1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

How to practice: Full pace or have a bit of fun?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Poguinhas, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

I've been hearing and reading some interesting things regarding practice: I've read somewhere that sometimes, when you push way too hard in practice, you kind of stop feeling the car, and then you don't notice your mistakes, and get pretty much stuck at the same pace because you're pushing so hard your brain can't process all the information you're getting. So a good step is to do a few laps focusing more on feeling the car, sort of just driving around rather than trying to beat your PB.
    Another interesting thing is what Max said after his drive (here) in Brazil. That a lot of what allowed him to do what he did wasn't full on practice, but actually those weekends messing around with your friends, because you aren't focused on performance, and then you allow yourself to try new things, and with that you end up learning things you wouldn't learn while taking it really seriously.
    I, personally, for pretty much a year after I got into sim racing, would just practice with the same sort of car (GT cars mainly) on just a few circuits, always trying to beat my best times. After that I got bored and started driving a lot of different cars, especially those really difficult to drive (Sauber C9, Lotus 49), and after I got back into GT cars and did some practice my pace was well improved.

To sum it up: I'd like to know from you guys, especially the fast ones, what is best. Should I pick a car and do thousands of laps on just a few circuits, or do you reckon you learn more from taking several different cars on many different circuits, and focusing on feeling the car and trying new things rather than beat a time?

Alexandr66 likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues Monza '66 (full course) lap time doesn't reset on first start/finish cross during practice or qualy Aug 31, 2016
    Chit Chat Room AI painfully slow in Race Weekend practice... Apr 14, 2014
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Practice glitch on Challenge Cars? Apr 17, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Career mode vs practice mode Feb 20, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting UE4-AC2 - Fatal error! In the middle of the practice / RTX4090 Jan 31, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting ACC2.exe 1.8.18 not responding after lauch a practice session Oct 31, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Unable to leave garage to start race or even practice May 2, 2022
    ACC Gameplay GT4s in custom race weekend practice Jan 30, 2022
    ACC Gameplay Not all cars are in single player practice mode Dec 20, 2021
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Dry line at the beginning of wet Practice and Hotlap session Dec 17, 2021
    ACC Multiplayer Practice and Qually filter Dec 12, 2021
    ACC Gameplay multiclass practice session GT4 AI skip most of practice Nov 26, 2021
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds When trying to start a race, practice or on a friends server, the game boots me back to the menu. Aug 28, 2021
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Launcher works but unable to start Race/Practice Jul 1, 2021
    ACC Multiplayer 1.7.11 - Free Practice and Quali timetable mismatch Jun 23, 2021

3. hazardic

hazardic Alien

definitely to try something new to relax the brain, no matter how you achieve it - by driving oldies or plain another kind. Me personally is a lame driver in terms of getting pace time like in RL, but i always get pleasurr of feeling the car. The race just give more improvement of this feeling

4. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

IMO thats true, it is not good to drive full pace everytime all the time. I think it is good to drive in all modes. For beginning it should definitely be the best thing to start from very slow. I like this example which I learned from one bboy when I used to breakdance hahaha: It is always better to do things slow at first, for example if little kids are learning to write their first letters without patience it is more likely that their handwriting ain't going to be nice, but if they'll try to craft every letter with great patience then it is more likely that they will have good and probably faster handwriting. I think it is true. LOL I wish I spent more time with each and every letter.

I never understood whats the point of AC time attack mode and events, as you have to drive very slow at first and gradually increase pace to collect those points (I always collect 2-3times more than needed for gold lol). But I guess thats exactly the point - to teach realistic manner of driving around circuit, I bet thats how ordinary people drives around circuits in reality, very slow at first.

This just came to my mind. Uhlenhaut talks about this, starts from ~1:00:00:

But we usually don't have time to spend 20-30 minutes for slow laps :D

I think online racing with competitive drivers and without noobs is good way to learn too.

5. PhenOm

PhenOm Alien

Do a mix of both, do some laps on pace and some laps "fuel economy". try to go at a good speed while saving fuel like they would do irl. It works for me, mostly, but since I'm not normal I can never drive a full race at the same pace.

6. ouvert

ouvert Alien

changing pace, changing lines

7. Trezoitao38

Trezoitao38 Simracer

Lotus 49 is just a must for every driver. This car reveals the style of the driver, all your goods and bads. When you drive a car like this, you can see your mistakes, your bad habits. Its a proper car to mastering you style of driving, because every input you make, the car will behaviour, every single % of more or less throthle will make a difference on your lap times. Dont have any downforce, the aero is just for cut the air and gain speed on straights. Dont have any kind of assist, the car is very light, but the suspension is soft, you have to deal with the weight of the car, with the balance of the chassis, everytime. It seems like a easy car to drive for a semi profissional driver, but when consider all these facts, its not, because this car will you punish things that others cars dont, a semi profissional can do a real judgment of yourself after drive this car, and make yourself a better driver.

Fabri Fibra, gregack and rge75 like this.
  8. Slamdrunken

Slamdrunken Racer

To learn how to carry speed through the corners you should pick an underpowered car & do full laps only on 5th or top gear, one mistake & you will spend half a lap trying to recover the speed.

9. PhilS13

PhilS13 Alien

There is no real need to be mixing it up in other cars to find laptime. If that happens, it means you are lacking in the ability to observe your own driving. If you can't observe your own actions and correct them, THEN, the only way to change is to go do a "reset" in other cars and come back.

You should, at some point, get to a level your are not thinking anymore about your actions, your subconscious does all of that. Your conscious mind is then free to observe what is happening, analyse and decide where trying other things might give better laptime.

