1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

How do you know when there's no more room for improvement?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Piret2000, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Piret2000

Piret2000 Racer

Let's say that you come across a new track that you've never try or even seen before, and you start to learn it.

How do you know that you are doing laps that are coming closer to the fastest lap in that track?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Controls & Peripherals There's some way to ran SimHUb Shake it in ACC? Feb 5, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer There's no server API yet right? May 14, 2019
    ACC General Discussions every there's another car my cpu is below 1.00 May 10, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Could the AI stop pushing if there's someone in front, please? Mar 11, 2019
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds I've just bought the game and on start up there's an error message. Jul 16, 2018
    Console Lounge There's one kerb @ Nords that kills GT3-class AI cars every single race (videos included). Jan 28, 2017
    XBox One Discussions AC best sim on console yet, but there's still something to do. Sep 2, 2016
    Physics Bugs & Issues AI stop when there's a car on the side of the track Jul 15, 2016
    Physics Bugs & Issues There's no auto-clutch on official cobra Aug 9, 2015
    Physics Bugs & Issues There's something strange in the 4c (and elises probably) Aug 5, 2015
    ACC General Discussions An official Assetto Corsa discord server please. (iracing, raceroom, and gt7 has one) Mar 16, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting Can't get liveries to show in showroom May 17, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Intermittent stuttering with loads of headroom Apr 9, 2022
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Shadows in showroom not showing [custom engine.ini file overriding game settings] Oct 10, 2021
    Chit Chat Room How to open multiplayer chat room in ACC (key binding) Sep 28, 2021

3. azzah

azzah Simracer

Short, but flippant answer:
    There's always room for improvement.

Slightly longer and earnest version:
    I know where I'm at by comparing my times with those of my peers. That's usually also the point where I find out how to improve further.

To be honest, even though I'm pretty sure I answered your question, I'm doubtful I told you what you actually wanted to know. Would you mind clarifying a bit?
    What do you consider a "fastest lap", are you talking about hotlapping or just learning the track enough so you can join others in a race?
    Why did you leave the comparison with other people out, it seems to me as it was the "obvious" answer...

4. Nao

Nao Alien

You organize a competition with prizes. Then if it ends up being on fist page of wall street journal you can be pretty sure the results are "fastest".

Otherwise i'd say it comes with experience. Well at least for simpler tracks with clear cut limits and well balanced car.
    If you don't >know< if your lap is fastest then it likely isn't one. Fastest laps aren't about "i can't go any faster" but rather "i drove really close to optimum there".
    And how do we know optimum? The line theory isn't that complicated in basic 2D space with ideal car and firm track limits. But the more variables you throw at it the more gaps you'll be patching with experience. So it will be both subjective and skill dependent. I think an alien driver could have a good estimate of what is possible for given combo (car/track/conditions) even if he could not do such time in the short amount of practice spent on it, because he knows what lines he should be striving for.

But to give you a tip, when you "hit a wall" and can't get any faster. Try modifying your lines a little bit for each corner (mostly by varying entry and exit speed, but also on taking more or less kerbs). If you manage to get very similar delta times at the end of following straight, you are close to the "fastest". But if a small change in line causes a big time loss, you are likely far from optimum. Well at least for the common corners, you can't do much for the "just send it!" corners except for throwing enough laps and crashes onto the wall until something brilliant sticks, but even then it's likely skill or setup limited so you never know.

azzah likes this.
  5. Turk

Turk Alien

You can take part in the special events, or compare your times to the real world records.

f.e.negroni likes this.
  6. Piret2000

Piret2000 Racer

I'm asking for what I have to feel when the car is at his limit, cause I can do a lap that's awesome for me, when I think I'm feeling the car at his maximun grip limit, just to see later some dude going 10-20 km/h faster than me into every corner.

How do you now when you're close tho the optimun lap? What do you feel in the wheel? That's what I'm asking, cause I've no clue

Yea, but I'm asking more about what I should be feeling from the car, sorry to all of you, I should have specified it

7. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

You feel nothing. Just keep an eye on your delta when you experiment with getting through corners in different ways without overdriving. But do overdrive when practicing, because that will also help you find the limit. Make mistakes. Other than that I think it's just intuitive.
    Also note that different people have different limits. Some people are just able to carry more speed through corners than other people, may it be because of their driving technique or setup. You have to find your own limit.

