1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

i9-9900K is alive

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Andrew_WOT, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Doesn't look that hot in VR tests :(
    Perhaps better GPU can make the difference.

2. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

Why's he using that stupidly high resolution? First rule of CPU benchmarking in games is you minimise the GPU usage.

As for the discrepancy between the CPUs, I'd suggest that may be down to the chipset.

mms likes this.
  3. Serge M

Serge M Alien

If he used the lower resolution it would be pointless as it would be just another CPU biased test to specifically show the differences in CPU's but not actual real world performance difference, there's a heap of those benchmarks all over the place already so what would be the point of another one?

Would you care how much faster that CPU is at 1080P if you were considering upgrading to it? The real world testing is much more useful I think as it shows what the end user will actually get as far as improvement for the $ invested.

I also don't think there's much if any performance in the chipset, that was more to bring next gen USB support and some bigger power delivery guidelines which all decent Z370 boards already far exceed anyway.

Realistically if you don't use hardcore cooling and overclock them I can see how the 9900K would actually be slower then a 7700K for a lot of tasks, the 7700K would boost to higher clocks as theres just a lot less chip to cool

4. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

But it's not real world testing either if you use settings that result in 35fps. Seems a completely pointless video.

5. Serge M

Serge M Alien

I disagree as its testing the most stressful combo possible to see how the cutting edge hardware deals with it as would anyone who buys that hardware
    I'm guessing you tried to push your settings as far as possible when you got your setup? Were you at all interested in the 1080P performance?
    The takeaway from that vid is that the GPU will limit you as it will max out way before the CPU will in those particular tests.
    With my recent experience I was considering between a Ryzen 2700X and the Intel 9900K, there was no budget constraints in my build really. In 1080P benchmarks on Toms Hardware and such the Intel CPU is faster, sure, but its faster in the kind of scenario that no one who buys that CPU will use it in. I wanted to know how it would actually perform in VR at high settings, would there be a difference in me choosing the AMD over Intel? How much would I lose? Actually fairly hard info to find...

6. Stains

Stains Simracer

That test on 8700k v 9900k is completely useless ! At that resolution all the load is on the GPU and not at all a real world test ! The guy doing the benchmark has know idea ! Even asking why CPU load was so low , lol lmao

7. Serge M

Serge M Alien

He was asking why CPU load was low for onward which was showing 60% GPU load at the same time, so it seems that you may be the one that has no idea...

8. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

That's right, this guy tested at different resolutions, still the difference, if there, is negligible at best

This one compares synthetic CPU benchmarks, gaming and chipsets
    https://www.techspot.com/review/1730-intel-core-i9-9900k-core-i7-9700k/

Still does not look like it's worth it for gaming, even at 1080p.

Building new rig right now, really bummed by this new for me info as for so completely set for new 9900K. Should I just get Z390 and 8700K and save a few hundreds?

Seems like 9700K is another option.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  9. TTM

TTM Alien

I choosed 9700k to my new rig and i will spend saved euros to other parts than i9 9900k. Hopefully all parts will come before weekend, so i can test my new rig soon. :)

10. Stains

Stains Simracer

Well I'm CPU bottlenecked when my 7700k is at 60% in ACC!
    Do keep in mind that most games cannot scale perfectly across all cores and threads, so it is possible to be CPU bottlenecked while not having 100% overall CPU usage.
    I can have 99%GPU while CPU sits at 20-50% but as soon as CPU gets over 60% GPU drops to 60% and FPS drop with it!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  11. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Exactly, while the cpu utilisation shows well below 100% some threads are at 100% so effectively CPU botlenecked is the game engine doesn’t scale across to lore cores. He probably doesnt know that yet about the onward engine

12. Stains

Stains Simracer

So why did you say this on your previous reply?

"so it seems that you may be the one that has no idea..."

13. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

AC has single rendering thread, i.re single core performance bound, I even had slightly better performance disabling HT.
    Went for 9900K anyway, still provides slightly better single thread performance and perhaps future titles will benefit from 8 cores/16 threads. Upgrading usually is not cost effective, so it's better to start with the best components to stay current longer.

BrunUK likes this.