1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

PHYSICS ECU maps implementation

Discussion in 'ACC Blog' started by Aristotelis, Jan 16, 2019.

1. semil

semil Rookie

Yeah, it sounds sensible too especially link to the forum.

But I think it is hard to define where edge of basic and advanced explanation is. Be Captain Obvious and tell something like "stiffer dampers - stiffer suspension" is not useful. But start to explain why, what dampers is, how it works and you will interrupt yourself to not be too verbose and will leave even more questions. Example the ECU: they can show translated message "Map 7 - Quali power, aggressive throttle map" and it would be enough for some players. But another players would ask "How different quali and race power? How much it affects to consumption? What is aggressive throttle map? What is difference between linear and progressive?" etc. And Aris has already told us, why there are not many educational texts in the game (spoiler: the reason is not the reluctance of developers to provide this information).

I just want to say that we (players) already have a lot of information from devs (especially compared to other titles). And, tbh, if somebody has made an effort to come on forum to complain on lack of in-game information then it is not difficult come on forum to get this info here.

LATE4APEX likes this.
  2. NemethR

NemethR Hardcore Simmer

And what about all those, who do not even know, that this forum exists.?

3. semil

semil Rookie

They doesn't complain :D
    Rule of thumb: if you don't know what setting does don't touch it and leave default value. There are not game changer settings. And this about any type of settings in games, OS, devices etc.

Once more. I (and I believe others too) agree that it would be welcome have all this info accessible from the game (but not only there). But right now devs have told us why it is not there and why it is not so simple how it seems.

LATE4APEX likes this.
  4. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

No, I don't get you point. No one said anything about the documentation being only in the game (given the complexity). You on the other hand seemed to argue for the documentation to be only outside the game. Neither is ideal or should be acceptable.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    JimBoum likes this.
  5. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

They also will not bother to learn about car physics anyway, so they don't count.

6. NemethR

NemethR Hardcore Simmer

You are very wrong.
    Maybe they are no technical experts, but not having information in some cars is game breaking.

For example, having no clue how to stabilize the back of the Porsche, or hot to make the Ferrari turn in at Monza 1st chicane is actually game breaking.

Yes they count.

slatanek likes this.
  7. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

You missed the point, if they can,t be bothered to even look for this forum, then they sure as hell aren't going to bother researching and learning what it takes to make a car handle the way they prefer.
    This SIM is NOT a training coarse in car physics, unless of coarse they make an effort to learn, if not, thats NOT the fault of the SIM..
    Once again, those who can.t be bothered to do some researching, don't count.
    And if they don,t like how a particular handles, pick a different car.

9cholo likes this.
  8. Bealdor

Bealdor Rookie

So if you're not willing to research all the info you need on the internet by yourself, you don't deserve that documentation and if you ARE willing to research, you don't need it?
    That's one way to excuse the lack of proper documentation I guess...

9. NemethR

NemethR Hardcore Simmer

Well, this is a game.
    Meant to be fun.
    If you don't have enough info in the game to understand it, then its not so fun.

Pick a different car, but why? If that car is their favorite, nobody would want to pick a Porsche just because the Ferrari handles bad (or vice-versa).
    They would like to make the Ferrari handling better, but then again, there is no info in the game on how to.

And we really are talking here about Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V some text into the game.

slatanek likes this.
  10. semil

semil Rookie

Do you really think devs cant Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V some text? Or are you just oversimplifying things? It seem to be the second option because
    - it is not so easy to just read a few instruction at in-game windows. Or it would have already been done (for example one other title doesn't have tyre pressure in setups because devs decided that sim itself would set the only right pressure)

LATE4APEX likes this.
  11. NemethR

NemethR Hardcore Simmer

Well, there is already text displayed on the right side of the Setup screen.
    Adding more text (that has already been written somewhere on the forum), I really don't see why that would be complicated.
    I mean these guys can make a car in 3D, wonderful racetracks, physics, etc... So adding text should not be an issue for them I think - So there must be some other reason for it.

But I really do hope we are getting this maybe with v 1.4

Freddie Seng and slatanek like this.
  12. RS10

RS10 Simracer

The main or first reason for why it isn't in the game is just silly ... if it was in the game i could take a piece of paper, write down "BMW 1-3 dry, 6-8 wet" and be done with gathering the necessary info in three to five seconds ... i could take a post it note and put it on the screen if necessary (changing conditions for example) ...

as of now anyone who bought the game has to
    1) know that this forum exists
    2) figure out that "guide which contains crucial information" is actually hidden under "blogs" since there's no "GUIDES" section.
    3) search the first post of this thread for the car and then write it down or print it or fumble with multiple devices or whatever...

this takes an unnecessary amount of time and is soooooo much more practical ................

At least put the key info in the game "dry" "wet" "pace" just like TC and ABS are shown with the little graphs/visuals and maybe make a glossary here on the forum somewhere where all the info is gathered ... finding out what TC2 does on the Ferrari is a nightmare ... it's hidden somewhere in a reply inside the Ferrari 488 thread ... that's just ...

