1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Gfx settings - expert advice required

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Shaun Clarke, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Shaun Clarke

Shaun Clarke Alien

Hi All,

Just wanted to see what people think. I know you will say, it's all down to you, but sometimes it's not. I want to make sure, for my system, I am getting, visually and smooth the best settings for my hardware, and I know, there is more experienced people out there.

Basically, what I am looking for, is a good, standard base to start with. I have played and tweaked so much, I don't think AC is looking as polished as it should.

So the Hardware, please see pictures.
    CPU.jpg gfx.jpg memory.jpg Motherboard.jpg

Memory Picture didn't come out as well, but its, 2x8gb Ram (PC3-10700@667) and also 2x4gb Ram (PC3-10700@667).

So I was just asking, is there any settings people set in the Nivida CP and what could I get away with in AC.

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Fordman

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Troubleshooting How to reset gfx-settings to default settings? May 22, 2020
    ACC Hardware Discussions ACC could greatly benefit from adaptive GFX settings Apr 8, 2019
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds default graphic settings? (gfx/ pp) May 14, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Recommended GFX Settings May 3, 2016
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Only 24fps constantly, no more even at lowest gfx settings Mar 27, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Gfx settings ? Nov 7, 2014
    Chit Chat Room New gfx settings since upgrade Jul 27, 2014
    ACC Virtual Reality Weird gfx/colour Issue when using Oculus Rift. Mar 19, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality Really don't get the way GPU/GFX works in this game even with 50% overhead Jun 18, 2021
    ACC General Discussions Deep GFX config changes? Mar 13, 2019
    ACC Hardware Discussions ACC GFX discussion Nov 14, 2018
    Chit Chat Room 1/15/2018 minor gfx update. Mar 14, 2018
    Bug reports LaFerrari GFX glitches May 8, 2017
    Suggestions PP effects as individual GFX options Jan 1, 2017
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Audio/GFX Bugs with AMG GT3/312T + Tracks Aug 27, 2016

3. Yami

Yami Racer

Your CPU is OK, your GPU is at middle of Entry Gaming GPUs (performance wise can be OCed amazingly if you care, I would OC crap out of it)

I'll tell you which settings to sacriface and which to focus on.

Resolution is important, keep it at your Screens native resolution.
    Anti-Aliasing -> Disable with that GPU affect huge.
    Smoke on mirror -> Disable
    Mirror Resolution -> Medium
    Smoke production or something leave it Normal (cant really remember option, do not raise this tho)
    I beleive you can get all world details etc settings to High.
    Disable Motion blur (if you like it, keep it enabled tho)
    Reduce mirror reflection quality (I think there was an option for this)
    Reflection quality set to Normal, then you'll try High if FPS is fine.
    Reflection render time, Static (This affect FPS huge, static is lowest and raising it really lower fps dramaticly)
    Shadow Resolution (or it was named Quality) keep this Low

Start with these settings, if FPS is low
    First lower World details and such Effect dtails from high to Normal, normal tho low
    Than lower resolution

Side note:
    enable V-SYNC, only game I use V-SYNC is Assetto Corsa, never used it before or after AC but it really helps in AC (makes game smooth even tho I get higher FPS than 60, still better with VSYNC)
    but do this after your fps is higher than your set Refresh Rate [HZ] for your desired Resolution. (Usually it is 60Hz so 60FPS if you do not know what I am talking about)

Good Luck.

4. Shaun Clarke

Shaun Clarke Alien

Hi Yami,

Many thanks for your speedy reply. I have always been tentative on over clocking ( did this with the old AMD's back in the day) so don't really want to go down this road.

I have actually had the game running with the following, which goes against what your saying. Anyway, please dicect the below for me. Although I know how to fix servers, install a whole computer system, Prince2 Qualified, these details, are now over my head. Again, thanks for your input and help, i.e whats the difference between Score 1 (with AA and AF @ Max) and the other scores, with AA and AF off, but FXAA on, this is where I am confused, and can you mix and match the two together.

