1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Getting good with old cars

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by ApexPredator, Oct 28, 2016.

1. ApexPredator

ApexPredator Gamer

Hello guys! I'm having huge problems to play with cars like those Maserati f1 or other similar cars. I've seen people on youtube that are pretty crazy with them, sliding them around and all. It's necessary just a ton of practice or are there a setup to make things a little easier. I can barely race straight with them, which sucks. I really want to be able to race them. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Gameplay Tyres getting cold while waiting in race menu Apr 4, 2019
    Chit Chat Room Getting brake data to look right in Track Attack Dec 4, 2023
    ACC General Discussions Which game to play and advice for getting good Oct 9, 2023
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues I keep getting kicked from races Apr 13, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions when are we getting the next Update ? Setups still broken Jan 13, 2023
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Getting crash, when launching AC as 64bit. Nov 3, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Xbox Series S - keep getting kicked from GPortal. Sep 17, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Keep getting Fatal Error [faulty RAM] Sep 12, 2022
    ACC Multiplayer Keep getting disconnected Mid Race Aug 31, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Interested in getting a copy also on console, but is telemetry data saved somehow? Jul 12, 2022
    ACC Physics Please Devs fix the contact system, it's getting more and more frustrating to race like this Jul 6, 2022
    ACC Physics Getting stuck in second on Indianapolis exiting turn 11 Jul 4, 2022
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards New SimRacer having problems getting first TR Mar 27, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions So when are we getting version 1.8? Mar 7, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions This is the version we’re getting. Feb 22, 2022

3. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Hmm. They takes practice, adjusting driving style.

With 250F you have to modulate throttle and adjust steering a lot. It is not a GT3 car, and tires are a bit less advanced, you can't put huge loads on them, you have to apply throttle gradually.

Get good at catching slides and then counter steering. It just takes practice. Some older cars requires some throttle feathering through some corners, because of engine braking, engine braking can cause a handbrake effect if you coast too hard.

In a lot of cases it is not the best to lift off throttle and slam on the brakes immediately, especially with non-downforce cars at high speeds. Usually it is better to have some fade from one to another. I guess that is called trail braking, I never learn lol

Sometimes it nice to have some throttle steering, but you have to be good at counter steering from oversteer.

Do you use heel and toe technique ?

ApexPredator and Stepy like this.
  4. Stepy

Stepy Racer

Im not very good with old manual cars either, been driving the cayman gt4 alot and then jumped in the 911 and found it quite tricky. My biggest problem would be downshifting & braking for slow corners...

ApexPredator likes this.
  5. Orne

Orne Alien

I drive the 250F 6C off and on, mostly at Zandvoort. Take it slow and increase your speed over time combined with a lot of practice and patience. Braking and accelerating in a straight line is a good idea. Some have suggested the 12C version is easier to try. Might be wise to try the 6c and 12c to determine which one suits you best. Either way the learning curve is steep although not insurmountable.

You might also try reducing the rear tyre pressure a bit to improve handling until you get a better feel for the car. The 250F is a great teacher and will improve your driving skills in every other car in Assetto Corsa for sure.

ApexPredator and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  6. fabT

fabT Alien

i'd say 12C is much easier.

ApexPredator likes this.
  7. This is probably why I am not very good with the old Maserati F1 cars either. I drive every single one of my cars in exactly the same way, and only adjust the degree of throttle/braking etc. Contrary to Fabrizio's comment above, I find the 6C slightly easier to control than the 12C, although use of the term "easier" here is relative. They are both extremely hard work!! Mind you, I managed to get the 6C around the Nordschleife Tourist track without crashing. The lap time was crap, but at least I did it!

ApexPredator likes this.
  8. Obizzz

Obizzz Racer

I don't claim to be an expert on these cars but I find this to be very true. In modern race cars it's pretty much full throttle from apex to exit. You just can't do that with the older cars. Same goes for braking, you have to be very gentle. Just take it slowly and build up the speed, I don't think there is a magical solution to drive them fast.

ApexPredator likes this.
  9. Orne

Orne Alien

I'd love to see the old GPL luddites have a go with the 250F. They'd probably run screaming from the room wishing for their beloved Lotus 49! :D:p

Check out the book "Going Nowhere Fast In Assetto Corsa" the author has a nice write up on the 250F and other cars in AC.

ApexPredator likes this.
  10. Orne

Orne Alien

Amazes me how these guys were able to wrestle these cars around the Ring. :eek:

ApexPredator likes this.
  11. Turk

Turk Alien

The Maserati doesn't do straight lines, it's like a dog with a short attention span, if you don't constantly tell it exactly what to do it will take a sharp turn towards the bushes to see what's happening in there.

A bit! It's like stone tools vs iPhones. :D

The system I worked out for myself on Monza 66 was, Brake in a straight line, the first input on the wheel is just to tell the car which general direction you want it to go, left or right. Once it's starts making that turn you spend the rest of the corner counter steering because it's seen a cat in the car park and wants to chase it.

12. ApexPredator

ApexPredator Gamer

Wow! Guys, that's very helpful. A lot of good answers. So that's it. I can do heel and toe, but my counter steering sucks. LOL! I guess it's time to adress this. I'm going to start practicing with it for a while.