1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Going from suggested racing line to no racing line!

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Julien Hébert, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Hello everyone! I hope you have a great start to 2019!

I would like to know if anyone has hints to help when you want to stop using the suggested racing line in a sim?

Thank's,

Julien

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Troubleshooting FFB is lost after going to the Menus Feb 3, 2024
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards "Penalties Served" stat keeps going up Jan 15, 2024
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions FFB coming and going at random with Thurstmaster TS-XW Aug 27, 2023
    ACC Gameplay Please prevent going straight on Monza May 8, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions what is going on with this game, its updates, and its DLC? Jul 1, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting ACC locks when going into the CONTROLS menu Jun 21, 2022
    ACC Audio Loudness when going under a bridge (too loud) Apr 10, 2022
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars 992 Cup car exhaust flame going sideways Mar 26, 2022
    ACC Controls & Peripherals TC and ABS inputs not going through. Jan 22, 2022
    ACC Gameplay Mid-race save file going from 200KB to 1GB+ Dec 9, 2021
    ACC Gameplay parts of replay in slow motion if replay is viewed while race is still going Nov 29, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting Game freezing in MP with FFB going crazy [Log spam matrix NAN values] - Claim fixed on 1.8.4 Nov 24, 2021
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards What is going on with the rating system? Nov 20, 2021
    Screens & Videos Swedish brick going sideways Jul 18, 2021
    ACC User Interface Ongoing championship AI skill adjustment bugged Feb 26, 2021

3. Fr0zzen

Fr0zzen Gamer

As soon as you can drive a circuit without it. In my opinion the suggested racing line is nice if you need to learn a new track but after 20 laps you should turn it off in my opinion.

4. fnegroni

fnegroni Racer

Even better, don’t turn it on at all and instead watch videos online. After all the best suggested racing line might not apply to the specific car or the specific setup you are driving and it makes you look at the road rather than finding reference points as soon as possible.

Florian Boswell likes this.
  5. D.Jankovic

D.Jankovic Alien

as mentioned above drop the vitual racing line because you will start relaying on it too much.. ..try learning the track on your own..drive 5-10 slow laps and just try staying on the race line..

check this video out..it explains how it all works.

LHMGTR and Thug like this.
  6. Thug

Thug Hardcore Simmer

The first thing i do with any racing 'sim' is take off the racing line, mini map, auto anything (except engine start), etc.
    Also if the road/track car doesn't have it then I don't either, like paddle shifters, auto clutch etc.
    I have bought a SIM, and I want to simulate real racing, I want to learn a track myself (or possibly YouTube videos etc).

7. martcerv

martcerv Alien

I think the racing line in general teaches you very little as people tend to rely on it and forget all the info regarding reference points that are needed to learn how to find your own racing line. Once they turn off the racing line they may be pretty much back to zero with practically no track knowledge as you didn't need to know anything beyond following the line on the track. Its fine for beginners and casual gamers to use it with minimal effort getting around a track but anyone wanting to get more from a sim and learn something is best to never use this assist.

Never using it will be better in the long run then even spending years using it learning very little about how to best drive around a track. The racing line also limits people to what the defined line is which very often isn't the ideal or best line which you can learn yourself by experimenting with line and reference points.

I don't know how the TN rating works in ACC but I think ideally this should only work if someone is not using the line assist, you really don't know the track unless you can drive it using your own reference points and line. @Minolin ;)

D.Jankovic and Thug like this.
  8. Thank's all for the answers, I will go practice without the suggested racing line ;)

Turk and D.Jankovic like this.
  9. Turk

Turk Alien

There are corners that the line isn't so obvious, PR has loads of corners with late apexes that might confuse people. I wouldn't start with the line on, I did turn the line on once or twice on new tracks just to check I was using the correct line but it was only for a lap. Youtube videos are generally a better way (although you can't launch them in game) because the driver often explains why they take that line.

Julien Hébert likes this.
  10. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Simracer

I've been learning from watching Rob Wilson videos- and in the past two weeks I've gone from 92% PC and SA to 97% on both. You basically forget everything you know about smooth arcing turns and make the car go forward.

11. Hagen

Hagen Hardcore Simmer

This one might help you finding your own line.

Thinking about effective practicing.

Enjoy your simracing career!

chksix likes this.
  12. Thank's for these videos! Really instructive! I will for sure go practice withouth the suggested line to improve myself!

13. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

As a token of your appreciation - and assuming you're likely to continue posting - would you consider drastically reducing the size of the internet's largest signature image?

Most forums have rules for such things, but generally a thin banner is appropriate.

14. D.Jankovic

D.Jankovic Alien

also wanted to post this but i was like damnn i dont want to come out rude or something :D tnx for breaking the ice hehe

15. There you go! Is it better now? :D I know it was big, I just needed someone to kick my butt to take the time and export it in the right resolution! If it's still too big, just tell me, and I will make it the internet's smallest signature image ;) haha

16. StoneSpb

StoneSpb Gamer

I've found that in Hotlap mode not only the track has better grip but also it has many of rubber trails on curbs. For me it helps to find that last centimeters of track which were unused in more safe driving (given that better grip also helps you to be more precise). Some of them can become dangerous while racing with less grip, others can improve laptimes in any conditions except wet.

Turk and Julien Hébert like this.
  17. Great point! Thank you for this hint!

18. The Hotlap mode reproduce the full amount of possiple grip and rubber at the track. Like after a 24h big grid race under dry conditions. Also every time you cross the Finish line you'll get a new set of tire.

Chris 576 likes this.
  19. OrganDonor

OrganDonor Racer

I personally never ever turn the racing line on. I experiment with lines and breaking points until I'm generally happy and then start improving from there - break a little later, see what happens, take a wider apex, see what happens and eventually you can set pretty consistent lap times. I suggest you try the same, it's so much more fun than looking at the racing line all the time and, seriously, it's not that hard when you get used to it. Haven't played with one for years and not planning to either :)

Also, if you really want to learn, I suggest you watch some Driver61 videos on YouTube. He has driving techniques, circuit guides and plenty of other good videos to watch.

Additionally, what I really recommend is downloading and reading Advanced Circuit Driving Techniques (or a direct link if you don't want to enter your name). It's an invaluable resource if you want to learn about racing. As their website says, "This eBook is written by pro racing drivers and instructors discussing various circuit driving techniques. 87 pages of racing experience and tips on how to get the most out of yourself and your car.".

Edit: page 65 is what you're looking for.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  20. Chris 576

Chris 576 Hardcore Simmer

Practice, practice practice.

Different cars on different circuits, find your comfortable breaking points and turn in points, they're different for each.