AC VERSION: 1.3.4 (x64)
    FPS: AVG=73 MIN=33 MAX=100 VARIANCE=1 CPU=44%

LOADING TIME: 26s
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (1920x1080)
    OS-Version: 6.2.9200 () 0x100-0x1
    CPU CORES: 4
    FULLSCREEN: OFF
    AA:4X AF:16X SHDW:1024 BLUR:0
    WORLD DETAIL: 5 SMOKE:5
    PP: QLT:5 HDR:1 FXAA:0 GLR:4 DOF:5 RAYS:0 HEAT:0

FPS: AVG=86 MIN=43 MAX=137 VARIANCE=2 CPU=54%

LOADING TIME: 14s
    FULLSCREEN: ON
    AA:1X AF:0X SHDW:1024 BLUR:0
    PP: QLT:5 HDR:1 FXAA:1 GLR:4 DOF:5 RAYS:0 HEAT:0

FPS: AVG=80 MIN=7 MAX=137 VARIANCE=2 CPU=52%

AA:1X AF:0X SHDW:2048 BLUR:0

FPS: AVG=69 MIN=36 MAX=136 VARIANCE=1 CPU=43%

AA:4X AF:4X SHDW:1024 BLUR:0

5. Yami

Yami Racer

are those min Values correct or they happen when game being initilazing ( it happens for me, low FPS for couple seconds)

Try this, it'll give you around 50+ FPS (I suppose)
    1920x1080
    AA 0
    AF 16x
    Shadow Resolution Low/Medium
    Effects quality, World Details etc, High
    Heat Shimers / Rays etc. everything ON
    Smoke Generation Medium
    Show smoke in Mirror -> NO
    Mirror Resolution Medium
    Reflection Quality Medium (drop to low if your min is lower than 60)
    Reflection Render Time (or something under Reflection quality scales as)
    Static-Low-Medium-High-Ultra, set this to Static.

if your min FPS is higher than 60, set it to Low and keep going.
    but set it to Static with these settings first.

You also can try leaving it Static if you do not really care about Reflections and try
    2XAA no FXAA and Reflection Render Static.

it is really hard to read all data from there for me, just try this.
    if I know about your GPU and my GPU's relative performance (280x)

This should get you around min 45-60 FPS (min is important, it should go below 55 in any situation)

For the overclock,
    do not overvolt your GPU, just overclock it, that is what I always do when it comes to GPUs,do not touch memory either.
    Your chip may be able to go 200-300mhz higher than it is set without any voltage difference. (my old gts 250 could do 1800 shader clock from 1400ish without voltage, and 850 mhz from 675mhz core)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  6. Shaun Clarke

Shaun Clarke Alien

I just ran the benchmark, and to be honest, I never noticed (my eyes) that low.

Again thank you for your help, but still trying to understand, what is FXAA all about, and what difference does that make. If I understand this, then I think I will also understand the whole GFX settings.

Like I said, can I use AA and AF and FXAA, or turn off AA and AF and enable FXAA or is it better to have AA and AF and disable FXAA.

Fordman

7. cooknn

cooknn Alien

My suggestion: Turn off FXAA. Use Anisotropic Filtering and Anti-Aliasing Samples. Also turn Smoke down to Normal and turn off HDR. I'm betting that you'll get a much more fluid experience.

LeDude83 likes this.
  8. Shaun Clarke

Shaun Clarke Alien

Thanks @cooknn but I have spent the last 10 mins looking for HDR....can I find it, that would be a NO!!!!!

HELP ROFL

9. Yami

Yami Racer

Ah you ask what is FXAA, AA and AF
    Okay let me try to explain as a gamer,
    FXAA blurs image to make it look smooth
    Anti-Aliasing takes samples of same frame to make it look smooth (corners of stuff etc.)
    as a gamer I do not want blur, (dramatic for FPS games)

Now more into it,
    MSAA (Multi Sample Anti Aliasing) does render image bigger than final image 2x, 4x etc. than combine them and downsample them to final image, therefore more smooth but affects FPS, If I am correct it abuses Memory Speed of GPU :p
    FXAA (Fast Aproximate Anti Aliasing) does I really do not know the algorythm for this but it looks at all the pixels in a frame, tries to detect possible edges and smooths them and sometimes fails but it is so fast nearly doesnt affect performance.

Anistropic Filter is something different.
    it basically makes far textures look Normal or Surfaces at extreme angles look Normal,I mean better.

EDIT:
    I think HDR is in PP-Filters, some has it some doesnt but I can be wrong.

10. Shaun Clarke

Shaun Clarke Alien

@Yami OK so when he said turn off HDR, he actually meant turn off PP Filter setting...that makes sense

Thank you for your explanation, Just made a few changes and WOW what a difference.

