1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

I5 VS i7 ACC VR

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Kalamede, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Kalamede

Kalamede Racer

Considering this type of game which is very CPU intensive, I wonder if an I7 performs worthly against an i5.
    Youtube comparisons leaves the i5 in a really great position (i5 8600k vs i7 8700k or the same on 9th gen are almost equal)

I am a VR player (Oculus Rift), and without VR ACC performs great (full grid rain ~59fps everything high), with it I am only able to play hotlaps or stutter comes at race events, no matter if I put everything on OFF and LOW,.
    I already tried every kind of configurations out there until I ended thinking my pc specs are not enough, so I'm considering buying a new motherboard and processor at black friday this year

My pc specs, as my SPOILER says: i5 7500, GTX 1070 16gb RAM since frebruary 2017

Thanks for your oppinions

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions ACC Will it get cross party not just cross play on consoles? Saturday at 3:02 PM
    ACC Physics Does ACC not implement real life braking mechanics?(Need some insights on this recent youtube video) Mar 16, 2024
    ACC Multiplayer Communicating with accServer.exe (previously acRemoteServerUDP) Mar 14, 2024
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Time of Day adjustment on AC Server Maker stuck at 8:00-18:00 even though I have full version ACCM Mar 2, 2024
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC on PC with Controller | Race Element /ps5 controller activate triggers Feb 28, 2024
    ACC Tools ACC will not recognise my Elgato steamdeck Feb 15, 2024
    Bug reports ACC Restrictor parameter Feb 7, 2024
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room ACC Official Server higher requirement Jan 30, 2024
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room ACC LEAGUE AUSTRALIA Jan 29, 2024
    ACC Tools ACC Time Trial Jan 24, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting ACC me funciona mal Jan 17, 2024
    ACC Tools ACC Telemetry - timing gaps Jan 15, 2024
    ACC Multiplayer Dedicated Server shows up in Lobby without ping value and cannot be accessed Jan 11, 2024
    ACC Controls & Peripherals What's happened to ACC FFB Jan 3, 2024
    ACC Physics Differentiate AC and ACC Shared Memory With Different Naming. Jan 3, 2024

3. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Johngrim64 and dek like this.
  4. Kalamede

Kalamede Racer

Much appreciated, my RAM is 3200mhz, but I think my motherboard only supports to 2133mhz (it says so the task administrator at least)
    Now I am going to investigate over there in VR enviroments

5. sps_for_race

sps_for_race Alien

Your MB supports 4266 DoubleData Rate RAM.
    Just like Girls losing pounds and gaining kg.

6. Kalamede

Kalamede Racer

Excuse me but how do you know how many mhz my MB support? I mean it seems nonsense:
    Task administrator says 2133mhz
    My rams are supposed to be 3200mhz

3200/2 is not equal to 2133mhz
    MB specs in the seller website says: MB supports DDR4-3600+(OC)
    Is dual channel tweaking some number here?
    I am for sure missing something

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  7. sps_for_race

sps_for_race Alien

Why don´t you just post, which MB we are talking about?

8. Ole77

Ole77 Rookie

9. Kalamede

Kalamede Racer

Sry I don't get you, RAM and motherboard are at the end of this post

Didn't know CPU's supported until x mhz quantity for RAM lol, but it makes sense since they work together

I found this in the seller website about RAM: SPD speed 2133MHz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 16GB 2x8GB CL16
    MB: MSI Z170A Gaming M3

Sry for my lack of knowledge and ty for the info!

10. Ole77

Ole77 Rookie

The SPD-Speed is a preset of timings and frequency. As your RAM is tested as DDR4-3200 you should be able to manually set it to 2400 MHz to use your CPU´s full potential.

Even if your MB supports higher DRAM frequencies than 2400 MHz your CPU does not.

Kalamede likes this.
  11. f_deutsch

f_deutsch Hardcore Simmer

If you have DDR4-3200 do not run it at 2400mhz, run it at 3200 or higher if it supports it. Even if the CPU specs states there is a limit in ram speed, running higher RAM frequencies improves performance. Me and other members here have done tests on both AC and ACC and there is a significant difference running from 1600 (DDR3), 2400 (DDR4) and 3200 (DDR4).

romandevision and LeDude83 like this.
  12. Kalamede

Kalamede Racer

Thanks for your suggestion, I already did and at least noticed a little improvement in AC1 doing benchmarks
    Did that mean my CPU was being a little bottlenecked by the RAM?

