1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Driving Technique Discussion

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Karsten Beoulve, Nov 26, 2019.

1. n1lyn

n1lyn Racer

Hey Karsten would you mind sharing a telemetry file of one of your laps that you feel comfortable with? I'll produce something for you to take a closer and comparative look on inputs. Also - I might have missed that part in the thread - what are you time of day and weather settings for the hot stints you do?

2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Simracer

Take a break. Let your brain do a little bit of after-work ;)

3. Karsten Beoulve

Karsten Beoulve Simracer

I would love to. How can you do it? There's no options ingame that i can see

4. n1lyn

n1lyn Racer

just go to the electronics tab in the setup screen, set "telemetry laps" to a value and it will record as many laps in one file, which you can then find in documents/user/assetto corsa comp.../motec/ - just send the latest ldx and ld file that belong together (they have the same name)

oh and mention time of day and track settings, etc.

and something i already notice right away: turn off the head movement. it conflicts with other movements of the car that indicates over and understeer. one can sure get used to it - but i simply get confused what info the car is trying to send. unless you use vr, turn head movements off - that is my very personal suggestion

are you driving the 2018 or 2019 car and track?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  5. Karsten Beoulve

Karsten Beoulve Simracer

Driving 2019 car/track

I had camera movements off but after setting the correct fov i had to switch them on to avoid being a danger on track...

6. Luis Branco

Luis Branco Alien

TC 4 is as it is in default Safe setup.

The main thing that caught to my attention once I saw your video was the race line, mainly the track width use.
    You are very restrained in track use, as there is much more room left and, by using, gaining consecutively a tenth here, a tenth there, and in the end of the lap, with all added together, there is a significant difference.
    That seems to be the main drive difference, as I just picked the Honda and tried it as it is for the second time (first time was at Spa SE).
    I'm not pushing the car as much as possible, and less than you, but just making a better use of track width and, with it, able to accelerate sooner than you and carry more speed in several track zones.

If you take a look at both videos (yours 1'47''880 and my safe setup lap 3), you'll notice I brake sooner than you for T1 and, also, turn with less speed, but I accelerate sooner than you, so I get under the bridge, before T2, with a higher speed and gained 1 tenth.
    In T2, again, I take the turn slower than you but, again, I accelerate out of corner faster and reach the banner stand just after T3 faster, with around 5 tenth gained.
    From there until the chicane I don't gain any more time.
    However, after the chicane, I reach the ACC banner again faster and have a gained, untill then, already around 8 tenth.

This trend is consistent near on all the track and that's why there is the difference in lap time at the end of the lap.

My advice to you is, for now, simply make better use of the track width so you can carry more speed and gain time consecutively along the track.

7. n1lyn

n1lyn Racer

IF i set correct fov that some calculators determine to be "the right fov" I see nothing anymore. Drive with something where you can see enough, adjust the seat. I find this "correct fov" discussion a bit odd. I come from a time of 15" CRT monitors, "correct fov" wasnt a thing back then, we drove 90° and could still drive perfectly fine. its just getting used to. While head movements for me really destroy my feeling for the car.

I noticed some things already. In your first hotlap you had 4pm and 38°C track, while in the hot stint you had 28°C track. thats almost a second in laptime easily. Lets make sure we have same conditions when comparing things.

So what do we agree on now for the remainder of this thread in terms of track settings?

After_Midnight and Jetsun like this.
  8. Karsten Beoulve

Karsten Beoulve Simracer

Settings changed themselves? Oh man didn't touch anything myself...

Tell me what settings to use and I'll use them as fixed

9. n1lyn

n1lyn Racer

Then lets just take 4pm, and the preset "clear" on an optimum surface, which results in 37°C track. quite hot - so you have to look out to adjust pressures in the setup, no matter which set you use, but i'll get there once I did a couple laps

10. Karsten Beoulve

Karsten Beoulve Simracer

how many laps should i record? 5? 10?

11. n1lyn

n1lyn Racer

I did a 10 minute reference stint: [​IMG]

attached is the setup I used. It's the aggressive set, with adjusted pressures. I find this to be a little oversteery on throttle, because it gets quite hot. 1 more rear brake duct might solve the temperature issue. You should move brake bias further forward. Try 56% instead of my 55%.

Depending how fast you go, and how much you forcefully understeer because of insecurity, your tire pressure outcome might be rather different compared to me, but all my tires are almost on 28.0 with this after 2 laps until the end.

(sorry for invalidating the laps)

Attached Files:

12. Piret2000

Piret2000 Racer

Talking about the correct PSI, what I have to do if I overheat the tires? Put more pressure? Is the opposite correct if my tires are cold?

