1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Generic Finally...consistency!

Discussion in 'Console Lounge' started by Dave53, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Dave53

Dave53 Racer

I never realised just how satisfying it is to simply achieve ‘consistency’ in lap times.

By our community standards, they are probably not massively quick, but lap after lap within half a second - and no offs - is awesome fun.

Now I am gradually building speed, locking in braking points, and hitting apex’s quite reliably.

Y’just never stop learning...right?

2. Radfahrer

Radfahrer Hardcore Simmer

Good to hear, Dave, keep working those cars, cause from here on out it´ll be only more and more fun.
    Before you´ll know it you´ll have skillwalls and breakthroughs on those walls too .

Dave53 likes this.
  3. Bultaco85

Bultaco85 Rookie

Same here, consistency in Assetto is something that we only get with hardwork.

Dave53 likes this.
  4. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

think that is part of the learning. first i did "pedal to the metal", braking as hard as i can, throwing the screaming car round the corner and feeling like a hero to finish a lap without spinning too often....
    second was this thing with the penalties.... grrr....track limits from hell!
    then getting faster. ONE fast lap. please please!
    and then what you mention.
    driving same lap times. doing the same things at the same corners.
    and for me: realizing - i feel like a racing hero, but i am totally chaotic.....
    i did sometimes 2 good laps at nords.
    my "dream" is to do a clean race there. one or two hours of good action. but with family its not soo easy.

marcinmarcin79 and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  5. Dave53

Dave53 Racer

Cheers mate...I appreciate that. What’s a skillwall ??

6. Dave53

Dave53 Racer

Are you like my long lost twin?

Your thoughts here are exactly my experience!!

It’s incredibly rewarding to arrive at a corner, after braking from absolutely ‘flat out’, ready to turn in - and without a hint of understeer.

And then do it again...and again...

Who would have thought!

sissydriver likes this.
  7. Dave53

Dave53 Racer

Absolutely! No substitute for ‘hours behind the wheel’!!

marcinmarcin79 likes this.
  8. ManuCfr

ManuCfr Rookie

For me the gratification has come more from actually learning to read what the *****s on the public lobbies will do and avoid it in order not to totally wreck my race. For instance being extra cautious at the start in case the guy in front just doesn't start and I end up crashing into him, or see when a huge wreckage in front develops in order to pass unharmed. At first these things always used to catch me off guard but slowly I read the situations better and end up being able to avoid them with a bit more consistency. To be frank, times are not my forte, and if I could do a 1:51 in monza or a 2:24 in spa with your average GT3 car 5 months ago, I'm pretty much the same now. Haven't been able to catch up with the aliens who almost bring down those times by 10 secs (I can't even fathom how they do it, a lot of setup and flawless driving? )

Dave53 likes this.
  9. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Novice: fast in, slow out
    Advanced: slow in, fast out
    Pro: fast in, fast out
    Alien: fast in, fast through, fast out

Happy steep learning curve.

sissydriver and Dave53 like this.
  10. Dave53

Dave53 Racer

I think I’m somewhere between Advanced and Pro ;)

11. Radfahrer

Radfahrer Hardcore Simmer

A "skillwall" is something that will be encountered by any driver at some point of their experience, like getting the hang of heel-to-toeing or suddenly being able to perfectly pre-throw/pre-align cars into corners via brake-weight shift and minimal steering input compared to pure steering turn in, stuff like that . Every person driving will have a "skillwall" rearing up in front of them all of a sudden, that negates getting faster, like reaching a plateau in skill .
    And then one day you just go and break through that wall and start climbing higher/getting faster.

12. dawg

dawg Racer

Depends on the car I'm driving. :D

For instance, with the BMW M3 E30 Gr.A 92 on the Red Bull Ring I manage a time around 1.41. With the Ferrari F138 I'll only manage a 1.11 at most, whilst I see other people "quite easily" drive a 1.06 of 1.07 or something. And the guys in Formula One drive even faster than that.

13. ManuCfr

ManuCfr Rookie

I'm always pretty much 5 seconds behind the fastest guys on tracks I know well and maybe 10 on tracks i Don't know so well. However I don't do setups and I think some of them must , otherwise I can't explain it.

14. Dave53

Dave53 Racer

Yep! These I know well ;)

15. Gysepy

Gysepy Gamer

Setup is not everything but it certainly helps an aweful lot. Having a good balanced car will help you to start pushing, when you have a nervous car its in the back of your mind all the time so you break a little too early, put in too much steering angle and get on the throttle to early or too late.

One thing I will say is get the track down in your head, use your periferal vision for your breaking points, before turn in you should be already looking at the apex, once you hit the apex you should be already looking at the exit spot. All this of course without touching a single setup option other than gearing ratios, braking force and break balance.

Visually looking where you are going is the hardest thing I hadto do while sim racing. Check out:

watching these vids has made more consistent and able to push..

Find your groove with the base setups, be ablwe to do at least 5 - 10 laps within a couple of tenths of each other and then change things up dependinv on how you fell the car is driving.

Dave53 likes this.
  16. bradleyland

bradleyland Hardcore Simmer

There are two broad categories that will make you faster. The first category I call technical aspects, can be learned through rote practice. This is stuff like racing line, braking points, eye focus, apex & exits. These can be learned through research and plain old instruction.

The second category I call vehicle handling, which I find more elusive. If technical aspects are like learning to play guitar hero, vehicle handling is like juggling. It’s a combination of timing and learning your own techniques. Broadly speaking vehicle handling is a set of techniques you use to get the car to rotate the way you want it to, hence following the line you leaned in technical aspects.

Vehicle handling techniques can be much harder to explain, and even harder to learn by observation. No amount of video review will tell you how a steering wheel feels in your hand. To make matters more difficult, the language used to describe many techniques is expressive and easy to misinterpret.

I recommend spending time in chat parties with fast players who are willing to answer questions. Focus on specific cars and circuits, asking questions about how they’re setting up for a corner. Ask them about how the car feels, rather than focusing on things like braking and turn-in points.

Just my $0.02, best of luck out there!

StyleF1re and Dave53 like this.
  17. ManuCfr

ManuCfr Rookie

Cool stuff guys, highly appreciated.

18. Dave53

Dave53 Racer

19. Dave53

Dave53 Racer

Thanks mate...more great info and advice! Much appreciated!!

20. dawg

dawg Racer

How I learned to drive is quite easy actually. Three things did the trick for me, but it's quite different from what I've read here. :rolleyes:

1. Do races, don't do hotlaps. With racing you have to be far more flexible because of the other cars on the track, and flexibility is good. :D
    2. Switch between cars, and play with setting up cars. If you switch & setup cars often, you have to adapt to a new driving style, car handling, reaction time. Good for flexibility. :p
    3. Learn to drift. If you can drift, it's easier to reach optimal potential in races, because you're more sure of yourself that you'll be able to catch the car. That gives flexibility, which is good. :cool:

And most importantly: have fun!
    In the mean time: 1.10,2. Few more seconds to go. :)

Dave53 likes this.