1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

GPU prices... is this going to kill PC gaming?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by arthur666, Feb 1, 2018.

1. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Bitcoin is now pretty much dead and its only a matter of time before life support is pulled. The blocl chain system is good but it needs to be run as an alt currency and not rely on trading in fiat.

At some point if the idea succeeds then the banks will simply become obsolete but as is now they still can control if anyone can buy or sell bitcoin to cash in or out. This means they have mostly killed crypto currency trading which is actually a good thing as the exchange and trading system was as big a scam as sharemarkets.

I suspect if there is no more big profits miners will start dumping hardware fairly soon. New hardware will also flood the market so its possibly soon a very good time for a gpu.

I did buy into butcoin after the last crash of mt gox. I saw it was likely to come back from there but now it shows no hope using the current crooked exchange system. I wouldnt buy again even below $500 so thats likely the level it will get to and struggle to gain any more traction from that point. I sold out made a nice profit on this scam sold, one on the way to the top and the rest just the other day already half way back to the bottom.

I hope Mcafee follows through with his promise lol.

2. Rudski

Rudski Alien

What percentage of its overall sales does Nvidia attribute to cryptocurrency miners? AMD last year said approx 5%-6%.

3. Obizzz

Obizzz Racer

Thanks! I’m helping a couple of race driver friends build racing rigs and the current price of GPU:s was a problem in trying to keep the cost down. Looks like one of those Alienware systems might be a pretty good way to go since they want VR.

ACorsa1 likes this.
  4. Orne

Orne Alien

The necessity for transportation and all that it provides is a far cry from an independent monetary system that only the wealthy and or govts can truly afford to take advantage of, furthermore, attempting to intellectually rationalize using natural resources for the purpose of mining what is essentially virtual gold makes for enthusiastic and perhaps entertaining debates, it distracts from the sobering facts that the world is becoming more and more crowded, climates around the globe are changing and as a result resources are being stretched thinner and thinner. Using precious resources to mine virtual gold seems insane, incredibly short sighted and foolish beyond all comprehension.

Check out the water situation in Capetown, SA

Tomcul, arthur666, Turk and 3 others like this.
  5. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Blockchain can never be a currency, because it only is a technical mechanism. It needs to trade some sort of value, it cannot trade just itself. You cannot go into the bakery and say "I pay" and leave it to that - you actually have to hand over something by which you pay. That you say you pay, only declares your will to pay, and announces that you want to run the payment process. Without coins, notes or a credit card (as the current value tokens representing an agreed format of "value"), your announcement is pointless.

Blockchain is no token and no currency. Its a technology.

Governments will fight against banks being made obsolete by blockchains, since it threatens their finance model and that of the political caste. FIAT money was right invented to provide career politicians and parties with unlimited amounts of "money" to be used to bribe their voters. Blockchain transactions annihilate the need for this money and so are a direct danger to the powerinterests of the political caste.

The Arab, partially African and partially Indian world knows a form of money transfer that avoids bank control and government surveillance completely, too. It is prohibited in every country and is being run in the shadows, criminalised - and to be fair, much used for financing crime and terrorism indeed. Its called Hewala. The trust people today - need to maintain in banks and government paper money, here is being invested into the two transactors and the relation between the two. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawala. It originates in Islam, but is used beyond its ideological frontiers.

Value does not form up from nothing. Real money cannot be created. It does not just rain down from the sky. It must first be produced and then a price agreed on. That is the big problem with today's credit system, where every credit given means new "money" gets created by business banks out of nothing. This is where over 98% of new money actually is coming from, its not the money printers of the central banks.

The other key problem is the fractional reserve banking. It is so desastrous and lethal that I think its propagators should be shot on mere sight, that dangerous and harmful it is. Its the hidden nuclear multi-megaton-bomb of the industrialised world, with the ignition mechanism ticking. And sooner or later it will blow up - because there is no way to endlessly avoid it blowing up. Pray for your children, it will be a very different world they will need to live in afterwards.

Real, good money is nothing else but an ordinary, common commodity. It must be a commodity that is agreed on, sufficently wide-spread but not unlimited in supply, ideal it would be if it is easy to store and to be divided into any wanted shares. Politicians shall never have the right to replace it with an artifical forged money of theirs, like the one we now use: paper money, which I consider to be a capital crime. The quantitive easing of today, the money printing, the inflating of the money amount in free ciruclation, is nothing different from when in ancient times kings used metallic tin to mix it with the silver in the silver Thaler they minted to mint more silver Thalers of reduced silver content - and they only could do that because the used force to conquer the minting monopoly for themselves. States and career politicians shall never be allowed to hold a minting monopoly. The abuse will always be guaranteed, if for nothing else but the claimed best of intentions.

Fiscal politics are powerpolitics: brutal, merciless, unscrupolous.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    chksix likes this.
  6. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

since Nixon dissolved the Gold Standard our money is not backed by any value anymore.
    So why shouldn’t blockchain work either?

colombianomd likes this.
  7. Turk

Turk Alien

Accepting the current fiat currency is already hard for me. I find it surprising that people can have such faith is what is essentially something that only exists in our heads. I think a lot of people these days are half living in a fantasy land where the imaginations of people are held in a higher regard than the reality that's happening around hem.