FPS: AVG=104 MIN=51 MAX=164 VARIANCE=4 CPU=62%

AA:4X AF:16X SHDW:1024 BLUR:0
    WORLD DETAIL: 5 SMOKE:4
    PP: QLT:5 HDR:0 FXAA:1 GLR:4 DOF:5 RAYS:0 HEAT:0

All sorted, thank you

Fordman

11. kro

kro Simracer

How is you image quality at those settings?

For me I get a bad shimmer unless I crank it up ..and to be honest AC dose not look all that good to me compared to other sims , people rave about it but its really not all that for me ..the cars them selves in SP look nice and interiors are nice but the over all look of the game (to me) seems lackluster .. in MP it looks even more shall I say , less then ideal .. :D but Im not in it for the looks ..lol

For me I can have awesome FPS and smooth as silk game play with most settings maxed & using nvids DSR ,its the only way I can get rid of the shimmer w/o DSR every far LOD has shimmer.. if I really cared about how it looked I would be un happy but when Im behind the wheel racing it all looks good ! Im not worried about the scenery when im racing ,I just want smooth game play .. for now im lucky enough to be able to crank things up and still have good FPS !

FPS: AVG=105 MIN=25 MAX=136 VARIANCE=1 CPU=55%
    LOADING TIME: 17s
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti (2880x1620)
    OS-Version: 6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1) 0x100-0x1
    CPU CORES: 8
    AA:4X AF:16X SHDW:2048 BLUR:0
    WORLD DETAIL: 5 SMOKE:3
    PP: QLT:3 HDR:1 FXAA:1 GLR:3 DOF:3 RAYS:1 HEAT:1

I can crank DSR up even higher and remove any singe of shimmer/quality issues and still get great FPS with smooth game play BUT I cant read any of the UI ,chat , apps ,garage menus lol they are microscopic ! lol it still looks lackluster to me .. but what do I know ...:rolleyes: I enjoy AC ..

mirrors on "normal" but in MP I get distortion in the mirrors and cars seem real dark . turning it up is a frame killer and doesn't help that much anyway .. I also get funny shadows in MP as well ,like the car floats on the track .. but this has all been said before in other threads ..
    Like you said in your OP it is down to what each player wants/needs to enjoy there gaming..

12. cooknn

cooknn Alien

Sorry, I meant Depth of Field :eek:

13. Red Or Dead

Red Or Dead Racer

Disable/low everything except resolution (native), aa x4, af 16. If your fps is above 120 don't use vsync or fps cap. This game works best with as many fps you can get. All you need is clear picture and the highest speed (fps). Believe me i've tried everything. My best gameplay experience is when my fps is higher then 180. I've set my best lap times like that.

Edit:
    FPS: AVG=132 MIN=65 MAX=196 VARIANCE=43 CPU=80%

LOADING TIME: 19s
    GPU: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (1920x1080)
    OS-Version: 6.2.9200 () 0x300-0x1
    CPU CORES: 8
    AA:4X AF:16X SHDW:512 BLUR:0
    WORLD DETAIL: 0 SMOKE:0
    PP: QLT:5 HDR:0 FXAA:1 GLR:5 DOF:5 RAYS:1 HEAT:1

When i play hotlaps i cap fps at 180 and online 120. That way i get 0 variance.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  14. Shaun Clarke

Shaun Clarke Alien

@kro Thanks for that, I will have a look into this DSR. Also found my drivers are WAY out of date. Time to have a little play around.

15. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Alien

One suggestion, FXAA (fast approximate anti aliasing on PP settings) is nice to use when combined with AA 2X, to eliminate some of the extra jaggies even if it blurs some details. But on the other hand, when combined with AA 4X it becomes almost useless and all you'll get out of it is a dashboard with blurred displays.

Shaun Clarke likes this.
  16. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Each to their own but FXAA is an image blurring electronic abomination imo... :confused:

LeDude83, AlleyViper and kro like this.
  17. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Alien

It's strange to see so many benchmark results with AA4x and FXAA still left enabled on top, hence my previous post.

18. Yami

Yami Racer

it is impressive that you enabled 4xAA + FXAA and have that FPS with That GPU.
    FXAA is actually (if not beaten yet) best anti-aliasing algorithm but it has its pros and cons.
    Less power hungry, faster but less precise still it is best, not when it comes to quality but overall.

But when we again ask to the my gamerself,
    Never use FXAA, it is a damn photoblur filter. No AA but never FXAA is my code xd