Freddie Seng likes this.
  8. Piret2000

Piret2000 Racer

I know that I'll never see a 99 PC, but is fun to try and reach my limit.
    So, you don't feel anything, but if you are in the limit and turn the whell or press the gas a little you fall into a mistake? Is that what the limit should be?

9. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

The more I think about it, you can actually feel it when you're close to the limit, but it's more instinctively than some magical feeling through the wheel. I dunno, I'm probably not the best person to explain it xD

I've recently installed Kyalami for AC. First laps I go slow, learn the track layout, look where I roughly have to brake and turn in. Then I build a bit more speed, look if I can brake later or should brake earlier, experiment with turning in and carrying speed through corners. Then I get a basic idea of how to drive the track and I start working on building consistency. While I'm building consistency I'm still experimenting with corners and braking. After a while I can instinctively tell in which corners I can still find time. I keep experimenting with those corners until I have a good idea of how to drive them. Some corners are hard to master and do perfectly each time, so I just kinda improvise a bit. Good example is on Paul Ricard track, the long right hander after the right hander of the Mistral Straight, called Beausset. I know how to basically drive it, but I use steering angle, brake and throttle to adjust while I'm cornering.
    That's how I personally find my own limit.

If you're really struggling with certain corners, it can be a good idea to watch other people drive the track on youtube or whatever.

Freddie Seng, Piret2000 and azzah like this.
  10. Nao

Nao Alien

Ah, that changes the matter a bit.
    There is nothing to feel in the wheel. In theory the FFB strength should start to drop when approaching the grip limit. But it's more complicated, and on the road to getting a feel for this effect you'll find better ways to get a sense of the limit. So i'd say forget it. FFB is a good tool to know >when< to do things, for knowing >how much< visual and audio cues are better.

For "beginners" one cool tool to "see" the limit is tyre slip indicators. They can tell you if you are using grip of the car to the full potential. The very basic version of it is the Car Control widget that tells you if you are "too slow" or "too aggresive". AFAIR it normally only shows during the introduction to the game but you can turn it on in options to see it when normally driving (can't remember where exactly).
    One step further from that is an app that tells you slip angles (in AC few apps did it including one stock one - suspensions dev app). If you are interested i can link an old abandoned project of mine that should still work for ACC (needs SimHub to work). The app shows you a bar that fills up as you use more grip and turns red when you cross the it separately for each tyre (just like the ones in AC). It won't help you drive better lines thou, and you need both proper lines and pushing tyres to the limit properly to do fastest laps. I mentioned in previous post how to feel if you are on proper lines.

There are also audio cues, which are similar to tyre tyre slip (as the tones are basically dependent on slip). If this was AC i could give some advice for how to use sound, but i'm not sure about ACC... Which brings me to last point, the reason why i'm not really using audio, slip angle or FFB cues to judge the limit: the YAW.

Car yaw speed (or turning speed) is the holly grail of car control, the better your sensitivity to car yaw the faster you'll go. Basically fast drivers know how quickly the car is able to rotate at any given speed, so they literally see the limit of the car by looking out of their windshield. This is also why low FoV is important and why many coaches teach drivers to look far ahead when driving, as both improve the sensitivity to yaw and speed which is needed to accurately know the maximum rotation rate of the car. As car at maximum rotation rate is at it's limit.
    For a non downforce car the connection of speed and turning rate is pretty linear, so if you learn just a few points where you are sure car was on the limit of grip it's possible to extrapolate that into any other situation, where more speed = smaller maximum rotation (and vice versa).

@Oblit0r The causality here might be a problem. That "instinctive magical feeling through the wheel" could be the "effect of" not a "cause for" driving on the limit. As the better you drive the less you struggle with steering, less pushing the wheel around means more to feel the forces coming from it.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    Nesja and Piret2000 like this.
  11. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

I think you misread my post :p I said the feeling of driving on the limit is instinctive, there's no magical feeling from the wheel.

