1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Grand Prix movie 50th Anniversary!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by leon_90, Dec 21, 2016.

1. I've heard of the making of Le Mans. That Paul Newman one is new; surprised me. 2015. Actors and director surprised me as well.

yusupov likes this.
  2. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

The Paul Newman film is probably the best thing I've watched all year, it is simply fantastic. I had never seen the Winning movie before so I got it too, the first two thirds of it are kinda meh but the last ~20 minutes is nothing but incredible 1960's Indy 500 footage and that alone was worth the purchase price, especially for me since I only live 30 minutes from IMS and have been there nearly 50 times. :)

Seria17hri11er and Andrew_WOT like this.
  3. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Paul Newman film is included with Prime. Thanks.

4. yusupov

yusupov Alien

wont argue with you either (though admittedly i was initially trolling for it :)), but when i found out there was a romantic subplot (which is very early), undoubtedly thrown in as filler/for the wives, i realized -- oh, so this is an actual movie, with great footage interspersed, i just said heck with it & watched the races. still do mean to watch the full thing at some point.

5. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

Didn't mean to suggest you were trolling or anything, was just giving an alternate viewpoint for the benefit of anyone who hasn't seen it. :) I normally wouldn't care for the romantic crap but in this movie it kind of has an alternate reason for being there (at least in my mind). The details of the romantic stuff isn't that important, but its existence adds to the poignancy of the ending when Garner is standing on the front stretch of Monza wondering to himself why he loves this sport that regularly takes his friends from him. For me, all four hours culminates in the last few minutes and it was just very impactful to me.

6. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Grand Prix and Rush are my two favorite racing movies. I like Le Mans too, but it's, like someone said before, kind of an anti movie.
    All the other "days of thunder" movies are just meh, in my opinion.

Now I have to watch all three over the holidays, yippee. :D

7. Trezoitao38

Trezoitao38 Simracer

I prefer Days of Thunder to Rush.

In some way is a bad movie, terrible, with a lot of cliches. But it is just a movie like Top Gun, forget the bad story, go for the aircrafts. You see the intro of Top Gun and catch the spirit. Its a movie that uses a lot of light effects everywhere, real airplanes, not something without spirit made in a terrible simulator like the scenes or Rush, some scenes have a worst physics engine than the first Grand Prix game. And a lot of bull****s of the blockbusters ruining a good story that dont need any of these things, just read the book of Tom Rubython, the best parts of the story like British Grand Prix are not there, but a fake one on a Formula 2 or 3 are there. What is the point to do something like this? Why they script fake scenes when the real story is already good? Days of Thunder is a fake movie, fake Nascar races, but you know this and dont care about. On Rush, the scripters trying to make people believe they watch a movie better than Driven when is just a movie like every one else.

8. rge75

rge75 Simracer

I have mixed feelings. When I first saw Rush, I was slightly disappointed, simply because me expectation was pretty high. When I was watching it for a 2nd time, I started to like Rush though.

Days of Thunders (as well as Top Gun) are good movies IMO. I never really understood the Nascar point system and I always thought they must have made something wrong when they cut the movie. Was it one season, was it two season? It just looked wrong and confusing. The movie itself is nice and entertaining though. Those movies anyway had a strong binding to the character. I mean, we all know it's Maverick in Top Gun and it's Ray Tickle in Day of Thunder.

You're arguments about "fake movie" (or let's just call it "Hollywood") are absolutely right. You expect it to be like this and it's ok.

Trezoitao38 likes this.
  9. Trezoitao38

Trezoitao38 Simracer

The goal of Ray Tickle is win Daytona 500, the most important race of Nascar, not the champioship. He is a begginer on stock cars, and just want to prove yourself for the team your talent. I think the movie is complete and finish on the right time, without a epilogue.

10. rge75

rge75 Simracer

Ah, thank you. I'll have to watch it again with that background in mind ;-) For non US people who don't follow NASCAR, it's not obvious that the Daytona 500 is almost more important than winning the whole season.

