1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Has the ai reached it's final potential ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by 4yrton Senn4, May 20, 2015.

1. 4yrton Senn4

4yrton Senn4 Simracer

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues "Breakpoint A" breakpoint has been reached May 14, 2014
    ACC Troubleshooting Fatal error! The UE4-AC2 Game has crashed and will close Saturday at 10:08 PM
    ACC Troubleshooting Access violation on game startup . The UE4-AC2 game has crashed Apr 11, 2024
    ACC General Discussions An official Assetto Corsa discord server please. (iracing, raceroom, and gt7 has one) Mar 16, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting Fatal error! on version 1.9.8 (the UE4 AC2 Game has crashed...) Mar 9, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting The UE4-AC2 Game has crashed and will close Line 95 [SOLVED] Feb 26, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting Assetto Corsa Competizione UE4-AC2 Game has crashed and will close. Feb 25, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting The UE4-AC2 Game has crashed and will close Dec 2, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting The UE4-AC2 Game has crashed and will close - Fatal Error Oct 22, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting UE4-AC2 Game has crashed.. Oct 8, 2023
    ACC Physics Why the Ferrari 296 has no suspension? Aug 20, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting The UE4-AC2 Game has crashed and will close - Fatal error! Jul 22, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions IXR has League Nights on Friday's 7:30pm BST Jun 18, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting CLOSED: UE4-AC2 Game has crashed and will close Jun 7, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting The UE4-AC2 Game has crashed and will close May 18, 2023

3. A.r.e.s.

A.r.e.s. Hardcore Simmer

sad to hear indeed.

4. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

- hate to hear that..fast ai doesn't mean much if they won't pass IMO..good that improvements are being made though
    answer - I agree and I'll definitely look into it.but multiclass pass is different because it assumes knowledge about the opponent car

- are they any better about passing while using the same class car?
    answer - no but I am going to look into it.These days I am just racing a lot to identify what and where the REAL problems are.

He clearly says that its WIP.

5. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

6. plaid

plaid Alien

He said he/they work on the AI, just that that overtaking of cars of the same class will be improved, but overtaking cars of slower classes not, so multiclass will be limited. Thats at least how I understood it.
    Anyway, I think multiclass racing would be only important on real multiclass-races, so something like the 24h of Nür, Spa or Bathurst and especially for the Nür there would be much more cars at the same time possible, to really make sense.

For a real race-simulation for the Nordschleife, that would be what I see necessary. Sad.Online thats hard to organise.

Leemstradamus likes this.
  7. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

I wouldn't worry too much guys...

8. zaratul

zaratul Hardcore Simmer

Can you please clarify? For many of us, AI is very important but this creates some sort of confusion. Thanks.

Nahkamarakatti likes this.
  9. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

AI is top focus for us too.
    Stefano is known to speak on how it sees things in the absolute present. Doesn't mean that stops to work on it or that tomorrow or the next month, or whenever a new idea comes to him or a breakthrough happens in the general AI programming documentation.

For sure, whenever we see improvements we will hunt them.
    I know I might sound generic, but then again I know how we work. We thought AC would be a 5-10 car sim with 3-4 tracks... look where it is now.

10. Aqib

Aqib Gamer

a 50 car sim with 3-4 tracks :p

SpriGgy likes this.
  11. kevin.maatman

kevin.maatman Staff Member KS Dev Team

12. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

I get it to 19, but i did count the dragstrips.

13. PhenOm

PhenOm Alien

What amuses me the most (and I'm not talking about anyone here in this topic!) is that people assume that creating an A.I. (Artificial Intelligence) is easy to do and can be done in 2 minutes like it's nothing, without having any problems.

14. nonnex

nonnex Alien

Is is not? So many years past since Asimov and it's still hard todo. Dammit! ;)

Twitter: Take some distance folks, Devs has also a right to share thoughts on twitter without the need to take every word or statement into apart and interpretations to discuss in the Forums. Lets be creamy guys.

15. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Racer

it's certainly something i'd like to see continued development on. they definitely need to be adverse to being held up if the car in front is slow (or stopped on the track).

16. brioche

brioche Racer

To be honest I don't even understand why people call a pre-defined set of instructions Artificial Intelligence (a better name would be Pre-Programmed Drivers).
    Artificial Intelligence is a lie (just like the cake :D). It simply doesn't exist yet. What we have are sets of instructions that allow computers to respond to certain inputs for which they have been programmed.
    And this is only achieved through wasting countless hours to try to handle all the possible interactions between the predictable "bot" and unpredictable human beings (it's a lot for a single programmer to take).

Faster? They can be faster no doubt, just like they can be faster at calculating the square root of 1545487457777 but they can only do what they are programmed for.
    I know I'll break many hearts here but, in my opinion, this search for the perfect "AI" in AC is just a waste of Kunos programmers' skills and it will either end up with cheating "AI" (i.e. beyond human capabilities) or failure (just like it happens in many games). Like it or not humans have always something more (whether they crash you or beat you fairly they are just like you and that's really the first requirement to call anything a fair competition).

Basically what Stefano and Kunos are trying to make is to create a computer program that is able to emulate a human driver's behavior up to a certain reasonable level. Now we can ask ourselves: why on earth trying to create fake drivers when there is plenty of real ones available (some of those who would be willing to give money to Kunos if only they were getting better human to human interaction)?

Last edited: May 20, 2015
    HONDAHOLIC, mistery, Bræm and 2 others like this.
  17. zaratul

zaratul Hardcore Simmer

Thanks a lot. That was needed :)

18. GRFOCO

GRFOCO Alien

A light at the end of the tunnel :D

19. 4yrton Senn4

4yrton Senn4 Simracer

no and probably never will
    That's all I needed to hear

I got a bit concerned there for a moment

Thanks Aristotelis

A.r.e.s. likes this.
  20. mistery

mistery Hardcore Simmer

Really wish devs would not waste their time more on AI. There is just no fun racing "AI" in a sim. That is a Need for Speed title thing. I agree with @brioche on this. Good AI seems impossibly difficult to program, and even when they get decent, good drivers will still find their weak points and cry foul play on forums so this will be a never ending debate where devs never win. Better AI would likely improve sales though but there is no longevity in it, you can't make them as random as humans are.

My logic is this: would you rather race a preset code over and over again in a sim or real people, despite T1 crashers? I can see AI important in games that you finish (arcade, titles mostly) with a campaign/story. You don't "beat" AC like you beat Underground2 for example. You mostly reuse the same content in about the same way, skill being one of the very few variables. That means in this case the AI is a nice distraction for 20-30 hours until most people will get bored and delete AC. It's like playing Counter strike against bots. Even if they were good, after 20 hours (more like 5) there is nothing new they can throw at you.

Would like it if development would treat this as the least priority and focus on multiplayer, more content, more functionality features and bug squashing.
    This is just my 2 cents which will likely be considered a sacrilege by the majority forum members. :)

Tucker73 and brioche like this.
  21. I understand what you mean, but at least AI drivers aren't reckless n00bs who are still trying to work out what steering wheels and brakes are for. Some people prefer to stay clear of the online apocalypse, and enjoy racing the AI drivers precisely because of their relative predictability. To be honest, I wouldn't even dream of starting a race against AI drivers from anywhere other than last place on the grid. For me, the enjoyable part of racing AI drivers is making my way through the pack. In fact, that's what I do most of the time online against real opponents. Unfortunately, with that comes the (significant) risk of getting trapped in a game of racecar pinball at T1 because one or two guys can't be bothered to show some respect for the other drivers on track. I have been racing online in Assetto Corsa on public servers for months now, and do you know how many times I have seen everyone get around T1 without a pileup?

Two.

That's probably enough information to convince a rather large number of drivers to steer clear, and enjoy more predictable races against the AI.