Crypto currancies are another step in that direction, I think they're an interesting creative use of code but I don't give it any value. Others might but for me it's another persons imaginary money.

I think capitalism as we know it today has become a mess where the people have handed over control of their lives to an elite, again. It seems part of human behavior to hand over control to the person that wants it and defer all decisions to a higher up. We live in an imaginary world where we can consume without restraint and because we won't be around for the fallout we don't care to much.

I think we will go down in history as one of the most despised couple of generations that has ever lived. We're going to leave future generations with an awful mess.

arthur666 likes this.
  8. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

People didn’t hand over control of their lives to the elite, it was taken away from us!
    Normopathy everywhere.

9. Solmyr

Solmyr Racer

I quite fail to see what Bitcoin brought to life.. And I'm not an economist at all, but I beleive that a fundamental aspect of it is confidence. I'll not ever be more confident in bicoin than in my bank, pretty sure. Conservative way there.. :)

10. Solmyr

Solmyr Racer

About Alienware Aurora, what seems really strange is that they sell the 2nd 1080 Ti for "only" 750 dollars, when the market is more 1000 euros... Nice deal !

11. Turk

Turk Alien

I can't see it that way. We were bought off with cheap products, we're a consumer society from our top to bottom and everyone is fine with that agreement. Every part of society is now treated as a business from social issues to the way states are run. Everything is quantified with a monetary value.

Every time we go out and buy cheap goods we're rewarding the people who are stripping this planet to make those goods. We're completely complicit in this act, we can't just point the fingers at the people we put in charge through our supporting actions. We're paying them to do it.

chksix, LeDude83, aotto1977 and 3 others like this.
  12. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

And this is how it was meant to be, a plan designed over a hundred years ago. We had no chance to avoid the bait. The social studies where established in the early 1900s only to study mankind’s weaknesses. Giving the Elite a mighty toolkit...

13. ozm8ey

ozm8ey Gamer

i currently have a gtx 970 and dont think its wort upgrading yet with the current prices

14. colombianomd

colombianomd Racer

I respectfully disagree (and I'm not trying to convince you either); however, we do have common ground in that GPU/CPU mining (proof of work) should and will not be the end all be all solution to our problems. In addition, I do believe in consciously saving the environment. Satoshi Nakamoto's need statement is here if you want to become more educated: https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf. From a philosophical point of view, I can blame most new technology requiring energy for damaging the World. Look at the toxic materials that go into creating solar panels and CPUs; wind turbines killing birds. The underlying blockchain technology if properly implemented would add value IMO (just giving credit where credit is due). As mentioned here proof of stake is another way to create a blockchain and should prove more efficient. You definitely have a different opinion which we all are entitled to. No need to resolve the World's problems by typing here; however, you can do you part by turning a bad into a good thing... https://cointelegraph.com/news/unicef-asks-pc-gamers-to-mine-ethereum-and-donate-to-syrian-children.

15. I bought a MSI GTX 1080 a few months ago for about 550€, and now the Prices are going through the roof, and you have to pay at least 750-800€. It's a shame that these Bitcoin Mining destroys the GPU Market.

16. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

Not that this is relevant in any way but that's such a misleading "fact". Buildings/windows kill an order of magnitude more birds every year than wind turbines, upwards of 1 billion bird deaths a year from collisions with buildings/windows compared to maybe a couple hundred thousand from turbines. Millions of birds die every year just from regular power lines/towers. Yet we don't see people protesting windows or buildings or power lines for some reason...

https://www.birdwatchingdaily.com/b...uildings-kill-365-988-million-birds-annually/

LeDude83, Slavc, arthur666 and 2 others like this.
  17. colombianomd

colombianomd Racer

Hey thanks for the comment. If you read my statement it is not misleading. Wind turbines DO kill birds. I didn't say they killed more birds than windows. Anyway, you make my point.

18. Turk

Turk Alien

The problem is the elite keeps changing. No one is in control. We're just animals with grandiose notions. I don't think anyone can control an entire species anymore than they can control the weather. The elite are people that ride the fortunes of the masses, they're like surfers on a surf board and they fall off regularly.

Being the person in control isn't always a pleasant place to be either. Being too heavily invested in anything means you have a lot to lose, having people dependent on you makes you a target, when stuff goes wrong the leader is the one with his head on the chopping block. Being the leader is one of the worst roles imaginable for a human being, that's why it's often the psychopaths that covet and end up in those roles. Normal people don't want to be leaders, they run a mile from the role. Normal people just want to go about their daily lives and leave leadership to other people. It's the major failing of democracy, we have the power but not the will to act on it.

chksix and arthur666 like this.
  19. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Criticise monopolism, and I cover you. Not capitalism, but monopolism.

20. arthur666

arthur666 Alien

...do I need to say it? Windows and power-lines are no threat to the fossil fuel industries. They make sure we all hear about how evil wind turbines are. No sir, not a viable source of power. Nope. Kills some birds. Nevermind population drops from habitat loss due to acid rain, climate change...
    The big players of capitalism will always strive for monopolism. It's in their best interest, and too often in opposition of the interest of everything else.

chksix and LeDude83 like this.