I did some tests with a button called something like "GAME BOOST" in the UEFI, take some screenshots to the stated changes and it put 2666 mhz to ram, also changed "Core Ratio Limit" which I don't know what it is, DRAM voltage from 1360V (auto) to 1350 and something more.
    Noticed a little more of the % in the performance gained by having 2133 mhz to 2400, just after a benchmark test turned it off.

Putting RAM mhz to 3200 isn't something like dangerous in some way? I mean going from 2400 max supported RAM mhz from the CPU to 3200 seems risky

EDIT: just did another benchmark for the sake of testing, pictures of all cases attached FYI, they are from ac1 no VR. (Byebye topic :p)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  13. Ole77

Ole77 Rookie

@ f_deutsch: I do not doubt running the memory at max. speed will result in higher performance.

But running it at 3200 Mhz in a Z170 Chipset means overclocking. I checked the MSI website and they have DDR4-3200 on their list of supported memory fot this MB. Still I consider this OC and it always means additional stress. Maybe no issue here, but in my opinion only recommended to those who know what they are doing.

@ Kalamede: "Core Ratio Limit" refers to the max frequency of your CPU: base clock frequency (BLCK) 100 Mhz x multipier = CPU frequency (in your case: base frequency 3,4 Ghz/max. turbo frequency 3,8 Ghz)

Your CPU cannot be overclocked by changing the "Core Ratio Limit" (setting a higher multiplier) as the max. multiplier is locked. Only Ix-xxxxK (like I5-7600K) can be overclocked by changing this ratio.

After_Midnight and f_deutsch like this.
  14. f_deutsch

f_deutsch Hardcore Simmer

If the motherboard supports those memory speeds and the memory speed is labeled to run 3200Mhz then I do not believe is overclocking. They are running at speeds they are design.

If the motherboard and the memory supports those speeds, it is not dangerous. Of course it will be limited to what the CPU can handle. Usually the CPU will take advantage of the faster memory frequencies when you are overclocking the CPU more than if the CPU is running at default speeds. In your case as @Ole77 mentioned, you have a locked CPU so I believe you will not get big gains on higher memory frequencies.

In my scenario. I have a z370 motherboard with a Corsair 2x8GB 3000Mhz, which I luckily have been able to run up to 3200Mhz without issues (tested with Prime95). My CPI is a i3-8530K which I can have it stable at 4.6Ghz.

15. magzire

magzire Alien

I have 3770k with a GTX 1060. Should I get a newer cpu, ram and mobo or just get a 2060.

16. Kalamede

Kalamede Racer

Thank you for the info guys, really valuable for me at this moment.

I understand that going from 2133 mhz to 2400 decrement the cpu usage (84 to 82%) at it may be using all of its speed, the thing I dont understand is the following:
    Going from 2400 to 3200mhz of RAM lowers cpu usage from 82 to 71%.

As far as I know, the more usage of all of the component string (or the closest usage percentages between them) the better

I dont really mind to have some more stress running on equal (not higher) conditions as the speed design of my components since I am thinking on changing mobo and cpu on November, but if I get the little enough performance improvement I will probably wait another year

If I were you, I would search for benchmarks of those components, or close ones, and then this page may help you for possible hidden bottleneck problems: https//thebottlenecker.com/calculator

17. Slowheit

Slowheit Gamer

bottlenecker suggested to throw my Vega 56 away and get a really old GTX 780:D

On topic, I've just upgraded from a stuttering 4690K 4,5 Ghz to a 8700K 4,7 Ghz and it's all super smooth now. I guess 4 threads are not enough for this game. Higher RAM speed also helps in CPU limited scenarios of course.

18. Stains

Stains Simracer

I run my z170 with RAM at 3200 XMP and mobo states it can do 3800.
    Its the locked process that is limiting the RAM frequency.
    I found rather large gains going from 6600k at 4.6GHz with 2400 RAM to 7700k @4.6 and 3300MHz RAM. Maximum framerate didn't improve much but the minimum did. Also my 6600k was hitting 100% usage and 7700k is around 45-50% usage in same condition.

19. Stains

Stains Simracer

All could do with upgrading.

20. Mike1304

Mike1304 Alien

I upgraded to i9 and Gtx2080Ti and ACC still runs like $h1t in VR... ;-)

21. Kalamede

Kalamede Racer

Do you mean that you cannot reach 90fps with full grid? What about half grid or putting settings to high instead of ultra?