1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Guide for actually racing with other cars?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by gfk, Jun 12, 2017.

1. gfk

gfk Rookie

This might sound really dumb, but is there any guides about the strategy for like overtaking cars on a track and things you need to consider when racing with other cars. There's loads of guides on techniques, like heel toe, and the physics but not a lot about setting up a overtake or other stuff I never consider about. I'm pretty dumb and a newb so I need to read a guide to prepare. I only hotlap right now and wanna improve. Or if anyone could give me some pointers?

I feel so dumb posting this because nobody talks about this. This must be like it's super obvious to other people but I'm pretty clueless. All I know is no divebombing.

chksix likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Misano | Track Guide + Setup | Tips to be faster Jun 14, 2022
    Screens & Videos HP Reverb G2 - VR Guide to get 90fps with amazing crystal clear graphics Mar 11, 2022
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Kyalami | Track Guide | Tips to be faster Feb 23, 2022
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Leo Sousa - Hotlaps, Setups, Track Guide, Prime Skins, Coaching and Tips Dec 2, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Paul Ricard | Track Guide | Tips to be faster Nov 4, 2021
    ACC General Discussions How to gain good rep in ACC (Beginners Guide) Nov 2, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Hungaroring | Track Guide + Setup | Tips to be faster Sep 23, 2021
    ACC General Discussions Where can I find a guide to the multiplayer server listings? Aug 1, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Barcelona | Track Guide | Tips to be faster Jul 3, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Silverstone | Track Guide | Tips to be faster Jun 21, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Brands Hatch | Track Guide | Tips to be faster Jun 11, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Monza | Track Guide | Tips to be faster May 20, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Imola | Track Guide | Tips to be faster Apr 9, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC - Nurburgring - Track Guide - Tips to be faster Mar 26, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC - SPA - Track Guide - Tips to be faster Mar 18, 2021

3. TheReaper GT

TheReaper GT Racer

Practice a lot, know the tracks, get smoother, faster and more stable, constant. If you are faster, you're gonna pass if not, stay behind and cash the points you've earned.

4. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

It's not a dumb question, but imo it's something that you need to figure out yourself, because it really depends on a lot of things.
    e.g. track/corners, acceleration, top speed, braking performance, driving lines etc.

The only thing I think that can be pointed out in general is that there is a significant difference between real racing overtakings (which are often very borderline) and what is deemed fair in (online) simracing.
    For the latter, it is always a good idea to indicate your moves early to prevent misunderstandings and thus crashes.

For example, if yesterday's F1 race would've been an online race, I would've kicked both Verstappen and Sainz for careless driving.
    (Sainz obviously more than Verstappen.)

5. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Hope it helps

6. Turk

Turk Alien

I guess that you basically want to get the other guy off the racing line so they take corners less effectively. Professional racers would try to overtake while losing as little time as possible in the process.

7. gfk

gfk Rookie

8. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

I think everyone is different when it comes to overtakes. I try to overtake in safe places only, unless the guy ahead makes a clear mistake. Im probably not aggressive enough with my overtakes but id rather wait behind entering turns if I dont have a clear run early enough or if taking the inside line creates a massive problem for the other car, like corners where you have to commit and have to straighten the wheel and scrub off loads of speed if someone sticks it on your inside.

Christopher Low likes this.
  9. V8_KB

V8_KB Alien

I'm trying to drive in such a way that first and foremost doesn't cause any contacts (some trading paint is ok ofc). Since I'm only sitting in front of a computer with a toy wheel in my hands and not in an actual F1 car, I'm not forcing people to let off to not go off the track. It's quite usual way of passing, you are slightly in front on the inside after making a move, you are going to the outside edge of the track, he has to back off, pass done. And that's what I simply don't do, it's just public racing after all. I rather leave him space and go 2 wide, if I'm fast enough I'll make a pass anyway.

10. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

It is very good to see the replays. Many times I thought I was right, and it was my fault, or both were guilty. And of course to learn from the mistakes, try not to repeat them. I have met few guys who are racing really badly, and they think it is ok, they aren't going to improve.

Christopher Low likes this.
  11. The first point I would make is......always respect the driver you are trying to overtake. If you are not sure that you can outbrake someone into a corner, don't do it. If you are side by side with another driver through a corner, don't drift to the outside and force him off the track. If you are close behind someone on the approach to a corner, make your decision early. Don't hug the rear bumper of someone else's car deep into the braking zone. Back off, and try to position your car so that you get a better exit from the corner.

In my opinion, 95% of public server racing is about respect. If you think like that, you will be just fine.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    DD_Friar and sissydriver like this.
  12. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

Consider where your best chance of overtaking is and make sure you take the previous corner appropriately. If you're faster through the corners there's no point being bumper-to-bumper on the entry, you need to time it so you've got the maximum speed advantage at the exit and can use that to pass on the straight.

