1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Guide to Graphics Settings and Performance in ACC

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by Ogvai, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Ogvai

Ogvai Gamer

So after seeing quite a few posts on the forums, Reddit, and RD i thought it was about time someone actually did a write up on what affects the FPS, so we can all some what acchieve a good frame rate in the game.

Now the PC in question is quite powerful and it is middle of the road but given its 2019 and PC hardware has come along way in just two years, it's safe to say that my PC is probably over capable for what i run it like, so I'm going to start with hardware first and then get into game settings.

Hardware wize ACC does run quite well on potatoes and anything from 5-6 years ago, but you do need to have it all set correctly, if you have a AMD or intel K cpu you can overclock it, and i dont mean going overboard here, i mean a minor overclock, i myself, run a very minor overclock of just bringing all cores up to turbo speed, which for my system in 4.6ghz, now i did that without changing voltages or anything in that manner and for intel and AMD now you have in Windows applications which help you do it even more, now overclocking can have adverse affects like instablity, Heat issues so only really do this if you are 80-100% sure your not near what the cpu can currently do stabilty wize(which is trial and error) and heat wize, nothing worse than having an overheating CPU.

Now Ram, Ram is a speical case as i know alot of people think more is better, which in some cases can be true, But alot of the time whats better for FPS is if they are running in dual channel and the timings (something that can be used to gain fps easily but is akin to overclocking), Aswell as making sure you have XMP setup in the bios ( id suggest making sure what ram you have and seeing if you have XMP turnt on in the bios XMP can cause stabilty issues if your motherboard doesnt like the setting or your ram doesnt like the setting of that XMP profile its a trial and error thing again im afraid but RTFM"read the ****ing manual") and games do often like to run at 3200Mghz ram speeds, which XMP will often try to set it too. so start with the simplest of things, make sure they are spaced 1 slot apart in your system's ram slots, it doesnt sound like it could possibly do much but it does produce gains in performance.

GPU time, Now this is where its going to become aparent if you can run a game at high, medium or low settings, if you have an older GPU now is where you are really going to see problems, Esp in a game like ACC, where more cars = more Ram usage on the GPU, Now GPU ram and system ram are two different things, so just because you have 16 gig's of System ram, and 2 gigs of Gpu ram means you will have alot of issues with frame rates if you are trying to push the games settings, Now sadly ACC doesnt have a " This is how much Video ram you are using" visual. ACC on ultra uses about 5.5gigs of Vram for my system (i have a 2070 8gig card).

So knowing how much your GPU has for VRam is very much needed, after that you can start to look at overclocking the GPU it self, now Asus GPU tweak and MSI afterburner are key things here, because that will help you with tempratures and the overclocking itself, now a common misconseption is you can hurt your GPU via overclocking with these tools, THIS IS NOT TRUE, you can't, relax, if you push the slider too high and the pc turns off. Thats fine reboot the PC into safe mode, uninstall the software you used to do the overclock and reboot.

They are the three hardware things you should look at, HDD/SSD are all for loading times and thats really it, They're nice, but ultimately not needed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now on to the settings:

Resolution scale, Now this is something I leave at 100%, it can go all the way to 200%, and down to 70%, now what this does is downscales or upscales your resolution, which means more defintion. Under 100% the game can look jaggey and blocky, so leave this at 100% and we can work with the other settings in a easier way which will keep the game looking adiquate with decent FPS. 100% is 1-to-1 pixel density with your selected resolution. Lower is more performance but lower quality (less pixels rendered), higher is more quality, lower performance (more pixels rendered).

View distance, its simple higher this is farther you can see, Medium is the best, but Low is a great spot for more fps gains, but this also works in tandem with another setting later on (Opponents visibilty)

Shadows, THIS this is the killer for most older GPUs. Shadows draw ALOT and I mean ALOT of VRam, if you find after looking at MSI Afterburner that you are maxxing out your Vram and this is not on Low, then this is where to start, put this on Low to start with then look at increasing it, IT AFFECTS FPS MASSIVELY.
    Shadows distance keeps shadow draw at a lower performance drop.
    Start with Mid/High or High/Epic and go lower if needed.

