1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Energy levels after racing in ACC

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Tobus, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Tobus

Tobus Racer

Ok, this may be a weird topic, might be a technical one taking into account visual hardware, but here it is:

I love racing in ACC, although I'm not keen on setup stuff, so racing on aggressive setups with only tire pressures managed to get proper pressures and temps. I can hold my own against AI at 89-90% and in multiplayer generally happy with finishing in the top half of the roster.

After a good stint racing of 1 to 2 hours, I'm DEAD TIRED. My eyes feel burning and I could litterally fall asleep on the spot. I don't have this on any other games, intense as they may be (I can go Left4Dead or TeamFortress2 for hours and not have any energy dips). I have played around with some graphical settings but up to this point without much effect.

Can anyone attest to this and found something in graphical settings to alleviate? Or is it just my body trying to compensate my lacking skills with pure bodily energy ;-) ?

grandepunto, GONKO and Liakitsos like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres Request/Suggestion: ERS Energy Limit (instead of current time limit) Nov 20, 2017
    Physics Bugs & Issues 919 Hybrid releasable energy/lap wrong Nov 28, 2016
    Physics Bugs & Issues Exaggerated collision energy transferred 1.1.6 Jun 13, 2015
    Liveries Sareni camaro monster energy May 28, 2015
    Liveries Monster energy mp4-12c gt3 skin. Jul 26, 2014
    Sounds modding Renault energy f1 v6 engine sound mod for assetto corsa by kingyardie Jul 15, 2014
    Liveries Bmw m3 e30-monster energy Jul 15, 2014
    3D car models Ktm x-bow r rockstar energy skin Jun 30, 2014
    3D car models Ktm x-bow r monster energy skins beta Jun 30, 2014
    Liveries McLaren MP4-12C Monster Energy Skin Jun 16, 2014
    Liveries Redxdragon carpark - 2014 gp2 amp energy May 5, 2014
    Liveries 458 s3 Monster Energy *V2* (release) Mar 18, 2014
    Liveries 458 s3 Monster Energy (release) [first ever attempt] Mar 9, 2014
    Liveries mclaren mp412c gt3 rockstar energy Feb 18, 2014
    Liveries bmw m3 e92 MONSTER ENERGY by Ken Block skin Jan 23, 2014

3. Poloman

Poloman Racer

Well its normal to feel tired after a good 2hour session,especially if you are close racing.

For me after moving to DDwheel and VR, an hour stint feels like i am racing for real, and having done 4hrs of a 9hr race felt extremely exhausting.

Clive Morrison and Tobus like this.
  4. C#27

C#27 Gamer

Simracing can be quite demanding, both physically and mentally. Depending on your experience with simracing titles, getting tired most likely has little to do with graphical settings. Of course, if you have to opt for low graphic settings, then maybe your eyes might struggle after a while. But medium to high settings should usually be fine. If you are running VR that might be different, I don't have experience there.

What is usually more demanding is processing the inputs we get to keep the cars on the limit. In most cases we are limited to visual inputs and the force feedback from the wheel. If you are using a controller, then you are mostly limited to visual inputs only. These visual inputs demand your eyes and mental capacity. A good force feedback setup, but more importantly experience in understanding the force feedback intuitively, will lower the mental load while driving from my experience. In general it can be said that with experince you will feel more comfortable and won't get tired as quickly. But when you are starting out and are still learning and trying to understand all the information thrown at you it can be quite tiring. I am able to go 3h straigth without big issues, but I shure need a shower afterwards.

5. mikocchio

mikocchio Gamer

Indeed ACC is a demanding activity.
    You could try and wear lightly tinted sunglasses ("driving glasses"). I use my photochromic ones that, being inside, are still sligthly darker than normal clear prescription glasses. During the pauses, point your sight out of the window towards the horizon, to rest from near focussing.
    As for muscle fatigue, i advise you to train in smaller chunks (e.g. half an hour of driving, ten minutes relax and stretching, repeat). Verify that your seating position is correct (seating close to the wheel with legs correctly stretched helps). If you can, train your calves (standing raises, rope jump) and/or jog (interval training).
    After some months of this routine, I am still tired after a long session, but not exhausted, and the day after I am ready to drive again.

6. marph

marph Gamer

This is also something I experienced especially having VR and motion. Even after a intense 20 minute race my body starts to swet and it feels like I have done hard work.
    Its a fantastic simulator and if you always want to drive on the edge of grip you really have to work on the steeringwheel. I found myself strengthening my stomachmuscles when driving through eau rouge for example :-D
    Physical fitness is definitely a point.

7. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

From my own experience: If you are still "struggling" with the driving, the car/the track itself, it is really a challenge. Recently I did a race against the AI in Zandvoort - it was 60min of fun, joy, everything in flow - hardly exhausted.

8. Turk

Turk Alien

I count ACC as exercise. I still get adrenaline dumps at the start of online races, I haven't been able to spend enough time in sim for it to become mundane yet. I'm racing every fortnight at best. I'd spend about 3 to 6 hours in sim when I get the chance over a weekend.