13. martcerv

martcerv Alien

My most basic tip for anyone racing is that you cant drive through the other car, you need to go around them. It seems fairly basic to me but its amazing how many dont seem to understand this. ;)

To take it a step further it means if your trying to outbrake someone you wont be directly behind them as there is no room there, so pick a side. When passing in a corner you need enough room for your car to pass and for them also needing enough room as they wont simply dissapear once you start a move.

If there is no space for your car then wait til you can find one, racing isnt hotlapping there is no single ideal line when making a pass. Just because you caught someone it doesnt mean you can just get past at that moment as the car is likely in your way now and so you need to find a way around them. :D

14. Sleeper Service

Sleeper Service Hardcore Simmer

QFT

Also, as @Christopher Low says, respect. Show some and earn some.

Study your opponents lines etc, work out where you are quicker and use the advantage to put yourself in a good overtaking position... plan ahead. Also, as @martcerv says, racing isn't hotlapping, brake points that you may have burned into your memory go out of the window when racing.

Good luck out there ;)

gfk likes this.
  15. matz_AUT

matz_AUT Hardcore Simmer

I always try to follow four basic rules when racing:

1.) When being overtaken, I do not swerve, but keep a steady line. If I decide to defend I make my move to the inside early and in a way that clearly indicates to the the other guy that I will not give him the inside line. After having changed my line once, I keep it. This basically is by the book and it works very well.

2.) When overtaking, I also keep my line after passing. That keeps the line of travel of the other guy free, and avoids me being backended.

3.) When following a car closely into a corner, I will often go off the throttle a sec earlier, and marginally apply the brakes at the same time. Then when I see the brake lights of the leading car coming up I modulate the brakes accordingly. I dont feel like loosing too much time doing that, but having the brakes already primed really reduces my response time with regards to the car in front of me, so to stay close to his bumper and still not rear ending him.

4.) Use Helicorsa !

Biner, Dookie, sissydriver and 3 others like this.
  16. Turk

Turk Alien

Over taking at the end of a straight as you come to the corner, close your eyes and whisper "there can be only one" to yourself.

AvGas likes this.
  17. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

When you go off, or loose huge amount of speed, never rush to rejoin.

MrDeap and AvGas like this.
  18. MarcM

MarcM Simracer

I used to think that overtake = outbrake.

But if you brake comfortably and concentrate on your line you will have the better line/exit and easily overtake him right after the corner and gain a few tenths before the next turn. Much more effective and safe, it's a win-win approach.

Also accept that in many turns it's not smart to go side by side with a slower opponent. That means you'll have to lift and cruise a bit untill the first opportunity where you can overtake. It's completely normal in real racing but in simracing it seems a mortal sin and some people have to force themselves into any imaginary gap they perceive (and if you say something they'll bring that stupid Senna quote). By all means try it against the AI but have a bit more patience online please.

jaxx_za, martcerv and mike reynolds like this.
  19. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

One of the best questions asked around here ever.

Regarding clean and respectable behaviour: The Minorating project tried to compile a few hard rules and soft etiquettes:

http://www.minorating.com/Rules
    http://www.minorating.com/Ettiquette

This might not be "official", but I didn't face much discussion about the content for years now. Going further, @Hagen described lots of interesting stuff that might help you in those 3 guides:
    https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198029319818/myworkshopfiles/?section=guides

Going more to the technical stuff in my own words (maybe pick something you are interested in and we can go deeper):

1. Racing is both competition and cooperation. You need to know what others might do, and be predictable to really race other people. If one of both fails, you will not improve the racing quality and overall enjoyment (to speak very politely)
    2. The competative side is to utilize everything that is within the common rules to be fast and get ahead - but it's also required to be predictable. Track and car knowledge is not optional
    3. Understand the difference between closed league racing and public servers. This is totally important for the start - good drivers will violate my 2nd point in order to ensure they won't cause mass collisions due to small mistakes. Please do not exploit their defensiveness
    4. Be sure you have a vivid imagination of what the rules mean. Like overlap at turn in, what lines and boundaries are involved, etc.. How does a good defensive move (=non-blocking) look like?
    5. Practice both ideal lines and side-by-side lines. Especially the inside line is very important, once you brake too late you will push the other guy away which is basically the worst (and most frustrating) thing you can do
    6. Talking about frustration; try not to hit anybody into the back during brake or turn-in
    7. Be polite - you'd be amazed how many cool guys you will face during some online sessions
    8. Go on and ask questions, simracers are selectively amazing people that will help a lot

Guidofoc, MrDeap, sissydriver and 4 others like this.
  20. gfk

gfk Rookie

All these are awesome and will guide me to what mentality I want to be in. First I just wanna get use to being around cars, so how do you rank the AI in AC? I also have Automoblista too.

21. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Since the last update ai is one of the best out there. They can put up a serious but fair fight.
    IMO very good for your purposes.