AA and AA type , This again affects FPS quite a bit, I always put this on Medium to Low, depends on the FPS I am getting, you usually see 5-10 FPS gains from low to medium depending again on how much VRam you have available, Low, and work your way up,
    AA type, KTAA/Temporal are probably recommended. Temporal produces more ghosting but less jaggies, KTAA produces less ghosting but more jaggies.
    It is up to user preference.
    FXAA is only recommended at really high resolution scale values (see above), otherwise it produces a jagged image.

Effects - controls Smoke and other effectrs, set to Low, no point in running this on medium to High if you want more FPS. Theres advanced settings for this as well in ADVANCED field, but this will be another good thing to change around and get what you want FPS value-wise and visually, personally I find tyre smoke and other visual stuff like that good but ultimately not needed when looking for performance.

Post processing - this affects motion blur and DOF quality, I put this on low to medium just for the Depth of Field stuff but again its not really noticeable.

Foliage, does any one actually look at the grass/trees and think about how they look? Nah? Good this is another one of those settings that "its nice to have" but its not worth it at all, only have this up if you have the video ram and CPU to beable to ignore the blatent FPS drop that it is.
    Recommended at Medium or Low for performance gain.

Textures, Now this is a good one to keep on High, as it does tie into a few of the other settings, Medium to high for the best looks on the cars, and tracks.

Mirror quality and view distance and resolution, Now mirror distance I say 100 mtrs is a minimum, but this is very very GPU/CPU intensive especially if you have the quality spanked up, so low quality 100mtrs and you should be golden, the resolution is a hard one, because the quality affects the FPS more, but the resolution has a minor change, so I recommend running this on Medium or Low if you dont care that the cars in the mirrors look lower quality.

Opponnent visibilty
    , this..just this, average race on line is 10-30 drives right, so lets call that 20, There you're golden set it to 15-20 drivers, if your still having issues, GO NO LOWER THAN 10-12, that will affect your racing and abilty to race with drivers, because it means you can see 5 ahead and 5 behind, and thats all you need to be able to see.

Now on to the ADVANCED settings, which is just more purdy settings if im honest.

Materials quality, This links in with Textures, if you want the game to be purdy, focus on having these two up as high as you can.

Temporal upsampling, okay so if you do choose to change your resolution scale down below 100% this will try to keep the things close to you at 100% while rendering the things in the distance at a lower resolution. It is what consoles do try try and mimic a 60fps value, its not great, but it is useful.

Bloom quality, this is a god ray choice, do you want strong god rays? This is the setting you want to change up or down, it doesnt really affect FPS values from my testing, so it's a really pick'n'mix option.

Volumetric fog
    , recommended at Low or Disabled, it's a FPS chonker, even on a system like mine, it took 7-10 fps off of my machine in testing around BH.

Foliage LoD - its foliage, recommended to set to Low.

Car lod - doesn't change much, recommended at 70% minimum.

HLOD - TURN THIS ON, ITS A FPS INCREASE, TURN. IT. ON.

I know this is a massive wall of text, but i tried to put in asmuch information as i could to keep it small, i hope you do read this as it will help with FPS values and understanding alot about what causes FPS dips and drops and how to get the most of your pc components.

If you also would like to learn about PC stuff id suggest Jayztwocents, Linus and Gamersnexus on youtube, Jayz recently doing a memory explanation alot better than i could type it out, so its worth watching.

Tested for VR on a Rift S with 100% pixel density on a 4790k and a 980TI, was sitting at 40 FPS, which isnt amazing but if you atleast somewhat follow this it should be playable with an acceptably smooth 40 fps frame rate with a 50 car grid, which admitantly isnt great but it does work, i have to admit UE4 is terrible with VR sadly so thats the best we could get with that setup.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2020
    RafaRace, morfei1, AtotheY and 35 others like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Screens & Videos HP Reverb G2 - VR Guide to get 90fps with amazing crystal clear graphics Mar 11, 2022
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Any updated graphic tweak guide for amd graphics? Nov 16, 2014
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Misano | Track Guide + Setup | Tips to be faster Jun 14, 2022
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Kyalami | Track Guide | Tips to be faster Feb 23, 2022
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Leo Sousa - Hotlaps, Setups, Track Guide, Prime Skins, Coaching and Tips Dec 2, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Paul Ricard | Track Guide | Tips to be faster Nov 4, 2021
    ACC General Discussions How to gain good rep in ACC (Beginners Guide) Nov 2, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Hungaroring | Track Guide + Setup | Tips to be faster Sep 23, 2021
    ACC General Discussions Where can I find a guide to the multiplayer server listings? Aug 1, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Barcelona | Track Guide | Tips to be faster Jul 3, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Silverstone | Track Guide | Tips to be faster Jun 21, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Brands Hatch | Track Guide | Tips to be faster Jun 11, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Monza | Track Guide | Tips to be faster May 20, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Imola | Track Guide | Tips to be faster Apr 9, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC - Nurburgring - Track Guide - Tips to be faster Mar 26, 2021

