1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

FOV clarification

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by s2173, Feb 4, 2016.

1. s2173

s2173 Gamer

I need some pointers and clarification about FOV in Assetto Corsa... see, I'm not really sure AC actually uses vertical FOV.

My correct vertical FOV would be 46 - and in Stock Car Extreme, it seems to be right, apexes go where I would expect, and I feel comfortable in the car, I easily hit my turn-in and braking points.

If, however, I set Assetto Corsa to 46, it for start looks vastly different than SCE - well, lets say the seating position is different. Next, driving feels generally horrible - car feels understeery, I'm scared to push, I cant hit any apexes, I constantly brake too early or too late.

For a while I was not sure what was wrong, but recently I randomly got a FOV of 55 - and suddenly everything is vastly different and comfortable, and I enjoy driving in AC again. So... I guess 46 is way too low. 55 might be couple degrees too high, cars feel bit oversteery now, but I like it.

How is FOV calculated then in AC? It might actually be extremely important to know. To note - I dont have triple screens, and I can't use the ingame app.

EDIT: never mind, it seems the calculator is wrong... And in a roundabout way I can use triple screen rendering to calculate my single screen FOV, which is exactly 51.5... This calculator http://www.edracing.com/edr/FOV.php gives correct values.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Bug reports acc fov bug Apr 2, 2024
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions FFB and FOV Jul 20, 2023
    ACC User Interface Optimal Fov for curved monitor Mar 25, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions FOV Jun 14, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions FOV Jun 9, 2022
    ACC User Interface Can we get monitor curvature FOV adjustment like iRacing? May 22, 2022
    General modding discussion How to change Onboard FOV with python Mar 12, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions No 2021 Season, no FOV available Feb 24, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions Triple screen FOV setting tied to which view ? Feb 15, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions T300RS GT. FOV. Questions Jan 19, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions DEFAULT FOV? Dec 26, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality New FHolger mod - foveated VR Dec 23, 2021
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Trees Dissapearing/Reappearing [Extreme FOV setup] Nov 29, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting Enabling AMD FSR alters FOV [FSR disables projection correction] Nov 25, 2021
    XBox One Discussions FOV setting problem Sep 15, 2021

3. NightEye

NightEye Alien

Just out of curiousity, if your correct FOV is that high on a single monitor, how big is it? :p

4. ouvert

ouvert Alien

that calculator seems to be calculating correctly and FOV in AC and GSC should be the same ... if you don`t consider seating, are proportions and distances the same? if you load the same track on both games and place yourself to the same possition .. also if you have single screen and your FOV is 46 .. you must be like sitting 59cm far from 40 inch screen (or under 50 from 32inch screen, etc) ... is it the case or are you putting incorrect numbers into calculator ? what the size of your screen and how far do you sit ?

5. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

6. s2173

s2173 Gamer

21 inch monitor, 30 cm from my eyes. It was not the calculator, it was my error... first, the monitor is 21.5 inches, not 21, second, its 16:10, not 16:9... Still, GSCE feels and looks abit different. But 51.5 is my correct fov for sure... And it feels nice.

I also completely reinstalled the game, as in uninstalling and installing it again... It made significant differences on all fronts. I guess "verify cache" doesnt do a thing whatsoever.

7. ouvert

ouvert Alien

man, it is your eyes and your bussines but 30cm is crazy close ..

8. s2173

s2173 Gamer

No, its not a problem... its lcd monitor... are you looking at your smartphone from arm's length? What about oculus then, its less then 5 cm I would guess...

9. ouvert

ouvert Alien

my phone has pixel density 368PPI and I`m looking at it from 35-45cm distance ... fullHD PC screen has pixel density usualy under 100PPI ..probably around 90PPI
    Also the heat from a screen is much higher, the brightness typically too, you are are focusing on very close distance, pretty much on the edge of average human eye minimum focus distance, that is putting your eyes under stress ..
    So there is a significant difference ... but as I say ... you eyes - your bussiness .. play the way you enjoy it! :)

and oculus is working in different way and can`t be comparet to it at all

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  10. rycil

rycil Simracer

30cm? Really? Does it mean that you have the wheel behind the screen?

You'd better to have an oculus rift because at that so small distance any move of your head will have a significant impact on your perception of the world.

11. ouvert

ouvert Alien

[​IMG]

12. s2173

s2173 Gamer

Problem is the price tho... I can get realistic FOV without looking through a letterbox or spending around 1500-2000 dollars. Current setup cost me around 10 bucks. For 20 more bucks I made myself aluminium pedals with clutch, I made the brake feel pretty close to loadcell, and also an h-shifter that is probably significantly better than g-27 one.

The picture above is just driving with wrong FOV... :D

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    Johnnypenso likes this.
  13. To give you an idea, I have a 27 inch monitor with the wheel right in front of it and I can't go any higher than 37 FOV, and that's with the seat right forward. I think the FOV calculator resulted in something a lot smaller.

Johnnypenso and Seria17hri11er like this.
  14. ouvert

ouvert Alien

Yep and for my 22 (also 16:10 as OPs) with bezel touching the wheel base and reasonable 50cm distance it is 33 vFOV

15. s2173

s2173 Gamer

My monitor is 20 cm infront of the steering wheel, lower bezel is on level with the top of the wheel.

Heres a picture taken with a potato:

IMG_20160203_190031.jpg

When I'm not racing, I remove the wheel from the table and push the monitor to the side.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    NightEye likes this.
  16. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Alien

For a ingame value, such as default 56º, lateral FOV is dependent on the monitor's aspect ratio, and this can be a bit confusing when set on other than the intended AR (possibly 16:9).
    On a 16:9 1920x1080 monitor I can see more to the sides than in the other 16:10 1680x1050 with the same FOV value set. Instead of having more fov up and down on 16:10, 5:4, 3:4, the lateral image is cropped while keeping similar "height".

If the same 16:10 1680x1050 monitor is set with a 16:9 resolution (1680x945) with black bars over and under, FOVs will match. Else, approximately 62.2 on a 16:10 resolution at 1:1 will be needed to match the same 56 on native 16:9 (and respectively, a 16:10 resolution set at 56 has approximately the same lateral view as a 16:9 set to 52.3).

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  17. ouvert

ouvert Alien

Well it is vertical FOV so it kind of make sense it would be higher on 16:10 screen

18. Sorry, I don't quite understand that comment and photo. Are you saying that you drive with the steering wheel behind the monitor? :confused:

esox71 likes this.
  19. esox71

esox71 Alien

Gee....that's tight.

20. s2173

s2173 Gamer

Yes, exactly. Why not? I also turn on the ingame steering wheel and set it so it matches... pretty nice if you ask me.

21. NightEye

NightEye Alien

That clarifies it all :D
    Must be quite immersive, playing like that. Might be a huge strain for the eye, but you're the only one who can feel and act accordingly so who are we to blaim you for this setup? :)