1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

PHYSICS ECU maps implementation

Discussion in 'ACC Blog' started by Aristotelis, Jan 16, 2019.

1. NemethR

NemethR Hardcore Simmer

I don't get the question. What do you mean what happens after?

2. Vítor Sousa

Vítor Sousa Alien

They just need to send a text file to a translator who is paid by word. It's not rocket science. It's cheap

slatanek likes this.
  3. Luis Branco

Luis Branco Alien

According to Aristotelis, who addressed this issue some time ago in one of his youtube videos - please don’t ask me which, because I do not remember exactly which or when, but it was one of the first, if I’m not mistaken - the issue lays with having to translate to a dozen languages, or so, and not only 1 or 2 (publishing reasons).

As the terms used are of technical nature (setups, mechanicals, etc) it requires a dev with deep knowledge of all the physics (Aristotelis, in this case, if I’m correct) to review all the terms in all the languages with the corresponding translators, checking if the true meaning is correctly translated and give support to the translator who, very likely, doesn’t have technical knowledgable to be able to grasp the fundamentals to fully translate the concepts from one language to another.

Plus, Aristotelis is Greek, leaving in Italy and, usually, the translation is made from English to the other languages, so it will be difficult for him also, not having English as his natural language, and all that would be very time consuming.

In the forum and in his videos he can explain several things just in English, as best as he can.
    I think it’s about it, but please search Aris videos that, in one of them, he talks about it.

It’s not an excuse but just an explanation.
    Lazy devs :D

jaxx_za and lordpatou like this.
  4. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

Who formats and enters the text into the software ?

5. slatanek

slatanek Gamer

What happens when it's only done in English?

6. NemethR

NemethR Hardcore Simmer

Copy - Paste.

I still don't get it.
    I too do some translations from English to German and vice-versa for my company (not my main job, but...)
    Its very simple.

You get an excel sheet saying:
    Tthis text block goes "here" | Text in English | <Here comes the translation>
    Its really just copy-paste.

Vítor Sousa and slatanek like this.
  7. slatanek

slatanek Gamer

Seriously guys if u buy these excuses u must be deranged or something.

Polish translation in this game I can talk about with authority (native speaker). IT IS TERRIBLE. Noone bothers. So stop plz. Either they care about proper translation or they don't. If they don't (and it seems to me they don't drawing from the terrible polish translation) it shouldn't be a problem to do the descriptions in an equally sloppy manner. Or to just include it in plain English and call it a day. After all the info on this forum is also English only.

Vítor Sousa and NemethR like this.
  8. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

Somebody has to inter the text into software, I don't think its done verbally, well yet anyway.

9. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

So this is done by a person having "mind meld" capability with the computer having the ACC code in it ?

Guys, this takes someone with the skills to access the ACC code to do this,... but since I'm "deranged or something",...I'm done here, have fun.

10. slatanek

slatanek Gamer

Ur knowledge of how software is made must be minimal. Copying a block of text is not work. It's LITERALLY copy-paste. It has nothing to do with coding, it can be done by an intern, heck it could be done by anyone. It's at the very most a couple of hours to format the text correctly. Nothing more to it. It's that easy.

Vítor Sousa likes this.
  11. slatanek

slatanek Gamer

U r really funny being so defensive about it yet knowing sh*t about how development works.

Vítor Sousa likes this.
  12. NemethR

NemethR Hardcore Simmer

You do not have to do that at all, you just send back the translated sheet to the devs, and they can easily put it in (if they want).

It seems you do not have much knowledge about how a game is made / coded / structured.

Usually games consist of some larger files (data files).
    These mostly are just Archive files (like *.zip *.rar files)
    They contain within them a LOT of smaller files, textures, text, models, sounds, etc...
    The text files usually contain either text or properties of something, that can easily be changed, like this:

<Dry Tarmac
    Grip Value="5.0"
    Resistance="2.3"
    Abrasiveness="0.7"
    </Dry Tarmac>
    <Wet Tarmac>
    </Wet Tarmac>

and so on...
    If you want to change the grip value of dry tarmac, you simply enter a different value into the text file. The same goes for text in multiple languages.

Something like this:

/MainMenu button 1
    EN="Single Palyer Mode"
    DE="Einzelspielermodus"
    HU="Egyjátékos mód"

/MainMenu button 2
    EN="Multiplayer Mode"
    DE="Mehrspielermodus"
    HU="Többjátékos mód"

NOTE: The above "code" is totally made up, based on some real life experience, so this is NOT from the game.

So you really just take the text and enter it into the text files.
    And then you just copy the updated files into the archive file.
    For most games this is actually really that simple. For some others, special software is needed to be able to open these files, but a lot of games really only use zip files.

Of course, most competitive games, check if these files have been modified, and if so they either won't let you play, or will force-re-download the original file. - To prevent cheating.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Vítor Sousa and slatanek like this.
  13. slatanek

slatanek Gamer

U r absolutely right. Kunos uses JSON files so u can edit them with a notepad but even if it was baked into the codebase it wouldn't be rocket science. They use C++ or C# (whichever UE4 engine uses), both those languages have a STRING class making use of text in ur code trivial (we're not talking embedded systems here where u have to operate on char arrays to save system resources, then it would be actual work). So either:
    a) they are wrong in their stubbornness with this
    or
    b) they are lazy???

Now I don't believe for a moment someone who made a world class piece of software like ACC might be lazy. Game development, racing simulation especially, is a gargantuan task and requires years of effort. So I say "a" is the answer

Vítor Sousa likes this.
  14. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

Sounds like entering data into software code, is now done by elves late at night, a least according to some "experts" here, no people required.

15. Vítor Sousa

Vítor Sousa Alien

It's a text file. Even a kid could do it. The hardest part here is to pay to the translators

slatanek and NemethR like this.
  16. NemethR

NemethR Hardcore Simmer

I do think, that you have a different meaning in mind for what you write, then what we get from it.

Sure a person is required to do this, BUT it would not take much time, for someone who knows how this is done.
    (Compared to for example making textures, 3D models, tweaking sound, etc...)
    I would guess it would take less then 1 hour to put the translated text into the game.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    slatanek likes this.
  17. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

One hour to enter how many different languages ?

And how long reply to all of the technical inaccuracies that members here will post, right or wrong, and preferences, like PSI for the Russian version for example ?

Look I get it, not a real big project, but much a like an iceberg, a lot bigger when one gets close.

That's what I'm trying to get across, but obviously, not very well.

18. lordpatou

lordpatou Simracer

Devs give us an explanation. If you don't beleive it what Can we do. They certainly wan't to bother you because...why not?
    Or maybe it's realy Time consuming work (not to insert the text but to check if it mean what it should mean).

Evrybody has his own thruth.

LATE4APEX likes this.
  19. AndyK70

AndyK70 Alien

Your post tells me you never ever had to fit terms into a graphical game UI, which is nothing compared to normal Windows Forms or WPF UI, let alone an Excel sheet.

LATE4APEX likes this.
  20. Luis Branco

Luis Branco Alien

Thanks for not asking for Aris video where he talks about it, but, still, here it is.:)

So, check Aristoteles words about it in his video below, starting from 2:36:20, near the end of the video

EsxPaul and jaxx_za like this.