3. bondyboy

bondyboy Alien

There's a few engine.ini tweaks that can significantly improve VR performance too, they're on another VR settings thread somewhere but this is what I currently have added

[Mod edit: removed settings as they led to incompatibility issues with 1.8]

WE STRONGLY SUGGEST EVERYONE NOT TO INSTALL FILES OR TINKER WITH CONFIG FILES THEY DON'T HAVE AN UNDERSTANDING OF.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2021
    RafaRace, swigaffu and Ogvai like this.
  4. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Simracer

I think post processing has some sort of effect on the lighting in the cockpit as well. I don't like the look at low, but medium seems good enough.

Gopher04 likes this.
  5. Luciano Micale

Luciano Micale Simracer

hi, please can you explain why you drop resolution from resolution scale and then crank it back from pixel density?!? To have more pixel in vr thorouh resolution scale is not the same as pixel density?!? i am a bit confused...too much resolutions here...Also steam vr SS...What should one aim for?!?

6. trasgu

trasgu Simracer

In my personal case, what it really sinks my fps is the abismal performance hit by virtue of having the mirrors activated, also the shadows. Even with the lowest texture quality, rendering distance and mirror resolution the difference between having the mirrors disabled to enabled is about 25 to 30 fps in my pc. At the end of the day I drive with mirrors disabled to have a better and smoother perception of speed, I only ever had this issue back in 2003 with GPL using a 3dfx wrapper and a lot of graphical mods in a outdated pc back then, but ever since I never experienced that ever again. There is any way to improve that performance hit by editing configuration files?.

Another thing that I noticed is that the smoothness perception varies a lot with the amount of cars, independently of the fps amount. Weird. With only my car at 50fps it feels way smoother than with 20 cars rendered at 90fps, I watch the fps counter and it says 70 to 90 fps but it feels like 30. And then you go to do practice with only your car at the same track in the same conditions and even maxing out all the graphic options in order to sink the fps rate it looks way smoother at 40 or 50fps. I suspect that maybe it is a problem with the frame times, and maybe the cpu load also has a lot of influence in that. I've never experienced such a disconection between fps and smoothness perception.

Giuspa 2 likes this.
  7. KillZoneGB

KillZoneGB Simracer

@Mike1304

Here`s one for you for when you want to play in 3d on a flatscreen.

In the launch options in steam, put -emulatestereo to enable SBS Rendering.

(Sadly this turns off VR)

Anyhoo Cheers OP for the thread.
    I`m about to climb under the rock for once I came.

8. Ogvai

Ogvai Gamer

Okay, So ive recently got an upgrade from a 1080p 60fps panel to a 144hz 1440p panel, so some things will have changed a little update,

Resolution scale, Now this is something i leave at 100%, even at 1440p, but you can drop it down 10% and enable temporal upsampling, also worth mentioning for the Biggrid events, you might want to turn this down a little further if your machines cannot handle more than 50 cars.

View distance, its simple higher this is farther you can see, Medium is the best, but low is a great spot for more fps gains but this also works in tadem with another setting later on (opponents visabilty), Nothing changes here for 1440p nor for BG events, you can turn it down to low, BUT that will cause you to see less and less ofc.

Shadows, THIS this is the killer for most older cards Shadows draw ALOT and i mean ALOT of Vram, if you find after looking at MSI after burner that you are maxxing out your Vram and this is not on low, then this is where to start, put this on low to start with then look at increasing it, IT AFFECTS FPS MASSIVELY. Nothing changes at 1440p nor BG events, Turn these off, or low for BG events.

