1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

High cpu usage after 1.3.2?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by mrs1986, Oct 14, 2015.

1. mrs1986

mrs1986 Rookie

Hi, I'm pretty new to the game and I have one question.

Yesterday was playing alone, in Mugello, with the 98T and suddenly I went out of the track, as I'm going thruogh the grass and tarmac half and half I noticed a lag, and fps drop.

That really caught my attention as I had played before in this same track with the same car and 23 IA cars and it was perfect smooth. So I alt+tab and check the resources on msi afterburner, the cpu usage was quite high, something like 80-90%.

Anyway, the CPU still had some room so I doubt it is the problem.

Anyone experimented something like this?

Could be the resolution? Making the processor to work harder? I'm using DSR at 2560x1440 because the AA is quite bad...

My machine is a 4690k@4.0 16gb ram and GTX 970 G1 and running the game from an SSd...

Thanks a lot for any input.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Multiplayer CPU high in Server stats - my CPU or Server CPU? May 24, 2023
    ACC Multiplayer Dedicated Server - CPU load issues on higher spec machine Dec 15, 2020
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues low fps even on high performance GPU/CPU Nov 6, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer High CPU Usage with BIG (40+) MP Grids May 30, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting cpu high load Apr 5, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting Constant High Cpu Load which results in micro freezes Jan 9, 2020
    Chit Chat Room High CPU temps with Sol mod Dec 30, 2019
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Abnormally high CPU usage Jul 15, 2019
    ACC Troubleshooting Very high CPU usage in Multiplayer Jan 21, 2019
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Low FPS / High Main_T with low CPU Usage Jan 14, 2019
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds High CPU Load Using OpenVR Mar 3, 2018
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues High CPU Use On Core 1 and 2 When In Fullscreen Rendering Jun 9, 2017
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds high CPU usage (93%) Jun 2, 2017
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Problem with high CPU load when online Jan 29, 2017
    Chit Chat Room High CPU usage and car behavior Dec 18, 2016

3. megaCoffee

megaCoffee Simracer

It's the smoke / dust. My framerate always takes a nose-dive when there is a lot of it onscreen.

Mogster likes this.
  4. mrs1986

mrs1986 Rookie

I know, but that never happens even with full grid, so that is why i was asking...

5. kevje

kevje Racer

Also got the same issue with dust from the kitty litter. This makes AC unplayable in a league format when someone goes off track everyone elses FPS drops very low...

6. dermonty

dermonty Hardcore Simmer

why not just disable the smoke then?

7. mrs1986

mrs1986 Rookie

My problem is not like that, it happened one time, and the cpu usage went too high, thats why i was asking if it was normal in this new version or if it was something else...
    That could be a possibility for him...

8. mrs1986

mrs1986 Rookie

Sorry double post...

9. kevje

kevje Racer

So I wont know when someone locks up his brakes? :p
    Ive set it to low, and while the fps still drops its isnt as extreme as on the higher settings.

Oh my bad. I havent actually checked what happens with the cpu/gfx load when some dust appears, but if its a seperate issue then ignore me ^^
    That said, my system and settings are similar to yours. i7, gtx970, but only 6gb ram. I also run 4x supersampling, and still keeping my fps around 80-120 most of the time. Smoke on high drops it to 15-20 though. Medium smoke 25-45 and smoke on low dips it down to 50-70 give or take a few frames.

10. mrs1986

mrs1986 Rookie

You use it in "4k" resolution? Wich settings are you using? I tried that and it wasnt playable at all...

11. kevje

kevje Racer

Well I dont have everything put on ultra, that wont end well^^

---

Resolution: 1920x1080@144hz
    Fullscreen rendering ticked
    vsync: OFF
    framelimit 155 (but it wont reach that anyway)
    4x Anisotropic Filtering
    4x Anti-aliasing Samples
    World detail: Very High (1 tick under maximum)
    Shadow Resolution: High (1 tick under ultra)

Smoke Resolution: Low
    Show smoke in mirrors ticked
    Enable post processing effects:
    Preset Default
    Overall effect quality: High (1 tick under ultra)
    Glare quality: High (1 tick under ultra)
    Depth of Field quality: High (1 tick under ultra)
    Color saturation: 100%
    Motion blur: OFF
    Crepescular rays ticked
    Heat Shimmering effects ticked
    Fast approximate anti-aliasing OFF

Mirror resolution: High
    High quality mirror reflections: OFF
    Reflection quality: Medium
    Reflection rendering frequency: Static

---

Those are my current settings, but nothing is set in stone. The game looks great, mostly because of the 4x supersampling.
    Upping more things by putting them on ultra will likely show very minuscule differences or no differences at all, while taking a large FPS hit.
    My intentions are to obviously make the game look as good as it possibly can, but with the framerate staying around 90 and more importantly I dont want it to dip down much, if at all.

I am curious if the dust/smoke killing the framerate is more of an isolated problem or if more people have problems with it, maybe its an issue with supersampling but im no expert...

Well, I hope its useful info anyway :)

KillZoneGB likes this.
  12. KillZoneGB

KillZoneGB Simracer

Hi kevje,

Not Ultra, mix bag of options and so on.
    (low smoke)

Don't have a problem with Down sampling, with my GPU card.

but I do have a Vram ceiling :-

• 2048X1152X32 @ 60hz Down sampled to my native res of 1360X768X32 @60hz.
    • 2 gig vram used
    • 60 to 170fps depending on scene in hand.
    Wish I could go higher, but alas me GPU Ent good enough :(

if I enforce the X8 AA, I would go over my Vram Limit, and that would tank my system.
    Roll on next year, upgrade time......

Anyhoo
    • Q: High cpu usage after 1.3.2?
    • A: not on the 5820K@4.2 (4.4 if needed) X79 platform
    • CPU ticking along nicely and on the 64bit version the gpu is nicely pegged @ 99%

13. HoolioGT6

HoolioGT6 Rookie

Try downloading SweetFX, it's as good as super sampling without the FPS hit. It's included with the Natural Graphics mod, which you should have as well.

14. mrs1986

mrs1986 Rookie

Could you please elaborate a little more on this?
    Thanks.

15. HoolioGT6

HoolioGT6 Rookie

Hi there, there s a GFX mod called Natural Graphics mod which in my opinion greatly improves the the colours, set it in the AC menu to Nat Int. . Alongside this you can download the SweetFX mod which again, greatly improves the overall sharpness. I normally change the Lumasharpen setting within SweetFX to around point 85. Go to RaceDepartment, click on AC downloads, then miscellaneous and look for the Natural Graphics mod. Follow the instructions carefully, you won't regret it, once installed it looks fabulous. You may have to reboot your PC to get it up and running. My FPS rarely goes below 80 to 90 even with up to twenty four cars running. The majority of settings are on Ultra and I run a 970 card with an I7. When I have time tomorrow I will paste my settings within the Nvidia control panel which I copied from someone else, seems to work very well.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  16. mrs1986

mrs1986 Rookie

Thanks a lot Hoolio, I will give it a try!

17. HoolioGT6

HoolioGT6 Rookie

If SweetFX has been installed correctly you will see a message in the top left hand corner of the load screen saying "Crosfire has loaded successfully".