1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory.
  2. FOR ASSETTO CORSA COMPETIZIONE: If you report issues with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder!
  3. If your game executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, then run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether.

Great - I'm at the start line and it's raining. Now what?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Tim Larsen, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Tim Larsen

Tim Larsen Racer

I do not have a lot of simracing experience. Most gathered since I started racing in ACC 6 months ago. I do fine in normal conditions. When it's raining I have a problem - I simply do not know what approach to take to car setup once you find yourself on the line in a race and the rain has started coming down. In shorter races I managed a mulitiplayer win once in the rain. 15m at Monza and I won mainly due to excessive T1 carnage which gave me a massive head start. Lots of rain so the standard wet setup seemed fine and temps were under control. In 2 longer races, I found myself swapping to wet but after 2 or 3 laps I start to slide about like a drunken sailor, tire pressure way too high, even though I started with low tyre pressure like 20-22. If I do not use the wet setup but swap tyres to wet, then I also adjust engine map, ABS and TC manually but still. Obviously I'm missing a trick here and do not know where I need to swap between slick and wet tyres. How does one decide that?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC General Discussions Great to see VirtualR sim racing website back in full swing May 29, 2020
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Mouse controls seem to be working great! Feb 4, 2020
    ACC Screenshots & Videos Great visual of ACC's physics in real time... Jan 25, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer CP races are great! Jan 22, 2020
    Online Leagues / Championships room [Special Event]Le Mans'66 -The Great Challenge Oct 29, 2019
    Console Lounge Weekly Hotlap Challenge #142 – The first step to greatness Aug 18, 2019
    ACC General Discussions This game is great Jul 22, 2019
    ACC Screenshots & Videos Do you have a great ACC screenshot? Jul 14, 2019
    ACC Physics NSX drives great but off the pace? Jun 25, 2019
    ACC Multiplayer beta 1.0.1 worked great - official 1.0.1 always disconnects Jun 4, 2019
    ACC General Discussions What’s great in ACC so far! (A reminder thread) Jun 4, 2019
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Great soundtrack! May 4, 2019
    ACC Hardware Discussions ACC could greatly benefit from adaptive GFX settings Apr 8, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Carnage at Monza but great fun! Mar 25, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Google Stadia could be great platform for ACC Mar 20, 2019

3. m_box97

m_box97 Simracer

In the strategy page you can switch between DRY or WET tyres

4. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

The game will notify you when wet or dry tires are optimal. But it's a bit more complicated than that, you can start the race with medium rain, low standing water and 5-10 opponents. 5-10 opponents means there's probably not enough people on the track to form a dry line, which means it will keep on getting wetter. In that case, even tho dry tires might be the best option at the start, it could possibly be a better choice to take wet tires from the start. This will mean you're gonna struggle at the start of the race, but it also means you will not have to make a pitstop during the race to switch to wet tires.
    If it's light rain and there's enough cars on track, stick with dry tires. Even tho they will be cold, they will be faster than wets. Just increase the tire pressures a lot, start higher than the recommended ~27-28psi hot pressure, as the rain will cool the track and you can't push the tires like you would in a dry race, meaning their psi will drop.

I had a league race where it was the other way around, the track started completely soaked but it had already stopped raining before the end of the race and the sun was shining. There were a lot of cars on track, like 30 or something, meaning the track would definitely dry up for the most part during the race. So then you gotta decide what tires to take, start on dries and suffer the first bit or start on wets, be a bit faster in the beginning but then pit once it gets dryer.

It's kind of a gamble and there's a lot of variables to take into consideration. You should also keep in mind that there's conditions where both types of tires will struggle and you're just gonna have to deal with the situation.

I don't think there's any situation where you ever have to start with 20-22psi tirepressure tho.
    Also move the brake bias to the rear (lower number) when it rains.

eracerhead likes this.
  5. RDGNL

RDGNL Simracer

He means at which point in time do you change between dry and wet conditions during changeable conditions.

@Tim Larsen : Unfortunately it's down to experience. Note that it's the not the rain that means you need wet tyres, it's the standing water that forces aquaplaning on the dry tyres which means you'll want wet tyres. You could have long periods of light rain and still be faster on dry tyres, but the colder tarmac/asphalt will mean your tyres will run cooler on average which will affect your pressures so can compensate by running higher pressures. The game does warn you when the tyres you have on are not the optimal tyres for the track conditions, but that doesn't mean you need to change tyres at that particular moment. If it's a short rain (the weather forecast will show you dry/overcast conditions in 10 minutes for instance), it could be worth a shot to stay out on dry tyres and just wrestle the rain so to speak. Think of it this way: a tyre change costs you at least 30 seconds + the pitlane time and it's double that time if you have to switch back afterwards. So if you can safe 1,5-2 minutes by being 20s slower for a few laps on suboptimal tyres, then you'll be faster in the long run. It's all in the strategy and there's no predefined strategy choices you can make that will give you any guarantees.

6. Tim Larsen

Tim Larsen Racer

Thanks for the replies - it's like I thought. Lack of experience on my side. Sometimes one just needs a starting point and to verify if one is on the right track and I think I am.

7. rdmracer

rdmracer Gamer

I remember from my pCARS days where tires actually have a shape in sim, you want a bit of over-pressure on wet tires so the middle will get trough to the asphalt easier and the rest of the tread can deflect water more easily.
    This is why the game selects some standard higher pressure if you select rain tires.
    Another thing is the nose and floor of the car and general setup and brake balance. In the wet you have much less grip so less weight transfer. So a dry setup will be too stiff with brake balance too far forward.
    A thing that I also noticed is the wet setup taking more downforce from wings compared to the floor. Because a low floor with all that water also gives problems.

Tim Larsen likes this.