And even if it was the content from the first post here that would be in the game I'd bet there'd be enough people here who would do the 10 translations for free, it's essentially copy paste for most cars, this isn't about full guides or anything (even tho Nemeth kinda hijacked this thread to ask for full setup guides to be in the game).

(edit: apparently having community translated content is a big no no for whatever reason)

upload_2020-3-20_0-37-28.png

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  13. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

It is your opinion if a certain car handles bad or not, nothing more.

I, and many others prefer how the Porsche handles for example, to say it handles bad, makes no sense.

A Porsche will always handle differently than a Bentley, trying to make a Porsche handle like a Bentley, makes no sense.

If members here can't be bothered to do a minimal of searching here, then they sure a hell won't be capable of applying what they may of found anyway.

Is there room for improvement here,... YEP,... but with realistic expectations..

14. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

Nope,... all the info is here, on the ACC forum for individual component functions, such as ARB's.

To create a guide to tell people how to set up a car to match their personal tastes, is a waste of coding, if not impossible in the 1st place, considering the complex interaction between each individual component.

If one wants to learn how to set up a car for their taste, there are many guides on the internet, as has been posted here many times..

Is there room for improvement here,... YEP,... but with realistic expectations.

15. slatanek

slatanek Gamer

Truth is the basic explanation of what a setting does in a game should be IN THE GAME. It doesn't matter whether it's a graphical setting or car setup - it should have at least a rudimentary explanation. RDR2 is a good example - every single option has a short description, that way when you're changing AA settings u don't have to search thru forums, calling info lines or praying to gods to not go mad.

Description were in AC and the person in Kunos who thought this was a bad idea and should be scrapped in ACC should think again. Any fan boy vehemently defending this decision is just making excuses for something so basic that it just blows my mind. It's UX basics 101 - user should be able to tell what he's supposed to do without having to get a degree. Besides it is just a copy paste thing.

POLLINFLAS, Freddie Seng and RS10 like this.
  16. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

@slatanek - you are right. first they make physics, sound, no curb long jump contest any more, now the details, thats what makes sense. that they decide to do bad things is normally not the way they do it. can you agree?

17. slatanek

slatanek Gamer

I'm not sure what you're saying.

I think Kunos have done a fantastic job until now, they turned ACC from a meh sim to the best one on the market. No issue here, they really do a great job. But to defend the decision to not include rudimentary explanation of setup options in a game where there's options a plenty is just wrong (also why some options have a description in the first place? and others don't? Makes no sense) Especially that Kunos themselves set the standard by including those in the first AC.

This just excludes a lot of people from acquiring knowledge that otherwise is hidden in an obscure forum somewhere on the internet (from a non-geek person perspective). So they're basically making this a secret knowledge and thus creating a playerbase with very uneven knowledge distribution for no good reason. That's my point.

POLLINFLAS and sissydriver like this.
  18. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

now with google translate ;)

you're right. So far, this was not a high priority and they simply lacked the manpower to do it. hopefully this will be improved with 1.4, especially with regard to the console. So two chairs - one opinion (famous tv comedy in Germany years back ^^)

slatanek likes this.
  19. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

Since I seem to be accused of being a fan boy here,...

There are two separate issues here, 1st, should a rudimentary description of what ARB's function is for example, or graphics settings,... of coarse, nobody is saying otherwise.

I have powerful software such as video editing, CAD, that cost a hell of lot more than ACC, and yet they all have a "search" function, to find explanations for various functions.

The 2nd, to include explaining how to make a 991 handle to their liking for example, absolutely not.

Plus,... one must also prioritize what KUNOS resources are use for.

Until the sim's main functions are fully "polished", then the obviously necessary "help" can be completed.

But until there are no "critical", "bugs", "issues" etc.,... this is what we have.

If someone is truly interested in learning how to set up a car, and not hand holding, its all here, with a little initiative.

PS: And for some to constantly come up with a game to compare a select ACC function to, ridiculous, that silliness can be done with every program ever created,... useless.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    sissydriver likes this.
  20. slatanek

slatanek Gamer

Comparing a GAME (that's supposed to provide fun) to a PRO software like CAD or Photoshop is silly - being a professional, one is expected to learn the software inside out, playing a game not so much.

The info in game shouldn't tell u how to setup any car just as a graphical setting description doesn't tell u how to set it all up for smooth framerate. But at the same time the fact that the ECU mappings have no mention in the game whatsoever is just ridiculous (and yet the ECU setting is one of those prominently sitting in your HUD). I mean am I supposed to go to the forum every time I want to change it? Every time I change the car? Am I supposed to memorize all the mappings for all the cars? WTF? It's not that difficult to understand and even implement. And I get the feeling that it's being omitted by Kunos for some weird arbitrary reason. As someone mentioned before, a short description like "ECU 5 - wet map, regular throttle curve" would be more than enough and it is just a copy/paste ordeal, so no excuses plz.

POLLINFLAS and Neilski like this.