11. RReed43

RReed43 Hardcore Simmer

In the US a few events transcend beyond followers of a given sport. For example people who don't follow horse racing will watch the Kentucky Derby.

In motor racing the Indianapolis 500 and the Dayton 500 are transcendent and are watched by many more people than follow the racing series themselves. Therefore winning the Dayton 500 is really a bigger deal than winning one of the Nascar Series Championships. Beyond these two races most Americans have no knowledge of auto racing.

12. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

I've only watched it once but was fairly disappointed in the nearly complete lack of racing action. The story is great, of course, but I think there's maybe 10 total minutes of racing scenes and that's what I was most excited about, so I walked away feeling disappointed. The overall quality of the film and acting was great though, the guys who played Lauda and Hunt both did a fantastic job. Just wish it had a lot more racing in it.

13. rge75

rge75 Simracer

It was especially a good job from Brühl in the german version. He sounded so similiar. But I agree, some more racing scenes wouldn't have been wrong.

I was quite surprised that no game company used the short popularity of the movie to create a F1 1975 racing sim. People would have know the cars and drivers and might have felt connected. At least Kunos added Lauda's Ferrari :)

14. vegaguy 5555

vegaguy 5555 Alien

When I first saw Rush I thought it was spot on but now that the racing world has opened up to me through Assetto Corsa forum I have to agree. I guess they were making the movie for the general public and I think it did make some money.

More racing detail would would have been nice, yes.

Also, I guess Niki and Hunt weren't quite the rivals that the movie made them out to be. There are more than just a few pictures on the web of them lounging around together at the track in the day. And they had shared living quarters for a time as well.

If Niki didn't crash at Nuremberg, Hunt would not have got the 76 champion for sure, I think.

Is there a documentary of original footage kicking around?

15. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

I've seen one or two, forget what they were called though. There's a couple films on Amazon Prime Video but you have to rent them. Here's a couple from YouTube that look to have period footage.

vegaguy 5555 and marmagas like this.
  16. Trezoitao38

Trezoitao38 Simracer

The main point of 76 season is not that Niki didnt have the same chance of Hunt to win. The main point is that both drivers have the same chances, both complete the same numbers of races. Well, this is a problem with the movie, because even with the retirements of Hunt exposed on the movie, on the final Lauda said this thing for Hunt, and the conclusion of the movie was Hunt probably could not won the champioship without the lost races of Lauda. This is in my opinion a big mistake. Because shows Hunt as a bad pilot, a bad driver, not so focused as Lauda, not so compromissed. Hunt was a really good driver, very fast, special on the worst conditions like rain. The only race that movie show some talent of Hunt was Japan. But again, on a wrong way. Because the biggest concern of Hunt on that race was when the rain stop and he still run with wet tyres. It could be a easier race to him, but the tyres were heating. On biography of Tom Rubython I didnt remember to read something saying gearshift problems for Hunt. But think about this. All people easily know that your hand can hurt if the gearshift is broken, but not all people, only the fans of automobilism, know that a wet tyre on a dry track could be a very strugle problem to a professional driver. The movie always opt for a easy way to show, on images, the story. Automobilism is not a easy sport to watch, you need to knowledge so well to really understand and enjoy the sport. Some races withou overtakes can be very boring to most people, but very interesting to the people who love the sport.

vegaguy 5555 likes this.
  17. leon_90

leon_90 Hardcore Simmer

Lads the tread is about "Grand Prix", not "Rush" :D

vegaguy 5555 likes this.
  18. vegaguy 5555

vegaguy 5555 Alien

19. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

I think it's difficult to have a discussion about Grand Prix and not have Le Mans and Rush seep into the conversation, since these are really the only other two movies that can even be compared to Grand Prix (IMO) and these three movies are pretty much on a pedestal all their own. We're all just enjoying a discussion about the few true motorsports films, what's the harm? :)

20. leon_90

leon_90 Hardcore Simmer

No harm mate don't worry ;) I just feared that "Grand Prix" was being forgotten in the heat of discussion

vegaguy 5555 likes this.