1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

First time with Setup

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Burnleyhome, May 10, 2020.

1. Burnleyhome

Burnleyhome Racer

I've been racing for a while with 410 hours at ACC.
    I drive the Aston V8. Its very safe and forgiving.
    I normally use the aggressive setup then change the tire pressures to get 28 on each after about 5 laps.
    My normal lapping pace is 2:22 with a spread of around 0.5 secs.
    Thought I would try out playing with setups at SPA today.

I've asked for advice before and haven't played with setups as most advice is don't play until you are 2-3 secs compared to fastest. Since 2:17's are fastest, then I'm 5 secs off.
    On the other hand, I've been at this pace for a while and tried slightly different lines, braking earlier, later, more apex speed, earlier on throttle, etc, but cannot get faster than 2:21. I've watched alot of YouTube vids and compared my lines / speeds, and they all look similar (Aris' SPA from Friday easily doing 2:18's while chatting).
    Maybe I've plateau'd and this is my actual driving ability pace, or I'm not practicing right.
    I'm having alot of fun with the game against AI, online and CP races.

Anyway..

I went to Hotlap mode to see what my changes did.
    I started off lapping at 2:22 - 2:23, which is normal for me.
    I read the setup guide from Skaven to get pointers.

My driving gives me the impression that I understeer. Main reason for this is Motec indicating is and that I slide on entry to corners when trying to take them fast. If I make sure I slow enough down to avoid sliding, then I lose 0.5-1 second.

I took it slow, changing one thing at a time and drove 2 laps to see the change. As long as the 2 laps were close in timing, then they are valid.

I got down to 2:20.3 & 2:20.4 for my 2 laps with these changes:
    Front Toe from -0.1 to -0.3 (both left and right)
    Antiroll bar front from 3 to 1
    Antiroll bar rear from 3 to 6
    Wheel rate front from 145,000 to 165,000
    Wheel rate rear from 155,000 to 175,000

After getting these times, I went back to my default setup and lapped in
    2:21.3 & 2:21.4
    upload_2020-5-10_16-52-2.png

Telemetry shows that I'm only faster in a couple of corners
    upload_2020-5-10_16-50-29.png

I'm going to get round to watching the vids that Skaven mentioned, but reading is easier for me than watching, which is why I only started.

Are the changes that I made valid, or do they contradict each other?
    I know that if it makes me faster by helping my driving style or just placebo, then its good as faster is faster.

Skaven Zverov likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Editing screens individually, is it possible? Triple Monitor setup plugin. Apr 5, 2024
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions New To ACC and the setup on PS5 Nov 7, 2023
    ACC Tools ACC / OSR Setup Tool Web App (Open-Source-Racing.com) Aug 30, 2023
    ACC Tools ACC Setup Synchronizer May 26, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions All settings and setups vanished May 23, 2023
    ACC Tools Web-Based ACC Setup Tool for Sharing and Creating Setups May 11, 2023
    Screens & Videos ACC | Monza | HotLap + Setup | Ferrari 296 GT3 - 1:47.322 May 10, 2023
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Can you adjust monitors specifically for triple monitor setup? May 1, 2023
    ACC Hardware Discussions Motion not as smooth on side monitors as middle monitor - Triple Monitor Setup (with high FPS!) Mar 22, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Game briefly freezes and shows the setup screen during driving Feb 13, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Generic car setups Feb 7, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions when are we getting the next Update ? Setups still broken Jan 13, 2023
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC - SETUP BUNDLE | ALL Tracks | Ferrari 488 GT3 EVO Jan 11, 2023
    Chit Chat Room Avis/conseils pour upgrader mon setup VR Dec 27, 2022
    XBox One Discussions Restore AC restore car default setup Dec 16, 2022

3. mashmashbeep

mashmashbeep Gamer

I'm in the same position, lapping spa at 2:22.. with the LMS EVO. I'll try your changes and see how they go.

4. Skaven Zverov

Skaven Zverov Simracer

There is a good video, from which i will take how to make a setup, and put it in the Guide, it is called Let's make a custom setup, with Aristotelis, and it will help you better understand everything from the guide, implemented in the actual setup.

I will update the guide in the next few days with "setup" chapter, be sure to download it when it's up :D

It is a good thing you made progress, thou, well done. Spa is one of the hardest to master, i think. I may be wrong, but it is very hard for me too, i need to sqeeze a lot to even make it in 2:19's...

And with setup changes, be sure to do more than 2 laps.

5. Burnleyhome

Burnleyhome Racer

I did my first 20min race yesterday with this setup and I got 2:21.1 - 2:21.9 throught, which is awesome for me.

It took around 1 hour of driving for me to get this, which is probably lucky.
    I'm gonna watch Aris' vids make changes.

Side thing is that this is a setup for AMR Vantage V8 with my driving style.

Skaven Zverov likes this.
  6. Skaven Zverov

Skaven Zverov Simracer

Well, of course, if you don't have the mechanic, you must be one, for your car and your driving style, that is the imperative.

Listen to what Aris says, what to watch while testing the setup, there is bunch of little things you can try, and always, always do just one thing.

Basically, you have a problem, you may do Anti Roll Bar changes, but don't do ARB changes, plus toe, plus dampers, you will never know which one did better, and which one did worse for the car handling. And always check your tyre pressures, because they will change.

Change one thing, test the car for 4, 5 laps, try to be consistent, see what changes did. If it has gotten worse, go back to the previous setting, try something else, try again a few laps. If the change did good, leave it, or push it until you see worsening effect. Best way to make it better.

sissydriver likes this.
  7. Burnleyhome

Burnleyhome Racer

Skaven,

I procedurally went step by step, changing one thing to see if it made it better or worse. I only did 2 laps, but the laps needed to be close in time.
    My mindset was to reduce turn-in understeer.
    I started with Toe from -0.1 to -0.2, then to -0.3. Since -0.4 is max, I went to the next item on the guidelines to see what else I could do. This was ARB, which I changed, then since that went down close to min for front and max for rear, I went to dampers.

What I need to do is to estimate the benefit per change.
    I was running out of time, which is why I didn't remove the toe after changing ARB and went straight to dampers, really just to see what they did.
    At the end, I went back to the original to validate that I wasn't just getting better on the track.
    Throughout all testing, the tire pressures were fine. I was hotlapping to try to remove the tires from the equation. I guess I'm not taking into consideration that if a setup change overheats my tires after 2 laps though.

I know that this is a long process and that I skipped a step, but I'll go back and rectify this.

I'll watch Aris' vid as that will be great and I'm sure I'll get more out of it since I've gone over a few things.

Thanks immensely for your guide. It helped me to at least find 3 items that I can play with instead of a huge number of variables and 'what to change'.
    Cheers mate

EsxPaul and Skaven Zverov like this.
  8. Skaven Zverov

Skaven Zverov Simracer

No problem, glad it helped :)

Yeah, tyres temp constantly change....with changes in settings, so, be careful. At the end, that is the whole point, fast, good handling, optimal tyre temps. Have fun! :D

The video will help tremendously, too.