1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Hardware and lap time

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by nrc689, Apr 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

No but... today i'll try. Just to give an example ... during my "experiments" I tried to disable the "temporal sampling" and I immediately realized that the sun had a black circle around it. Horrible. And so I'm a little skeptical at lowering the graphics.

2. Skybird

Skybird Alien

If the question is for how driving style and technique, and its supporting hardware (inout hardware), is affecting driver'S ability to be fast on track, brake epedal goes first in importance , then gas pedal, wheel is last. Becasue a brake with too light springs make it difficult to correctky dose your braking power, you will often give to much or too little brakes. Stiff brake pedal is better.

SimGuy_1 likes this.
  3. Coanda

Coanda Alien

What do you have your Opponents Visible settings on? This is a heavy FPS hitter for vehicles rendered and not rendered. Material Quality & Volumetric Fog is another heavy FPS hitter.

SimGuy_1 likes this.
  4. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

Note: ACCESO is ON / SPENTO is OFF / ALTO is HIGH / BASSO is LOW

Attached Files:

Coanda likes this.
  5. Coanda

Coanda Alien

20. Try lowering it to 10. It has a huge effect on on CPU & GPU throttling even though the opponents are not rendered. This one setting has a 40-60 FPS impact for my setup.

SimGuy_1 likes this.
  6. JnJ | Rayleigh

JnJ | Rayleigh Simracer

while we're at that specific setting: Is it possible with little work to split the "visible opponents" setting in "in front opponents" and "behind you opponents" at some point? For me at least it is enough to see the closest opponents behind me, but I still like to see opponents even if they are well in front of me @Minolin or any other dev :D

Minolin likes this.
  7. Coanda

Coanda Alien

Its a good point you raise. I am not exactly sure how it decides which ten are shown. For me even if the opponents are not being rendered my GPU dynamically throttles hard to 60-70% even though my CPU is no where near max load. Granted my GPU & CPU are out of sync however I still cannot fully get my head around it. In this scenario I increase the screen percentage from 150% to 175% to force my GPU to load at 90+%. If I must take an unfortunate large FPS hit I might as well get some candy in return :)

8. SimGuy_1

SimGuy_1 Alien

50 fps is bad my tip to you will be->>
    Resolution:1440P or 1080P with AA or resolution scale at 120%-140%
    Textures:High/Epic.
    View distance:High/Epic.
    Keep mirrors setting what suits you.
    NOW for all other settings just set them all on LOW or OFF why? because while playing you are not gonna notice and need any of these eye candy it will just put stress on pc for nothing.
    On 60hz monitor always aim for
    MIN:85FPS-MAX:120FPS no vsync or anything.

dek likes this.
  9. Si.

Si. Simracer

Why is it worth rendering twice as many frames as can be displayed at 60hz?

I’ve been experimenting with candy vs FPS and so far dropping from 90+ to 60 has made no difference to my lap times or perceived smoothness. Maybe it’s because I started racing with ZX81s and VIC20s :).

10. SimGuy_1

SimGuy_1 Alien

It's for smoothness and since you can pull 120 fps this gives you confidence that you can run more A.I on screen and still your game will work fine.
    I personally don't like sitting on edge at 60fps on 60hz screen.

Coanda and dek like this.
  11. dek

dek Racer

With 60fps capped it's smooth but I get some tearing here and there. Everything down or above i get stutters. ( 58,59,61,62...) So i go full fps ( above 100 with adjusted gfx to mid/ high as i dont need to have all the candy ) I also noticed the ffb getting softer at capped fps around 60. It was mentioned before that I may have nothing to do with low fps but I can replicate it every time. What could it be instead of the capping? I really don't know.

Kind regards.

12. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll do some tests.
    1 - Coanda I tried with 10 visible cars but apparently they appear and disappear ..
    2 - SymGuy_1 I will try the resolution you suggested.
    3 - Dek, with 63 fps (60hz) I have more tearing and some freeze.
    When I turned at 60 I didn't notice big differences with 50.

13. Si.

Si. Simracer

That’s weird about the FFB, I haven’t noticed anything like that when changing FPS and at the moment mine is capped at 61.

14. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

After some test (right now race at Monza) the best performace for me are the setting I posted.. I only fixed fps from 50 to 55. I can't 60 or over because starting tearing.

15. R1-Limited

R1-Limited Racer

Interesting topic, I am in the corner of decent hardware makes a big difference in "EXPERIENCE" I was running ACC on a asus m5a97 le r2.0, FX-8350 with 8gig, a 1050 (2Gig) windows 10. My rig is fanatec CSL Eliet base and Wheel. I originally had the CSL Elite pedels, and recently got a set of Clubsport V3. The difference there is night and day for feel. You can actualy roll on and off the THrottle and have far better breaking feel. To point. I have upgraded my PC to a Asus X470 Prime / AMD Ryzen 7 1700x with 16 g G.Skill 3200 & M.2 500 gb with the Evo SSD as my data drive with a MSI 570 Armour 8g OC which I upgraded with the older FX-8530 AMD I had

Just with the Motherboard, CPU and ram I picked up 20 FPS on tests with the 570, over clocking them all I can push 100fps (In AC) for ACC its around 80 on average.

The game is smoother, I dropped a two digits in seconds in lap times, I am working more on consistency and setup. Bottom line for me I am a believer that hardware is what will make or break your experience. I did see tremendous gains in how the game played with my new hardware (PC) I also found huge gains with the Pedals switch. And a side note on that, I recently pulled the pedels apart, cleaned and lubed and the feel was right back to feel again. Apperantly Fanatec needs to be cleaned everynow and then

16. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

Hey guys we all know that better hardware (generically: PCs, steering wheels and stations) make you drive better. A friend of mine claims that I lose a second a lap just because I have a computer chair with wheels that moves as I drive .... So clearly a position helps you, as does a 1000 euro of steering wheel or 100" triple monitor with 300 fps, but I started the thread to see if those with better hardware (or fps) can go faster in race, the question is simple (and not)

17. R1-Limited

R1-Limited Racer

Then what was your expectations?

18. fabT

fabT Alien

Never got faster by just upgrading pc hardware, nor wheel / shifter / pedals.

When i first switched to load cell pedals i was actually slower. Adaptation needed.
    For me going from a notebook to a desktop ( i5 8600K + GTX 1080 ) was a huge leap and made game better detailed, appealing and fluid, but without any effects on my driving performance.

There's no shortcut for going faster, just practice.
    (imho)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  19. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

Just your opinion.. i'm not so expert in this. :)

20. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

Good because I would be happy if it depended only on me. This does not matter. The important thing is that the "potato" does not affect lap times.