During a race I'm sweating, by the end of a session I'm sore, my shoulders are sore, I can feel that I've been pumping the brake peddle. It's a lot of mental drain though, concentrating that much for that long turns your brain into a power hog. Like any computational device if you use it a lot it burns through a lot of energy. Every time you go through a corner your brain is processing whether you did it good or bad and how you can do it better next time.

AndyK70 likes this.
  9. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

While it is phyiscally demanding, I have the effect that I don't feel exhausted until I'm 100% dead. I recall every single endurance race (even a 12h one) where I'm clearly not ready to hand over the car after my stint, or double stint.

Obviously it's important to feel good, and imo the consistency is the key component. Be able to drive without major errors for 2 hours isn't something that comes for free, but is so rewarding.

10. Tobus

Tobus Racer

Thanks for your comments, guys. I deliberately didnt mention my specs to not "steer" your answers, as they are top and I drive with maxed out settings. I dont use VR, but do use trackir.
    The tiredness is mostly in the eyes. I can get hot and a bit sweaty, but the eyes are the most present after 1hr or more racing.

11. Guidofoc

Guidofoc Alien

My experience is that if I prepare well for a multiplayer race (doing 2-3 training races against AI to learn the track and basic setup) then when the actual race comes i am only focusing on racing instead of driving and that is less "draining".

12. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

I feel the lack of water after a while. Can't drink in VR due to the HMD blocking the bottle. I'm going to get a Camelbak water container with hose which I can grab while driving.

13. Cirith Ungol

Cirith Ungol Simracer

I had a 2 hour race last week at Spa, I can tell you that when you push for 2 hours and you have 3 track limits warning after 20min of racing your mind is completly empty after the race. :D And that's a great thing I feel, finishing the race without any incident and with a good pace definitely felt like an achievement. :p

14. Milthael

Milthael Rookie

It definitely sounds like something is off to me when you describe it mainly as burning eyes. Long sessions in ACC can be very exhausting indeed, probably a bit more than FPS gaming due to the extra physical involvment of the body, but if you don't feel your eyes burning after hours of playing other games I don't think you should feel such a noticeable difference in just the eyes so do take care of your eyes and try to find a solution.

I remember when I started simracing I got fatigued eyes and tensed my forehead a lot while driving, this disappeared immediately after adjusting my FOV in the games. Try adjusting your FOV (increase and decresase, not necessarily the technically correct FOV) and drive for a while and pay extra attention to how your eyes feel while driving.
    Another thing that comes to my mind is the framerate, can you check so you don't have a very low framerate while driving? A very low framerate could be extremely taxing for the eyes (just think about how incredibly annoying it is to watch a flickering screen).

15. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

I have glasses specifically specked and anti glare for my computer use.

Has helped me.

Turk likes this.
  16. GONKO

GONKO Racer

Racing in ACC is very demanding indeed. It requires FULL concentration and all of your attention.
    After a race I sometimes get up out of the seat frazzled, zoned out as I walk over to make a coffee or something. I wouldn't have it any other way lol.

17. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Racer

I also noticed that ACC is more demanding on the eyes. Maybe it has something to do with the general lower framerate and the blurriness of the unreal engine.
    When I switch to rF2 everything looks sharper in a way and it feels so smooth and much more easy on the eyes. Just my experience.

Still having fun in both sims.

18. Nev Roberts

Nev Roberts Racer

I have to wear glasses so my optometrist had a pair made for the precise distance of my eyes from my monitor. I found it very helpful.

Turk, AndyK70 and LATE4APEX like this.
  19. Luis Branco

Luis Branco Alien

Racing in GT4 league, with 1-hour practice, 20 min qualify and 1-hour race and, usually, wishing the races could be a bit longer (+30 min).
    But, as others have said, ACC is fabulous to take work out of mind, it's a very good mind cleansing. :D:D

PLebre likes this.
  20. Georg Siebert

Georg Siebert Simracer

- track km for muscle memory so you have left over mental capacity to relax
    - physical training (streching before & after the race, running, cycling, swimming, etc)
    - drink during the race (!) (water, orange/apple juice, coffee only for sprint races, NO SODA)
    - nutrition (vegs/fruit/bananas, energy drinks/bars, carbohydrates for endurance, if deficient: vitamin D suppliment (recommended are 20 µg/day (90% of vitamin D is converted through the skin with UVB light, only 10% through nutrition, sitting indoors during quarantine wouldn't have helped))
    - display color temperature correction to 3400K (Monitor settings, in GPU drivers, Win10 tool, f.lux)
    - eliviate eye sore (focus/eye movement excercise, regular screen breaks, Berberil N drops)

Seek professional advice for anything medicine related.

Olivier Boissel and Aristotelis like this.
  21. Turk

Turk Alien

These two posts are probably a good indication that it would probably be a good idea to go to an optician as it could just be an eye condition that's easily corrected by glasses.

LATE4APEX likes this.