If you never get to that level, then you get stuck in your bad ways, repeat them over and over, can't improve anymore and then the only way to get out of there is to drive something very different and come back free of bad habits.

10. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

I'd say that "automatic mode" where you don't think about your actions anymore is important during races, where you shouldn't be trying anything radically new. But for practice I think it's important to take your time and feel the car. Of course there's no need to practice in different cars, but if you do, not only it can help you get rid of your bad habits, but it will also let you enjoy the sim a lot more. AC has so many great cars from all eras and categories, and I can say from my own experience that if you only practice with a single type of car, on a limited number of circuits, without ever getting out of your comfort zone, you're keeping yourself from enjoying all the content the sim provides.

Christopher Low and PhilS13 like this.
  11. Skybird

Skybird Alien

When doing a new track or car, just focus on driving clean. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat...With consistency comes speed all by itself. If your lap times vary by several seconds, then you still lack consistency. Its no use then to want pushing it.

Its like with learning to do inline skating: clean technique is the Alpha and Omega. If you push for power and strength while still having a lousy technique, you will not pass beyond a relatively low skill level. You will also waste your strength.

You can see it in open server MP: people trying to push it beyond their limits, and as a result not stopping to spin out in turns, or messing up their braking and then spin.

So: relaxed concentration, maintaining a relaxed focus. No pushing. Pushing and dogfighting is for you once you can trust your skill to control your car, no matter what.

And do not get distracted or upset when you loose control in a situaiton and only just save the car - if there is no scratch in your paint and no spin as a result and no crash into somebody else, it shows that you improve - you regained control in a situation where before control was lost and would have crashed you. That means you did somethign right after ioyur mistake, which often is that you did not do any abrupt manouvers that would have made it even worse.

Clean technique. No premature pushing. Pushing is for the very advanced levels. Find you rythm, keep it, win consistency. Then speed comes all by itself.

12. gregack

gregack Racer

When I started to play AC, I basically didn't care about laptimes. I just messed around all the time, overdrove the car on purpose, catching slides, locking the tyres, etc. -just for fun. Maybe you don't get much faster with that method BUT it really helps a lot to feel the car.
    Today I'm not really fast by any means but my carcontrol is pretty decent imho.

So my advice would be (I know some will disagree): First become a good driver THEN become a good racing-driver.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  13. Salajutsu

Salajutsu Hardcore Simmer

Here's what I have:

Expectation: You can practice with one car until you feel you've reached your max. The next time, you'll have expectations that make it easier to get right out there and keep your pace around the same level. The next time you'll have expectations from the last time, to do the same. The next time, you've exhausted those same options, and expected nothing less. The next time you expected nothing less, but got less. This gets old, and the frustration sets in. Eventually you'll find that you haven't really learned anything time and again. What you've come to expect has narrowed your possible outcomes to very few options.

Adaptation: While most of us knows every corner of nearly every track in AC through repitition, many may still not even noticed the tree lines, or small objects, slightly changing the perception of corners, braking zones, etc. Different driving styles (drifting, racing, hotlapping, etc.) will open your perception a bit for every corner on a particular track. This will increase your options, and increase the possibility of learning more.

All driving types play a part with others: Drifting can decrease the level of intimidation over the limit. Rally driving can get your eyes UP and take in more of the picture, as you need to know where you're going at all times (studying tree lines and the flow of objects, while trying to perceive at a moment's notice) F1 can give you experience in downforce basics. GT driving can give you consistency. Mid field racing forces you to take different paths. Putting all this together makes any one part of driving technique easier to perceive. Sometimes, my fastest lap isn't the most intended one, but I'll take it ;)

Fun: When it stops being fun, or less passionate, you most likely won't improve. Kick back and relax with a different form of driving. Do some Euro Truck, or even just play around on a hillclimb. Any sort of wheel turning action is a part of muscle memory as well. As long as you're enjoying it.

Come back: Return at a later date to the goal you want to reach. You may start out slowly all over again, but this, time, your perception and patience have improved.

Personally, I recommend drifting. It's fun and you learn a lot in a whole different way. Next time you come back to that 550hp race-ready monster, it won't seem as intimidating at lower speeds.

Since racing and lap times include being under, over and on the limit, it's good to experience all extremes.

14. This is something that I am doing on Gunja's Middleweight/Heavyweight road car servers at the moment. I prefer to select a car that I do not yet have a "feel" for, and stick with it until I have managed to tweak the setup to a point where I feel reasonably comfortable. I started with the Mercedes SLS AMG, and then switched to the Lotus Evora GTE Carbon. I have since moved on to the Mazda RX7 Tuned. This one is easier to control, but for some reason I am not all that quick in it. That being the case, I am going to stick with it until I have worked out how to drive it! I could easily pick a faster and/or more stable car from the list, but that would be a waste of a good opportunity.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  15. rge75

rge75 Simracer

Since it's a hobby, it should always be "for fun" ;-) Seriously though, I'd say driving different cars isn't bad even though I have my preferences. Just lately I drove the Taurus which I hardly ever do and did some online races. After that, I did an online race with the Lotus 49 at Silverstone and for whatever reasons I made a new pb. I still think there must have been something wrong because I drove the Lotus many, many times on Silverstone when it came out and I didn't manage to improve. But yesterday, I just did a "clean" lap. I think I braked earlier and I didn't push at all - but with that said, I probably drove a better, cleaner line and I was able to accelerate earlier (just a guess). So like some people already mentioned above, sometimes it's good to "reset". I'd say it went a lot better yesterday because I didn't "try" to get faster. I just drove.