs, behind what is done when racing a car.

For example, most people here understand the whys of why we start from the outside, then apex the corner, and let the car move back to the outside.

You will be surprised at how many people don't understand why we do that, sounds logical, but not unless explained to rookies, it will take longer than it should to learn basic driving methods.

Telling rookies that is how to do something,... "because that's how its done",... doesn't really help.

As someone else stated, following the superimposed racing line, doesn't help initially.

In my opinion, anyway.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  15. mikendrix

mikendrix Simracer

Following AIs is a very good way to learn the ideal lines on each each track.

16. NinjaMark15

NinjaMark15 Gamer

Having been such a fairly recent noob, I grew tired of being ditched and left behind. I was pissed and angry about it. So here is what I did. I started to wonder how fast I could be if I didn't half *** it, but really did my best to learn. So....

1. I got advice to watch driver 61 videos. I did.
    2. I took advice from a fast driver who said, "don't even talk to me about car setup if you haven't done at least 100 laps."
    3. I did the 100 laps and learned that driving is like juggling. After 100 laps I didnt need to think as much, and suddenly I could evaluate my driving against the concepts I was learning from Driver61. See how that works?
    4. Jointed acrl racing league that held a race every two weeks. So I practice 1 car and 1 track, 2-4hrs every day leading up to the race. I did this for several months. They had a practice server and I could see other racers lap times, so I'd practice till I was in the top 10. I didn't always make it, but it helped motivate me to work.

All of this didn't make me an alien, probably won't even put me mid pack in a serious EU racing league, but it will get me racing and having fun among legit drivers. For me, the above became a lot of was fun.

HOWEVER the above fun was NOT for my father who took up racing last year. He prefers the school of hard knocks, and frankly I get tired of explaining why his practice is garbage and he needs to watch Driver61 videos. BUT He continues to drive and improve slowly, so I don't critique him anymore. He is having fun.

Whatever you do, DO HAVE FUN. There isn't a fast way to gain experience, and no fast guy lacks it. So take that or leave all that, but put the time in and have fun. While nothing will make you instantly fast, not having fun will instantly decrease your chances of driving enough to gain the experience you need. You will quite, don't, have fun.

17. [ATF]Shanti

[ATF]Shanti Simracer

Got same situation with my father, I have to learn that not everyone is a good teacher(me) and as older you get as harder is it to learn new abilities especially when it comes to hand-eye coordination and reaction time related stuff...

18. Turk

Turk Alien

We have to put all that into context too. We wouldn't expect a person that's never played golf to be able to match tiger woods at golf... Ever, never mind within a few days or months. So being mid pack in a serious race is a big achievement, if you did a real world race a lot of small teams would be jumping up and down with joy if they could finish mid pack.

Most real world drivers are judging themselves against the best drivers they've met, or are in their area, sim racers are immediately judged against the best in the world. So the bar is already unreasonably high. It's like a guy doing a regional race in their personal track car comparing themselves to Luis Hamilton, of course there's a big gap.

tdsamardzhiev and [ATF]Shanti like this.