Shadow distance, this is a setting that works in tandem with Shadows, ideally you want this equal or 1 click above Shadows, it does exactly what you would think it does, it affects FPS maybe 5 or 7 fps drop for me, honestly didnt notice much change from low med, but High and epic you do, and never run on epic (unless for screen shots Thank you panky) for BG events, i would leave this equal to shadows itself, so Low/med.

this comes straight from one of the Devs :
    whereas Epic shadow distance helps with the shadows under cars in front and general shadow draw without being too taxing, imagine it like a large rectangle being cast on the scene, shadow distance affects how large the cascade is, while resolution affects the resolution (and as a result the sharpness) of the shadow cast

AA and AA type , This again affects FPS quite a bit, i always put this on medium to low, depends on the FPS i am getting, you usually see 5-10 FPS gains from low to medium depending again on how much Vram you have available, low, and work your way up, And AA type, Now im not 100% sure whats the full differnce FPS value wize but KTAA/Temporal are probably the best bets, 1440p wize nout changes, im still not seeing ANY DIFFERENCE with KTAA and temporal, Frame rate or visual wize, BG events, you can turn this off, it will make the game look...horrible but will give a nice FPS boost.

Effects - Smoke ect ect, Low, no point in running this on medium to high if you want that juicy FPS, Theres advanced stuff for this aswell in the menus but this will be another good thing to change around and get what you want FPS value wize and visual wize personally i find tyre smoke and other visual stuff like that good but ultimatly not needed. nothing changes at higher resolutions, and in BG events turn this off, its a fps hog thats not worth it.

Post processing - this affects motion blur and DOF, no one really runs Motion blur given it either looks trash or is a FPS hog aswell in some cases, i put this on low to medium just for the Depth of field stuff but again its not really noticeable.

Foliage, does any one actually look at the grass/trees and think about how they look? Nah? Good this is another one of those settings that "its nice to have" but its not worth it at all, only have this up if you have the video ram and CPU to beable to ignore the blatent FPS drop that it is.

Textures, Now this is a good one to keep on High, as it does tie into a few of the other settings, Medium to high for the best looks on the cars, and tracks theres really not much to say about this because its very very spesific on what it does so this is what you want to focus on to keep the cars and tracks looking as good as they can, if that means EVERYTHING else on low but this on ultra because you want the cars to look great, then do it, its what i used to do when my pc couldnt handle racing games, now this at 1440 hits hard, while its nice having it on high, you can tweak it to your liking for best fps values, again for the BG events, id go safe, and have it on low.

mirror quality and view distance and resolution, 150 mtrs, 100 mtrs for the BG events, resolution medium, Low for BG events, blocky rear view but who cares it will help with FPS.

Opponnent visabilty, this..just this, average race on line is 10-30 drives right, so lets call that 20, There you're golden set it to 15-20 drivers, if your still having issues, GO NO LOWER THAN 10, that will affect your racing and abilty to race with drivers, because it means you can see 5 ahead and 5 behind(if you are lucky), and thats all you need to be able to see, everything still stands, but given the Biggrid events have 50 cars generally, you might want to tweak all settings around this one so you can have multiple cars being see as you WILL NEED TO SEE more than 5 cars infront or behind(if you are lucky), but as based on your system, it will be a case of tweak during practise and or beforehand, you also might want to think about having this as high as you can, given at 10cars or even 15cars YOU MIGHT NOT SEE THE TURN 1 EAU ROUGE CLUSTER FUGG, im not saying itll happen, im just saying youll want to see it.

now on to the "advanced" which is just more purdy settings if im honest.

Materials qualty , This links in with Textures, if you want the game to be purdy, focus on having these two up as high as you can, This also effects the Wet look on your car and scenery, so you might want this up a little higher than most settings aswell, so you can judge conditions 100% correctly.

Temporal upsampling, okay so if you do choose to change your resolution scale down below 100% this will try to keep the things close to you at 100% while rendering the things in the distance at a lower resolution, its what consoles do try try and mimic a 60fps value, its not great, but it is usefull.

Bloom quality, this is a God ray choice, do you want strong god rays? this is the setting you want to change up or down, it doesnt really affect FPS values from my testing, so its a really pick n mix option.

Volumetric fog , low, its a FPS chonker, even on a system like mine, it took 7-10 fps off of mymachine in testing around BH.

Foliage LoD - its foliage, low.