13. Karsten Beoulve

Karsten Beoulve Simracer

I'll give your setup a go. I made a hotstint but was really slow all along for some reasons? like 48.2 fastest when i could easily run inside 47 i'll try your setup and record some motec data too

14. n1lyn

n1lyn Racer

depends :)
    if your pressures are really off the tire will slip and heat up. if pressures are already in the window the pressures wont affect temperature too much. sometimes its down to wrong balance of the car. sometimes the track just asks a lot, sometimes its just hot on track - then you want to either adjust balance, or get some cooling via bigger brake ducts on the rear. remember the brakes go up to several hundred degrees, heat up the whole suspension, rim, tyre in the end.

maybe less camber if the track allows it and you'll eventually be faster or as fast but more comfortable = consistent. it all depends sadly

Piret2000 likes this.
  15. Karsten Beoulve

Karsten Beoulve Simracer

your setup seems amazing, but i get some weird snap oversteers, i need some more time with it. I'll post my sessions soon. Btw do you run it with 60 liters?

16. Piret2000

Piret2000 Racer

Thanks

17. n1lyn

n1lyn Racer

yes its 62l - just as you load it. its the aggressive set, i didnt change anything other than pressures and brake bias. Oh, i did lower the rear one or two clicks to get the aero a bit more to the rear, seemed too oversteery to me in that temperature

18. Karsten Beoulve

Karsten Beoulve Simracer

A session i'm unhappy with but with some okays laps. I do not trust much the setup but i can see it being really fast.

Attached Files:

Beckers likes this.
  19. n1lyn

n1lyn Racer

Alright, first of all, attached my motec file for comparison, i suggest you take a look as its really telling and you can go into more detail than i do on the following screenshots. Theres a motec setup and explanation thread by @Aristotelis somewhere on this forum.

I'm comparing both our fastest laps, being roughly 3s apart.
    First one: You'll see our brake and throttle inputs compared. more saturated color being more input. The red dot is your car, white is mine. You can see I do a lot more trail braking, It takes me less time to move from throttle onto the brake, I am earlier on and more confidently on the throttle, you are coasting A LOT and have a lot of time on 40-50% throttle, whereas I have either 100 or nothing, just sometimes in between to stabilize. Sometimes you lift where I am flat out (turn 3 for example) which is because of your line not being ideal out of turn 2.
    [​IMG]

2nd: your data is colored, my lines are white. This gives a good overview over most inputs. You can see the speed difference we have, and they are mostly on the straight, due to late throttle application on your side. you can also see how the delta in time develops throughout the lap and where you exactly lose it - and its the straight most of the time.
    Steering wise, you always have more steering angle, hence you force the car into understeer, which gives security cause you know whats happening. and this is also shown in the "oversteer" data. negative values being understeer, positive oversteer. you have a lot more understeer than I do and about no oversteer at all, pretty much because you dont use the whole track on corner exits and are very late on the throttle when the car is almost straight already.
    in the throttle graph you can see that it sometimes takes you quite long to apply the throttle fully, whereas i slam it right away most of the time when the car is settled and ready to exiting the corner. I focus a lot on corner exit as every kmh gained there you will carry over the whole straight onto the next turn. Brake input is harder to see in this graph, but you will be too hesitant, slam it. you dont do any trail braking i think, so you slowed the car down before the corner way too early, then cost until you turn in, coast through the corner and it takes several seconds before you do anything to the pedals again. This time wants to be minimized.
    [​IMG]

Here I see something else with is also true for the other gears. This is the 3rd gear. I have a lot more time spent in higher revs and I saw this in your video earlier: you shift up WAY to early. This car has a terribly castrated engine. You need to go right until the limiter to extract the power in the NSX. your shifting points should be: 111, 144, 219, 254 - just test where the limiter is and shift up shortly before. You do not need 6th on this track. The turbo in this car takes a second to bring up the power once you hit the throttle. so there will be a weight shift under throttle, that doesnt really load the rear tires until the turbo kicks in, but then its quite abrupt and will cause oversteer (for me at least) - so this car wants late apexes and deep braking, almost V-ing every 1st or 2nd gear corner that has a breaking zone ahead.
    [​IMG]

See this image for how much Gs are produced in which gear at which RPM. you can see that the next higher gear always produces less acceleration than the gear before right up until the limiter. So if you shift up too early, you miss out on acceleration. If you hit the limiter though, you lose a lot more. So its best to know the upshift points by heart and watch the speedo
    [​IMG]
    On other tabs i didnt screenshot I see your pressures being too low because you dont squeeze everything out of the tire at that speed -> temperatures lower -> pressure lower -> not enough surface of the tire being in touch with the ground. So an engineer would tell you: go faster to heat them and build pressure. so for now you could increase pressure slightly to match almost 28.0 psi all around after 2-3 laps until you become faster and then you will have to decrease again as you load the tire more and heat it more...

theres probably a lot more things to be seen, especially the line you take, but this is harder to see in the data in motec. so attached also is also my replay file so you can go through it as often as you like in every possible angle and just see where i place the car.

Hope it helps. Don't have enough time to dive deeper, sorry!

Attached Files:

20. Nesja

Nesja Racer

This car is not the most pleasant to drive with the agg setup, especially due to snap oversteer sometimes and inner kerbs sucks it in. Feels like I have to constantly hold in.
    Here are 3 laps I did, far from perfect with plenty of time still to find.
    I used the setup from n1lyn and same weather (16:00 clear).

Aliens would probably do consistent mid to low 44 with these settings and fuel load (62 l).

chksix likes this.