Nao likes this.
  12. Nao

Nao Alien

"than", then, done, do, damn, done, goofed :p:p

Oblit0r likes this.
  13. Nesja

Nesja Racer

When lap after lap your delta doesn't go green at any part of the track anymore.

Freddie Seng and Piret2000 like this.
  14. Piret2000

Piret2000 Racer

That's actually something I've never heard, thank you

15. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

but also doesn't go red anymore ;)

Freddie Seng and Salvatore Amato like this.
  16. Captain Barracuda

Captain Barracuda Hardcore Simmer

You can achieve this by doing laps with the pit limiter on :oops:

Piret2000 likes this.
  17. what you are asking is impossible.

18. Nao

Nao Alien

Actually, one question about that. I've only recently noticed that the grey delta of [0.000] works differently for some people. For me it seems to have up to 0.05s (maybe more) of spread of static [0.000] between green and red which is strange when red starts at -0.001 and green starts at 0.001. I even drove almost a full lap with delta firmly never changing from 0.000, which kind of was a problem as i was trying to compare line performance with it. But i recently saw a video where a somebody was going very close to 0.000 delta, and it was quickly switching green/grey/red on straight.

Is this CPU timing related? a feature that stops the red/green flicker? a bug? am i cursed?

Piret2000 likes this.
  19. Piret2000

Piret2000 Racer

Definitely cursed

Nao likes this.
  20. Captain Barracuda

Captain Barracuda Hardcore Simmer

To actually add some value to the thread (rather than my earlier post), there is always room for improvement.

There will come a time where you hit what feels like the limit on the track and focusing on hot lapping will certainly the easiest way to find yourself in a rut/on the limit - or specifically on your limit for your current skill level and pace.

I think it's important to focus on effective practise rather than just hotlapping or trying to improve your absolute best lap time until the cows come home. If you feel like you're not gaining time anymore, focus your efforts elsewhere to round out your skills, refresh your perspective. There are a number of ways that help me;

• Focus on race set up for a while. Even if you never find another thousandth of a second in hotlap pace you can almost always find time across a full tank run. This is what wins races. Qually pace helps but the guy who can punch out laps and attack on lap 1 and lap 20 of a tyre set with an aero balance that has vastly shifted as the car drops fuel is the one who will have greater success. This is both a combination of good race setup and good race driving (managing tyre deg etc and finding setup advancements that reduce wear - this is almost always different to your hotlap setup)
    • Drive different tracks. If you've hit a wall go race at a different track for a while. It will reset your thinking and your muscle memory a bit.
    • Train with long fuel runs. An extension of point 1, often doing a 30 minute stint will yield better hotlaps after it than just trying to improve your best lap endlessly. You relax and settle into a rhythm and get your eye in in the process.
    • Spend some time thinking about what the car is doing while you're not actually in game. It can be easier to be objective when you don't have adrenaline pumping. Really think about and identify root cause of issues. Oversteering mid corner? In the heat of the moment you might identify this as oversteer and dial more understeer into the car, when it actual fact you're understeering on entry and breaking into oversteer mid corner as a result, so a different remedy is required... this is the kind of thinking that can sometimes be hard when in the car and rushing to get results. I will often run 'review meetings' with myself after testing and write down a bunch of observations, and think and come up with things I want to try for next time. This can be setup changes, but often it's just a frank assessment of my driving and will actually result in me just changing my technique into a corner.
    • Don't get ahead of yourself. It will take time, you're being very proactive with your postings regarding improving which is great. Sometimes it just takes time and miles, don't get frustrated if it takes time :)
    • Train with AI. Do long race runs with them and work on being able to cleanly pass them on different parts of the track. It's easy to pick out 1 or 2 obvious spots where AI can be exploited and overtaken, but purposefully try to orchestrate an overtake tactic somewhere else on the track. There are really clever ways to set up overtakes and work an opponent out of track position which will both catch them by surprise, and gain you track position.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    Tim Meuris, Beckers, Turk and 3 others like this.
  21. Dobermann92

Dobermann92 Racer

Years and years of simracing. I started it back in 2015 and my times still 5-6 seconds off from the fast people. If you didn't start your simracing career back in the early 2000s then you have to practise it a lot, because you missed a lot of things just like I did.

Piret2000 likes this.