Car lod, this is massive for Biggrid events, 25%. Heck 25% is nice you do not need to see the pretty AMG weebcar 2 miles up the road...before this setting was introduced it was base line 70% so you can tweak this to what you would like anything lower than 70% will make cars look pretty bad but for frame rates it does help, after doing some more testing(in a replay, so it might not be 110% accurate) i was at 48FPS with 80 cars on the screen, with 100% car LOD, at 25% i am at 53FPS, not much of a gain but a gain never the less.

HLOD- TURN THIS ON, ITS A FPS INCREASE, TURN. IT. ON.

Nothing much really changed overall, some settings do need to be toned down or up, since 1.2 they have improved the performance of low end machines, but this guide or just little read through will still be helpful, if you still have FPS issues, contact me on here, Mrgits discord my names PeeBee(PB), or my own discord(which you can get from Twitch.tv/peebizzlefonizzle using the !discord command) im happy to help with any questions.

VR is still a mystery to me as i dont have a headset, but i have also been speaking to other headset users, who are having FPS issues.

i would also like to pick a devs brain about some settings at somepoint so if one of you do read this, please please please message me so i can tweak this write up even further

Thank you .

Edit, ive found at 1440p these settings are probably the best https://imgur.com/a/uawPLMB

its pretty simple everythings mostly on low, or mid, Bloom and Volumetric fog are on high because i forgot those while taking the screenshot, so you could tweak them lower, Aswell as the resolution.

This was tested on a 9600k @4.9GHZ and a 2070, so ofc you still might have issues on 4c4t CPU's and 4+ year old GPU's so please bare that in mind.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  9. with your settings I can run 15 cars. but at 720p I can run 28 of them. :)

10. m_box97

m_box97 Simracer

I was testing graphics settings a few weeks ago and HLOD didn't make any difference I would even say I was getting less consistency. The only reason I can think of is that I run view distance and texture on the highest settings so it doesn't swap as much as on lower settings. How you test HLOD on/off and what difference in FPS did you get?

11. Snoeipaard

Snoeipaard Racer

@Ogvai: First off, thanks for taking the time to make this manual, it is great. And if I may, I would like to make it a little better still.

As the advise to not turn down the resolution scale may be true at Full HD, I found this is not true when at 4K(or even 1440). At Full HD there are simply no more pixels to waist, before things start to look bad. At 4K however, this is not the case. At 4K you have lots of pixels to waist, before things start to look bad. And incontrary to Full HD, at 4K generaly setting an option to anything less than "High" will make things look much worse.

Therefore at 4K I would definetly advise turning down the resolution scale, before setting anything to less than "High".

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  12. pccole

pccole Rookie

I don't understand this damn game... One day its locked in at 60fps 4k 55inch.. Mostly high or epic..

Then recently Ive seen a big dip..
    I've had to drop stuff and now my visual enjoyment is suffering.

I'm not sure if it's linked to an update.. But online Zolder became a stuttering mess almost unplayable.

I've got ryzen 9 3900x
    Gtx 2070 super (8gb)
    32gb 3200 RAM
    (Internet is 160mbs)

WTF is going on?? Early days I was going out with big grids sunset into night on epic etc... Now its spikey as hell and I'm dropping everything to mid ‍♂️

Any help would be greatly appreciated

13. anthonylroy

anthonylroy Hardcore Simmer

Most likely something else running on you machine

14. pccole

pccole Rookie

Theres nothing else running... Sometimes crew chief... But I tried switching that off too. There's nothing else on the machine

15. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

So are running no anti virus software for example ?

Doesn't make any sense, my system is less powerful than yours, and at the same basic settings, but not 4k, and no problems with this "damn game".

16. Snoeipaard

Snoeipaard Racer

Could you have accidentally switched v-sync on or off in game?

17. pccole

pccole Rookie

Its literally only turned on to race... So nothing else on it..

Like I say it was running fine initially. Nothing has changed, other than the most recent game update... No other driver update etc either.

It makes no sense that it ran on epic fine and now struggles to keep up with mid settings...

18. RST

RST Racer

OFF

19. pccole

pccole Rookie

I've always found v-sync to work best On with a 4k tv or at least mine anyway..

20. Snoeipaard

Snoeipaard Racer

Also, maybe we should open a new thread for this problem. We're a little off topic here.

romandevision and LATE4APEX like this.
  21. theivansk

theivansk Racer

Just want to say, thanks for the work put in this thread. Helped me a lot understanding everything.